*** Official November 2018 Thread - It's Turkey Lurkey Time! ***

My sister lives in Texas, and they have the strictest attendance polices I've ever seen. I want to bring my nephew to Disney every year, but I never can because if he misses 5 days of school (even if he's sick), my sister would have to go to court. It's insane!!

Someone decide for me - do I keep our Garden Grill dinner ADR or do we do another restaurant at Epcot?

We're on the DDP and already planning on 1900 PF, BOG (lunch), H&V holiday dinner.

Personally I'd skip Garden Grill dinner. The breakfast is fine, but we're not fans of the dinner. It's very much like Thanksgiving dinner. And I think there are better places to eat in Epcot. How about Cape May if you want a character meal? It's not in the park, but it's just next door at the Beach Club? I haven't been there but hear good things about it.

My sister lives in Texas, and they have the strictest attendance polices I've ever seen. I want to bring my nephew to Disney every year, but I never can because if he misses 5 days of school (even if he's sick), my sister would have to go to court. It's insane!!
My sister moved from here (NY) to GA a couple years ago and it's totally insane there, too! Her oldest had 5 missed days by the end of last Feb-so only 5 days absent from early Aug through end of Feb-she got a letter to appear in truancy court AND pay a $500 fine WHAT???? She's a single mom of 3, she called the superintendent and went off on him. Asked him if he was going to babysit her boys while she went to court and if the school district was going to cover her copay since they do want a Dr note every time a kid is sick and her Dr wants to see them. She ended up not having to go to court or pay the fine. My sister is a little over the top lol but she's been through a lot the last few years!

My sister moved from here (NY) to GA a couple years ago and it's totally insane there, too! Her oldest had 5 missed days by the end of last Feb-so only 5 days absent from early Aug through end of Feb-she got a letter to appear in truancy court AND pay a $500 fine WHAT???? She's a single mom of 3, she called the superintendent and went off on him. Asked him if he was going to babysit her boys while she went to court and if the school district was going to cover her copay since they do want a Dr note every time a kid is sick and her Dr wants to see them. She ended up not having to go to court or pay the fine. My sister is a little over the top lol but she's been through a lot the last few years!
Love how your sister handled it. I think she handled it like someone from NY would. I am from NJ and that is what I would do. It sounds like a lot of school systems have over corrected for truancy. I would be very upset if my child was absent for 5 seperate days and I have to get a doctor's note to have it excused. My child is an adult and when she was in school they wouldn't let her back in school if I told them she was sick with a fever the day before and no doctor's note needed. How times have changed. Some places sound like they no longer trust parents when children are sick. I didn't take my child to the doctor unless it was something he could treat. A virus is not one. So go ahead and send your children to school so everyone else gets sick because that makes sense or I can go to court. This is ridiculous.

I would have lost it! Good for her!!!!!! That’s ridiculous!!!!

So interesting how differently all the school districts deal with the absences! I'm feeling pretty lucky right now. At 5 unexcused absences we get a note sent home. No idea what happens after that, since we've never gotten even to 5. Sick days and doctor's appointments are excused with just a note or phone call from the parents. Most years we pull our kids out for 1.5 days during Thanksgiving week to go visit family. This is the first time we're doing it for a vacation. Original plan was to pull them for 2 days on a week that they already have 2 days off, but our dates changed slightly so we're pulling them for all 3 days that week. We won't pull them out during Thanksgiving week this year, so those 3 days will probably be their only unexcused absences. They're in 4th, 7th, and 9th. I feel a little conflicted about pulling them out for a vacation, but it's the first 3 days of a new marking period so any tests and big assignments will be due before we go.

Love how your sister handled it. I think she handled it like someone from NY would. I am from NJ and that is what I would do. It sounds like a lot of school systems have over corrected for truancy. I would be very upset if my child was absent for 5 seperate days and I have to get a doctor's note to have it excused. My child is an adult and when she was in school they wouldn't let her back in school if I told them she was sick with a fever the day before and no doctor's note needed. How times have changed. Some places sound like they no longer trust parents when children are sick. I didn't take my child to the doctor unless it was something he could treat. A virus is not one. So go ahead and send your children to school so everyone else gets sick because that makes sense or I can go to court. This is ridiculous.
Yes, here they want your child "fever-free" for 24 hours before returning to school, so for instance if you get a call to pick your child up from school because they have a fever and then you attempt to send them to school the next day, you'll get another call to pick them up lol! Now in those strict states, is the day they go to school and go home sick considered an absence? Excused? Not excused? I don't need to be worrying about all this when one of my kids is sick!

We have a FP for our whole group for Navi River so that's the one we update when we're looking for FOP. But when I select the people, I just pick one person - maybe 2 - and search that way.

There are only 2 of us so I've just been searching for two and trying to update the Navi River FP for FoP. I'll just keep swimming and see if I can find something!

Yes, here they want your child "fever-free" for 24 hours before returning to school, so for instance if you get a call to pick your child up from school because they have a fever and then you attempt to send them to school the next day, you'll get another call to pick them up lol! Now in those strict states, is the day they go to school and go home sick considered an absence? Excused? Not excused? I don't need to be worrying about all this when one of my kids is sick!

It is the same here in VT. Try to bring your kids the next day and you are called to come get them. I’ve never had to keep track of our days out. We’ve never been ridiculous but my youngest is the stomach bug queen (8-10x a year) and a few years ago ds fractured his pelvis. Never even brought in a note. School was super supportive.

I just did my son's educational trip absence request. I am laughing at the reasons this trip is "educational", but the school is supportive of trips, even to Disney.
I didn’t even know these existed till last week! I filled them out for my kids by googling other people’s answers lol. But I’m thrilled our school considers a WDW trip educational!

Wow feeling pretty lucky about our schools sick day policies! We live in Ontario Canada and we just need to give the school a quick call in the morning if our kids will be absent that day. We have had teachers send students home if they are not well and tell them to stay home until they are better so they don't spread it to the rest of the class. We take our kids out of school for WDW almost every year for 8 or 9 days (we drive to WDW) and the teachers responses have always been "Have fun!!". Some teachers send work, others keep folders at school called "A catch up folder" and whenever a student is absent they just put the days work in that folder so the students can catch up when they get back. We will continue to go as long as our kids do well in school and have no problems catching up. Our 3rd child DS5 is mischievous so that may change, LOL. We will also have to switch to Canadian March Break when our oldest is in Grade 8. My cousin took her 3 out of school every year for Disney until they were in high school and then it was March Break trips. All 3 are on the Deans list now in University. I think as long as they are doing well in school it should be up to the parents if they want to take their kids out of school for vacations. I think family time is good for the kids and sometimes parents work vacation time doesn't coincide with school breaks. Well this is just my opinion, everyone knows what is best for their own family. No judgement here.:teeth:

Wow! I love hearing how the different states handle school absences. In high school (CA a few years ago) our parents just had to call the office and then we had to bring a signed note the next day and they compared it to other notes on file to make sure we didn’t forge the signature. In elementary my parents just called and said we were sick or out for personal reasons and no questions were asked. I’m sure they had something written, but it was kind of a case by case basis, they just made sure you weren’t skipping weeks and weeks of school.
We were never taken out to go to WDW but other kids were and they even sometimes gave presentations on what they learned in Disney. As a kid who loved Disney, I loved hearing about their trips!

Good for her!! She sounds very much like how I would handle it LOL
What kills me is that here in NH people take their kids out of school all the time for vacation (in fact I've done it for my cousins we've brought to Disney over the years), and we have some of the best public schools in the country. The school district in TX my nephew is in is HORRIBLE. Test scores are frequently low, graduation rates are abysmal, college attendance rates are even worse, and yet they want to haul parents to court because their kid is sick more than 5 days a year?? I feel like they have much bigger fish to fry! My nephew wants to go to Disney for my bday in May so badly, but if he misses a day or two of school it's going to throw off their plans to come. It stinks because he's such a smart kid and one of the few who actually gets good grades and loves to learn.

Y1X2aIc.gif
ClVChNh.gif
days to go! & our MagicBands shipped today!

Wow feeling pretty lucky about our schools sick day policies! We live in Ontario Canada and we just need to give the school a quick call in the morning if our kids will be absent that day. We have had teachers send students home if they are not well and tell them to stay home until they are better so they don't spread it to the rest of the class. We take our kids out of school for WDW almost every year for 8 or 9 days (we drive to WDW) and the teachers responses have always been "Have fun!!". Some teachers send work, others keep folders at school called "A catch up folder" and whenever a student is absent they just put the days work in that folder so the students can catch up when they get back. We will continue to go as long as our kids do well in school and have no problems catching up. Our 3rd child DS5 is mischievous so that may change, LOL. We will also have to switch to Canadian March Break when our oldest is in Grade 8. My cousin took her 3 out of school every year for Disney until they were in high school and then it was March Break trips. All 3 are on the Deans list now in University. I think as long as they are doing well in school it should be up to the parents if they want to take their kids out of school for vacations. I think family time is good for the kids and sometimes parents work vacation time doesn't coincide with school breaks. Well this is just my opinion, everyone knows what is best for their own family. No judgement here.:teeth:
That is how it used to be here. I don't have any children currently in school so I can't say that is still the policy in Connecticut. I grew up in New Jersey and the policy was the same as yours. It sounds to me like certain states or school districts had problems with truancy and over corrected(i.e. made ridiculous rules that sounded like they would combat the problem but in reality don't). We Americans are famous for over correcting for things IMHO. I am glad you still have reasonable rules where you are.

So according to others on the boards and past years, there is a chance of Disney extending hours for November today. Anyone wanna place bets on whether that will happen or not lol :rolleyes1

That would be great if they did. Would like a couple more late nights!

So according to others on the boards and past years, there is a chance of Disney extending hours for November today. Anyone wanna place bets on whether that will happen or not lol :rolleyes1

I looked when I first got up, but nothing yet. :confused3 I wonder what time of day it's usually done.

This is the way it should be!
Me too! Plus they're only in PreK and 1st grade, so they're not missing too much! I also think it's because they go to a private school...the school is probably just happy to have our money so they won't complain when we take off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter