*** Official OCTOBER 2021 Countdown Group - HAPPY 50th ANNIVERSARY WDW! ***

After much debate, I cancelled our package at Pop and made a room only rezzie at the Swan for Oct 7-9. There's 3 of us (me, my mom, and DD), and having two quality queen beds vs. one of us in the pull-down made the decision a little easier. We're splitting 2 days there and 3 at Universal (DD is reading the 5th HP book now and is determined to finish them all before we go), with a stay at RPR (for those express passes, of course).

We're holding off on purchasing park tickets now, as we really want to hit MNSSHP this year, and that will affect how many days we want to purchase. I'm nervous waiting because of the park reservation system, but MDE still shows the park reservations we made when we originally put the deposit on our package. We have the Swan reservation linked- if it's just a glitch that will fall off eventually if we don't link park tickets, anyone here know how long that takes?

After much debate, I cancelled our package at Pop and made a room only rezzie at the Swan for Oct 7-9. There's 3 of us (me, my mom, and DD), and having two quality queen beds vs. one of us in the pull-down made the decision a little easier. We're splitting 2 days there and 3 at Universal (DD is reading the 5th HP book now and is determined to finish them all before we go), with a stay at RPR (for those express passes, of course).

We're holding off on purchasing park tickets now, as we really want to hit MNSSHP this year, and that will affect how many days we want to purchase. I'm nervous waiting because of the park reservation system, but MDE still shows the park reservations we made when we originally put the deposit on our package. We have the Swan reservation linked- if it's just a glitch that will fall off eventually if we don't link park tickets, anyone here know how long that takes?
Stayed at Swan this past September.. LOVED it there!!! I cancelled a trip for this past December and my park reservations showed up for awhile in MDE. I cancelled them because it was depressing to keep seeing them lol! So I don’t know if they go away on their own!

No idea but I think those park reservations are linked to those specific tickets. It’ll probably just be a matter of time before they disappear.

Well, not to be a Debbie Downer, but my state (Washington) just announced that they don't anticipate the general public being able to be vaccinated until probably early fall. If many other states are as not-on-the-ball as mine, then it's not looking good for a "normal" 50th at WDW at this point.

If that's the case, we are planning to cancel (for the 3rd time), and maybe try for May 2022. :sad:

Planning to be there toward the end of October. Hopefully things will have quieted down some from whatever celebration they have at the start of the month.

Well, not to be a Debbie Downer, but my state (Washington) just announced that they don't anticipate the general public being able to be vaccinated until probably early fall. If many other states are as not-on-the-ball as mine, then it's not looking good for a "normal" 50th at WDW at this point.

If that's the case, we are planning to cancel (for the 3rd time), and maybe try for May 2022. :sad:
I got my first one on the 4th and the 2nd one will be a month from now.

I got my first one on the 4th and the 2nd one will be a month from now.
As a healthcare worker, I get my second dose in 2 days from now.

But that makes no difference - we need a threshold percentage of the entire population vaccinated in order to start opening things up.

If that threshold doesn't happen until early fall in very many states, then I don't think there is any way WDW is relaxing rules by October 1.

And if the current rules aren't relaxed, then we're not going.

As a healthcare worker, I get my second dose in 2 days from now.

But that makes no difference - we need a threshold percentage of the entire population vaccinated in order to start opening things up.

If that threshold doesn't happen until early fall in very many states, then I don't think there is any way WDW is relaxing rules by October 1.

And if the current rules aren't relaxed, then we're not going.

Totally disagree.

I have a much more optimistic outlook - yes we may still have some form of mask wearing in October, but more things will be open, some night shows will be back - well on our way to normal plus the added bonus of lighter crowds due to people still hesitant to travel!

Cases will only go down when more vaccinations are offered - Fauci said by summer everyone who wants one can get one. Heck, we are already opening restaurants/bars here in Chicago - our positive is down under 4%

October will be better! :D

Totally disagree.

I have a much more optimistic outlook - yes we may still have some form of mask wearing in October, but more things will be open, some night shows will be back - well on our way to normal plus the added bonus of lighter crowds due to people still hesitant to travel!

Cases will only go down when more vaccinations are offered - Fauci said by summer everyone who wants one can get one. Heck, we are already opening restaurants/bars here in Chicago - our positive is down under 4%

October will be better! :D
Well, I seriously hope that you are right and I'm wrong.

Chapek said something last week about expecting restrictions to continue into 2022. So I remain pessimistic.

Last edited:
Well, I seriously hope that you are right and I'm wrong.

Chapek said something last week about expecting restrictions to continue into 2022. So I remain pessimistic.
Yes, he said he expects mask wearing and social distancing to continue through 2021.

To me, that reads we will not have the return of fireworks and may not have the big celebration on 10/1/21 for the 50th that many of us have been counting on. Disney may opt to go with a televised special, shut down the park early on us type deal.

I'm not liking that idea at all.

I think the reason for the delay on Disney's end is two-fold, opposite sides of the coin: 1) out of precaution AND 2) they don't really want to higher back all those laid off employees until they know people are feeling good with travel once again.

We need the vaccine rollout to move faster. I'm particularly upset as I need to be in FL as of March and my state is dragging its heels on opening up appts to those who need it the most. Vaccinated or not, I have to go restore a house before the insurance deadlines hit.

We are booked for October 30th - November 7th at BWV! It will be our first time doing Halloween at Disney World (we did a Halloween cruise back in 2005), and I am so excited! Fingers crossed that MNSSHP happens, but even if it doesn't, we'll be happy just being able to wear our costumes and see all the decorations 🎃

We are booked at the Beach Club for Oct 24 - 29, the same week as last October. I hope most of the restrictions are lifted, but if they aren't then Disney should offer room discounts, like they did for October 2020.

I hope most of the restrictions are lifted too. We'll be there the same time as you, at Copper Creek. I really would like WDW to be as close to normal as possible, but I don't think I can cancel again this year like I did last year. Me and my kiddos have been so patient waiting for our WDW trip. We are planning on getting the vaccine as soon as my state allows us too. Hoping for the best.

We just booked the Poly on the back of our existing CR reservation for the 50th weekend as attempt #3 to reschedule our doomed May 2020 trip. Not worried about vaccination as I got shot #2 on Sunday and gf will get hers shortly, but being a binational couple on either side of the Canadian border really, really sucks right now!
I’m probably going to have to go by myself on my birthday trip the end of this May.

So our October dates are now 9/30 - 10/3 at CR and 10/3 - 10/14 at Poly. Hoping by then that numbers come down enough so that border restrictions are loosened. Cutbacks on the official festivities really don’t mean as much to me as the energy of diehard Disney fans. I feel like given everything happening right now everyone will be extra happy to celebrate. I know we will.

We just booked the Poly on the back of our existing CR reservation for the 50th weekend as attempt #3 to reschedule our doomed May 2020 trip. Not worried about vaccination as I got shot #2 on Sunday and gf will get hers shortly, but being a binational couple on either side of the Canadian border really, really sucks right now!
I’m probably going to have to go by myself on my birthday trip the end of this May.

So our October dates are now 9/30 - 10/3 at CR and 10/3 - 10/14 at Poly. Hoping by then that numbers come down enough so that border restrictions are loosened. Cutbacks on the official festivities really don’t mean as much to me as the energy of diehard Disney fans. I feel like given everything happening right now everyone will be extra happy to celebrate. I know we will.

I was in the dreaded 5/2020 group too!!! We actually took an impromptu trip in September because my husband had to go to FL anyways for family stuff, so we took an extra few days to enjoy the world!!

but anyways... I cannot agree with you more about the diehards and the energy we are going to be feeding off of one another! My neighbor and I are going together.. booked as soon as reservations opened.. already got outfits planned.. so excited to be in the MK on the actual 50th!! It is going to be amazing!!

Hello, all! I thought I was here already but looking at the roll call, I guess I hadn't officially joined.

We will be staying at The Poly 9/30-10/6 and BLT 10/6-10/8. We already have our PP reservation for MK on 10/1 :cool1:

WDW just OFFICIALLY announced there will be an 18 month long celebration starting on 10/1! I was giddy just watching the announcement on GMA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter