• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Star Wars Half Marathon Thread...Jan 15-18th, 2015!!

If I had to be sidelined with injury for any race, I'm glad it was this one. I had the best time watching everyone run.... such great costumes to watch for! Thank you for everyone who stopped by my chair and gave me a hug, high five, words of support and encouragement. I cheered for so long and so loud for everyone that my vocal chords ache! I hope everyone had great races and I look forward to hearing more trip and race reports. I'm so proud of my husband for completing the rebel challenge and he's already talking about next year....that's coming from a person who hates running!
I too saw you and realized who you were once I passed and didn't get a chance to say hi and I'm sorry about your injury. Thank you for coming out and being a wonderful cheerleader to everyone. You are awesome! What a great weekend for my very First Rundisney event ever - I did the 5k with my DD too! She and I had the best time!!

Does anyone know when AP early registration was announced, and/or if they're still offering that? I can't seem to find reference to early registrations for runDisney events on the AP website...?

AP reg is usually the week before general reg. It also sells out the first day usually.

AP reg is usually the week before general reg. It also sells out the first day usually.

Thx! I managed to take advantage of the early reg in the past -- was on it first thing in the morning!

Just wondering when they announce the early reg (I can't recall at all!), and why it isn't on the AP website that holders get early reg for runDisney events? Maybe I'm just missing it, but I can't find it there and I remember seeing it in the past...

Thx! I managed to take advantage of the early reg in the past -- was on it first thing in the morning! Just wondering when they announce the early reg (I can't recall at all!), and why it isn't on the AP website that holders get early reg for runDisney events? Maybe I'm just missing it, but I can't find it there and I remember seeing it in the past...

I found the spot on the passholder website that at least lists the perk as a current one: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/passholder-benefits-and-discounts/rundisney/

Yes that was me with the sign that said RUN LIKE YOU DIDN'T BREAK YOUR FOOT 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE RACE! I'm so glad to hear everyone had good race experiences! See y'all next year - I don't plan to return to distance running but my husband will be back for sure.

Nope. :( That's what I was hoping another DISer here might have a sense of. It's typically been in the 5 days to a week-ish neighborhood, I believe...

The runDisney site says registration opens 6/16, so I would start keeping my eye out on their facebook & twitter feeds a week or two earlier than that. :)

I did the 5K and 10K and loved them both! first time running in DL and first 10K. The courses were great, the parks part of both kept my momentum up! Already plotting my next RD race.... Hee hee :)

Hoping to get some insight into the SW race for 2016. :)

For folks who did the SW 1/2 and have done the DL 1/2 in the past:

1. How would you compare the two races?
  2. Is there one you thought was better than the other in general?
  3. What about the courses? Are they similar, or is one much better than the other?
  4. Is one better in terms of Anaheim weather (Jan vs Aug/Sep)?
  5. If you went to the parks, were they about the same in terms of crowds?

Thank you very much!! :goodvibes

Hoping to get some insight into the SW race for 2016. :)

For folks who did the SW 1/2 and have done the DL 1/2 in the past:

1. How would you compare the two races?
  2. Is there one you thought was better than the other in general?
  3. What about the courses? Are they similar, or is one much better than the other?
  4. Is one better in terms of Anaheim weather (Jan vs Aug/Sep)?
  5. If you went to the parks, were they about the same in terms of crowds?

Thank you very much!! :goodvibes

I did the DL 5K, 10K and 1/2 in 2014 and the Star Wars 5K, 10K and part of the 1/2 this January.

1) I liked both races and have plans to do them both again. I think the DL 1/2 events have more runners so the courses were more crowded, IMO.

2 & 3) It depends on your point of view. I thought that the SW courses were great, especially the 10K as it was almost all in the parks. The DL 1/2 course was special to me because of the run through Angels stadium. The SW course doesn't really have anythng like that. However, the costumes at the SW events were absolutely amazing!

4) the weather in January is ALWAYS going to be better than late Aug/early Sept. Jan is cold to cool in the mornings and cool to warm in the afternoons. Aug/Sept is warm in the mornings and hot to very hot in the afternoons, it is also more humid.

5) I found the DL 1/2 weekend to be more crowded than SW 1/2 weekend. Fewer people travel for vacation over MLK weekend than over Labor Day weekend. Also, there are more (a lot more) participants in the DL 1/2 races.

Also don't forget to take training into account. For the DL 1/2 all of your training takes place throughout the summer months and, at least where I live, goes from warm to very hot and humid (bad to worse). For the SW 1/2 training starts hot and humid but then gets cooler and cooler (bad to good) which is a plus, especially on the longest runs.

Hoping to get some insight into the SW race for 2016. :) For folks who did the SW 1/2 and have done the DL 1/2 in the past: [*]How would you compare the two races? [*]Is there one you thought was better than the other in general? [*]What about the courses? Are they similar, or is one much better than the other? [*]Is one better in terms of Anaheim weather (Jan vs Aug/Sep)? [*]If you went to the parks, were they about the same in terms of crowds? Thank you very much!! :goodvibes

1. If you like a specific theme, sw. If you like disney in general, DL half.

2. Love both but prefer sw. See below.

3. I hate hills. Hate them. Sw half had none. Plus sw half had super fun signs and cosplayers. Prefer this course for those reasons.

4. Oh my word. Sw wins hands down. DL half has been stupid hot and humid last 2 years. Sw is perfection.

5. Same crowd wise. Holiday weekends so both were busy

Is anyone else disappointed the Half medal doesn't say "inaugural" on it? The Rebel and 10k does but not the half. I know there was a Star Wars race in the past but I didn't think it was a Half.

Is anyone else disappointed the Half medal doesn't say "inaugural" on it? The Rebel and 10k does but not the half. I know there was a Star Wars race in the past but I didn't think it was a Half.

It was a 5k

I'm not too upset over it. It's a great medal and inaugural is on the ribbon. So it's all good to me.

I ran both and prefer SW mainly due to the lack of hills and cooler weather. Attendance at the parks were the same as was closing of the HAUNTED MANSION for BOTH race weekends. I have never been to DL prior and probably won't ever aside from attending these two events. Runners are paying an arm and leg to attend these events. Ridiculous that one of their premiere rides was closed down due to decorations on both race weekends. Couldn't they move up or delay the decorations by a week to accommodate the participants? :confused3

Anyone have the issue where MF still shows no photos of you? Whenever I search my name it shows.

No photos found!

We are unable to find any of your photographs. Click here to search the archive of unidentified photographs for this race.

This happens for BOTH the 10k and the Half so I wonder if it is a common occurence?

I honestly didn't even notice it until someone pointed it out. Its on the ribbon though and thats good enough for me. If it wasn't on either then I would have been disappointed.

Anyone have the issue where MF still shows no photos of you? Whenever I search my name it shows.

This happens for BOTH the 10k and the Half so I wonder if it is a common occurence?

Nope. I've been able to see pics since last week. Maybe try calling them?

Our photos show up, but the pictures with Darth do not. We waited over 30 minutes for that photo and now only have the dark crappy one from our phone! :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter