Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading all of these sad training reports and feel terrible for everyone and then reality sets in that I have the Space Coast Marathon next Sunday and haven't done more that a 13 miler in the last 3 months. Then in January I have the Dopey to complete.

So glad there's 7 hours for completion.

Good luck to all with the remaining time for training. :thumbsup2

I'm doing the Space Coast Marathon a week from today too, and my legs are really complaining from all the long training runs I've been doing over the past 1 1/2 months. I'm reminding myself I just need to finish the Space Coast Marathon alive and not try to do more than that. Do you know if they start the SCM in waves separated by 5-6 minutes like WDW races, or if everyone starts at once? With the course closing in 7 hours from the initial start of the race, the folks in the last corral (like me no doubt) won't have the full 7 hours to finish. I don't expect to need all 7, but I won't be that far off from it either. :rotfl2:

After a 23 miler 2 weeks ago and the Wine & Dine Half last weekend, this weekend's 7 miles was much less miserable, but my lower legs are still griping and I'm never not tired anymore. I should've picked the "Finish upright" plan for the 2013 WDW Marathon instead of the "Time improvement" plan. Live and learn, I guess. Oops.

When does everyone typically start their taper for marathon weekend? I have my longest run set for December 18th. Just curious if im doing this correctly. Also, all my long runs have a run thats half the distance the day before (Goofy Training).

When does everyone typically start their taper for marathon weekend? I have my longest run set for December 18th. Just curious if im doing this correctly. Also, all my long runs have a run thats half the distance the day before (Goofy Training).

I start taper Christmas eve, so 3 weeks out.

Yesterday's 6 mile morning run was fine but I got a case of the blues afterwards. I don't think I had enough fuel in my system and then seriously crashed. Even after having lunch, I still felt :sad::( . Better today.

It's really raining now but I may put on my gear and get out there again. Nothing major, just to get out in the fresh air and get my legs moving. Here we go! :banana:

I have a 20-mile run 3 weeks out, an 18 two weeks out, and then a 13 the week before. My weekday runs decline some in volume, and not at all in intensity. Not ideal for everyone, but it's what works for me.

I have a 20-mile run 3 weeks out, an 18 two weeks out, and then a 13 the week before. My weekday runs decline some in volume, and not at all in intensity. Not ideal for everyone, but it's what works for me.

Yeah, mine is similar. I think I go 20, 15, 10.

This is what we are doing. We had to work around w&d and a Christmas vacation. Might cut back a bit on the last 7 miler....

I was going to just go up to 20, but I am really nervous about not being able to finish. I figure I can crawl a 5k ;), so if I can get up to 23 I will call that good. We are not doing Goofy, just trying to finish the full ~5hours.

11/24/2012 20
12/1/2012 6
12/8/2012 8
12/15/2012 23
12/22/2012 7
12/29/2012 13
1/5/2013 7

This is what we are doing. We had to work around w&d and a Christmas vacation. Might cut back a bit on the last 7 miler....

I was going to just go up to 20, but I am really nervous about not being able to finish. I figure I can crawl a 5k ;), so if I can get up to 23 I will call that good. We are not doing Goofy, just trying to finish the full ~5hours.

11/24/2012 20
12/1/2012 6
12/8/2012 8
12/15/2012 23
12/22/2012 7
12/29/2012 13
1/5/2013 7

If you're just running (not doing Galloway), 23 is too many miles. It puts you at a much greater risk of injury.

If you're just running (not doing Galloway), 23 is too many miles. It puts you at a much greater risk of injury.

We are running 2 minutes walking 1 minute. I did not plan on going past 20, but I am becoming a nervous wreck about not being able to finish, or finishing and feeling horrendous for the rest of the day. So far the miles have been easy. I felt better at 18 at a slower pace than I did after the w&d at a faster pace. So we'll see. Thanks for the thoughts.:)

I'm glad you posted this! It's interesting reading all the various taper plans.

I'm going Goofy, too. I'm planning a back-to-back the weekend of December 15 & 16; 10 miles Saturday and 20-22 miles Sunday.

That'll be my last big run and then taper begins...I won't go more than 10 miles at a time until marathon weekend.

Oh, and I run/walk.

I'm glad you posted this! It's interesting reading all the various taper plans.

I'm going Goofy, too. I'm planning a back-to-back the weekend of December 15 & 16; 10 miles Saturday and 20-22 miles Sunday.

That'll be my biggest run and then taper begins...I won't go more than 10 miles at a time until marathon weekend.

Oh, and I run/walk.

Question for you, why are you peaking so early? You're going to go basically a month with nothing longer than 10 miles?

Question for you, why are you peaking so early? You're going to go basically a month with nothing longer than 10 miles?

1) It may be "so early" for you (even though you are only one week less! Lol) but I have a busy life, and it gets in the way. Unexpected happens. I am preparing for that.

2) I don't believe it's necessary to go longer than that. My training will be done, I'll be in maintenance mode and just trying to stay healthy and strong until the races.

:)

kmg148 said:
Thank you so much for this post. Mentally, I just feel like 30/30 intervals is so short and how could you possibly go anywhere. I know this is not true whatsoever, but it is so difficult for me mentally to get past that, that I never try it.

If you ever run on the treadmill, do you know what MPH you are walking and running? Do you feel that you have to run faster because you have made the intervals smaller?

Thanks for pointing out that it is easy to glide in and out of the run and walk segments. That's a worry for me too!

I'm afraid I can't help you with the treadmill question. I never run on one.

I know I run faster within the shorter intervals, but that is because my legs are fresher. I never felt like I had too, it just happened naturally.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

So interesting how our plans are all different yet we all have the same goal!

My last back to back is Dec 20/21 with 8 and 16 miles. Then one more LR on Dec 28 with 15 miles. Maybe I'm too late, I don't know. But it worked before, it should work again!

My taper looks like this:

Saturday 12/22 - 20 miles
Saturday 12/29 - 12 miles
Saturday 1/5 - 8 miles
Saturday 1/12 - 2 miles (may or may not do)
Sunday 1/13 - WDW Marathon!

I start taper Christmas eve, so 3 weeks out.

Same here.

My plan will look like this (long runs on Wednesdays):
20 miles - 12/19/12
12 miles - 12/26/12
8 miles - 1/2/12

I'm still nursing this upper respiratory infection, so no running today for me. Sorry to hear that other's are struggling with their runs this weekend, but remember that one weekend does not ruin an entire 16 or 18 week training plan. Learn from it and turn the page to next week.

I'm trying to figure the hydration issue during training for sure. A few weeks ago I did a half with 6 water stops. By stop 3 I was sloshing and never seemed to stop. I only took a half glass of powerade/water mix (I really hate powerade type stuff) at each stop. Thank you for all the feedback. Coach I will do the weight thing tomorrow.

My other issue is my nose runs constantly when I run. It is a major distraction. I want to try afrin but my husband is concerned because it messes with blood pressure.

robynslp said:
I'm trying to figure the hydration issue during training for sure. A few weeks ago I did a half with 6 water stops. By stop 3 I was sloshing and never seemed to stop. I only took a half glass of powerade/water mix (I really hate powerade type stuff) at each stop. Thank you for all the feedback. Coach I will do the weight thing tomorrow.

My other issue is my nose runs constantly when I run. It is a major distraction. I want to try afrin but my husband is concerned because it messes with blood pressure.

My nose runs terribly when I run as well. I just wipe/blow and keep going. It's kinda gross but what can you do.

It's known as the histamine effect and can be the result of physical activity. There is great news about the release on histamines while running; especially if no other cause is present like cold weather, wind or allergies.... In a study with both well trained athletes and lesser trained athletes, blood samples taken during exercise demonstrated a higher level of histamine production in the better trained athletes. So taking I would take it as a positive.

One thing I would NOT do is take a drug that has any kind of a negative effect on the body. I would rather just deal with the snot rocket or bring a hanky/tissue.

cewait said:
It's known as the histamine effect and can be the result of physical activity. There is great news about the release on histamines while running; especially if no other cause is present like cold weather, wind or allergies.... In a study with both well trained athletes and lesser trained athletes, blood samples taken during exercise demonstrated a higher level of histamine production in the better trained athletes. So taking I would take it as a positive.

One thing I would NOT do is take a drug that has any kind of a negative effect on the body. I would rather just deal with the snot rocket or bring a hanky/tissue.

Thanks Coach! That is good news because yes, mine runs all the time when I workout...even when doing Insanity in my basement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter