Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumping into this thread more fully since I am now looking forward to this weekend as my next event!

Today I proudly ran my first half marathon! It was the Scotiabank TOronto Waterfront Marathon. 25000 people ran in the half and full.

I went into it injured with a very sore knee. Opinions varied among professionals from just bad PF to meniscus damage. The first few kilometers were hard, but I stuck it out and the knee felt better. Finished with it still sore, but not too bad, and a little stiff. My time really suffered with the knee and I finished in 2:56:57. My Garmin clocked 21.54 kilometers. I ran mostly 10:1 intervals, with a few longer walks towards the end when I felt crappy. Interestingly my knee feels really good tonight, only 2/10 whereas it had been an 8/10 just two days ago!

I also put my back out yesterday, of all things. I got a chiropractic adjustment and later my back went into spasm. It was so uncomfortable to sleep last night. With my knee and my back I hobbled to the start line. During the run my back was great. I think I finished looking better than I did to start, quite honestly!

I struggled in the race with real fatigue and feeling unwell around 17-18km. I had fuelled well, and drank lots of fluids along the route, and took 2 salt tablets (I am a very salty sweater: even today when it was raining and only about 61-63 degrees with a stiff wind I had salt stains on my face and chest), had some fuel and drank more fluids, and it got better, but it never really left me. I have to figure out how to feel better at the end of a race. I was also crampy (my inner thigh muscles of all places), sore, and lots of things hurt. I felt done. I suspect it is normal but I want to work on feeling better at the end of races.

I was so emotional about finishing my first half that I cried at the finish. I had done it, and it was such a relief as I had been so stressed with my knee and back that I wouldn't be able to do it.

Afterwards there were good post-race things. Very well organized, and ok food. We got the typical bananas, bagels, greek yogurt, apples, water and Gatorade, and Gatorade Recover (blech!). There were tents with a few other things from sponsors as well. I appreciated the Mylar blanket given out.

As the full was going on it and we had parked on the 'wrong' side of the race, we had to walk underground quite far to get the car. Was good for me I suppose, and I have never been so happy to see escalators besides stairs. Applied ice to my knees in the car and headed home.

Now I am going to see where my knee is at tomorrow and head into training for Marathon weekend. This race told me that I want to run the half conservatively, and plan on very short run/walk intervals for the full. I just don't have the base of training to plan on running the full outright at higher run intervals. I will work on my training over the next few months to get better, but will definitely be running the full as a complete amateur just planning to finish.

Good for you! That is awesome. I really felt for you today as I was running the oktoberfest 10 K in Waterloo today and kept thinking of the Toronto people running the marathon today as it was POURING when I woke up. It worked out that the rain was gone for me not sure about Toronto this am. Anyways, just wanted to say hi and congrats! I feel for you as I am a chiropractor and know the struggles of dealing with an injury while running. Do you live in TO?

ThurlFan said:
Hi all! Mostly been lurking on this thread, but just had to share: Ran 7 miles today, the longest I've run since the Reagan administration :rotfl:

Feeling great, and no doubts that I'll be ready for Donald! :hyper:

Congrats! Keep at it and enjoy the mileage increases!

sunshine269 said:
I guess you could say running a marathon is on my bucket list. A few years ago this would never have happened. I've lost 90 lbs and decided with the 20th anniversary I would go for it. Since I don't plan on doing another, I registered for the Goofy. I'm pretty slow, but hopefully I'll finish

Jennifer

Congrats on the 90 lbs! And best of luck with Goofy. I am saving Goofy until next year.

Drgirl said:
Good for you! That is awesome. I really felt for you today as I was running the oktoberfest 10 K in Waterloo today and kept thinking of the Toronto people running the marathon today as it was POURING when I woke up. It worked out that the rain was gone for me not sure about Toronto this am. Anyways, just wanted to say hi and congrats! I feel for you as I am a chiropractor and know the struggles of dealing with an injury while running. Do you live in TO?

I know what you mean about rain. Logged 13 this morning and the rain opened up about mile 9. I finished training run comfortably, but was quite moist.

Oh I also found a movie on Netflix today that inspired me: Spirit of the marathon. It is a documentary that follows 6 people as they train for the Chicago marathon (including some newbies). It was a good film to watch as I waited for the rain subside. I recommend it.

I found this as a free streaming download with my Amazon Prime membership. I just finished watching it - what an inspiration.

Tried to go out for a 7.5 mile run today. It was too hot and I'm not sure what else was contributing but after a mile my legs were shaking and seriously hurting, so we turned around after another half mile and walked a slow walk of shame back to the car. The good news was I did discover that Gatorade chews are more effective for me than fruit snacks. By the time we were between a half mile or slightly more away from the car I was able to briskly walk again.

Did anything come of a possible group for the Half walking to the start from POFQ/POR?

I'm working the Freep expo next Friday from 4-8 pm. Hope you have a great race. Great shirts and awesome medals.

Maura

I'm really excited about it! I'm hoping to get to the expo on Friday after work but I have a chiropractor/ART appointment to get to first (just a final tune-up before the race for my knee). We might end up going to the expo on Saturday.

halvnorsk said:
I found this as a free streaming download with my Amazon Prime membership. I just finished watching it - what an inspiration.

Glad you enjoyed it! My training partner did too. My husband is now inspired to.try Chicago next year. It's always been his goal. He is signed up for his first half this spring so I think he could do it. It would be great to run it together.

Glad you enjoyed it! My training partner did too. My husband is now inspired to.try Chicago next year. It's always been his goal. He is signed up for his first half this spring so I think he could do it. It would be great to run it together.

My husband and I would like to do Chicago together as well. We did WDW marathon in 2012 and will be doing Goofy in 2013.

I grew up outside of Chicago and my parents still live there. So we have a free place to stay and could probably finagle a chauffeured ride to the race - no worries about using public transportation or parking!

I did a 10k today. Was a little disappointed in my finish time, but realized my pace was 12:04, when my personal best has been 12:49, so that was exciting. My goal by 1/2 marathon time is to get it under 11 min/mike, so I'll have a little breathing room for character stops.

Now if the Cardinals can just get out of this awful 4th inning against the Giants....

I ran a half today and PR'd by 10 minutes! I was so excited! It's great to see all this training is making a difference!

it sounds like this weekend was a great running weekend for everyone! i PR'd a 10k today! i ran the race for rehab in westchester, ny today and it was so inspiring seeing my fellow runners include blind people, people missing limbs and people in wheelchairs all competing! seeing them made me push harder. a nice dose of reality sure does help one's outlook on life.

hope everyone has a great week! marathon weekend is getting close! i have 17 miles on tap for saturday (following JG) and after this past race i'm feeling hopeful that it will be a decent run :)

Thank you! The weather actually wasn't too bad. It rained on our way into the city (I live just east of Toronto) and I was worried, but by the time the race started it was dry. The temp was pretty nice at around 16-17, and there was quite a windy breeze at points, which I love when I am running. Running down Bathurst, which was a nice gentle downward route, I caught a lovely breeze from the lake and I felt amazing for that kilometre.

The Oktoberfest 10k sounds fun! Maybe next year! I have a friend who practices as a midwife in Kitchener - her name is Sky. Might you know her?

I am totally surprised that my knee is *less* swollen and *less* painful than before I ran! I can feel one spot of pain creeping back, but wow, I love not being in total pain! Let's me know that running is going to make it worse, and now I have to find a way to heal it and keep running. My back, however, is totally bugging still (felt great in the race) just over the area that was sublexed and adjusted earlier in the week. I know from experience it will just take time.

I heading to 3 nights on the DCL Dream this week, and hoping to run the Castaway Cay 5k. But other than that will take it easy, and see where my knee is at for training plans this fall.

Thanks for the response!

1/11/13 - 1/13/13

I was just on the WDW website looking at the current discounts. The 11-12 are blacked out for the package discount so that's out. You are correct that your price for Pop is better than using the RO discount for a value (Pop wasn't available but I checked ASMo and it would be $645). However, if you want to upgrade, the room only discount for moderates and deluxes is actually pretty good. You could do Coronado Springs (which is actually very nice, IMHO) with the discount and tickets for $716. Or for $874, you could do AKL. The reason your package is so expensive comparatively is the tickets....2 day tickets are almost as much as 5-7 day ticket, so those costs aren't spread out the way they would be if you were staying a full week, KWIM?

pkf4bucs said:
1/11/13 - 1/13/13

I think the issue.might be that you're looking at packages. The discounts out right now (as far as I can tell) are hotel only. If you go in the Disney website you scroll to the bottom to find "special offers". They don't make it obvious. You would have to buy tickets separately but those would be easy enough to calculate the costs of.

jimandami said:
I was just on the WDW website looking at the current discounts. The 11-12 are blacked out for the package discount so that's out. You are correct that your price for Pop is better than using the RO discount for a value (Pop wasn't available but I checked ASMo and it would be $645). However, if you want to upgrade, the room only discount for moderates and deluxes is actually pretty good. You could do Coronado Springs (which is actually very nice, IMHO) with the discount and tickets for $716. Or for $874, you could do AKL. The reason your package is so expensive comparatively is the tickets....2 day tickets are almost as much as 5-7 day ticket, so those costs aren't spread out the way they would be if you were staying a full week, KWIM?
Ah, I didn't realize they had blackout dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter