Official Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2019

Random question. Has anybody not received their DME luggage tags yet? I feel like I usually get them by now, but I have not. It's my first time actually needing them so I haven't really paid attention to it before. Wondering if I should call or if I'm just getting too anxious.
Totally got them a couple weeks ago!

I'm in corral F for the challenge. Does anyone know how many people are approximately in each wave of starters? My training hasn't been going well, and I'll be limping towards the finish, so just wondering what kind of lead time I might have if I am at the front of the corral.

So it looks like last year the biggest gap between chip time and gun time was about 50 min (to estimate balloon lady start) based on a quick check. There were 15856 bibs in the 2018 HM and this year there are 15626 bibs (so comparable). If I use the same rate calculation as I use for Marathon Weekend (375 runners per minute), then I come up with a start time of ~5:45 am for the start of Corral F. The estimated start time for the balloon ladies would be 6:12 - 6:20am. The 6:12 is based on 375 runners per minute and 6:20 is based on last year's biggest gun/chip gap. So the start of corral F would have a 27-35 min estimated buffer on the start time from the ballon ladies. That equates to a ~18:00 - 18:41 min/mile average pace for the entire HM. This assumes you stay ahead of all the possible sweep points along the way.

The starting time difference between the front of Corral F and back of Corral F would be an estimated 13 minutes (4961 runners in Corral F divided by 375 runners per min). The bigger difference would probably occur on course when 4961 runners (or 32% of the entire race field) is either ahead or behind you based on starting at the front or back of the corral.

oh thank you! I am looking forward to doing my best, but it has been almost a month since I've been able to do a long run, and I'll mostly be walking.
I have convinced myself to try. My training and Disney race companion (sister) had to drop out and it's been hard staying motivated.

I'm in D, she's in E; we submitted 10k times of 1:05:00 and 1:10:10 respectively. Any point/hope/possibility of gong to Runner Relations to get her moved up? Or should I just move back?

I'm in D, she's in E; we submitted 10k times of 1:05:00 and 1:10:10 respectively. Any point/hope/possibility of gong to Runner Relations to get her moved up? Or should I just move back?

Based on those 10k times, those look like reasonable assignments to me:

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 11.43.49 AM.png

So I'm not seeing any reason/error for why Runner Relations would change the assignment. Agree with @rteetz that your best bet is to move back to E.

I'm getting very excited now, it all seems real with the release of the merchandise preview and the waivers this week!

This is my first USA runDisney race and I think I might go crazy with the merchandise... And the vendors at the Expo... I already have my sights set on getting at least one more Sparkle Skirt, and probably various other things too!

Random PSA: if you are so inclined, get your flu shot now if you want it to be effective by the time you are traveling to WDW! It takes about 2 weeks to kick in.

Rather annoyingly I got the Southern Hemisphere flu shot earlier this year, and apparently the strains are quite different from the new Northern Hemisphere flu shot. Debating about whether to get a second flu shot this year! This is what happens when you live almost on the equator and can follow either hemisphere's flu shots...

I'll be hanging in the party corral of F. Which is my pace, but it's always HUGE!
I’m with you in F
I'm in corral F for the challenge. Does anyone know how many people are approximately in each wave of starters? My training hasn't been going well, and I'll be limping towards the finish, so just wondering what kind of lead time I might have if I am at the front of the corral.

Joining in the corral F party! I am aiming for a 2:45 time but think this is only achievable if I don't stop for any photos...

So it looks like last year the biggest gap between chip time and gun time was about 50 min (to estimate balloon lady start) based on a quick check. There were 15856 bibs in the 2018 HM and this year there are 15626 bibs (so comparable). If I use the same rate calculation as I use for Marathon Weekend (375 runners per minute), then I come up with a start time of ~5:45 am for the start of Corral F. The estimated start time for the balloon ladies would be 6:12 - 6:20am. The 6:12 is based on 375 runners per minute and 6:20 is based on last year's biggest gun/chip gap. So the start of corral F would have a 27-35 min estimated buffer on the start time from the ballon ladies. That equates to a ~18:00 - 18:41 min/mile average pace for the entire HM. This assumes you stay ahead of all the possible sweep points along the way.

The starting time difference between the front of Corral F and back of Corral F would be an estimated 13 minutes (4961 runners in Corral F divided by 375 runners per min). The bigger difference would probably occur on course when 4961 runners (or 32% of the entire race field) is either ahead or behind you based on starting at the front or back of the corral.

Thank you for this!

I am doing the challenge - Corral F for me! Getting excited about the weekend. Still need to make my costume for the half, though. 😁

As expected, Corral D for me (challenge - 1:08 10K POT) and E for my RBF (half - 2:04 10 mile POT). I'll be moving back with her. We started Princess in E and had no issues with timing, we stopped for every picture we wanted with plenty of time to spare. And she's in even better running shape now, she just crushed her 10 mile PR on Sunday at the same race as my full.

To add to your data points For the half in January, I started in the middle of corral E and was 16:26 after the gun.

To add to your data points For the half in January, I started in the middle of corral E and was 16:26 after the gun.

It's a little faster than I would have calculated, but close. There were 7192 bibs in A-D and 1761 bibs in E. One half of 1761 is 880.5 (that poor 1/2 person dismembered by the wave start/stop...). So 7192+880 = 8072. In 16.43 minutes, ~8072 runners crossed which would be 491 runners per min. When I ran the math based on the 2018 corrals there was some ebb and flow to the corrals (because I believe they did release the new corrals off of whole minutes) which influenced the "375" number. The average (375) would have stated 21 minutes. But it's good information to have to keep tweaking the guesses.

ETA - It makes sense though because I believe the goal is to have the balloon ladies around 60-65 minutes after the gun time max. So with 25145 bibs (in 2019 WDW HM) and 61 minutes, you're looking at an average rate of 412 runners per min. The marathon (from which the 375 was generated) only had 17907 bibs and this wine/dine HM has 15626 bibs. That doesn't even get to the issue of "not all bibs start or cross the finish line" and "not all runners in an assigned corral by bib # actually start there" which makes this post race accumulation of data messier.

Last edited:
Ugh. Looks like I’m in H even though my POT should have me in E. Hopefully I’ll have some luck at the expo with runner relations (but I don’t have my hopes up).
Email them with a link to your POT. It happened to me last year and they made the change immediately. Bibs were already printed so my number didn’t change but they put a sticker with the new corral letter.

Does the expo on Thursday night close at 7pm exact? Our international flight has been pushed back and I’m worried we are going to be cutting it very fine.

Also in addition to my previous question... anyone who has been close to expo closing time on the first night, how long are the lines to pick up the bibs?

Also in addition to my previous question... anyone who has been close to expo closing time on the first night, how long are the lines to pick up the bibs?
I did right before closing for marathon weekend of the first day 2016 to get my Dopey bibs. There were no lines. I will say some vendors were packing up to leave already with 20 minutes till close. But, the end time is the end time. Volunteers don't want to have to hang around forever that's why there is a cutoff time and they have to check out to leave.

Corral A for me. Gives me half a chance to make my 0930 ADB at the plaza! Quick thought, don’t know if it’s been mentioned. Plan on getting to your corral quite a bit earlier than the published shutoff. Last year they closed the corrals earlier, forcing people people into lower corrals. This resulted in a lot of people trying to jump the fences and I saw a couple hurt themselves pretty badly. Turn up ten minutes earlier than you originally planned and you won’t have to limp your way around animal kingdom!

DH and I are in F for the challenge. This is his first time doing a challenge. We're doing the 10k with a bunch of friends. Can't wait! I'm really looking forward to this weekend!!

Corral A for me. Gives me half a chance to make my 0930 ADB at the plaza! Quick thought, don’t know if it’s been mentioned. Plan on getting to your corral quite a bit earlier than the published shutoff. Last year they closed the corrals earlier, forcing people people into lower corrals. This resulted in a lot of people trying to jump the fences and I saw a couple hurt themselves pretty badly. Turn up ten minutes earlier than you originally planned and you won’t have to limp your way around animal kingdom!
Oh, Thanks for posting that as a reminder! I remember now my brother mentioning it last year how early the moved up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter