Official Wine & Dine 2018

Since I know there's people more used to the heat I need some advice. Saturday we're doing the Seattle Torchlight 8k which starts at 6pm. The weather for that day is predicted -
JUL 28 Sunny
89°63°
W 7 mph humidity 47%

The course is along the parade route prior to the parade so great course support at the start and finish and probably shade since it's downtown. However a good portion of the race will be on the viaduct (the reason for doing the run because it's the last time we can run on it before it's torn down this winter) and since I'm fairly certain we'll be on the top level, there won't be any shade. I'm not counting on the wind being cool, even though we're by the water, because we hit the mid 80's today and are mid 80's/low 90's all week. Our average high for this time of year is upper 70's and while we get hotter it normally doesn't last an entire week which will hold the heat more and make the air quality worse.

I'm comfortable with hydrating since I mostly drink water or drinks without caffeine anyway. I'm unsure how to eat the day of since it'll be so hot. I go to the gym after work and do 2+ miles on the treadmill twice a week but that's not quite half the race so I know I'll need to change things a little but that what I eat Friday is also important.

My other question is, how much do I slow down? I do intervals 1 min/1 min and average a 12 min mile in races. We have an hour and a half to finish which I don't think will be a problem. Do I slow my run and my walk pace or just one of them? I know to just walk if I need to or pull myself.

Thanks in advance!

Since I know there's people more used to the heat I need some advice. Saturday we're doing the Seattle Torchlight 8k which starts at 6pm. The weather for that day is predicted -
JUL 28 Sunny
89°63°
W 7 mph humidity 47%

The course is along the parade route prior to the parade so great course support at the start and finish and probably shade since it's downtown. However a good portion of the race will be on the viaduct (the reason for doing the run because it's the last time we can run on it before it's torn down this winter) and since I'm fairly certain we'll be on the top level, there won't be any shade. I'm not counting on the wind being cool, even though we're by the water, because we hit the mid 80's today and are mid 80's/low 90's all week. Our average high for this time of year is upper 70's and while we get hotter it normally doesn't last an entire week which will hold the heat more and make the air quality worse.

I'm comfortable with hydrating since I mostly drink water or drinks without caffeine anyway. I'm unsure how to eat the day of since it'll be so hot. I go to the gym after work and do 2+ miles on the treadmill twice a week but that's not quite half the race so I know I'll need to change things a little but that what I eat Friday is also important.

My other question is, how much do I slow down? I do intervals 1 min/1 min and average a 12 min mile in races. We have an hour and a half to finish which I don't think will be a problem. Do I slow my run and my walk pace or just one of them? I know to just walk if I need to or pull myself.

Thanks in advance!

I only run in the morning, so no advice about the food.

With that low humidity, your body will cool itself. The greater problem is the fact that you are not acclimatized to the higher heat. I would start out slower - maybe a 13 minute mile - and take it from there. Don't slow your walk - just the run. Stay relaxed and listen to your body. Don't speed up until you are at least a few miles into the run. By then you will know how the heat is effecting you.

Good luck!

Thought I would post here first before posting on the Cancellations Thread.

I have PPO BOG reservations for a total of 5 people on Thursday, Nov. 1.
8:10am for 1
8:20am for 1
8:45am for 3

Since you seat yourself, you can still sit together and you should be able to enter the park at 8.
We did this in April and were able to ride 7DMT 3 times before the regular guests got to the line. We probably could have rode another time with little wait.

PM to coordinate. I'll probably wait a couple of weeks before posting this to the other thread.

Thought I would post here first before posting on the Cancellations Thread.

I have PPO BOG reservations for a total of 5 people on Thursday, Nov. 1.
8:10am for 1
8:20am for 1
8:45am for 3

Since you seat yourself, you can still sit together and you should be able to enter the park at 8.
We did this in April and were able to ride 7DMT 3 times before the regular guests got to the line. We probably could have rode another time with little wait.

PM to coordinate. I'll probably wait a couple of weeks before posting this to the other thread.

UPDATE:
Only have the 8:10am for 1 available. PM to coordinate.

Volunteer registration was today! I signed up for half marathon finish line waters/powerades so I'll see you all when you finish :)
Yes, thank you! And thanks to all the other volunteers! Have you volunteered at a rundisney race before? Sounds like such a cool experience!

I feel like the only person that never got an email to transfer their registration from Active. I'll have to call RunDisney but just haven't had a chance, ugh!

Otherwise, I'm super excited for the race! Less excited about all the training I've done/will do in 90º+ heat and 90%+ humidity. My pace has gotten SO SLOW. Hooray, Florida!

I feel like the only person that never got an email to transfer their registration from Active. I'll have to call RunDisney but just haven't had a chance, ugh!

Otherwise, I'm super excited for the race! Less excited about all the training I've done/will do in 90º+ heat and 90%+ humidity. My pace has gotten SO SLOW. Hooray, Florida!

I feel you....even trying to go out first thing in the AM on mornings I don't have to work has been brutal and killing my motivation.... I'm JUST doing the 10K but after this weekend I have a 15K planned for February (my longest distance yet) and I'm beginning to doubt my sanity

Yes, thank you! And thanks to all the other volunteers! Have you volunteered at a rundisney race before? Sounds like such a cool experience!
I have! I volunteered at a powerade/water aid station during the Dark Side half marathon a few months ago. It was a lot of hard work but awesome to see all the runners go by! I'm local and a passholder so I figured since I'm at Disney all the time may as well help out too!

I feel you....even trying to go out first thing in the AM on mornings I don't have to work has been brutal and killing my motivation.... I'm JUST doing the 10K but after this weekend I have a 15K planned for February (my longest distance yet) and I'm beginning to doubt my sanity

Same! I'm following the plan you download from RunDisney so I do my two 30 minute runs after work during the week and it's brutal. I do my longer/mileage based run Saturday morning and it's somehow ever MORE brutal during the early morning. :sad:

This will be my first half. I'm crossing my fingers that training in the heat will make the race seem easier since it will *hopefully* be cooler in November!

I hear ya'! Though lately in my neck of the woods its the opposite happening with rain storms coming through wave after wave. I would love to get just one mile of training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter