• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OHANA Opens 7/9 - AWAITING REVIEWS :|

We went to Ohana a few weeks ago. Heard the bad reviews, but we keep an open mind. This was actually our first dinner there ever. The 2 words that come to my mind - inconsistent, and disappointing.
It started out great. Our first serving of noodles were awesome. Perfectly cooked and seasoned just right. Our second serving of noodles were a disaster. Mushy and very little seasoning.
The chicken was delicious! The shrimp tasted good, but I didn't realize that you had to peal it yourself. A fact made worse because they were overcooked. And overcooked shrimp are near impossible to peal.
The sirloin steak was charred to death. They were black cubes devoid of any juices. We sent them back right away.
The dumplings were great, but really miss that dipping sauce that 99% of all other dumplings in this world come with.
The star of the meal- Ohana Bread Pudding! I still dream about eating that!

Ugh.. was looking forward to Ohana, but with all these recent negative reviews, think we will cancel our dinner plans for the 30th there. Not going to pay those prices for a sub-par meal and experience, even for nostalgias sake.

Ugh.. was looking forward to Ohana, but with all these recent negative reviews, think we will cancel our dinner plans for the 30th there. Not going to pay those prices for a sub-par meal and experience, even for nostalgias sake.
I am usually an 'Ohana fan and I could have booked but chose Kona instead. I know Kona isn't fabulous either but we can choose what we want and make our own mistakes for probably less than $55pp.

Had one of the best meals ever there way back in 2008 and haven't returned. There are just wayyyyy too many bad reviews floating around out there to convince me that I ever need to return. It's a shame.

I too had one of the best meals ever in 2011. I've gone twice in the last few years and they were real disappointments. Both the food and the staff trying to rush you out as fast as possible.
In 2011 the service was impeccable. Iger seems to have told them diminish the quality of the food so it's cheaper and get them in and get them out. We can make 3xs the money.

We went last week in spite of the bad reviews, simply because it is our trip tradition, and we hadn't been in 2 years. The food was... okay. Pretty much what I was expecting based on everything I had read, so I won't belabor that point since we went in knowing fully what we were getting. Beyond just the meh food, the experience overall lacked "magic." I HATE to call out CMs, especially given everything everyone has been through in the past year and a half (particularly those in the service industry), but we felt really rushed the entire time, and our server and table attendants (who all may have just been having a bad night) weren't overly friendly. They weren't overtly rude, per se... just didn't feel very "Disney" (or the level of charm one would expect for a $250+ meal anywhere). We're super low-key diners, didn't complain or ask questions, have no dietary restrictions or special requests... really only interacted to order our drinks and ask for more of a few of the menu items... but still got a weird vibe like we were walking on eggshells. Wondering if people are complaining alot and taking it out on the servers, and they were just over it by the time we had our 8:00pm seating?

Ok I had an answer but I re-read your post...in view of that...

Keep 'Ohana for now. I just looked and the only ADRs I could find for 6 at around 7pm are Swan/Dolphin or DS restauarants, which are fine, but I don't think that's what you want. Look every day, several times a day, for other places. Look at midnight. Use touring plans reservation finder as a backup and be ready to pounce. If it were another date, I think you would have more options, but that is the arrival date for MANY people who are going for the 50th weekend celebrations and places are booked solid.

So either change your date, or figure you will be at 'Ohana. In the meantime keep looking, esp in the days leading up to the 30th.

For 'Ohana: be prepared to advocate for yourself. When you arrive tell them you are celebrating a big anniversary. If they give you a terrible table ask for another. Be prepared to wait. Do not let them drop food you are not ready for. (For ex if you order cocktails and they start bringing food right away: they like to get you in and out). If you can't find your server (seems to happen a lot) and you need something, get out of your seat and look for a manager. Be very proactive. Wish you didn't have to do this, and you might not have to, but be prepared to fight for your celebration :smickey:

On this night, your name is Karen.
I now got an ADR for Narcoosse’s. I NEVER hear much about this restaurant, one way or another, so not sure if I should cancel Ohana and keep this. Pros of Narcoosse’s is we’re staying at TGF and the MENU looks appealing to me. Also, haven’t been able to confirm but looks like there might be fireworks viewing here too. Still there’s almost nothing recent on these boards about Narcoosse’s so that makes me wary 😋

I now got an ADR for Narcoosse’s. I NEVER hear much about this restaurant, one way or another, so not sure if I should cancel Ohana and keep this. Pros of Narcoosse’s is we’re staying at TGF and the MENU looks appealing to me. Also, haven’t been able to confirm but looks like there might be fireworks viewing here too. Still there’s almost nothing recent on these boards about Narcoosse’s so that makes me wary 😋
I was there several years ago and at the time, the food and cocktails were great. The almond cheesecake dessert is popular and also very good. I have an ADR there for our upcoming trip.

Know that during fireworks, people that are not guests of the restaurant tend to line up on the outside balcony so if you have a window seat you cannot see anything. You will probably have to get up and go outside as well for viewing. You can watch the electrical water parade though as people don't crowd for that.

We really enjoyed Narcoosee’s. Excellent lobster and calamari!
Ate at Ohana last night. It wasn’t “bad”. It just wasn’t as good as before.

You made a good choice. Narcoossee’s has always been a solidly enjoyable meal for us. Better than ‘Ohana, even back in ’Ohana’s heyday years ago. This is coming from someone who used to book ‘Ohana every trip pre-2015 or so. We’ve ordered a variety of entrees, and though I don’t have a particular must-do favorite, you can’t go wrong with their scallops and gnocchi and a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc.

As a signature, we rate Narcoossee’s in the middle, maybe not quite as good as Jiko or CG, but still very enjoyable - and super convenient if you are staying at the GF. The atmosphere is a little more relaxed and we’ve always received very good service - something you will not get at ‘Ohana. We last dined there this January, and though there were no fireworks, we had a great view of the EWP from our table. For fireworks, you can either step out onto the deck to watch, or if you finish your meal first, head over to the boat dock for a great view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter