Ohana

old lady

DIS Veteran
How are the meals served in Ohana and what is served? Is it traditional Hawaiian?

How are the meals served in Ohana and what is served? Is it traditional Hawaiian?
It's Polynesian. Bread, salad, dumplings, wings, noodles, and vegetables. Skewers of meats and shrimp are brought to the table and served directly on your plate. Bread pudding a la mode for dessert. This meal is All You Care to Eat served family style.

The meal at 'Ohana is served family style and isn't what I'd call "traditional Hawaiian." You start with pineapple coconut bread and salad, then a platter with veggies, Asian noodles, coriander chicken wings and pork pot stickers comes next. Servers then bring around skewers of meats cooked over an oak fire: chicken thighs, steak and shrimp which are all marinated and very flavorful. The meal concludes with bread pudding served with vanilla ice cream and caramel banana sauce. Hope that helps!

Dinner is not very good. Far and away the most disappointing meal of our most recent trip.

The beef was some of the toughest beef I have ever tasted (we got from different skewers). Our kids could not chew it at all.

While I enjoy Disney signature restaurants (Tiffins, Narcoose's, etc.) I'm also just as happy at buffets and other family style meals (Hoop Dee Doo, Garden Grill, Liberty Tree), so definitely not a food snob. But there was nothing about our meal at Ohana that makes any of us want to return there.

Dinner is not very good. Far and away the most disappointing meal of our most recent trip.

The beef was some of the toughest beef I have ever tasted (we got from different skewers). Our kids could not chew it at all.

While I enjoy Disney signature restaurants (Tiffins, Narcoose's, etc.) I'm also just as happy at buffets and other family style meals (Hoop Dee Doo, Garden Grill, Liberty Tree), so definitely not a food snob. But there was nothing about our meal at Ohana that makes any of us want to return there.

Sounds like a bad night and not typical really. On my last trip there the steak was done how we asked (medium to medium-rare) and the shrimp were done perfectly as well and so sweet, some of the best shrimp I've ever had. Everything was delicious except the wings were not that crispy and hence not that interesting to us... But in general it was an excellent meal.

I don't doubt your experience... we had an absolutely awful meal at narcoossees (so bad disney ended up refunding us for the entire thing) so it's possible that places well enjoyed by many have bad nights.

It's traditional Polynesian, and it's delicious! They serve bread to start, salad with a delicious dressing, rice, steamed vegetables, pot stickers, chicken wings, steak and shrimp skewers, and it's served continuously until you tell them you're done. The best part is the bananas foster bread pudding. ;)

Unfortunately, this was our fairly recent experience too - which was disappointing since it was our most anticipated meal of the trip. The bread was cold and nothing special, the salad looked like standard bagged salad from the grocery store, and I suspect the veggies were frozen. The noodles and pot stickers were pretty good, and the wings were ok. But other than the shrimp, we found the meat skewers to be really tough. The only thing I'd really go back for is the bread pudding, but I'll get it at Tambu Lounge. :) Glad to see some others had a better experience- maybe it's worth another try at some point!

I appreciate all the feedback. Hubby doesn't eat sweets, and I am nervous that he won't eat anything here.

The meal, in my opinion, was nice enough but it doesn't make it onto my visit again list. Well not in a hurry at any rate. The bread and salad were good as were the potstickers. Wings were fine. The shrimp was great, beef not so much. The dessert was fine. Nothing to get excited about but perfectly fine meal.

I appreciate all the feedback. Hubby doesn't eat sweets, and I am nervous that he won't eat anything here.
We've been eating at 'Ohana since the mid 90s and don't find the meal to be overly sweet at all. Now the dessert - well that's a completely different story!

Must have been an off night in the kitchen. We go to Ohana at least twice a year on our disney trips and have never had a bad meal there. The dinners are fantastic great food and atmosphere. The meats are always tender and delicious. And the dread pudding for dessert never disappoints.

Have never had a meal there I would say was good, not even good service. It was okay .......... but considering the prices, way overpriced. Given it numerous chances and I won't be going back.

I would google some photos so you can see the restaurant, how the food is served and what it looks like.

We ate there two weeks ago and everyone loved it. I can't personally attest to the meats as I'm vegetarian, but the rest of my party really enjoyed it. They said the beef could be cut with a fork. I thought the bread was really dry and didn't care for the salad, but the noodles were fantastic and I loved my tofu and veggies plate. It was one of our favorite restaurants. We were sat about 5 mins past our reservation time, had excellent service, and they easily accommodated my dietary requests with the veggie tofu plate and vegan ice cream. It was a big win in our book for meat eaters and vegetarians alike.

We found Ohana to be ok for dinner. We were staying at the Poly anyway and had made reservations way in advance for dinner. It was chaotic, food was lukewarm and so we didn't bother to make follow up ressies for our July trip. I honestly think it's a great value if you're on the dining plan..if not..meh.

Ohana is our favorite meal we've had at Disney. I've been there 3 times, all excellent (service can be a bit slow sometimes). We are going back for our next trip too. I'll be really sad if the food has gone downhill since 3 years ago!

It's one of the hardest reservations to get, I have never been there due to each time I go its free dining season. Keeping fingers crossed!!!

We are trying it out for the first time in February! Can't wait. I may need some alcoholic drink suggestions before we go :)

We went in 2011 and it was one of our favorite meals and we're going again this time. I thought it was delicious. I would recommend keeping an eye out for people dropping reservations on your month's thread. That's how we scored our first O'Hana's reservation back then and it's incredibly useful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter