Old Cabins to Be Removed, New DVC Cabins Coming To Fort Wilderness

I'm pretty bummed about this. I love the uniqueness of the cabins and have extremely fond memories there. But I'm even more bummed that we are losing what is perhaps the best, affordable way for me to do a Disney stay.

The cabins, imo, are the best bang for your buck. It sits at Disney's moderate resort price range, but you get a ton of value. They can sleep up to six, you have a full kitchen and outdoor grill for making meals at the cabin, it has decent living space, its quiet, you can zip up to the marina on a golf cart and connect to MK or a nice dinner at Contemporary or Wildnerness Lodge by boat.

Now they will surely jack up the price on these and they will simultaneously be hard to come by due to DVC owners getting first crack at them. If they can somehow incorporate a divided bathroom setup, or at least a double vanity, then that would be a huge improvement (one bathroom is truly the only negative to the cabins in my eyes). But it feels like I'm getting priced out of WDW everywhere I turn. I thought these might be safe from that trend. Alas.

What is the occupamcy rates with the cabins? Is Disney not filling them up that well? The rates can be over the top, right?
We booked a cabin for MNSSHP this year, and it is a cheaper option for a party of 6 than a AoA suite. We wanted 2 nights but only 1 night was available (it is a split stay of a mostly Universal trip this year). If anything, I would say this eliminates one of the cheaper Disney options for parties of 5-6. I wonder what will happen to the old cabins and will any of the cabin loops get converted to more campsites.

there is a lot to unpack with that article. On the flip side we now have that eyesore that was to be Riverside. It does sound like they may abandon that idea but they ruined the beach and the foot path so I am like whatever it is still an eyesore. i would be interested to see how the sales go. If the points are cheap i see people using it to add on to existing contracts and not really stay in the cabins, thus leaving them available to book like a hotel stay.
I don't see them offering the points at a sale price too much lower than what is currently being offered just for the reason you mention. I do see them being a lower point per night to book than a deluxe, probably more than a studio and maybe a little less than a 1BR. Though potentially the same as a lower point resort 1BR. Interesting. Should be a quick process, essentially they are pre-fab tiny homes set on the current foundations.

On the plus side, I wonder if DVC status means the cabins will have a washer/dryer now
I'm just speculating, but I suspect these cabins will be very similar to the existing ones, down to the electric and pluming supply lines. I doubt the sites are plumbed for a washing machine, or could accommodate a dryer vent.

I don't see them offering the points at a sale price too much lower than what is currently being offered just for the reason you mention. I do see them being a lower point per night to book than a deluxe, probably more than a studio and maybe a little less than a 1BR. Though potentially the same as a lower point resort 1BR. Interesting. Should be a quick process, essentially they are pre-fab tiny homes set on the current foundations.

I agree with your pre-fab thoughts, @Mle8308.

Having re-read the article more carefully, it sounds like they will be similar in form and function to the current cabins and very much fit the current footprint. If they can build these off-site and then roll them in for installation, it could move very quickly. The article says due in 2024. The current cabins sleep 6 so these might too.

They could get a small stacked washer/dryer like in many beach condos by reconfiguring the floor plan for another closet in some direction. I always thought the entrance area inside (kitchen and dining space) had some open floor space. A little of that could be used (wishful thinking on my part).

In the concept art it still has a small wooden deck, a bbq grill, and maybe a small concrete patio where all the chairs are on the ground. So other than the patio, it may not require much rework of the site and utilities. New units built off-site could be rolled in and set up as fast as they remove the old units.

It's my thought that the cabins, while serving a certain guest segment, wasn't being utilized enough and generating enough revenue. Remember about 5 years ago they pulled the cabins out of 2100 (which had been an expansion loop in the mid-70s for trailers/rvs/tents) because the trailer sites stay so fully booked more than cabins that even at a lower price point per night, it was generating more revenue.

I'm thinking the cabins had reached the end of their useful life and would need to be replaced anyway (those are currently the 2nd generation cabins the Fort has had). They've been refurbed a couple times and are about 25 years old I think. The solution was instead of replacing them with more resort cabins and making your money back over 25 more years into the future, DVC's model is to get all that money up front in selling points. Just like so many other examples of taking out resort capacity and replacing it with time share capacity (BLT and Riviera as examples).

I also think the price per point direct would be the going rate but maybe around a 1-BR point level. But super simple. No lock-offs, no blocking out 1-BR to pair it with a studio to make a 2-br. Just straight, single 6-person cabins. The dues in year 1, I would think, would be much less than any other year 1 dvc recently.

Bama Ed

PS - maybe they could squeeze at least a half bath into a floor plan along with a W/D?

PS - maybe they could squeeze at least a half bath into a floor plan along with a W/D?
The 2 articles I read only mention 1 bathroom, but even if the sink was outside the bathroom that would be a huge improvement. And of course 1.5 baths would be even better. I'd also love if they went back to a murphy bed in the living area instead of the pull-out couch.

I love the concept art and am sure I'll love the cabins, but not so sure I'll love the new price. Time will tell.

I too bet that during certain times of the year they were going unbooked. Same reason Disney converted rooms at the Grand and WL to DVC. The prices were so high that many rooms were sitting empty.

And price point will be the going rate of what DVC points are at that time. During Halloween and Christmas one will need a bank loan to book them.

The 2 articles I read only mention 1 bathroom, but even if the sink was outside the bathroom that would be a huge improvement. And of course 1.5 baths would be even better. I'd also love if they went back to a murphy bed in the living area instead of the pull-out couch.

I love the concept art and am sure I'll love the cabins, but not so sure I'll love the new price. Time will tell.
Not a whole lot of space to do that or anything more with a 504 square-foot footprint.

https://dvcfan.com/2023/04/20/disneys-fort-wilderness-cabins-are-becoming-dvc-properties/

Okey Dokey let's discuss. It's sort of like us losing our version of the Garden Wing of the Contemporary to have BLT built. They are replacing existing resort inventory and replacing it with DVC. For which they can charge more.

Read to the end of the article. Does this mean the old R*********s construction site down at Pioneer Hall won't be built on (yet)?

Bama Ed

PS - also already being discussed from the DVC angle on the DVC board. What about us from the Fort angle?

PPS - I hope I can snag a surplus kitchen table and chairs from our current cabins as a momento.
I'm heartbroken. We are booked in a cabin for December this year. I'm hoping they honor our reservation. Will let everyone know if that changes.

I would like to know how to snag those surplus chairs/tables too. Please let us know if you find out.

I'm bummed out for all the reasons mentioned already. I am not interested in joining DVC and I had my first stay at the Cabins earlier this month as an adult and I just loved it. It was perfect for all my needs and how I like to do Disney. I am concerned the price will now go up exponentially with competing with DVC members.

The cabins certainly need some TLC, but making the resort DVC is what is bumming me out the most. It just feels like Disney is moving towards being way too DVC-centric, making it more challenging for those of us who prefer to just book rooms and not be part of a timeshare program.

I'm just speculating, but I suspect these cabins will be very similar to the existing ones, down to the electric and pluming supply lines. I doubt the sites are plumbed for a washing machine, or could accommodate a dryer vent.
THIS sounds like they will have to use existing footprint, plumbing, electrical etc. > "The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort – A Disney Vacation Club Resort is projected to open in 2024 ..."

"The proposed plans to expand Fort Wilderness with a Disney Vacation Club addition call for more than 350 new cabins to replace the existing cabins at the resort, which have delighted guests for many years and will soon be ready for a refresh. Additionally, the proposed cabins would be built with an eye toward the environment, utilizing the footprint of the existing cabins and taking advantage of more energy-efficient features.

Design concepts offer a fresh take on the current cabin experience and are inspired by the resort’s idyllic setting, while also paying homage to the resort’s unique culture and heritage through the magic of Disney storytelling. Each proposed, stand-alone cabin offers spacious accommodations, sleeping up to six adults, and features a bedroom, bathroom, living room, full kitchen and private patio. A select number of cabins are also expected to be dog-friendly."

"The planned cabins are part of a collection of improvement projects underway at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground that are designed to enhance the guest experience. Examples include proposed pool and walking trail enhancements as well as new expanded dining experiences at Trail’s End Restaurant and Crockett’s Tavern, with more exciting news to come."

PER Disney Tourist Blog (Tom Bricker)

Our very first trip as a family was in the 1st generation cabins back in the early 90s, and I’ve been sentimentally attached to them ever since. So this announcement makes me happy, because I’d love to stay there again.

I'm thinking the cabins had reached the end of their useful life and would need to be replaced anyway (those are currently the 2nd generation cabins the Fort has had). They've been refurbed a couple times and are about 25 years old I think. The solution was instead of replacing them with more resort cabins and making your money back over 25 more years into the future, DVC's model is to get all that money up front in selling points. Just like so many other examples of taking out resort capacity and replacing it with time share capacity (BLT and Riviera as examples).
I think you’re right. And not only do the DVC owners pay for construction when buying points, they cover ongoing operations and maintenance whether the resort is open or not (like during the Covid closures). Disney always keeps some to rent for cash, plus they can rent any that aren’t booked on points, and they collect that cash without paying for upkeep. So to me it’s another “take it out of the resort’s budget and transfer to DVC owners’ budgets” flip like the Big Pine Key at GF.

I'm heartbroken. We are booked in a cabin for December this year. I'm hoping they honor our reservation. Will let everyone know if that changes.

I would like to know how to snag those surplus chairs/tables too. Please let us know if you find out.
I chatted with Disney today to make sure my June was still intact and they said yes.

You can still book reservations. It seems like they’re doing it in phases so I think they will honor reservations and just start limiting them in the future. Eventually they’ll have to cut it off but I think if you booked you’re fine. They’d have had to tell you ASAP.

Our very first trip as a family was in the 1st generation cabins back in the early 90s, and I’ve been sentimentally attached to them ever since. So this announcement makes me happy, because I’d love to stay there again.

I think you’re right. And not only do the DVC owners pay for construction when buying points, they cover ongoing operations and maintenance whether the resort is open or not (like during the Covid closures). Disney always keeps some to rent for cash, plus they can rent any that aren’t booked on points, and they collect that cash without paying for upkeep. So to me it’s another “take it out of the resort’s budget and transfer to DVC owners’ budgets” flip like the Big Pine Key at GF.
This. And this is why I think DVC will hit the moderate resorts at some point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter