• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Old Cabins to Be Removed, New DVC Cabins Coming To Fort Wilderness

Yes, you're probably right that they'll take the path of least resistance and leave the footprint as it. Maybe, I'm just reading too much into the concept art!

I guess I just have a soft spot for the frontier theme!

I think most of us do when it comes to the Fort. I love the log-cabiny frontier look of the place. But I guess since 'time marches on' and no one is going to listen to us anyway, I'm glad the cabins are (apparently/hopefully) going to be 'confined' to the loops in the one area.

BTW, isn't the new Tri Circle D sort of the same aesthetic? It's sort of that same 'quasi-industrial' design vibe as the new cabins.

It is sort of the same aesthetic, Stormy. I can see the similarity with the cabin concept art pic.

I look at it this way. When the Fort (and the former TCD horse barn) was initially built in the 1970s, the "frontier" days were still about 100 years in the rear view mirror. I love the log cabin theme of the Pioneer Hall area and the Fort. Heck, I love the Musket Mickey theme that was around for decades and the log siding on the current cabins.

But now, we're about 50 years (or half again) further away from the "frontier" days. And for many generations after the one I was born into, the woods and wilderness (purposely small letter "w") mean a weekend cabin or getaway in the mountains or something less than "1800s" time period.

Now, don't get me wrong, the R~ (won't say its name) design being plopped down behind Pioneer Hall was a complete architectural clash of bland style being dropped next to a historic design. The R~ design was okay if it wasn't so close to the "Wilderness" themed areas. Unless they change the name of the campground to "Fort Industrial Ugly", that design style won't go so good next to the existing buildings.

The cabins style doesn't bother me too much since they are all together in the same loops. And even the new TCD is mostly looked at without any log buildings in the same view so I'm okay with that design.

As I posted previously, though, I still think the old River Country will be built on some day. I just hope it's not an eyesore like the scrim fence is now.

Bama Ed

PS - and oh yes, remove the two demonstration cabins from the 100 loop.

Their time has come.

And gone.

I need two more RV sites in 100 loop to choose from on future visits. :banana:

Last edited:
This will be interesting. Especially the pool issue. Most of the resorts that share a pool are the same price point for cash (you pay deluxe rates or moderate rates) the Fort is an oddity. Camping sites (although pricey) are still not considered "mod or deluxe". So if the cabins have a deluxe price point, they may indeed lock up the pool for DVC use only, especialy if they re-imagine the quiet pool to something really awesome (doubtful). This will be interesting to see play out

Forgive me for not reading all the posts...

Is there a date set for the last reservations in the "old" cabins?

Forgive me for not reading all the posts...

Is there a date set for the last reservations in the "old" cabins?

Just a vague "2024" reference in the linked article in post #1, @StageTek .

As speculated in the earlier posts, this will likely be done in "waves" of loops at a time. As in clear out several loops of the old trailers and then drop in the new trailers and hook them up.

June 2023 is the expected month when 2024 booking online will become available so the availability they show by then for cabins will likely reflect the expected replacement schedule. When 2024 booking become available, it will be interesting to find the latest/furthest-out date available for the current FW cabins.

Sort of like people did with dates for Trails End once they hit the 60-day ADR window.

Bama Ed

It is sort of the same aesthetic, Stormy. I can see the similarity with the cabin concept art pic.

I look at it this way. When the Fort (and the former TCD horse barn) was initially built in the 1970s, the "frontier" days were still about 100 years in the rear view mirror. I love the log cabin theme of the Pioneer Hall area and the Fort. Heck, I love the Musket Mickey theme that was around for decades and the log siding on the current cabins.

But now, we're about 50 years (or half again) further away from the "frontier" days. And for many generations after the one I was born into, the woods and wilderness (purposely small letter "w") mean a weekend cabin or getaway in the mountains or something less than "1800s" time period.

Now, don't get me wrong, the R~ (won't say its name) design being plopped down behind Pioneer Hall was a complete architectural clash of bland style being dropped next to a historic design. The R~ design was okay if it wasn't so close to the "Wilderness" themed areas. Unless they change the name of the campground to "Fort Industrial Ugly", that design style won't go so good next to the existing buildings.

The cabins style doesn't bother me too much since they are all together in the same loops. And even the new TCD is mostly looked at without any log buildings in the same view so I'm okay with that design.

As I posted previously, though, I still think the old River Country will be built on some day. I just hope it's not an eyesore like the scrim fence is now.

Bama Ed

PS - and oh yes, remove the two demonstration cabins from the 100 loop.

Their time has come.

And gone.

I need two more RV sites in 100 loop to choose from on future visits. :banana:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Especially about 2 more sites in 100. It's our favorite loop. But let's not let the 'preferred' cat out of the bag!

I think you have a good point about the frontier days being in the 'distant pass'. And I think 'interest' in that period is on the wane, too. You don't see much 'frontier-y' stuff on TV/movies these days (other than the 'Yellowstone' spin offs). I think you and I both remember days when you couldn't change the channel without running into another TV 'Western'.

I think the new cabins, new TCD, and 'the DVC that must not be named' are much more of a 'lake-ish' aesthetic (as opposed to frontier-y). Fine on their own, of course, and can be very attractive in the right place. But the 'mix' of the two and the intrusion into sightline 'tends to offend one's artistic sensibilities'.🧐

This all came out when I was on vacation so I have not read all the posts so forgive me if this has been covered or if I missed something.

A friend who is DVC and I were talking about this. He loves the Fort but only stays when he has his camper as it doesn't make sense to pay cash for the Cabins so he is intrigued by this. We were thinking that they might not sell these exactly like the other DVC properties and nobody will own DVC points at the Fort i.e. the Fort will not be anybody's home resort. Maybe they are using money from DVC to replace the cabins and in turn DVC members will be able to book the Cabins using points 7 months out? I'm sure they will keep a block of rooms aside until the 7 month mark for DVC and eventually release them to the public if not booked by DVC. Think of it as DVC lite.

Again sorry if I missed something and any of this was covered.

Think of it as DVC lite.
This will be interesting to see how it is managed and sold. It is the first non-Deluxe or non exclusive (SSR, Riviera, Vero) DVC. There has been speculation a Moderate resort would have rooms converted into DVC (CBR rumored for a while), but that never materialized. Lots of conversation about how that would be sold, points value, maintenance and the rest.

The cabin conversion may be Disney's attempt at a DVC Lite "Moderate" model without complicating it by flipping a "real" resort. I'll keep the popcorn bucket ready and sit back to watch how this plays out. No matter how it goes, I'm sure there will be a lot of colorful conversation among the DVC owners.

j

This all came out when I was on vacation so I have not read all the posts so forgive me if this has been covered or if I missed something.

A friend who is DVC and I were talking about this. He loves the Fort but only stays when he has his camper as it doesn't make sense to pay cash for the Cabins so he is intrigued by this. We were thinking that they might not sell these exactly like the other DVC properties and nobody will own DVC points at the Fort i.e. the Fort will not be anybody's home resort. Maybe they are using money from DVC to replace the cabins and in turn DVC members will be able to book the Cabins using points 7 months out? I'm sure they will keep a block of rooms aside until the 7 month mark for DVC and eventually release them to the public if not booked by DVC. Think of it as DVC lite.

Again sorry if I missed something and any of this was covered.

This is kinda what I'm thinking. I just don't think there is enough 'there, there' to sell membership on its lonesome. It'll either be 'stand alone' cabins available to all DVC members or they'll find some way to 'tie' it to the Wilderness Lodge DVC.

This is kinda what I'm thinking. I just don't think there is enough 'there, there' to sell membership on its lonesome. It'll either be 'stand alone' cabins available to all DVC members or they'll find some way to 'tie' it to the Wilderness Lodge DVC.
I definitely see them adding it into wilderness lodge over a stand alone

I'm skeptical about all this Wilderness Lodge speculation hoo-ha. The trailers are nowhere close to the Lodge, or to Boulder Ridge for that matter.

The trailers are nowhere close to the Lodge, or to Boulder Ridge for that matter.
For those that aren't familiar with the Fort and the overall size and location of the cabins, I created a map with some key things highlighted. The Fort is about 1 mile from the Vista Blvd entrance (Outpost) to the Settlement with Hoop-D-Doo, the boat dock and Tri-Circle D stables. The cabins are a good distance from the Settlement and Wilderness Lodge.

1683212271926.png

j

For those that aren't familiar with the Fort and the overall size and location of the cabins, I created a map with some key things highlighted. The Fort is about 1 mile from the Vista Blvd entrance (Outpost) to the Settlement with Hoop-D-Doo, the boat dock and Tri-Circle D stables. The cabins are a good distance from the Settlement and Wilderness Lodge.

View attachment 758436
Am I going to haul my a*s over hill and dale to WL from the trailers to use its facilities? When it rains often? Hell no.

I guess (while speculating and putting guesses out there is fun), it really will end up as a wait and see what actually happens as (like so many have rightly pointed out) this is a new and very different way of doing DVC than anything previous.. without a doubt will be interesting to hear how it ends up being implemented.

When Disney did Copper Creek, they didn't link that DVC property with Boulder Ridge. They are 2 different associations. I would be surprised if they linked the cabins with Copper Creek or Boulder Ridge. I have mixed feelings if they do. I own CC and would benefit from the 11 month booking window. But I would be ticked if i have to pick up the added maintenance dues that the cabins would probably incur. IMHO

Hmm. The DVC people better not infringe on my Fort experience, but let me head over to that area of the campground and spend time in the extremely beneficial restaurant or trading post or use the better transportation for myself. You just better keep your distance DVC pariah. Doesn't seem quite fair.
???
I love DVC and those folks..
???
They are always welcome at my camp!!!

They are always welcome at my camp!!!
I love this.

I never mind showing off how we travel. This is a great opportunity to show the DVC folks the pleasure of having your own bed, bringing as much and whatever food I want from home and enjoying the great outdoors. I've stayed at SSR and OKW before. The rooms were great, but felt like a "rental". I used to travel a lot and have stayed in everything from a Motel 6 to the Ritz (or Disney DVC- definitely not the Ritz :duck: ). I'll take my own place and camp when I can.

As for the DVC snooty crowd, the only place I've encountered them was online (keyboard warriors likely). At WDW, everyone seems to get along whether they are staying at an All Stars or the Riviera. I've had more people surprised WDW had a campground or were fascinated with it and asking questions, than people looking down at us "lowly campers".

If I do run into someone turning their nose up, I'll be happy to show them my coach and we can discuss costs and smiles/mile vs what they have in DVC for their week or two a year.

j

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter