Oogie Boogie Bash Halloween 2023 Super Thread

I'm extremely bummed that Zombie Cap is gone this year. He sounded like a perfect addition to the party. I realize that things get freshened up, but am disappointed that a special character was replaced with regular ol' non-party characters.

Yeah, he was a fun, really cool thing they added :(

It's interesting to me how experiences can be vastly different at the same party (I went the exact same night as you). Maybe I just had good timing? None of the trails ever ran out of candy on me. I did see the bins ready for refills, though. And I got a ton of candy just doing a few trails (no kids with me). I also got about 7 I think full sized fudge brownie M&Ms at exit.

I complained in the survey about the lack of healthy treats this year 😂. I only got 3 carrots and one apple. I really missed the grapes this year. They were so good and sweet last year. Very welcome on the warm party nights.

Rides are definitely not a focus for many attending OBB. They're looking for the unique characters. I'm sure many were still hoping Zombie Captain America would make a surprise appearance.

You might have liked it better when it was MHP and at DL. While I miss it being over there, I do like that the fireworks show is no longer a party exclusive. But it does mean it's only a projection show on weekdays. Fireworks only on weekends.

OK, I completely understand this-- having read reports from this year I was preemptively disappointed that it was just apples and carrots with no grapes... but on our party night, we got a whole bunch of carrots, apples, AND grapes. They were perfect for snacking on throughout the night!

Oh that's awesome! The grapes are honestly a highlight for me so glad they were there for you. Both hydrating and sweet. Reminds me of when I was a kid trick or treating one really hot Halloween and a neighbor was giving out chilled Capri Suns. Yeah, I have my own at home, but way more fun to get them trick or treating.

The minimal I got wasn't even good. The carrots weren't sweet (but were a good texture) and the apples were mushy and not much flavor 😭

Oh well. I sent in my constructive feedback that I missed the grapes and I still had a lot of fun 😁.

I wish there had been grapes available, I’m allergic to apples and neither of us like carrots or goldfish. And literally 3/4 of our haul was those. Yeah, we got a ton of chocolate bars and candy, but the treat distribution at MNSSHP was entirely chocolate and candy this year and much more generously doled out, so less effort generated more we could eat. It really makes a difference when a CM is giving out a heaping scoop rather than just one or maybe two items.

The Headless Horseman was very cool. I had read that he proceeds the parade by 15 minutes, but it was like 5 minutes for us so I don't know if it's consistent.
I thought the treat trails all moved quickly and were set up so that you could see/ hear the character for more than just the time you are right in front.
Awesome, thank you so much. We are really looking forward to it. DS26 special needs has been working for this for months. He's so excited.

TRIP REPORT FOR OBB THURSDAY 10/19

This was the first (and probably last) OBB for my partner and I. While the atmosphere and actual party was a lot of fun, I didn't really love the experience enough to justify the cost. With that said, I'll go into how our trip went.

This was actually a big milestone event for us, as we just became DVC members and used OBB as the main reason for our Welcome Home trip at the new Villas at the DL Hotel. First off, let me say how amazing the new rooms are and the immense difference it makes in your overall trip to Disney. As Orange County locals, our trips are usually just a few hours over the weekend and we swing by the parks a few times a week. Actually, the bash was our 100th trip this year using our Magic Keys (starting on Nov 18th, Mickey & Minnie's birthday).

Staying INSIDE the bubble is so much more magical than I could have imagined. It's going to be really hard to go back to just single-day visits. Of course, being MK holders, it makes our park days less important since we can go at anytime, but there's something amazing about rope-dropping early entry, leaving by 11AM to relax at the pool/nap, grab a nice dinner, and then had back into the parks right before or after the fireworks in super comfy clothes. Anyways I digress...

We checked-in around 2pm on Thursday and after getting to our room to unpack/change into our costumes, we were in DCA by 4:30pm. We knew we wanted to eat the special pizza at Pym's at the end of the night, so we got ourselves a cocktail (or two) and munched on carrots/apples throughout the night until closing time.

I am a big Disney planner, where as my partner just goes along with what I plan, so I had an itinerary and a game plan for the party. I knew Sid was very popular and the ONLY M&G I really wanted was Lotso, we made our way to Pixar Pier around 5:30pm. After riding Incredicoaster twice (walk-on at 6pm), we met Lotso. We had a bit of a wait as he took a quick 10 minute break while queuing, but it was nice to look at how much the atmosphere changes at the pier during the party. The music seems to be louder? And everyone is super friendly, admiring costumes, and generally jovial behavior all around. PS: Lotso unfortunately did not really smell like Strawberries.... But he gave us my favorite photo of the night.

After Lotso, we went to the Treat Trail line for Sid. This was the longest line of the night, with at least 5 switch-backs, but the line consistently kept moving. And Sid was by far the most talkative villain of the night. Brilliant casting, because he's near perfect. I think a lot of people just ended up being intimated to say anything by the time they were in front of him. I had enough liquid courage in me to ask him to "Play Nice," to which he scoffed and said I wasted my time in line if he expected me to play nice.

After Sid, we continued along the pier and collected treats along the way. The Kingdom Hearts line was super backed-up at this point, so we shuffled over to Bruno, who had about a 10 minute line. After Bruno, we went through Villain's Grove with ZERO line. I was nervous about this one, 'since I had read that the lines can get super busy, but was shocked at how empty it was when we got there.

Being a light designer in college, I had high hopes and expectations for Villain's Grove. And while not exceeding them, my admittedly lofty expectations were met. What a great and unique attraction this is. I really do wish that they put this on during non-party nights, since I don't think it would be too difficult to staff. Or, if they make this party-exclusive, that they add a character (or 4) to the attraction. Not as M&G, but kind of like the treat trails.

After Villain's Grove, I unsuccessfully suggested GRR, but in retrospect, that was a good decision. Walking around with wet clothes at the end of the night would've made the experience MUCH more difficult. We went through Judge Doom's trail twice. The first time, he wasn't on his stage. The second time, I asked if he caught and liked the "freeways" and "billboards" they built in LA, but I don't think the actor caught the reference and just gave a confused, "I guess they're fine."

At this point, we found ourselves back at Carthay Circle. There were a bunch of characters around, but the lines were kind of long and the parade was going to start in like 15 minutes, so we went to take advantage of the lower wait times and knocked out Cruella and Oogie Boogie's treat trails. Checked out Sanderson Sisters, but that would've been an hour-long line. Passing them, we headed to Ernesto...

Second to Sid, Ernesto was the best character of the night. He was super chatty with the guests in line and even made a few bi-lingual jokes that brought the house bell down. The make-up and costumes were movie-level production and gave such good life to a normally empty corner of the park.

At this point, we were forced to walk by Guardians, and noticed that there was no line. Zero. So we jumped at the chance and rode that. Even with the pre-show, we were on and off in 13 minutes. At this point, the parade was happening, so we glanced at it while walking to our next trail, Agatha. Then Madam Mim: who doesn't give compliments, only accepts them.

After Madam Mim, I realized we accomplished all but one villain and we were only half-way through the party. We decided we had enough time to rest and recharge a bit before tackling the rest of the night, so we grabbed a beer and sat at Flo's for a few minutes. Rode single-rider RSR in 10 minutes, and then finished the treat trails by Cars Land and Yokai in San Fransokyo.

At this point, we finished pretty much everything unique about the party except certain Meet and Greets, Disney Junior Party, and a full sit-down of the parade. I realized at this point, I've been in such a go-go-go mode that I didn't really take the time to enjoy myself at the party. So... we did all the trails again. And you know what? It was just okay. The candy/snacks were a nice bonus, but in reality, you're coming for the party, and there just wasn't a "party" atmosphere. After spending so much time and money to secure tickets, I wanted to "have a blast" and "enjoy myself," but I found myself trying to squeeze every second out of the party, that I didn't have a good time. Perhaps that's my own doing, but it's hard to swallow that $160 for only 5 hours of rushed trick-or-treating.

Overall, I think OBB can be a fun event for the right crowd. I think if you have young children (aged 9 or younger), this would be a great alternative to a scarier/more intense Halloween party, but unless you are desperate to meet a certain character, I would save your money and apply it towards another regular park day, Scary Farm/Halloween Horror Nights, or another Halloween event.

PS: The walk-back to the Villas with 10lbs of candy was worth the price of DVC. (jk, but it was so nice)
PPS: You'll want to bring your own candy bag. We brought the Magic Key holiday tote bag... We should've brought two.

Okay, first of all I think I should report this: I saw families being pulled of line for "their tickets being part of a compromised batch" during two of my three events. That was the wording both times. One group was led away by security and not in the direction of a ticket booth, and the other group turned away on their own and walked to the Disneyland gates. I didn't hear more, I can't give more details, that is what I saw.

Candy-wise, I didn't get a single pack of Goldfish. Boo. CMs handing out carrots partly apologized - poor souls. Good supply of apples, mostly at Agatha's and Ernesto's trails on my nights. Tons of rice crispie treats.

Carthay Circle villains: We had Prince John coming out first on 10/17, then maybe 10 minutes later Hans. (Only day I aimed for them, can't give times for the other days.) Hans is at the part of the fountaing facing Starbucks. The villains seem to rotate pretty wildly with Hans being the constant one. Smee was there one night but no Hook, instead the Sheriff had ditched Prince John and was rotating with Smee. The lines were really not too bad, not even for Hans. Thor and Loki and his new friend in Campus had longer lines than the Villains. Smee was a walk up later, he got really excuted that I seriously wanted to meet him.

Considering how fast the event sold out I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd levels. 10/22 was probably the most crowded of my three parties, but even that was perfectly okay.

What I loved was the interaction with the treat trail characters this year. Way better than last year. Sid of course will always interact, but this year I talked to Agatha for a long time during the parade and she even made her handler take a picture of us because she realized quickly me trying for selfies was a lost cause. I also had a quite lengthy conversation with Cruella. The highlight was Madam Mim. I was dressed as her for the 10/19 party. She screamed when she saw me, and insisted we get a picture. Cue me going for another awkward selfie and she goes "no no no a proper portrait!" and starts yelling at the handlers until someone came to take the photo. I admit I was questioning my life choices at that point, but suddenly walking around in that wig didn't feel quite as bad anymore...

After spending so much time and money to secure tickets, I wanted to "have a blast" and "enjoy myself," but I found myself trying to squeeze every second out of the party, that I didn't have a good time. Perhaps that's my own doing, but it's hard to swallow that $160 for only 5 hours of rushed trick-or-treating.
I had kind of the same feelings as you. Like the things we did were cool, but I just felt rushed the entire time, trying to maximize the party time instead of really enjoying it. Even one more hour of party time I felt like would have gone a long way.

Overall, I think OBB can be a fun event for the right crowd. I think if you have young children (aged 9 or younger), this would be a great alternative to a scarier/more intense Halloween party, but unless you are desperate to meet a certain character, I would save your money and apply it towards another regular park day, Scary Farm/Halloween Horror Nights, or another Halloween event.
My kids enjoyed OBB, but I think if I made them pick they would probably say they liked Brick or Treat at Legoland better. While it wasn't as high quality and didn't have any Disney IP (obviously), my kids got tons of candy and rode plenty of rides with no wait. It was included with regular park admission as well and most of the special offerings were offered from 3pm until 9pm close so it was a really low stress event. If you are doing it for trick or treating and don't care about special characters, I'd highly recommend Brick or Treat.

Candy-wise, I didn't get a single pack of Goldfish. Boo. CMs handing out carrots partly apologized - poor souls. Good supply of apples, mostly at Agatha's and Ernesto's trails on my nights. Tons of rice crispie treats.
Can I just say it seems like quite the varied candy experience. I don't think we got any goldfish and we got maybe one rice crispy treat. Tons of apples and carrots. One thing of grapes each. No king size anything on the way out. Decent amount of teddy grahams and bug cookies.

Can I just say it seems like quite the varied candy experience. I don't think we got any goldfish and we got maybe one rice crispy treat. Tons of apples and carrots. One thing of grapes each. No king size anything on the way out. Decent amount of teddy grahams and bug cookies.
It really does seem to have varied quite a bit, which is really interesting. We had so. many. skittles. No goldfish at all.

I did take a photo of our treats, sorted, if anyone wants to compare! (Although we had already eaten some apples and grapes at the party)

Attachments

• 181. Oct 17 2023- OBB candy haul sorted.jpg
    181. Oct 17 2023- OBB candy haul sorted.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 27
So true. We got tons of Goldfish. No way we can get through them all, so they are going to my daughter's 1st grade teacher to have extra snacks on hand for kids who forget to bring snacks to school. No grapes, no teddy grahams/bug cookies, 1 pack of apples, lots of carrots, not much chocolate, no full size of anything.

So true. We got tons of Goldfish. No way we can get through them all, so they are going to my daughter's 1st grade teacher to have extra snacks on hand for kids who forget to bring snacks to school. No grapes, no teddy grahams/bug cookies, 1 pack of apples, lots of carrots, not much chocolate, no full size of anything.
This is so interesting. I had no idea what a difference there was across parties (or maybe even within one party). We went to every treat trail and got around 6 packages each of apples, carrots and grapes, as well as rice crispy treats. No goldfish or teddy grahams. Tons of chocolate (mostly twix, 3 musketeers, snickers), m&ms, starburst and skittles, though they weren't shoveling them out in handfuls like last year. And no full size bars, not even at the Magic Key treat trail.

This is so funny - I have mostly Peanut M&M and merfsko has one pack. Not even that is consistent.

Yup! It's the most varied I've seen it compared to previous years. Even in the same night it seems to slightly differ. Even amount gotten. I got a TON just doing every trail once. Some people reported getting one piece each at each station my same night.

No rice krispie treats here at all and no grapes as I previously mentioned. Lot of chocolate candy with some fishies and graham crackers. 3 bags of carrots and one apple. I did get the full size candy on the way out, though.

And no one was mentioned sun chips. Are we the only ones who got sun chips?

In my group of three, only one of us got Sun Chips 😬

This is so interesting. I had no idea what a difference there was across parties (or maybe even within one party). We went to every treat trail and got around 6 packages each of apples, carrots and grapes, as well as rice crispy treats. No goldfish or teddy grahams. Tons of chocolate (mostly twix, 3 musketeers, snickers), m&ms, starburst and skittles, though they weren't shoveling them out in handfuls like last year. And no full size bars, not even at the Magic Key treat trail.

The closest thing I got to full size were the 7 bags of fudge brownie M&Ms as I was exiting (which seemed odd at the time and still seems odd). Also MK trail was a let down. I knew going in it was the same gift as last year, but was hoping they'd bring back the full size almond Snickers I got last year. Nope. Just a regular (small) trail.

Skipped the photo op since I had a non MK friend in our group and didn't want to keep her waiting long.

My mom and I have been trying to hunt down a bag of just Milky Way Simply Caramel just because we loved them so much from our OBB night 🫠. We don't particularly like Milky Ways, but those Simply Caramel ones were good enough we wanted more.

Keep only finding mixed bags with them so far locally.

And no one was mentioned sun chips. Are we the only ones who got sun chips?
Oops, forgot to mention those. We did get some plain Sun Chips, but we didn't take them home with us.

This was our first OBB, after doing MHP several times in Disneyland. I much preferred our MHP hauls. Lots of chocolate. Lots of Kit Kats and Reese's PB cups -- are those not an OBB thing? We didn't see any of those. And a LOT more Snickers than we got at OBB.

Oops, forgot to mention those. We did get some plain Sun Chips, but we didn't take them home with us.

This was our first OBB, after doing MHP several times in Disneyland. I much preferred our MHP hauls. Lots of chocolate. Lots of Kit Kats and Reese's PB cups -- are those not an OBB thing? We didn't see any of those. And a LOT more Snickers than we got at OBB.

OBB is currently sponsored by Mars-Wrigley, so that's why you don't see Kit Kat or Reese's. Those are Hershey products.

What you get is going to be based on what Mars-Wrigley wants to provide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter