Oogie Boogie Bash Halloween 2023 Super Thread

We went 10/24 and had a ball! Did not keep track of all the times, BUT we started around 3pm and walked out at 10:45 to make our late Trader Sam's reservation. Here's what we accomplished:

-Ate at Lamplight, and got in line for The Sanderson Sisters before the party

-Sanderson Sisters around 6
-Cruella Treat Trail
-Oogie Treat Trail
-Ernesto Treat Trail
-Agatha Treat Trail (she was offstage, but returned before we walked through #dumb luck
-first parade dessert party (check-in took FOREVER)
-Villains Grove
-Mother Gothel Treat Trail
-Judge Doom Treat Trail
-Sheriff of Nottingham
-Snow White's Witch (Hag)
-Yokai Treat Trail
-Sid Treat Trail
-Lotso Huggin' Bear
-shopping on the way out

We purposely avoided the rides, but had a great time! Hoping for Madam Mim, and perhaps a few different villain meet and greets tonight. I've been to multiple WDW holiday parties, and I would highly recommend this event.

If I had a minor gripe, it would be about the dessert party : parade good, seating good, desserts good, check-in SLOW, walk from check-in to seating LONG, reception at seating area POOR and UNORGANIZED, wait staff AWESOME, view was just okay. If anyone wants more details, I'm happy to discuss further. I'm also sure that not every experience is like ours.

My mom and I have been trying to hunt down a bag of just Milky Way Simply Caramel just because we loved them so much from our OBB night 🫠. We don't particularly like Milky Ways, but those Simply Caramel ones were good enough we wanted more.

Keep only finding mixed bags with them so far locally.
Message me the next time you’re coming to DL, if our dates align I’ll give you ours. We got a bunch and my son doesn’t like them. 😂

I take mostly character photos, so my apologies if these are boring.

2023_3.jpg
Got really lucky and caught this insanely adorable trio at Galaxy's Edge. I don't really care what their names are, they shall forever be Huey, Dewey and Louie to me.

The Coco show:

2023_10.jpg

My favorite picture from D23 Royal Ball:

2023_4.jpg

Main Street fun... was at over 10 attempts to catch Clarabelle in the end before we succeeded.

2023_2.jpg

2023_9.jpg

2023_1.jpg

I love, love, love these two.

2023_7.jpg
2023_Agatha_3.jpg
2023_Agatha_2.jpg

2023_19.jpg

we were there on 10/24 too. Typical lines and crowds. Agatha was great as usual. Mim was pretty funny. Sid was his typical funny self. Oogie was a bit downer this year; didn't do anything funny :(

Too much carrots! Grapes were always welcomed as quick energy and fluid snacks. Beautiful day and evening. They closed GOTG a little early though. So didn't get to do the typical walk-on x3 this time around.

It's interesting to me how experiences can be vastly different at the same party (I went the exact same night as you). Maybe I just had good timing? None of the trails ever ran out of candy on me. I did see the bins ready for refills, though. And I got a ton of candy just doing a few trails (no kids with me). I also got about 7 I think full sized fudge brownie M&Ms at exit.

I complained in the survey about the lack of healthy treats this year 😂. I only got 3 carrots and one apple. I really missed the grapes this year. They were so good and sweet last year. Very welcome on the warm party nights.

Rides are definitely not a focus for many attending OBB. They're looking for the unique characters. I'm sure many were still hoping Zombie Captain America would make a surprise appearance.

You might have liked it better when it was MHP and at DL. While I miss it being over there, I do like that the fireworks show is no longer a party exclusive. But it does mean it's only a projection show on weekdays. Fireworks only on weekends.
Grapes were back on the 26th! We had to get a locker for the candy we couldn’t lug it around, and we only did 4 trails by then!

I wish they would vary some of the choices between trails (ie when my sis and I went in October the more toddler friendly or salty option was Mickey goldfish and sun chips, this week it was the mini Graham crackers.)

Last edited:
I had kind of the same feelings as you. Like the things we did were cool, but I just felt rushed the entire time, trying to maximize the party time instead of really enjoying it. Even one more hour of party time I felt like would have gone a long way.

My kids enjoyed OBB, but I think if I made them pick they would probably say they liked Brick or Treat at Legoland better. While it wasn't as high quality and didn't have any Disney IP (obviously), my kids got tons of candy and rode plenty of rides with no wait. It was included with regular park admission as well and most of the special offerings were offered from 3pm until 9pm close so it was a really low stress event. If you are doing it for trick or treating and don't care about special characters, I'd highly recommend Brick or Treat.
Again a totally different experience for me and my youngest at Brick or Treat this year - he got so very little candy and the lines were insane when we went. Both OBB I went to the Candy amounts were insane. Insane. Just goes to show how Varied it can be!

Should probably post my review, we had such a Blast this Thursday!

We did OBB on the 26th for my Bday, staying at the Disneyland Hotel. My boys went as the hitchhiking ghosts with me as their ghost host and DH as a “Foolish Mortal” and OMG the attention they got and the experience they had will be core memories for sure! Having done the party sans costume with my sister in September I think costumes can really make a difference, especially in how the characters at the treat trails interact with you.

We had dinner reservations at Carthay Circle at 4:30 and were finished by 5:45 and got in line for Oogie Boogie’s treat trail. It was neat to be there as the park switched over right at 6. While I typically will avoid mix in time like the plague (don’t like crowds, lol) arriving around 4 for dinner worked great for us. No line to enter and we were able to escape the insane crowds of day and party guests by having a sit down dinner. At party start we did Oogie Boogie (and got to see the animation artist who taught my youngest how to draw the hatbox ghost at the hotel earlier), then Cruella, Ernesto and Agatha and then snagged a spot for the parade. With only those 4 trails my DH had to go get a locker for all the candy, as it had filled a large Disney plastic bag!

We didn’t have to line up so early for the parade, but my boys wanted to get a good spot to see their hitchhiking counterparts. Boy this did not dissapoint! Gus (the ghost with the ball and chain) noticed my youngest dressed as him and went out of his way after their routine to “call him out”. The look on the CM face when he saw the boys, and his “rush” to make sure they knew was amazing.

After the parade we did villians grove with minimal wait, but the crush of humanity that way after the parade was the worst part of the evening. Major bottleneck so if I had to do it again I may have waited to head past the little mermaid area. So many people!!! After VG we did Mother Gothel, who was right on cue and called us out saying she knew us and could use our help finding a certain “bride” to lure away Flynn Ryder. Great improv on her part.

My eldest fractured his hip a couple weeks ago, and in typically teenager fashion because his other brothers wanted to ride rides and he couldn’t he got a tired and moody. So DH took he and my youngest back to the hotel (no sense in forcing people to stay if they’re done!) and my middle and I did incredicoaster, got some Jack Jack cookie num nums and then he decided he was done and we hit the buena vista treat trails and enjoyed our walk back to the hotel.

All in all a fantastic experience, especially being in costume. I loved seeing how creative people are. My faves were the tight rope walker from the stretching room complete with an alligator backpack, and a king triton flotsam/jetsam duo that was seriously on point. That dad gets bonus points galore for his costume.

What was missing for me is other entertainment options. We didn’t need more candy, but if the villians version of world of color was going on I know my teen would have stayed longer. Would love an Oogie boogie stage show as well (not the MNsSHP Sanderson sisters one, though. They can keep that out East.)

I also agree having characters in villians grove would be phenomenal, maybe they don’t do that because of backlog? I seem to recall there once were characters like the evil queen and facilier at pre pandemic parturs? That would be stellar.

All in all an amazing experience and my boys are still talking about it.

Attachments

• F3BEBE6F-AE2A-44AE-85D2-955CEA6DD336.jpeg
    F3BEBE6F-AE2A-44AE-85D2-955CEA6DD336.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 24
  • D1C2513C-5E4A-42D4-8454-3AE0377EB54F.jpeg
    D1C2513C-5E4A-42D4-8454-3AE0377EB54F.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Again a totally different experience for me and my youngest at Brick or Treat this year - he got so very little candy and the lines were insane when we went. Both OBB I went to the Candy amounts were insane. Insane. Just goes to show how Varied it can be!
How weird. We for sure got more candy at oogie boogie, but we also did less trick or treating at Brick or Treat so the amount got the time spent was good. We did Brick or Treat last Sunday (October 22). I don't know if it was because it was a Sunday or just a slow day, but we walked on every ride including Ninjago and Emmets. My 6 year old would have done driving school all day and they stayed on for multiple rides in a row and got to clean up the track by parking the cars at the end of the night.

Should probably post my review, we had such a Blast this Thursday!

We did OBB on the 26th for my Bday, staying at the Disneyland Hotel. My boys went as the hitchhiking ghosts with me as their ghost host and DH as a “Foolish Mortal” and OMG the attention they got and the experience they had will be core memories for sure! Having done the party sans costume with my sister in September I think costumes can really make a difference, especially in how the characters at the treat trails interact with you.

We had dinner reservations at Carthay Circle at 4:30 and were finished by 5:45 and got in line for Oogie Boogie’s treat trail. It was neat to be there as the park switched over right af 6. While I typically will avoid mix in time like the plague (don’t like crowds, lol) arriving around 4 for dinner worked great for us. No line to enter and we were able to escape the insane crowds of day and party guests by having a sit down dinner. At party start we did Oogie Boogie (and got to see the animation artist who taught my youngest how to draw the hatbox ghost at the hotel earlier), then Cruella, Ernesto and Agatha and then snagged a spot for the parade. With only those 4 trails my DH had to go get a locker for all the candy, as it had filled a large Disney plastic bag!

We didn’t have to line up so early for the parade, but my boys wanted to get a good spot to see their hitchhiking counterparts. Boy this did not dissapoint! Gus (the ghost with the ball and chain) noticed my youngest dressed as him and went out of his way after their routine to “call him out”. The look on the CM face when he saw the boys, and his “rush” to make sure they knew was amazing.

After the parade we did villians grove with minimal wait, but the crush of humanity that way after the parade was the worst part of the evening. Major bottleneck so if I had to do it again I may have waited to head past the little mermaid area. So many people!!! After VG we did Mother Gothel, who was right on cue and called us out saying she knew us and could use our help finding a certain “bride” to lure away Flynn Ryder. Great improv on her part.

My eldest fractured his hip a couple weeks ago, and in typically teenager fashion because his other brothers wanted to ride rides and he couldn’t he got a tired and moody. So DH took he and my youngest back to the hotel (no sense in forcing people to stay if they’re done!) and my middle and I did incredicoaster, got some Jack Jack cookie num nums and then he decided he was done and we hit the buena vista treat trails and enjoyed our walk back to the hotel.

All in all a fantastic experience, especially being in costume. I loved seeing how creative people are. My faves were the tight rope walker from the stretching room complete with an alligator backpack, and a king triton flotsam/jetsam duo that was seriously on point. That dad gets bonus points galore for his costume.

What was missing for me is other entertainment options. We didn’t need more candy, but if the villians version of world of color was going on I know my teen would have stayed longer. Would love an Oogie boogie stage show as well (not the MNsSHP Sanderson sisters one, though. They can keep that out East.)

I also agree having characters in villians grove would be phenomenal, maybe they don’t do that because of backlog? I seem to recall there once wet characters like the evil queen and facilier at pre pandemic parturs? That would be stellar.

All in all an amazing experience and my boys are still talking about it.
I agree that having costumes makes it more fun. Getting "recognized" was one of my favorite things this trip. And I liked seeing others in costume as well. It definitely adds to the atmosphere.

I love your kids' costumes by the way.

Attachments

• 234876372_MEDIUM.jpg
    234876372_MEDIUM.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 17
Did anyone get Pirate's Booty this year?
No. My middle would have eaten them all if we did, though so I guess it doesn't really matter.

We just sorted out all the candy we hadn't eaten yet and Oogie Boogie plus Brick or Treat we had 3 gallon size ziploc bags, 2c quart size, and a giant bowl to hand out on Halloween. Excluding teddy grahams, bug cookies, apples, grapes, carrots, and sunchips.

How weird. We for sure got more candy at oogie boogie, but we also did less trick or treating at Brick or Treat so the amount got the time spent was good. We did Brick or Treat last Sunday (October 22). I don't know if it was because it was a Sunday or just a slow day, but we walked on every ride including Ninjago and Emmets. My 6 year old would have done driving school all day and they stayed on for multiple rides in a row and got to clean up the track by parking the cars at the end of the night.
We were there the 21 (sat) and it was packed. That said my son is not a fan of the rides, so he was all about the treats. Just goes to show what different experiences you can have!

I know from past experience that typically as it gets closer to Halloween the more generous the CMs become with how much they give at each stop on the treat trails.

On the 19th, the non candy items were sun chips, baby carrots, apple slices, grapes, teddy grams, and the bug bites grams.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter