• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other than essential items, what are you stocking up on for Fall/Winter?

Nothing and unless you live in a rural area where it becomes routinely difficult to get around during the winter then there is no reason to hoard.

Grocery stores should be discontinuing most promotions at this point and just charge MSRP to help curb this nonsense.

Bell peppers , onions, shallots and whole tomatoes are being chopped, diced and minced before flash freezing.
I like to have my prep work done in advance when the prices are good.
Keeping my eyes open for quality meat sales.

Baking supplies. We just started the season and already the shelves are pretty bare of pumpkin purée and brown sugar.
I have 3 kids with fall birthdays so I want to make sure I have everything for their cakes.

I wasn't thinking of it that way, but I've done the same. I usually only keep one houseplant - a seemingly immortal aloe in my kitchen window - but this year I have a whole indoor herb garden growing in my office and dining room. Green things help my mood and I'm dreading winter more than usual this year, mostly out of fear that we won't be able to go anywhere to escape it (we usually travel somewhere warm for at least a week every winter), so maybe that has something to do with why I've started all these new plants.

I've been thinking about growing some herbs too. We didn't get to go away this summer. It looks unlikely for the fall, now. And there are already upticks in clusters popping up, as school is starting. So, the second round of COVID may already be starting here. I'm reveling in the last several 70 degree weather days there are left. Once they are gone, it's going to be a looong winter here. :( As you said, green living plants help my mood.

I’ve been stocking up on toilet paper, paper towels, tissues and Clorox wipes for the past 2 months. Also buying a variety of pastas and sauces, and next shopping trip I plan to stock up on the things I use for my homemade soup that I make during the winter, also have been buying up more baking supplies.

The only thing that's been in short supply here for quite some time has been Clorox type wipes and Lysol type spray. And I have plenty of both. I just always walk down those aisles any time I run into the store for anything and grab some when they happen to be there.

The hands down hardest to find has been the Lysol spray. I don't even need any because I don't use it much, and already have 1 or 2 cans. But my hairdresser uses it in her basement salon and can't get enough so I try to bring her a can every time I go for a cut.

I'm stocking up with Disney trips planned in October and December. Traveling home for Thanksgiving. 3 camping trips in October. Might squeeze in trip to Canaveral to see Space X Crew 1 Halloween night... who knows?

I'm stocking up with Disney trips planned in October and December. Traveling home for Thanksgiving. 3 camping trips in October. Might squeeze in trip to Canaveral to see Space X Crew 1 Halloween night... who knows?
Good for you. But that isn’t what this thread is about.

entirely non essential but i just stocked up on the small individual sized bags of lays potato chips. it killed me that someone in the household would grab one at the store or sandwich shop and pay $1 or more so for the longest time i would get the 10 packs at walmart for about $4.50 UNTIL i discovered that i could get a box of 60 for around $17 through bj's online :thumbsup2 went ahead and also got my oldest a 30 pack of individual cereals (all kelloggs brands she likes) for just shy of $9 (easy to take to work for a snack since her employer provides free milk).

and next shopping trip I plan to stock up on the things I use for my homemade soup that I make during the winter,

OMG, I have recently discovered organic soup starters. :lovestruc How did I not know such a thing existed all this time? My usual way of making fresh soups is so time consuming, chopping, peeling, cutting up veggies & meat. :headache: I've used frozen veggies, but I just can't spare the space in my freezer, especially now.

The only time I've had experience with dehydrated vegetables has been from ripping open one of those Cup-O-Soup packets or Styrofoam cup and pouring in water and microwaving. YUCK! The dehydrated "vegetables" were basically colorful, pulverized, petrified bits that never plumped back into any recognizable vegetable. And those packets/cups are loaded with sodium.

Yet, I was at the health food store recently, getting some cashews from the clear, acrylic bulk bins against the wall. I saw a bin for organic corn chowder. It wasn't pulverized dehydrated bits but nice big chucks & pieces. The directions said to just add to boiling water or stock and I could add optional veggies & spices if I want. Intrigued, I bought a half pound. The first time I made it, I sprinkled some of the cashews in for some protein. It was quite tasty without a lot of salt. The second time, I added more corn and some chick peas for more protein. Next time, I'll make it with chicken stock. That's when I realized how inventive these soup starters could be. :idea:

Now, I'm on the hunt for more of these soup starters in different flavors. I think these would be wonderful to have this winter. 🍵 They fit in my cabinet instead of my fridge or freezer.

51jnLUQCuHL.jpg

OMG, I have recently discovered organic soup starters. :lovestruc How did I not know such a thing existed all this time? My usual way of making fresh soups is so time consuming, chopping, peeling, cutting up veggies & meat. :headache: I've used frozen veggies, but I just can't spare the space in my freezer, especially now.

The only time I've had experience with dehydrated vegetables has been from ripping open one of those Cup-O-Soup packets or Styrofoam cup and pouring in water and microwaving. YUCK! The dehydrated "vegetables" were basically colorful, pulverized, petrified bits that never plumped back into any recognizable vegetable. And those packets/cups are loaded with sodium.

Yet, I was at the health food store recently, getting some cashews from the clear, acrylic bulk bins against the wall. I saw a bin for organic corn chowder. It wasn't pulverized dehydrated bits but nice big chucks & pieces. The directions said to just add to boiling water or stock and I could add optional veggies & spices if I want. Intrigued, I bought a half pound. The first time I made it, I sprinkled some of the cashews in for some protein. It was quite tasty without a lot of salt. The second time, I added more corn and some chick peas for more protein. Next time, I'll make it with chicken stock. That's when I realized how inventive these soup starters could be. :idea:

Now, I'm on the hunt for more of these soup starters in different flavors. I think these would be wonderful to have this winter. 🍵 They fit in my cabinet instead of my fridge or freezer.

51jnLUQCuHL.jpg
They sound great. Would you know the names of any brands? Would love to look for some.

They sound great. Would you know the names of any brands? Would love to look for some.

I forgot to take a photo of the label on the bin. But, I'm definitely going back to check to see if it had a brand name. It did have some seasonings in it, so it didn't need much more flavoring than adding some soy sauce along with the veggies & cashews I mentioned.

The soup starter pic I posted is from a different mix. I got from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Deluxe-Vegetables-Blend-Ounce/dp/B001VNKZQY/

Other ones I'm looking at getting:
https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Earth-Products-Dried-Vegetable/dp/B008BTHDQQ/

These look really interesting:
https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Soups-Homemade-Virginia-Broccoli/dp/B002HQSNDQ

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Soups-Bestsellers-Bundle-Connecticut/dp/B00NUS00Z4/

If you find any brands you really like, I'd love to hear about them. :) Maybe we can start a soup thread. We could use one to get all of us through this winter. :cold:

Books, games, dvds, and pjs. In the winter the internet tends to go out due to weather, so dvds are a must. Usually we go to the library, but we can only have 10 items out at a time, so no room for dvds. We use a lot of educational games in our school time, and the boys also like to play games. I am sucker for books in general. School books, fun books, pretty books, Disney books, Broadway books, I have a problem. :lmao: And pjs...who DOESN'T love pjs??!!!!

Cleaning out my garage, I found that I have about 100 rolls of tp. Every time I went to the store, i'd pick up a 4 or 6 pack. I had no idea I had that maney so now I have to turn my head when I walk down that aisle. The one thing i cannot find is pumpkin puree. None of the stores here can keep it on the shelves for a day. My dog has to have a tablespoon of it daily. I still have some canned goods so good there.

If you find any brands you really like, I'd love to hear about them. :) Maybe we can start a soup thread. We could use one to get all of us through this winter. :cold:

I have used the Buckeye Beans & Herbs brand of soup mix. Our favourite one that we have tried has been the Chicken 'n Thyme soup mix. They are good, but they make a LOT (like 12 servings!), so we usually end up freezing some. I have found packages of it at places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx in their food section for less than online.

The one thing i cannot find is pumpkin puree. None of the stores here can keep it on the shelves for a day.

I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near you, but they have been advertising their pumpkin puree in the Fearless Flyer that just came out. It might be an option for tracking down some.

Cleaning out my garage, I found that I have about 100 rolls of tp. Every time I went to the store, i'd pick up a 4 or 6 pack. I had no idea I had that maney so now I have to turn my head when I walk down that aisle. The one thing i cannot find is pumpkin puree. None of the stores here can keep it on the shelves for a day. My dog has to have a tablespoon of it daily. I still have some canned goods so good there.

You can make your own pumpkin puree pretty easily but if you really need it and don't want to bother with it check the baby food aisle.

Plan to get request for grandkids Christmas gifts this weekend to get done early to avoid issues with delivery delays closer to Christmas.

I have used the Buckeye Beans & Herbs brand of soup mix. Our favourite one that we have tried has been the Chicken 'n Thyme soup mix. They are good, but they make a LOT (like 12 servings!), so we usually end up freezing some. I have found packages of it at places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx in their food section for less than online.

Thanks! They have a split pea soup I am now eyeing. And I have a TJ Maxx right in between my health food store and Whole Foods. So, I'll have to add that on as a pit stop. :thumbsup2 And thanks for the warning/tip on how many servings they make.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter