• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our experience with the kids meal menu....

Status
Not open for further replies.
marcyinPA said:
Paul, I think the discussion got nasty when a DISer decided to call parents of picky eaters lazy, then tried to defend herself by saying that she was generalizing and not necessarily calling the posters on this particular thread lazy. I'm sorry, but that's a pretty lame CYA excuse if you ask me. (yeah, I know I wasn't asked). Then she has the gall to say that if it bothers us that much, then maybe our concience is creeping up on us, and we shouldn't be bothered at all by what a stranger has to say. But my question is, why make a statement like that in the first place?? What did she really think was going to happen by making a statement such as that? Like I tell my kids: "You can think it, but you shouldn't always say it"....

That poster also wanted some examples of what "picking your battles" means. Well, picking your battles in my family means letting my son wear pants and shirts that don't match (because he picked it out himself) to school. It means offering at least ONE item at breakfast, lunch, and dinner that he LIKES, and if that's all he eats, then so be it. (I DO NOT force feed....as much as I'd love for him to have a very healthy diet, force feeding can lead to other eating disorders and obesity and I just will not go there). It means if he wants his hair long, short, buzzed, blue....it's only hair. I don't think that any of these things makes me "lazy".

There are some things that are not negotiable: no piercings, no tattoos, no foul language, bed at a decent time, we treat others with respect, we pray before meals,
we value education, we put God first, no inappropiate t.v. shows, movies, or video games...

I think I can deal with the children's menu, regardless of how picky my son is. I will ask for substitutions and make it work. I know for a fact that he WILL eat a cheeseburger for every meal if I allow him to. Hopefully it won't come to that. I don't think Paul intended for this thread to be a "pickey eaters have lazy parents" thread. It didn't need to become that if people would just think before they posted, and not make such judgemental comments!

As long as you don't go to Olivias, I think you will be OK.

Wish I had typed your note! I agree across the board. :surfweb:

I agree with your "battles".... they work for me!

---Paul in Southern NJ

marcyinPA, ditto on everything (except I have DD's not son.) Other then that I could of wrote your post, but you did a better job. :teeth: :thumbsup2

BTW I just got my super picky 5 year old to eat an whole asparagus. Something she would never do before. Of course I offered her 1 piece of Halloween candy for each bite. She ended up with 6 bites, 6 pieces. Of course she didn't eat all the candy herself, she shared with us and her little sister (who tired the asparagus too, just to copy her sister.) It was small candy, but this is progress for us! She didn't even gag or complain. :cool1:

marcyinPA said:
Paul, I think the discussion got nasty when a DISer decided to call parents of picky eaters lazy, then tried to defend herself by saying that she was generalizing and not necessarily calling the posters on this particular thread lazy. I'm sorry, but that's a pretty lame CYA excuse if you ask me. (yeah, I know I wasn't asked). Then she has the gall to say that if it bothers us that much, then maybe our concience is creeping up on us, and we shouldn't be bothered at all by what a stranger has to say. But my question is, why make a statement like that in the first place?? What did she really think was going to happen by making a statement such as that? Like I tell my kids: "You can think it, but you shouldn't always say it"....

That poster also wanted some examples of what "picking your battles" means. Well, picking your battles in my family means letting my son wear pants and shirts that don't match (because he picked it out himself) to school. It means offering at least ONE item at breakfast, lunch, and dinner that he LIKES, and if that's all he eats, then so be it. (I DO NOT force feed....as much as I'd love for him to have a very healthy diet, force feeding can lead to other eating disorders and obesity and I just will not go there). It means if he wants his hair long, short, buzzed, blue....it's only hair. I don't think that any of these things makes me "lazy".

There are some things that are not negotiable: no piercings, no tattoos, no foul language, bed at a decent time, we treat others with respect, we pray before meals,
we value education, we put God first, no inappropiate t.v. shows, movies, or video games...

I think I can deal with the children's menu, regardless of how picky my son is. I will ask for substitutions and make it work. I know for a fact that he WILL eat a cheeseburger for every meal if I allow him to. Hopefully it won't come to that. I don't think Paul intended for this thread to be a "pickey eaters have lazy parents" thread. It didn't need to become that if people would just think before they posted, and not make such judgemental comments!

Whose judgemental? If only people could actually read something in full before they attack...do your legs hurt from jumping to so many conclusions? BTW- your childs dietary needs are one of the MOST important aspects of your parenting- and for you to cater to the "picky" ones by making them a sperate meal is your choice, but don't expect restaurants ect to cater to them. That's the point. And I have been called MUCH worse than lazy by your fellow posters, so why don't you use some of that "christian goodness" and back off. I am a catholic, so don't bother getting on my case about the christian comment- it's often the holiest of those among us who are the most judgemental. Practice what you preach..... ;) How with that post could you possibly be teaching your child to respect others- when you clearly don't? And really? With that short list of things that you SHOULD be teaching your child nutrition just can't get squeezed in there? Becasue you aren't teaching anything the rest of us aren't, in addition to taking good physical care of themselves- sorry, but eating well is part of this. This is the reason we have so many obese children, and obese isn't always the same as fat. THere, chew on that. Sorry, but with all the rteally nasty things you all have said to me, I'm done...teaching htem to be respectful- really? I just don't see it.

kvogel11202 said:
Whose judgemental? If only people could actually read something in full before they attack...do your legs hurt from jumping to so many conclusions? BTW- your childs dietary needs are one of the MOST important aspects of your parenting- and for you to cater to the "picky" ones by making them a sperate meal is your choice, but don't expect restaurants ect to cater to them. That's the point. And I have been called MUCH worse than lazy by your fellow posters, so why don't you use some of that "christian goodness" and back off. I am a catholic, so don't bother getting on my case about the christian comment- it's often the holiest of those among us who are the most judgemental. Practice what you preach..... ;) How with that post could you possibly be teaching your child to respect others- when you clearly don't? And really? With that short list of things that you SHOULD be teaching your child nutrition just can't get squeezed in there? Becasue you aren't teaching anything the rest of us aren't, in addition to taking good physical care of themselves- sorry, but eating well is part of this. This is the reason we have so many obese children, and obese isn't always the same as fat. THere, chew on that. Sorry, but with all the rteally nasty things you all have said to me, I'm done...teaching htem to be respectful- really? I just don't see it.

Sounds like a temper tantrum to me. :rolleyes1

Or maybe just low self esteem. :confused3

All together now - THE HORSE IS DEAD. THE HORSE IS DEAD. (Where is Linda with that dead horse smilie???).

Erase the slate, forget about the angry comments, start fresh.

This is reminding me of a Spectromagic parade. :sad2:

Actually, it sounds just like BPD. That, is why. I decided, it not best. To conutinue on. They will never actually see, what they did wrong. Part of the disorder.

kvogel11202 said:

Honestly, I don't think marcyinPA's post was judgmental at all - it seemed quite respectable, as a matter of fact. Calling parents of picky eaters lazy sounds very judgmental, obviously to many of us. I'm amazed that you can't see that. Is my conscience bothering me - not at all: my kid eats a wonderfully varied diet - maybe it's luck, maybe it's parenting skills...maybe it's a little of both.

You had me with many parts of your posts - you lost me with your delivery.

:sunny:

DisneyPhD said:
Sounds like a temper tantrum to me. :rolleyes1

Or maybe just low self esteem. :confused3

Sorry, read again, temper tantrum- possibly, but there is only so much idiocy one will put up with before they fire back- but low self esteem? Not something I have a problem with- perhaps you are projecting? :teeth:

Lets stick to discussing Disney Restaurants here, not parenting skills and insulting each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter