• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our experience with the kids meal menu....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So once again I am planning my trip on a planning forum and glad to have all the info that fellow DIsers have to give.

I just think you don't agree with my opinion so you are now going to pick apart everything for no reason. I am done. It feels silly to me.
Sure, the planning thing applies to DISers (both registered members and the figure ten times or so as many lurkers/participants in other 'aware' forums) - but again, MILLIONS of people go to Walt Disney World without knowing in advance every item on every menu - and their trips are just as enjoyable as ours, if not moreso because they're not necessarily obsessing over a change they haven't experienced but have only read about.
I disagree with the entire 'side' upset with the menu changes, including assuming apparent misinformation is, instead, fact - e.g. the "dreaded cold chicken strips" which are actually NOT cold and which at least one poster's daughter enjoyed. I'm disputing what you post, sure, but not picking it apart - and I'm disagreeing with what you say because, well, you're actively participating in this thread right now. :teeth: It's really NOT personal.

It's really disheartening to read the posts criticizing parents who are "lazy" or have "turned their kids into picky eaters". Please don't make such blanket statements. Unless you've been there, you can't understand how difficult and painful it can be to deal with a child who has an issue with food, whether it be because of a special need or not. I have an 11 YO DS who is extremely picky and a 9 YO DD who will try anything and is far from picky. Did we raise them any differently? Of course not. It's just something we have to deal with the best we know how.

I e-mailed Disney about the changes and a customer relations person called me and we chatted about the new menus. I tried to give her constructive criticism without being angry or totally negative, and I felt we had a nice conversation where she understood my concerns. Please let them know how you feel.

Items like fried chicken strips (or nuggets), mac & cheese, grilled cheese and pb&j sandwiches are staple items on kids menus everywhere. Disney isn't stupid and I'd expect a majority of those items will continue to be generally available even if they're not on the official kids menu.

Lewisc said:
Items like fried chicken strips (or nuggets), mac & cheese, grilled cheese and pb&j sandwiches are staple items on kids menus everywhere. Disney isn't stupid and I'd expect a majority of those items will continue to be generally available even if they're not on the official kids menu.

I actually received a telephone call from someone at Guest Services. We had a pleasant chat about the issues at hand and he told me that fried chicken strips wouldn't be widely available until they could source an oil with no trans-fats. So, I guess until they can do that, you'll have to pretty much ask for those chicken strips and take into consideration that might be fried in oil with trans-fat??

angelmav said:
My analysis was simply in regards to KVOGELs repeated yammering about all parents not following their regimen to be Lazy. I dont think its an analysis at all but a fact that KVOGEL repeatedly had to hammer home. Kattieeldr, you can continue to defend the menu, but you go overboard when sidestepping the rudeness of others so that you can agree with their message.

"Hey Pot! It's the Kettle. Guess what? You're black!"
How many times have you been completely rude or sarcastic to others? I see these menus EVERYDAY. There is a lot of MISinformation on this board. In the past two weeks, I've worked the floor at 3 different Disney owned restaurants. In any given week, we visit 1-2 with our 3 (ages 2-10) children. Amazingly, when I correct things, it's either ignored or remarked rudely about. Nobody is saying, "Don't Plan!". My problem is that the loudest posters about the menu are posting on MISinformation and being REALLY loud about it. Now, if someone wants to know really good places to go with their kids, feel free to PM me and I'll give suggestions. There are a lot of really good little "Disney secrets" out there that are only known by a few. I'll also try to snag a kiddie menu here and there while I'm out park hopping. Gonna be at Epcot next week. I WILL be grabbing a Le Cellier menu.
Don't you all find it interesting that most of those who go are saying that it's not as bad as what is being said on DIS? Do you really want to be completely stressed out over what isn't even truthful?

d-r said:
Do they have other options for two-year-olds?

I've ordered just the kid's chicken soup cup, just the fruit, or just fries at several restaurants. They charge you just a few dollars. All are well portioned for a 2 year old. We also tend to share with her or give her something off of her sister's plate. Sis is 4 and a light eater.
At buffets and family style places, she's free and can eat all that she wants and what she wants.

Wendy's has already gotten rid of trans-fats. KFC has announced they will be getting rid of trans-fats and have already tested the new oil. Getting rid of trans-fat isn't that hard.

The replacement oil may be more expensive and will probably have a shorter shelf life.

SamIAm21 said:
I actually received a telephone call from someone at Guest Services. We had a pleasant chat about the issues at hand and he told me that fried chicken strips wouldn't be widely available until they could source an oil with no trans-fats. So, I guess until they can do that, you'll have to pretty much ask for those chicken strips and take into consideration that might be fried in oil with trans-fat??

jakenjess said:
It's really disheartening to read the posts criticizing parents who are "lazy" or have "turned their kids into picky eaters". Please don't make such blanket statements. Unless you've been there, you can't understand how difficult and painful it can be to deal with a child who has an issue with food, whether it be because of a special need or not. I have an 11 YO DS who is extremely picky and a 9 YO DD who will try anything and is far from picky. Did we raise them any differently? Of course not. It's just something we have to deal with the best we know how.

I e-mailed Disney about the changes and a customer relations person called me and we chatted about the new menus. I tried to give her constructive criticism without being angry or totally negative, and I felt we had a nice conversation where she understood my concerns. Please let them know how you feel.

If you "choose your battles" as others have said, and your childs dietary choices are not one of those battles, please tell me what is? And having a child who will only eat chicken nuggets fried, not baked, is not a "food issue" having a child who has a severe allergy is. My kids would only eat what they liked IF I LET THEM, however I do not, I do require they try new foods, and eat a well rounded diet. Is a toddler able to be reasoned with, no, but an older child is a different story. It is really demeaning to children who actually have medical issues with food that parents who just don't want to deal with it catagorize their picky eaters as having "food issues", using this term does not change reality. And for the record, none of my kids has a medical reason to not eat any foods, and I do sympathize with families who really do have this issue. I travelled once with a wonderful little boy who had protein issues, and Disney blew me away with what they did to accomodate him. And they did it so that none of the other kids even realized his meal was different.

Well I thought it was an odd excuse, but that's what he said? He sort of caught me off guard. It's the first time I had ever received a call from WDW Guest Relations. I was in the middle of my day and didn't really expect to hear from anyone regarding my recent email to them. I didn't have my thoughts together on the subject, so when he said that those products wouldn't be available until they sourced an oil with no trans-fats, I just went with it.

He actually said there was more choices on each menu now than there has ever been, that's when I said, yes, but are they palatable choices??? :rotfl:

kvogel11202 said:
If you "choose your battles" as others have said, and your childs dietary choices are not one of those battles, please tell me what is? And having a child who will only eat chicken nuggets fried, not baked, is not a "food issue" having a child who has a severe allergy is. My kids would only eat what they liked IF I LET THEM, however I do not, I do require they try new foods, and eat a well rounded diet. Is a toddler able to be reasoned with, no, but an older child is a different story. It is really demeaning to children who actually have medical issues with food that parents who just don't want to deal with it catagorize their picky eaters as having "food issues", using this term does not change reality. And for the record, none of my kids has a medical reason to not eat any foods, and I do sympathize with families who really do have this issue. I travelled once with a wonderful little boy who had protein issues, and Disney blew me away with what they did to accomodate him. And they did it so that none of the other kids even realized his meal was different.

I never even mentioned chicken nuggets in my post. Of course food allergies are a serious consideration; I never said they weren't. All I ask is for there not to be attacks or blanket statements on parents who have issues with their children's eating. Some have made it sound like there are parents who have brought it all on themselves. Until you've sat at the table and gone through what we have, please don't judge.

angelmav said:
My analysis was simply in regards to KVOGELs repeated yammering about all parents not following their regimen to be Lazy. I dont think its an analysis at all but a fact that KVOGEL repeatedly had to hammer home. Kattieeldr, you can continue to defend the menu, but you go overboard when sidestepping the rudeness of others so that you can agree with their message.

I am only responding to what they themselves say in their posts. They "choose their battles" whatever that means...I choose mine- good nutrition, education, behavior, manners, I could go on. As a parent, it's all the battle we should be choosing. Don't complain the rest of the world isn't accomdating your childs dietary wants (not needs) when it's not important enough a battle for you to choose. That's all I am saying, oh, as well as the fact that the menus are FINE, plenty of choice, not the same at every restaurant. ;)

Oh, and before I get the "I never said any of that" the "you" in my post is on the abstract sense.

jakenjess said:
I never even mentioned chicken nuggets in my post. Of course food allergies are a serious consideration; I never said they weren't. All I ask is for there not to be attacks or blanket statements on parents who have issues with their children's eating. Some have made it sound like there are parents who have brought it all on themselves. Until you've sat at the table and gone through what we have, please don't judge.

Again, I have dealt with children who don't want to eat something ect, I have been at that table. I have worked through it with my kids, and they are able to go out to eat and manage to find a meal on the menu. I am speaking from my own experience, not just pulling some random comments out of the air. If given the choice my kids would only eat certain foods, but they are not given the choice. Has it been easy? No. Have they missed eating once or twice? Yes. Have they starved to death, gotten sick or ever been unhealthy? No. :sad2:

Yikes!! First time user of Disboards ( I've been a lurker for a few months now and enjoyed the witty repartee) Going to WDW on Wed Nov 15 with 2 kids DS12 and one picky DD7 (who eats sushi, go figure) and bought the DDP. I've copied all the menus of the restaurants I'm going to (anal, I know) and put them in a binder. If food supplied on kids menu is not to her liking I'll request something off the regular menu of comparable price and ask for that. If they say no I'll think I'll tell them I came to Florida to experience Disney not a fair replication of the Florida State Pen food menu for inmates!

monaleigh70 said:
Yikes!! First time user of Disboards ( I've been a lurker for a few months now and enjoyed the witty repartee) Going to WDW on Wed Nov 15 with 2 kids DS12 and one picky DD7 (who eats sushi, go figure) and bought the DDP. I've copied all the menus of the restaurants I'm going to (anal, I know) and put them in a binder. If food supplied on kids menu is not to her liking I'll request something off the regular menu of comparable price and ask for that. If they say no I'll think I'll tell them I came to Florida to experience Disney not a fair replication of the Florida State Pen food menu for inmates!

And a great first post it was! Welcome to the DIS (the unofficial welcome committee that I am)!

kvogel11202 said:
Again, I have dealt with children who don't want to eat something ect, I have been at that table. I have worked through it with my kids, and they are able to go out to eat and manage to find a meal on the menu. I am speaking from my own experience, not just pulling some random comments out of the air. If given the choice my kids would only eat certain foods, but they are not given the choice. Has it been easy? No. Have they missed eating once or twice? Yes. Have they starved to death, gotten sick or ever been unhealthy? No. :sad2:

I'm glad your kids are so well rounded and everything, but your posts tend to come off a tad bit condescending. It's like you have got all the answers and expect everyone else to have them too. It's great that you have "worked through" all your kids' food issues, but some of us haven't.

SamIAm21 said:
I'm glad your kids are so well rounded and everything, but your posts tend to come off a tad bit condescending. It's like you have got all the answers and expect everyone else to have them too. It's great that you have "worked through" all your kids' food issues, but some of us haven't.

Honestly, if you feel like my posts are condescending, maybe that's an issue with your own self image and not so much my statements. My answers are based on my experience, and nothing more. My feeling from this thread is that we are supposed to be outraged that these self proclaimed picky eaters aren't being catered to, and offering a different prospective. I've stated many times that these are my feelings, my experience, my opinion. Why does the opinion of a complete stranger matter to you so much anyways? My main point of contention is with the folks who say they "choose their battles"(yes this statement really sticks in my craw), and thier kids eating issues aren't one of those battles. Obviously I don't have all the answers, never claimed to. I just want to know what battles they do choose? I am far from the perfect parent- no one is- and certainly don't have all the answers. I originally posted to state that we had quite a pleasant exprience with the new kids menu in spite of four kids with differing tastes and prefrences. It went contrary to what others want to believe, but it was our experience, meant to help ease others fears who haven't been yet.

and parents who are simply to lazy, oh sorry I mean choosing their battles, to get their kids to eat right. Sorry, but if I allowed it my kids would eat the same food every day. Choosing your battles is code for lazy, and not wanting to deal with it. Your the parent, not their friend, and it is your job to teach them to eat right. So yes, this is a battle you should choose to fight. Sorry, just how I feel. :rolleyes:

The better approach would have been to have just shared your experience with the plan, and left out the above-quoted portion. It's good to hear about others' experiences with the new kids menu, but judging other people's parenting is uncalled for.

kvogel11202 said:
Honestly, if you feel like my posts are condescending, maybe that's an issue with your own self image and not so much my statements. My answers are based on my experience, and nothing more. My feeling from this thread is that we are supposed to be outraged that these self proclaimed picky eaters aren't being catered to, and offering a different prospective. I've stated many times that these are my feelings, my experience, my opinion. Why does the opinion of a complete stranger matter to you so much anyways? My main point of contention is with the folks who say they "choose their battles"(yes this statement really sticks in my craw), and thier kids eating issues aren't one of those battles. Obviously I don't have all the answers, never claimed to. I just want to know what battles they do choose? I am far from the perfect parent- no one is- and certainly don't have all the answers. I originally posted to state that we had quite a pleasant exprience with the new kids menu in spite of four kids with differing tastes and prefrences. It went contrary to what others want to believe, but it was our experience, meant to help ease others fears who haven't been yet.

Classy! :thumbsup2 :sad2:

jakenjess said:
The better approach would have been to have just shared your experience with the plan, and left out the above-quoted portion. It's good to hear about others' experiences with the new kids menu, but judging other people's parenting is uncalled for.

Well, I wouldn't have added that if other parents weren't using this as an excuse to complain. To assume the rest of the world should should adjust because they again "choose their battles" opens them up to criticism, just as I would expect it to open me up to the same. I'm a complete stranger, this is my take, run with it or don't, I really am not concerned. We all need to take things for what they are, opinions, experiences, whatever. If a blanket statement made by me hits home, maybe that's something to think about. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter