• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our experience with the kids meal menu....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience with the new kid's menu is fairly limited but I figured I would let you know what I saw and experienced.

I am a Fl res-so I don't use the DDP but have a DDE card. I was there last weekend with all adults, but we did dine at Le Cellier and the family next to us did have children- I saw one child served 'jr' steak another a hamburger.

DH & I took our two dds (6 & 9) to MGM on friday and ate at the Sci-fi. I was concerned since dd9 is an extremely picky eater but I knew I could just get her the veggie platter if necessary. Our server was great (sorry-can't remember her name) I asked what was available that wasn't on the menu and if apps and desserts can be switched. She offered to find out if chicken nuggets were avail and said that all the sides could be switched. DD6 had the pizza w/o chicken and dd9 opted for good old chicken nuggets with fries. The menu did say in small writing that fries and soft drinks were avail upon request. So dd6 asked for fries with her pizza-she didn't get them by mistake so I did get to see the new sides. 'Shredded veggies' was a shredded salad w/ ranch dressing. And the apples were not heated but did have brown sugar sprinkled on them- can't imagine that these could not be cold and plain!

The other options to the 3 pictured was mac n cheese and a hamburger.

I was happy with how my server handled it- very flexible with the choices- she made sure to bring fries after realizing my 6 yr old didn't get them. (But after eating her salad and apple she didn't eat the fries!)

I'm not too thrilled with the fact that a lot of the MGM restaurants Sci-fi, Primetime, Mama Melrose all now serve the new menu. Or that the new menu increased the prices from approx 4.99 to 7.49. With the DDE card, ts can be just the same in prices as getting individual meals at CS - but the same menu- even if flexible can be a bit boring for two meals. JMHO.

Lewisc said:
Items like fried chicken strips (or nuggets), mac & cheese, grilled cheese and pb&j sandwiches are staple items on kids menus everywhere. Disney isn't stupid and I'd expect a majority of those items will continue to be generally available even if they're not on the official kids menu.

I haven't called Disney stupid.... just very unaccomodating, at least at Olivias. There, you can NOT get grilled cheese (not on the menu), hot chicken nuggets or strips (not on the menu) or even PB&J (not on the menu)! Do you see a trend here..... the stuff kids like to eat were not offered, nor were they available even by special request! That is where I have a problem.

I would understand were I to go to a restaurant outside Disney, like the Charthouse or the Palm. These restaurants are built on the concept of "adult" dining. I would not expect a broad kid's menu. But at Disney, I DO expect it. I also expect to see "standard kid fare" as the norm, not the exception. I don't think any of the kids that I know would eat a cold fruit platter for dinner! Nor would they eat a pizza with chicken. Would they eat regular pizza... yes. Regular chicken strips or nuggets... yes. Plain pasta... yes. Even better, pasta with sauce... yes. Still better.... Mickey pasta with sauce... YES!!! (they used to have this available at all of the restaurants... but longer. We couldn't find it anywhere!)

As a sidebar, I was able to find on the kid buffet regular pizza and "normal" chicken strips at Boma and Crystal Palace. So they will offer it. They just chose not to.

Oh by the way... I was on the Paul Dining Plan.... meaning I was paying CASH for my meals. This being said, I didn't have to fit into any category of "you can't have that because it wasn't on the plan". I should have been able to get whatever I wanted.

I guess my point is that what they consider normal "healthy" food (by the way, since when did a Sundae with sprinkles, with M&Ms and WITH Chocolate sauce become a health food?) is not what many (if not most, I'm not going to debate that issue here) are not used to or want? What happened to the "customer is always right", ESPECIALLY at Disney?

Just my $0.02! I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening!

---Paul in Southern NJ

Oh, kvogel, I am so with you on all of this. I should have done a better job of parenting my son so that he would have a better diet. All he eats is junk (but he drinks a lot of milk, thank goodness). I am not being sarcastic and not criticizing you at all. I'm agreeing with you.

Now that he is 13, I'm trying to get him to eat better (I was a picky eater when I was a kid, too. My favorite sandwich to take to school for lunch was a potato chip sandwich - white bread with Jay's potato chips between the bread slices. Arggghh.) but I am still not that successful. He's choosing from the adult menu items now (but he still loves those corn dog nuggets at Cosmic Ray's), but I'm still working on the vegetables and fruits.

kvogel11202 said:
Well, I wouldn't have added that if other parents weren't using this as an excuse to complain. To assume the rest of the world should should adjust because they again "choose their battles" opens them up to criticism, just as I would expect it to open me up to the same. I'm a complete stranger, this is my take, run with it or don't, I really am not concerned. We all need to take things for what they are, opinions, experiences, whatever. If a blanket statement made by me hits home, maybe that's something to think about. :confused3

So true, you are a stranger, and knowing that. You can keep your obnoxious, critical, and unfounded opinions, about people' child rearing to yourself. Who made you, the all knowing parent, anyway? Did, any of us, miss something? Moreover, who are you, to say someone else is lazy? Or not raising thier children right. You are a stranger remember? Some people. :sad2:
But, then again, what can anyone expect coming from an "adult" having a tantrum, because, others don't agree with them.

Some people on this thread are just plain mean and ugly. And I'm not talking about kvogel. Gee whiz, people, how about some tact?

But, then again, what can anyone expect coming from an "adult" having a tantrum, because, others don't agree with them.

Who's having a tantrum???? :sad2:

I haven't read all of the responses, but here's my conspiracy theory: Maybe Disney made this menu for the TS restaurants so that people with young kids would go to more of the buffets and character meals. You can still get real chicken strips at the buffets and the family style meals give them other options, too. Maybe this is how they will keep the toddler meltdowns out of the "real" TS restaurants so all the people without kids can really enjoy their Disney trip! ;)

popcorn::

PS I'm booking Ohana, Chef Mickey's, Hollywood & Vine, and Garden Grill for my next trip so my kid won't have to eat this menu every day!! :) (although as long as they keep mac&cheese on there he'll be fine.) How come no one ever mentions that hamburgers and mac & cheese are on this menu along with the dreaded pita pizza, cold chicken and weird veggeis? Just an observation.

Deb & Bill said:
Oh, kvogel, I am so with you on all of this. I should have done a better job of parenting my son so that he would have a better diet. All he eats is junk (but he drinks a lot of milk, thank goodness). I am not being sarcastic and not criticizing you at all. I'm agreeing with you.

Now that he is 13, I'm trying to get him to eat better (I was a picky eater when I was a kid, too. My favorite sandwich to take to school for lunch was a potato chip sandwich - white bread with Jay's potato chips between the bread slices. Arggghh.) but I am still not that successful. He's choosing from the adult menu items now (but he still loves those corn dog nuggets at Cosmic Ray's), but I'm still working on the vegetables and fruits.

I had terrible eating habits as a kid. It's one of the reasons I have worked so hard to put my kids on the right path. I do feel bad that some people feel I'm judging, because honestly, I'm not. I have fully disclosed the fact that I am not perfect, nor do I have all the answers. Of course none of the "poor harrased" parents have explained to me what battles they feel are worth fighting? It's funny how some people only know how to attack, not actually provide information - facts seem to get in the way for them. Are some of these people too lazy to parent their children, so they hide behind other issues- absolutely. Come on, even some of the more hard core freak outs have to admit that. I did not point a finger at anyone specific, so if you feel I was talking to you, maybe you need to think about why? Sometimes I read things that upset me, and then I realize the problem is it hits to close to home, and I go with it. Just a thought. :confused3

faindrops27 said:
So true, you are a stranger, and knowing that. You can keep your obnoxious, critical, and unfounded opinions, about people' child rearing to yourself. Who made you, the all knowing parent, anyway? Did, any of us, miss something? Moreover, who are you, to say someone else is lazy? Or not raising thier children right. You are a stranger remember? Some people. :sad2:

The only person passing judgements is you. I never made any claims as to being the all knowing parent, simply relayed my experience and opinion. You can raise your or anyone elses children however you choose. I am not having a tantrum, or even directly aiming poor commets towards anyone on this post. You singled me out for your name calling, not the other way around, so whose having the tantrum.

psimon said:
I haven't called Disney stupid.... just very unaccomodating, at least at Olivias. There, you can NOT get grilled cheese (not on the menu), hot chicken nuggets or strips (not on the menu) or even PB&J (not on the menu)! Do you see a trend here..... the stuff kids like to eat were not offered, nor were they available even by special request! That is where I have a problem. ......

I guess my point is that what they consider normal "healthy" food (by the way, since when did a Sundae with sprinkles, with M&Ms and WITH Chocolate sauce become a health food?) is not what many (if not most, I'm not going to debate that issue here) are not used to or want?

So, you have a problem because the foods you want are not on the menu, and you can't get them by special request? Hmmm. Seems to me that a MENU lists the foods available. If there are none you like, don't go there.

For the xxxxth time, no one stated that every item on the menu is supposed to be healthy. So let go of that little arguement. In fact, you should be HAPPY, because it is there. Yet, you complain again about something.

orljustin said:
So, you have a problem because the foods you want are not on the menu, and you can't get them by special request? Hmmm. Seems to me that a MENU lists the foods available. If there are none you like, don't go there.

For the xxxxth time, no one stated that every item on the menu is supposed to be healthy. So let go of that little arguement. In fact, you should be HAPPY, because it is there. Yet, you complain again about something.

I have a question- who else took crazy pills this morning ?I think I may have taken too many! Seriously- is it just me??? :sad2:

I've long thought that children who are picky eaters seem to rule the roost in certain families here on the Dis. ;) Not something I agree with at all, but each family is different, so what are you gonna do?

I think the lesson to be learned here is: if you have a picky eater, then you probably shouldn't buy the DDP. At least not until some changes are made.

Or that the new menu increased the prices from approx 4.99 to 7.49.
Well, yes, the price for a kid's meal is $7.49 - but that's for the entire meal. Back in the "olden days", each item was priced a la carte and an entire meal came to at LEAST that much. Plus (before anybody starts with "but you have to pay for the whole meal even if you just want one item") most Disney restaurants WILL sell you a serving of, say, French fries for a small amount of money (see recent posts by BuffaloGal, based on her dining, not work, experience).

I haven't called Disney stupid.... just very unaccomodating, at least at Olivias. There, you can NOT get grilled cheese (not on the menu), hot chicken nuggets or strips (not on the menu) or even PB&J (not on the menu)! Do you see a trend here..... the stuff kids like to eat were not offered, nor were they available even by special request! That is where I have a problem.
This is two different issues. First, we have Olivia's being ENTIRELY inflexible when it comes to ANY variation from eating menu items IN the restaurant. That's a problem with THIS venue, not the Dining Plan (as evidenced by a poster recently who could not even get her dessert 'to go').
Separately, we again have the issue of "the kids eat only this, this and this, but Disney serves that, that and that". If Disney served "this, this and this", most parents would not be so adamantly against the changes - but they don't.

I guess my point is that what they consider normal "healthy" food (by the way, since when did a Sundae with sprinkles, with M&Ms and WITH Chocolate sauce become a health food?)
Do any of those items contain partially hydrogenated trans fats? Because THAT'S the issue. Grilled chicken strips don't; fried chicken nuggets, for the time being, might. A vegetable-and-fruit plate doesn't; a grilled cheese sandwich may be, for now, grilled in margarine which DOES contain phtfs.

I dunno... many of the posters here who have not even been to Walt Disney World since the menu changes have been pretty, um, demanding (for lack of a less offenseive word).

How come no one ever mentions that hamburgers and mac & cheese are on this menu along with the dreaded pita pizza, cold chicken and weird veggeis? Just an observation.
Wouldn't make for a good defense? And, one more time ;) they're NOT cold chicken strips. If they arrive at your table cold, it's a service issue.

orljustin said:
I took the red pill. This must be reality.

The we are in trouble! I keep saying I'm done with this whole debate, but goodness, it's like a car wreck, I can't help myself. I peek, then I type! ;)
Now I'll get in trouble for being insensative to car wrecks I'm sure. But hey, it's hard to hear from way up here on the pedastal I put my perfect parenting self on!

Love the DDp, Love the new kids menu.....it's lonely up here....who's with me? Anyone?..... :wave2:

This thread has quickly turned into name calling and unnecessary rudeness. I refuse to be caught up in it and am only posting since we just got back from a week in the world with an 8.5 yo and a 4 yo.

We had no problems. I was very concerned and spoke with the executive offices several times and some of the restaurants directly.

We ate at WCC, LeCellier, Coral Reef, Chef Mickey, WPC and 'Ohana.

We never saw the new menu. WCC still offers the skillet and the bottomless shake to kids. LeCellier has the steak...my son had it and it was terrific. They also offered him the shake. Coral Reef offers the lobster soup and mahi mahi on the kids menu. At 'Ohana my older one had the AYCE, the younger one asked for and got a large bowl of m&c. At WPC each had pizza...one had pepperoni, the other plain.

At counter service locations, I ordered 2 adult meals to split. A few times the younger one wanted chicken nuggets so I ordered him a kids meal. He got 2 sides out of 3 choices (but could have had FF as a choice too). He got grapes. The dessert of sugar free jello...I never got it. A few times I just skipped it, other times they offered me any other dessert. For drinks, mostly water, but a few times I wanted OJ and they gave it to me, no questions asked. We had no trouble.

Now we are heading back in February for older ds's 9th birthday and are eating at Coral Reef for that night (his pick). I have arrangements made for a birthday celebration. But after discussions with staff at that restaurant, there may be changes to the menu after Thanksgiving. If they eliminate the items he likes from the kids selections, I will up him to the adult plan. I want him (and the rest of the family) to have a great meal. We more than make up for the added cost with all of the selections and snacks that we can get.

I understand that many are nervous and upset. Heck, I was one of those people 3 weeks ago. Now, I realize that I was more worried than I had to be. If I had more ressies at restaurants like Concourse, Kona, 50's Prime Time, Sci-Fi, I would have continued to be concerned. But as of this writing, the EPCOT restaurants appear to still have a varied and diverse menu for kids. I cannot comment on what is going to happen in the next few months, but I have a few menus at home from our trip and would be happy to post exactly what is on those menus if anyone is interested.

And while I am a very diverse eater, my kids are not. Older son won't eat ANY veggies, younger one only peas. Like fruit but would never, ever eat chicken salad. But they both love tuna (as long as there is no celery in the mix). Don't really love grilled chicken (even when we make it at home). Older one loves meat...steak, burgers, ribs, etc. And both love pizza and m&c.

I try to offer diverse items at home, encouraging them to try new things. But on vacation, I don't want to have to argue or worry that they are hungry and cranky. I try to suggest that the older one order something other than burgers or pizza when it is available and appetizing. But for one week, I want him to enjoy the dining experience as much as I do.

If anyone is interested in the particular menus I have, please let me know.

Its interesting... I started this thread to let people know our experiences both with Olivia's and with the new kid menu. This, instead, has turned into a name calling, nasty, ugly discussion. Actually, discussion is probably an inappropriate word since if some of the people here were face to face, I suspect there would be push and shoving as well as a few punches thrown.

This was supposed to be a civilized conversation.. I'm sorry it has degraded to its current state.

Let's get back to providing real information and helpful insight. Not the nonsense that this has become.

---Paul in Southern NJ

psimon said:
Its interesting... I started this thread to let people know our experiences both with Olivia's and with the new kid menu. This, instead, has turned into a name calling, nasty, ugly discussion. Actually, discussion is probably an inappropriate word since if some of the people here were face to face, I suspect there would be push and shoving as well as a few punches thrown.

This was supposed to be a civilized conversation.. I'm sorry it has degraded to its current state.

Let's get back to providing real information and helpful insight. Not the nonsense that this has become.

---Paul in Southern NJ

You should have known it couldn't be a healthy debate. People get pretty touchy about stuff like this. Personally it doesn't really bother me- if someone I don't know comments on something htey believe, who cares! We had a positive experience with the new kids meals- sorry if not everyone does.

psimon said:

---Paul in Southern NJ

I agree. The point I tried to make and I think I was the victim of a hit and run sarcastic insult :moped: , not sure yet the driver of the comment has yet to come back and clarify :lmao: , was that your experience will not necessarily be the same for anyone else even at the same restaurant.

Disney if anything is not consistent. I can go to Olivia's and have a totally different experience and you will wonder if we were even in the same restaurant.

So while planning is good, with the dining situation it truly is a situation where one must be there to experience it to be sure what is going to happen. There truly is no reason to get upset and angry when what one is upset about might not even happen once you get there.

But you know chicken fingers is not worth insulting anyone whether it be sarcasm or not, so I will leave all you to this one.

My interest in this debate was the fact I have friends who actually have the ability to change this situation and I thought I might pass on some constructive comments to them that might help, but I have not seen much of that here so I will take my effort somewhere else. :wave:

Wow - what a wade through.

I am very interested in first hand experiences and I thank the OP and others who have posted after dining recently.

My dd's are not picky eaters, just the opposite. In fact prior to the new menu they often got a salad and appetizer or split an adult meal rather than order the kids stuff every meal. Yes they love chicken nuggets and such but not every day - nor will they want the same few (2-4?) choices every day.

If the "rumors" of the 2-3 additional restaurant specfic items continue to be verfied then we are all set. My dd's love mexican food, steak, seafood and even lamb so if they can't choose a kids meal with a specialty item we will just order adult meals. However they don't eat much so it will change how I and my other dd eat to accomodate what 2 can agree on rather than each having our choice. If my 9yo can get a kids meal she is happy with, even every other day, she will be thrilled. OTOH, my 11yo would eat the vegie dip plate fairly often and be pretty happy with that, especially if she could get the apples for dessert :) Of course since she is 11 that won't be happening unless I find out if I can get it as an appetizer.

We had only one experience with the new menu during our October trip and it wasn't a pleasant one. The only issue I had was the strict "no substitution" rule imposed and I was (and am still) hoping it was because the menu was very new. We ate at 50's prime time and they would not take the chicken off the pizza or sub the sundae for apples even though my dd is lactose intolerant. It wasn't an issue that day as we just switched around between my dd's and I took the chicken off the pizza. The review was a good on the pizza, excellent on the vegie plate and chicken salad and very good on the apple dessert and the ice cream.

I have never used the dining program but do have the DDE as I am an AP holder. Next trip I will only have one dd who can order off the kids menu and it will probably be only a few times.

Thanks again for all who are reporting more recent first hand experiences !

TJ

psimon said:

---Paul in Southern NJ
Paul, I think the discussion got nasty when a DISer decided to call parents of picky eaters lazy, then tried to defend herself by saying that she was generalizing and not necessarily calling the posters on this particular thread lazy. I'm sorry, but that's a pretty lame CYA excuse if you ask me. (yeah, I know I wasn't asked). Then she has the gall to say that if it bothers us that much, then maybe our concience is creeping up on us, and we shouldn't be bothered at all by what a stranger has to say. But my question is, why make a statement like that in the first place?? What did she really think was going to happen by making a statement such as that? Like I tell my kids: "You can think it, but you shouldn't always say it"....

That poster also wanted some examples of what "picking your battles" means. Well, picking your battles in my family means letting my son wear pants and shirts that don't match (because he picked it out himself) to school. It means offering at least ONE item at breakfast, lunch, and dinner that he LIKES, and if that's all he eats, then so be it. (I DO NOT force feed....as much as I'd love for him to have a very healthy diet, force feeding can lead to other eating disorders and obesity and I just will not go there). It means if he wants his hair long, short, buzzed, blue....it's only hair. I don't think that any of these things makes me "lazy".

There are some things that are not negotiable: no piercings, no tattoos, no foul language, bed at a decent time, we treat others with respect, we pray before meals,
we value education, we put God first, no inappropiate t.v. shows, movies, or video games...

I think I can deal with the children's menu, regardless of how picky my son is. I will ask for substitutions and make it work. I know for a fact that he WILL eat a cheeseburger for every meal if I allow him to. Hopefully it won't come to that. I don't think Paul intended for this thread to be a "pickey eaters have lazy parents" thread. It didn't need to become that if people would just think before they posted, and not make such judgemental comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter