Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Drivers are not paying more to stay at the resort, they are paying more to park their car at the resort while staying there.
There is nothing "not fair" for asking people to pay for a service they are using. It is no longer a perk included in the room rate.
And while you see it as supplementing DME users, I don't see it that way, DME is still available to ALL guests, if you decide not to take advantage of that perk, and bring your car that is on you. Besides, you and I, and anyone else who has been paying attention knows it is only a matter of time before they start charging for that too. I'm surprised they haven't already, and I'm surprised that they haven't charged for parking until now. That is the norm everywhere (and nobody gives a discount for those who don't park). WDW has been behind the curve on that for a long time, we should all be thankful we had that perk for this long.
Regardless though, Disney is not in the business of charity and making sure things are fair, they want to make money, as much as they can before people say enough and no longer spend it. They don't care to appear fair if the money is still rolling in.

A “perk” is an additional benefit. For those for whom flying is not practical or even feasible, parking is a requirement- not a perk. We cannot use any of the resort benefits without a place to park our cars. Therefore, in order to stay, parking is a requirement.

I am surprised at how many consumers have bought in to the idea that parking is a perk. I think that may have been a rather brilliant move on the part of merchants, but why in the world have consumers accepted it so easily? What’s next? Hotels that offer “perks” of “free beds!” or “free air conditioning!” or “free toilets!”? Or worse, hotels that start charging extra for those “perks.”

Charging for parking is not the norm everywhere. Even in Vegas, a crowded city, there are hotels with free parking (as there are all over the country). But certainly as businesses see consumers accept it, more and more will go in that direction. Because- Hey! Free money!

Now I just had an idea. What if Disney had a lot on the perimeter of their property where driving guests could leave their cars for free and be picked up and taken to their resorts? An internal DME for drivers. Then paying to park at the resorts would actually be a perk rather than a requirement. It would free up space for day guests, allow guests who choose to pay to park a better chance at actually finding an open space, and give drivers a true option as to whether to pay for parking or not. And people would no longer be able to park at the resorts for free and walk to the parks. Hm. I like it.

A “perk” is an additional benefit. For those for whom flying is not practical or even feasible, parking is a requirement- not a perk. We cannot use any of the resort benefits without a place to park our cars. Therefore, in order to stay, parking is a requirement.

I am surprised at how many consumers have bought in to the idea that parking is a perk. I think that may have been a rather brilliant move on the part of merchants, but why in the world have consumers accepted it so easily? What’s next? Hotels that offer “perks” of “free beds!” or “free air conditioning!” or “free toilets!”? Or worse, hotels that start charging extra for those “perks.”

Charging for parking is not the norm everywhere. Even in Vegas, a crowded city, there are hotels with free parking (as there are all over the country). But certainly as businesses see consumers accept it, more and more will go in that direction. Because- Hey! Free money!

Now I just had an idea. What if Disney had a lot on the perimeter of their property where driving guests could leave their cars for free and be picked up and taken to their resorts? An internal DME for drivers. Then paying to park at the resorts would actually be a perk rather than a requirement. It would free up space for day guests, allow guests who choose to pay to park a better chance at actually finding an open space, and give drivers a true option as to whether to pay for parking or not. And people would no longer be able to park at the resorts for free and walk to the parks. Hm. I like it.

I suppose you are correct, but I am still not in favor of this. My family prefers the car and I wouldn't want to pay extra for parking that has been free my entire life. Companies and huge corporations sure know how to trick consumers. They also know that we will always be divided on these issues and they benefit from that. The only time they fail is when we team up together and rise past what they put in place.

I suppose you are correct, but I am still not in favor of this. My family prefers the car and I wouldn't want to pay extra for parking that has been free my entire life. Companies and huge corporations sure know how to trick consumers. They also know that we will always be divided on these issues and they benefit from that. The only time they fail is when we team up together and rise past what they put in place.
You make excellent points.

Solidarity!!

:grouphug:

Power to the Consumer!

I’m actually not surprised Disney is doing this. It won’t affect us in our upcoming September trip and we decided to do a Universal / Sea World trip in 2019. But now to my thoughts. Disney is cutting staff. We all read about it on here. The parks are more crowded than they have ever been. Is it possible Disney is slowly pricing out people so they can run the parks with less staff, smaller crowds but make more money?

Last edited:
Drivers are not paying more to stay at the resort, they are paying more to park their car at the resort while staying there.
There is nothing "not fair" for asking people to pay for a service they are using. It is no longer a perk included in the room rate.
And while you see it as supplementing DME users, I don't see it that way, DME is still available to ALL guests, if you decide not to take advantage of that perk, and bring your car that is on you. Besides, you and I, and anyone else who has been paying attention knows it is only a matter of time before they start charging for that too. I'm surprised they haven't already, and I'm surprised that they haven't charged for parking until now. That is the norm everywhere (and nobody gives a discount for those who don't park). WDW has been behind the curve on that for a long time, we should all be thankful we had that perk for this long.
Regardless though, Disney is not in the business of charity and making sure things are fair, they want to make money, as much as they can before people say enough and no longer spend it. They don't care to appear fair if the money is still rolling in.

Parking was always included in the cost of the rooms, it was simply not included as a line item. Unless you are going to argue that they pulled the cost to build and maintain parking from some other revenue stream ???? Nah, didn't think so. It wasn't parks, or merchandise, or movies, it came from the resort revenue, which means, it was always included in the price you paid for your room. Now, they are just double charging you for it, unless they are decreasing the costs of the rooms to separate the cost of parking .... no ? Ok, so double charging then.

Its not a perk, it was never a perk, that's a sales technique. There is no free lunch, or dining, or anything. Its always included in the price, its a marketing ploy.

In fact, disney USED to use this as one of the justifications for paying the insanely marked up prices for staying on site. If you went to the "why stay on site" page, one of the reasons: parking was included in the price !!!

I very much agree they will start charging for DME ... and they will justify it by the cost of parking, which is going to be HILARIOUS. Take DME, only $10 per person, cheaper than paying for parking here !!!

But listen, if you want to start talking about "norms" aka "industry standards" by all means, lets talk about them. Because if disney is going to do the "norm" then I would like free breakfast, and I would like a loyalty program which offers me discounts, and I'd like points or some type of Stay two nights and the third night is free kind of deal ... because those are hotel norms too, even in the Orlando Area.

I’m actually not surprised Disney is doing this. It won’t affect us in our upcoming September trip and we decided to do a Universal / Sea World trip in 2019. But now to my thoughts. Disney is cutting staff. We all read about it on here. The parks are more crowded than they have ever been. Is it possible Disney is slowly pricing out people so they can run the parks with less staff, smaller crowds but make more money?
If so their bean counters have been living in caves for most of their lives.
From what I've observed the idea that it's easier to sell one million pencils for a dollar each, than to sell a million dollar pencil, is a pretty good analogy for someone trying to keep a large cash flow business afloat.
As seen in the case of Tesla Motors, the idea that "average" people will pay huge sums for technologically advanced electric cars hasn't worked.
We average people will continue to buy fossil fuel burning vehicles because they're far less expensive, extremely reliable, and can travel greater distances than the Whiz Bang electrics.
Tesla's vehicles are almost exclusively purchased by people with substantial amounts of discretionary cash, and those aren't the people who repeatedly go to Disney World year after year like many average people do.
If Disney wants to reduce crowds by upping prices to the point where only the well off can go there, they will surely cut their own financial throat.

Last edited:

I am surprised at how many consumers have bought in to the idea that parking is a perk.

No one thinks parking is a perk. They did however think that FREE parking was a perk. And it was, since yes, other places do charge for parking.

From what I've observed the idea that it's easier to sell one million pencils for a dollar each, than to sell a million dollar pencil, is a pretty good analogy for someone trying to keep a large cash flow business afloat.
As seen in the case of Tesla Motors, the idea that "average" people will pay huge sums for technologically advanced electric cars with hasn't worked.
We average people will continue to buy fossil fuel burning vehicles because they're far less expensive, extremely reliable, and can travel greater distances than the Whiz Bang electrics.
Tesla's vehicles are almost exclusively purchased by people with substantial amounts of discretionary cash, and those aren't the people who repeatedly go to Disney World year after year like many average people do.
If Disney wants to reduce crowds by upping prices to the point where only the well off can go there, they will surely cut their own financial throat.
$1 to $1million is a huge difference. I said “is it possible”. I never said that’s exactly what they are doing. It was just a thought.

Parking was always included in the cost of the rooms.
Its not a perk, it was never a perk, that's a sales technique. There is no free lunch, or dining, or anything. Its always included in the price, its a marketing ploy.

When it's marketed as a perk (which it was), then people see it as a perk. And it's a perk that's now gone, because people are now paying the same amount for their room, AND having to pay for parking. It's sleazy pure and simple.

Thanks for the replies on the question, everyone. It's interesting to see how people are planning to mitigate the fee.

As a Value-goer myself, squeezing down all the extra expenses becomes harder and harder. My wife and I were hoping to save up for APs in a few years. As quickly as costs have gone up in the last 9 months alone, I'm feeling pretty doubtful about it, and that's with already planning for costs to go up every year.

They've gone full bonkers recently.

For our week after Thanksgiving 2016 trip, we looked into staying on property. We were quoted $4400 for staying in a value resort, six day non hopper tickets and "free" dining. That's all we got

Instead, we stayed off site in a condo I got through work for $319 a week, bought discount 6 day tickets and ate two lunches in the parks while bringing our own food the rest of the week. Total cost for that vacation, including $120 in parking charges, rental car, gasoline, a night in a hotel driving down, souvineers and other things was around $2600ish.

Even by paying a daily parking charge, we came out WAY ahead of staying off property.

I admit it would be nice to stay in the Bubble, but for almost $2000 more, it isn't worth it.

Last edited:
As seen in the case of Tesla Motors, the idea that "average" people will pay huge sums for technologically advanced electric cars with hasn't worked.

Two flaws in this:

1) It's a huge jump from logic to use the 1M at $1, to 1 at $1M argument. Disney is much smarter than that. Now, 1M at $100 per day, to 750K at $150 per day, they've just cut the crowds by a not insignificant amount, which has helped reduce costs, wear and tear, and they've increased their ticket profit by $11.25M. I definitely see this as what they are doing.

They're not going to be so bold as to take a huge jump in one year. But I have no doubt that these not tiny increases year after year, that far outpace inflation, are working towards this end. I'm sure they have a 5-10 year plan going on behind the scenes with this goal in mind. I think the big "jump" in price will be this fall, when they implement the tiering, but they'll be able to do damagage control marketing. After all, it won't "really" be a price increase across the board (C'mon folks, Value season remained the same!), as much as a favor to their loyal customers who are finding the parks too crowded. They're just doing their best to give us what we want, and trying to spread the crowds out to make us more comfortable ;)

2) As far as it's the "average" family that are the repeat customers, I don't buy this. It's been said Disney markets to those making $100K plus a year. I don't know too many people who consider that "average". The middle class (using some averaged numbers, not getting into inflation etc) encompasses those making roughly $38 - 114K, which sounds pretty impressive on the upper end. But when you consider that the median US household income is only $57K, that paints a different picture. I don't know too many in that range that are making regular repeat trips. Oh, maybe one every few years or so, but certainly not repeat as in yearly, twice yearly etc... that you see talked about on here.

I would say that it's typically only those in the upper middle class and higher, that are making these repeat trips. I think most consider anyone making the mean or higher household income to be "upper middle class", which is then roughly a household income of $75K+, which only represents approximately 35% of US households, which isn't exactly your "average" US family.

Two flaws in this:

They're not going to be so bold as to take a huge jump in one year. But I have no doubt that these not tiny increases year after year, that far outpace inflation, are working towards this end. I'm sure they have a 5-10 year plan going on behind the scenes with this goal in mind. I think the big "jump" in price will be this fall, when they implement the tiering, but they'll be able to do damagage control marketing. After all, it won't "really" be a price increase across the board (C'mon folks, Value season remained the same!), as much as a favor to their loyal customers who are finding the parks too crowded. They're just doing their best to give us what we want, and trying to spread the crowds out to make us more comfortable ;)

Wasn't it just last year (might have been two years ago) when they had the "Disney is more affordable than you think" and "we can afford this" ads?

But listen, if you want to start talking about "norms" aka "industry standards" by all means, lets talk about them. Because if disney is going to do the "norm" then I would like free breakfast, .

I must be staying at the wrong places because the majority of the places I stay at doesn't include a free breakfast. At least not the high end hotels. I know Best Western does and a couple of others do.

I must be staying at the wrong places because the majority of the places I stay at doesn't include a free breakfast. At least not the high end hotels. I know Best Western does and a couple of others do.

I think the point is the these "industry standards" are all over the map. Disney is picking and choosing which set of "standards" it wants to follow to its exclusive benefit.

Wait, it's not industry standards; it's aligning properties. Nope, nope. Got that wrong. It's leading up to a magical arrival. Yeah, I think that's the latest one.

If you stay at "high end hotels" often enough to get status, they do sometimes include free breakfast (I know Hilton does). If you stay at "not-so-high-end hotels" which are still for the most part a bit more upscale than the values and even mods at Disney, breakfast is often included.

My issue is with the arbitrary comparison Disney seems to be making: "In Central Florida, nearly 80% of full-service Hotels charge a parking fee." I would be really interested to see the market data that Disney used to justify this. What was the definition of "full-service hotel"? How does that compare to a value or mod at Disney?

I'm sure they have a 5-10 year plan going on behind the scenes with this goal in mind.

I would say that it's typically only those in the upper middle class and higher, that are making these repeat trips. I think most consider anyone making the mean or higher household income to be "upper middle class", which is then roughly a household income of $75K+, which only represents approximately 35% of US households, which isn't exactly your "average" US family.
I agree 100%. I'm in an unusual position that allows me to view WDW's marketing a little differently than the average guest:
1. FL resident, 100 miles away - virtually no travel costs to get there and back
2. Single parent of an only-child who isn't involved in sports, etc. - with only two of us and little to no expenses for extracurricular activities, I can devote more of my discretionary funds to WDW than the average family
3. Income below average annual wage - I'm perfectly aware that I'm not who WDW markets to

Nothing WDW has done in recent years works for me and my needs. We've been priced out of the Halloween parties, I won't pay for special fireworks viewing or extra park hours, TIW is no longer affordable relative to our annual food/drink purchases, FL APs have new tiers and blackout dates along with higher prices. We still go to WDW because I can cut back on food expenditures to cover the higher AP rates, and I can stay offsite to mitigate increased resort costs - including the new parking fees - and we just don't do the other things that cost extra. And, to be clear, I don't feel like we're "missing out" in any way. We do WDW our way and it's all cool. :)

But watching how WDW markets and targets consumers over the past 20 years has been really interesting, and it's been particularly intriguing to see how effective it is. Often, when a new pay-to-play ploy comes out, I think to myself "Who on earth would pay extra for that?!" And then I visit the DIS or some of my Disney-centric FB groups and sure enough - loads of folks in a higher income bracket than mine are excited to pay for the hot new thing! I think WDW knows exactly what they're doing and, so far, it's working. I truly do not think the new parking fees will hurt WDW's bottom line at all.

To name a few:
Hilton brands: Hampton, Homewood Suites, Embassy Suites.
Marriott brands: Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Springhill Suites, TownPlace Suites.
IHG: Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites.

"High end hotels" is somewhat subjective in this context. I don't know if I would refer to Disney's hotels that way. In any case, the above listed hotels are comparable to Disney's quality.

The above hotels also provide a loyalty program with reward points - an industry standard. Even the hotels that DON'T provide free breakfast will have a loyalty program. Well, I mean, the NON-Disney hotels will....

Free breakfast is something that is very common though location will matter in terms of the amenity.

Just take Hilton for example: there are 43 out of 66 of their branded hotels within a 20mile radius of the location used of Walt Disney World. Embassy Suites, Hampton, Homewood Suites, Home2Suites are ones. In terms of Hilton's hierachy Embassy is Upper Upscale, Homewood Suites is considered Upscale, Hampton as well as Home2Suites is midscale/select.

I suppose it would help if you listed what you consider high end hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter