Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
This news didn't surprise us in the least! My wife and I are avid Disney fans, however, the price gouging is taking away from the experience for us now. The magic is slowly dissipating in the parks due to less cast members to cut costs for stokholders, higher prices for everything, and now parking fees for resort guests. We have the means to pay to park, but based upon principle will now not be staying at the resorts on Disney property because of MORE price gouging. It only seems to be getting worse and the more they gouge, the more hardcore fans they will lose who spend thousands every year.

But even if they came out and said they were raising the rates to compensate for free parking there would be a lot of people up in arms saying why should they pay if they don't have a car. I think either way people aren't happy no matter how they said it. I think the only way they could have done this and satisfied the majority of people is if they charged for parking at a resort while they shopped or ate. This would make sure that people who actually are staying at the resort would have a parking spot. I think the biggest problem with the current structure is that it did nothing to deter the problem folks.
The issue with your statement is you're saying they would say they are raising the rates to compensate for free parking. No Disney wouldn't even say that before nor would they after instituting the parking fees. That's just bad PR and I can't imagine, as silly as sometimes we think their statements are, that they would say that. And if they ever did in an official statement (vs a Mom's blog comment or an e-mail from a CM) I'll be surprised like none other.

I would agree that the biggest problem is they didn't do anything to deter parking spot issues but then again it's pretty clear it's got nothing to do with parking spaces and more to do with getting some extra money while not causing more hurt to their bottom line at this point if they had started out by charging Day Guests. I think no matter what charging for parking will upset many people some like me just based on principle so I agree on that but it's more easy to swallow if your room rate was being lowered (or at least stagnant for a bit of time) but alas that is not how it works. So now you've got people paying more for their room and more for being on site due to paying for parking when before it was included in your resort stay. And it's not all that crazy to imagine if this goes over well enough that is that other things go down that path, at least to an extent.

This news didn't surprise us in the least! My wife and I are avid Disney fans, however, the price gouging is taking away from the experience for us now. The magic is slowly dissipating in the parks due to less cast members to cut costs for stokholders, higher prices for everything, and now parking fees for resort guests. We have the means to pay to park, but based upon principle will now not be staying at the resorts on Disney property because of MORE price gouging. It only seems to be getting worse and the more they gouge, the more hardcore fans they will lose who spend thousands every year.

EXACTLY! It's the principle at this point, this was the last straw for us. Next trip will be offsite.

They've already lost me from onsite stays so this just makes me wonder what will happen next. Many others predicted all of this and while I admire those who are taking a stand, I wonder if that will really do any good. I guess that time will tell.

Disney has been trending this way for a long time. Many said to not worry about a slippery slope but it really was there all the time. Let's hope that they get off this kick soon.

But even if they came out and said they were raising the rates to compensate for free parking there would be a lot of people up in arms saying why should they pay if they don't have a car. I think either way people aren't happy no matter how they said it. I think the only way they could have done this and satisfied the majority of people is if they charged for parking at a resort while they shopped or ate. This would make sure that people who actually are staying at the resort would have a parking spot. I think the biggest problem with the current structure is that it did nothing to deter the problem folks.
They wouldn’t have needed to say anything, they could have just added a $5 across the board increase to the cost of the resort and nobody would have even given it a second thought. It would have been more subtle and fair.

As someone who's only stayed on-site for multiple visits over the last 25+ years, I'll be looking at off-site options for future Disney trips. (After this upcoming April race stay, at least that was booked before this misstep.)
In my time staying on-property, I've watched it degrade from magical to transactional to now becoming micro-transactional. It's getting to my feeling as nickel and dimed as playing one of Disney's mobile games.

They wouldn’t have needed to say anything, they could have just added a $5 across the board increase to the cost of the resort and nobody would have even given it a second thought. It would have been more subtle and fair.
Exactly.....
But for some reason they took the elitist "Let them eat cake" attitude and, as I told them, we are faced with a "Put up, shut up, and pay up" grab for our wallets/purses/clutches/money clips/whatever, and many of us are fed up with Disney expecting us to continually shell out whatever they think they need in order to pay the top dogs their exorbitant salaries and compensation packages.

I did not cancel my upcoming June trip, but I did switch from a deluxe to a FW cabin and for the first time ever we will be packing a lunch for our Magic Kingdom day. I’m looking forward to our picnic and saving $$$. Oh look, I just saved WAY more than $19/night. Stupid parking fee actually changed our vacation behaviors! I emailed disney to let them know, I mean human behavior is hard to change but they figured out how to do it!

I did not cancel my upcoming June trip, but I did switch from a deluxe to a FW cabin and for the first time ever we will be packing a lunch for our Magic Kingdom day. I’m looking forward to our picnic and saving $$$. Oh look, I just saved WAY more than $19/night. Stupid parking fee actually changed our vacation behaviors! I emailed disney to let them know, I mean human behavior is hard to change but they figured out how to do it!

But if you were booked before March 21st you wouldn't have been charged anyway. Its your next booking that would have been charged the fee.

For all of you saying you're going offsite for future trips, how are you getting to the parks considering they charge to park there? Are you AP holders? Are you staying somewhere with a shuttle? Are you just going to pay that parking fee?

For all of you saying you're going offsite for future trips, how are you getting to the parks considering they charge to park there? Are you AP holders? Are you staying somewhere with a shuttle? Are you just going to pay that parking fee?
I wondered this too. I also have to wonder if this is exactly what Disney was hoping for. All the loyal Disney fans moving offsite (but still coming and spending money in the parks) just frees up more rooms for the newbies. So they still have all their rooms filled, plus tons of people staying offsite too.

I drive and have an AP.

Even if I didn't have an AP, next week I am staying in a nice large suite with an awesome breakfast buffet, evening reception with drinks a ten minute drive parking lot to parking lot ............... and saving $70 per night vs staying at POP Century. So even if I paid that $22 or whatever it is, I am still coming out WAY AHEAD financially from the savings and the hot breakfast for all of us ... maybe $100 a day extra in my pocket. I could have also had a full condo style lodging for the same amount of money with wonderful amenities.

If I flew, I would rent a car - unless I stayed at Disney Springs or Bonnet Creek resorts.

I really like packing lunches, especially to MK. I find their QS to be overpriced and lacking and these days LONG lines. The mobile service we loved at first, failed us last trip and all I kept saying was "why didn't I just pack." There are so many places to eat in MK and just enjoy a peaceful low cost lunch.

Last edited:
I would assume that a large portion of hotels offer shuttles.

I know when we went in 2011 we had a free shuttle to both WDW and USO but we did end up driving a few days due to convenience. Even then though let's say you drove 3 out of 5 days I would go to WDW (giving driving myself a leg up from the free shuttle) that's $66 in parking fees to WDW. But given that I'm in Orlando for 9+ days and let's assume I had free parking at the offsite hotel:

For a Value that means staying onsite would cost $117 (9 days)
For a Moderate that means staying onsite would cost $171 (9 days)
For a Deluxe that means staying onsite would cost $216 (9 days)

OR I could spend $66 for 3 days of parking at WDW

OR to assume worse that the free shuttle I chose not to take period at all for any of the 5 days that means I paid $110 for parking which is a difference of $7 for Value, $61 for Moderate and $106.

I'm also going to for comparison sake assume that I more than likely got a lower hotel nightly rate though all things should be tit for tat so if that offsite place had resort fees, etc. For comparison sake you may say that maybe you paid more per night at an offsite hotel but you got bigger space, etc OR it could be that you could get 2 rooms more reasonably offsite rather than cramming into 1 room at WDW.

A lot rides on how many days you would be staying onsite at WDW and how many days you would feasibly be paying for parking if you opted not to take a shuttle.

If you only stayed 3 days onsite for a value that's $39 in parking fees at a Value resort, $57 at a Moderate resort and $72 at a Deluxe resort vs paying $66 for 3 days of theme park parking.

In pure financial sense the ratio of overnight resort parking versus paying for theme park parking will depend on where you stay and how long you stay for and how many days you will be going to the theme parks.

*ETA: You'd also have to add up how many days you drove to USO if you went there as well.

I'm not saying for sure if I will stay off-site next time. BUT I will be looking offsite for the first time in many years and comparing prices/costs. And this is what Disney should be concerned about. If the nearby hotels are smart, they'll capitalize on this.

They will. Its a supply and demand kind of thing. They will raise there rates since they will fill capacity.

They literally raise the room rates by far more than what they are charging for parking every year, sometimes more than once a year.

Most people have no idea how much a room costs at any given time until they price out a trip. Raising room rates is expected and I bet no one can tell you how much a room at Coronado Springs or the Polynesian cost last March 25 without looking it up. No one keeps that kind of information in their heads so it is easy for them to get away with raising room rates. If they needed a quick revenue increase, they could have simply called this a "resort fee" and be done with it. Or raised the price of a soda by a dollar. This whole thing was just poorly thought out.

Please don't let them raise soda by $1!!! That would probably hurt me worse than the parking fee!

Probably driving and paying the daily fee. With on site now chaging to park at resorts, it nearly cancels the savings on free theme park parking. Add to that the savings of offsite and not paying to park nights where you may have non disney activities (USO, NASA, Seaworld, etc) you probably come out ahead or way ahead. You also avoid the horrible bus service that is likely to get worse with this policy.

In other musings, how much does income factor into how upset you are?
I'm one of the (seemingly - hard to say for sure) few here for whom the parking fees are 99% a dollars and cents issue, so I can answer for myself at least. I live near enough (100 miles) to WDW that I can do day trips, but I also enjoy long weekend trips and a week or so long family trip each summer. I can only afford to visit that often because I live close enough to drive, and that drive costs me about $10 in gas, round-trip. And every overnight stay at WDW has to work within my allotted budget, period. The parking fee doesn't change any of that: I'll still price out onsite and offsite options and go with the resort/hotel that best meets my needs and budget. What the parking fee does do is take WDW out of the running - so far, anyway. The free parking was often what made a WDW resort a better price than an offsite option that added a resort and/or parking fee, but now WDW is on almost equal footing. And really, if prices are equal, I'm going with a Hilton or Waldorf over a WDW Mod. Pricing out my summer trip with parking fees in the mix, I come out ahead staying offsite. That may not always be the case at other times of year: I'll have to wait and see. But yes, for me, my income factors in, big-time.

I'm a FL Gold AP holder, so free parking at the parks.

At least raising the room rate makes it more "equal." As others have said, some people have no choice but to drive. My family honestly finds it way too inconvenient to use the buses. I'm sure there's several other circumstances such as people who have slight disabilities (but do not qualify for a handicap sticker) and rely on a car. So many possibilities.

It would be more equal to just raise the room rates $10 a night across the board. However, if that is the alternative, then essentially everyone is paying for parking. Why should those who don't have a car have to pay for parking?

I see both sides of that argument. I absolutely detest being nickel and dimed, and I feel the parking fee is part of that. Just tell me what the room rate is with all taxes and charges included so I know what I'm spending up front. But on the flip side, it is also kind of nice to not be charged for things you don't use.

Fair? Not to the people who don't drive. Besides what does being fair have to do with a company if they aren't a charity?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter