Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
It would be more equal to just raise the room rates $10 a night across the board. However, if that is the alternative, then essentially everyone is paying for parking. Why should those who don't have a car have to pay for parking?

I see both sides of that argument. I absolutely detest being nickel and dimed, and I feel the parking fee is part of that. Just tell me what the room rate is with all taxes and charges included so I know what I'm spending up front. But on the flip side, it is also kind of nice to not be charged for things you don't use.
What about those that don't use Magical Express? They are essentially paying for it, as it is wrapped up in the cost of staying at a Disney resort.

Charge one fee, it includes the cost of parking and/or Magical Express. And if your party doesn't use either, then no fee.

It would be more equal to just raise the room rates $10 a night across the board. However, if that is the alternative, then essentially everyone is paying for parking. Why should those who don't have a car have to pay for parking?

I see both sides of that argument. I absolutely detest being nickel and dimed, and I feel the parking fee is part of that. Just tell me what the room rate is with all taxes and charges included so I know what I'm spending up front. But on the flip side, it is also kind of nice to not be charged for things you don't use.
You're actually still paying for it. The only way you're not actually paying for what Disney considers amenities or perks for staying onsite is if they lowered the room rate by X amount and then spun off amenities and perks as separate charges.

As is the only thing you're getting is just not an additional charge you're still paying for something you don't use.

Do you get a MB each time you're onsite? Do you utilize EMH each time you're onsite? Do you take advantage of the +10 for ADRs everytime you're onsite? Do you utilize 60 days for FP+ each time you're onsite? Do you utilize DME each time you're onsite?

Who knows what Disney allocates for each thing but for sure they include amenities and perks into their calculation for what they decide to charge.

The concept of "well I don't want to pay for something I don't use" doesn't really work considering how things are structured. If Disney had from the beginning or chooses to now to make guests pay for MB each time, pay for EMH each time, pay for DME each time, pay for this pay for that, etc then you're still likely paying for something you don't use it's just bundled into a portion of the room rate charge.

Resort fees are like that too. Oftentimes it includes the pool. Well why should someone have to pay for a pool they won't even use. Or internet access or bottles of water they didn't plan on using, etc.

*Removing the non-Disney owned hotels that have recently gotten some or added back on amenities

For all of you saying you're going offsite for future trips, how are you getting to the parks considering they charge to park there? Are you AP holders? Are you staying somewhere with a shuttle? Are you just going to pay that parking fee?
I'm staying in a timeshare for a week that is 5 minutes from the parks for $169. I also have an AP so wont be paying to park my rental in Sept. But even if I didnt, it would at $154 to my bill which is way cheaper than one night at a deluxe and I am staying for 8 days. Even adding the ~$300 for the rental for the 8 days, I am still paying less than the 5 days I will stay on property in Dec.

I'm staying in a timeshare for a week that is 5 minutes from the parks for $169. I also have an AP so wont be paying to park my rental in Sept. But even if I didnt, it would at $154 to my bill which is way cheaper than one night at a deluxe and I am staying for 8 days. Even adding the ~$300 for the rental for the 8 days, I am still paying less than the 5 days I will stay on property in Dec.

Thanks for the replies on the question, everyone. It's interesting to see how people are planning to mitigate the fee.

As a Value-goer myself, squeezing down all the extra expenses becomes harder and harder. My wife and I were hoping to save up for APs in a few years. As quickly as costs have gone up in the last 9 months alone, I'm feeling pretty doubtful about it, and that's with already planning for costs to go up every year.

They've gone full bonkers recently.

Just received a passholder email, dated 3/26/18. "Complimentary transportation and parking throughout Walt Disney World Resort." Throughout the "Resort" SHOULD include hotels, especially since the email was promoting all the great benefits of staying at one of their hotels.
The FAQ for AP holders has a question that asks if AP holders get free parking at resorts and the answer says that AP holders get complimentary parking while enjoying select dining and shopping experiences at the resorts. It says that overnight guests must pay the fee for reservations booked after March 21st. I just checked the FAQs after seeing your post.

So yes, free parking if a day guest. No free parking if an overnight guest.

That AP perk you mentioned is valid, if misleading.

I got excited that there might have been a change, but no change yet.

Fair? Not to the people who don't drive. Besides what does being fair have to do with a company if they aren't a charity?
Many people who drive don’t use the buses. The people who don’t drive benefit from this because there will be more space and availability on the buses. I am also pretty sure gas for the Disney transportation is figured into the resort cost, so people who drive are paying for a service they don’t use.

But if you were booked before March 21st you wouldn't have been charged anyway. Its your next booking that would have been charged the fee.
I know, but the parking fee really ticked me off. It changed my mind about wanting to splurge. Now I want to have fun with the kids but without forking tons of money over to the mouse. Simple changes have saved us hundreds of dollars, if we keep it up we might be able to go on two vacations this year.

Fair? Not to the people who don't drive. Besides what does being fair have to do with a company if they aren't a charity?
Guests (and all humans) want to feel that they are being treated fairly. It seemed quite fair before. All guests had something. Now it seems that drivers are supplementing DME users. Drivers now pay more than others to stay in the same resort, and drivers are essentially supplementing the vacations of those who do not drive (by contributing to the cost of DME).

Many guests have an innate sense of fairness and all companies should be careful not to demonstrate blatant signs of bias (of course, there will always be bias toward those with cash who are willing to spend it, but that’s a discussion for a different thread). There should not be an obvious bias based on method of arrival.

Many people who drive don’t use the buses. The people who don’t drive benefit from this because there will be more space and availability on the buses. I am also pretty sure gas for the Disney transportation is figured into the resort cost, so people who drive are paying for a service they don’t use.

And now they have decided to not offer parking as a perk included in your room rate. You make the decision, pay for the room and use the perks that are included, or pay for the room and don't use the perks that are included. Then pay extra for the ones that are not.
Up until now, those who didn't drive also paid for the perk of free parking. At some point I'm sure we will see a free for ME and/or bus service within the whole resort. At that point, if the raise the rates and announce it is in lieu of charging for WDW transportation, those who don't use it will claim "that isn't fair".

And now they have decided to not offer parking as a perk included in your room rate. You make the decision, pay for the room and use the perks that are included, or pay for the room and don't use the perks that are included. Then pay extra for the ones that are not.
Up until now, those who didn't drive also paid for the perk of free parking. At some point I'm sure we will see a free for ME and/or bus service within the whole resort. At that point, if the raise the rates and announce it is in lieu of charging for WDW transportation, those who don't use it will claim "that isn't fair".
To each their own......

Guests (and all humans) want to feel that they are being treated fairly. It seemed quite fair before. All guests had something. Now it seems that drivers are supplementing DME users. Drivers now pay more than others to stay in the same resort, and drivers are essentially supplementing the vacations of those who do not drive (by contributing to the cost of DME).

Many guests have an innate sense of fairness and all companies should be careful not to demonstrate blatant signs of bias (of course, there will always be bias toward those with cash who are willing to spend it, but that’s a discussion for a different thread). There should not be an obvious bias based on method of arrival.

Drivers are not paying more to stay at the resort, they are paying more to park their car at the resort while staying there.
There is nothing "not fair" for asking people to pay for a service they are using. It is no longer a perk included in the room rate.
And while you see it as supplementing DME users, I don't see it that way, DME is still available to ALL guests, if you decide not to take advantage of that perk, and bring your car that is on you. Besides, you and I, and anyone else who has been paying attention knows it is only a matter of time before they start charging for that too. I'm surprised they haven't already, and I'm surprised that they haven't charged for parking until now. That is the norm everywhere (and nobody gives a discount for those who don't park). WDW has been behind the curve on that for a long time, we should all be thankful we had that perk for this long.
Regardless though, Disney is not in the business of charity and making sure things are fair, they want to make money, as much as they can before people say enough and no longer spend it. They don't care to appear fair if the money is still rolling in.

I sent an email to guest services and felt that the person who answered was either a bot or someone with very low ability to understand written comments. I asked directly whether they would address day guests scamming at EP/MK parking while ensuring paying guests had guaranteed parking. Zero insight, zero understanding of whats occurring --- just re-iterating that we should pay. What a waste of time.

I, as a deluxe resort guest --- whose has a nightly rate of over $900 per night already (for a non-club level room) am not saying no to paid parking --- but if I have to battle EP/MK park cheats to ensure I have parking if I come back during park hours --- it's not cool. I'll pay... if I have a guaranteed spot during my stay that is reasonably good... then I'm okay. If day guests mean more then so be it... we won't be back -- ever.

I don't expect that WDW is a charity but I expect that guests who pay for parking have it... This is not what they're doing and they don't care AT ALL.

I sent an email to guest services and felt that the person who answered was either a bot or someone with very low ability to understand written comments. I asked directly whether they would address day guests scamming at EP/MK parking while ensuring paying guests had guaranteed parking. Zero insight, zero understanding of whats occurring --- just re-iterating that we should pay. What a waste of time.

I, as a deluxe resort guest --- whose has a nightly rate of over $900 per night already (for a non-club level room) am not saying no to paid parking --- but if I have to battle EP/MK park cheats to ensure I have parking if I come back during park hours --- it's not cool. I'll pay... if I have a guaranteed spot during my stay that is reasonably good... then I'm okay. If day guests mean more then so be it... we won't be back -- ever.

I don't expect that WDW is a charity but I expect that guests who pay for parking have it... This is not what they're doing and they don't care AT ALL.
You need to email the executives listed on the first page on this thread.

Did you send your email to the people that are listed on the first page of this thread? I emailed Robert Chapek and received a call back from my email. The lady who called me was very friendly and seemed to listen to my concerns.

Did you send your email to the people that are listed on the first page of this thread? I emailed Robert Chapek and received a call back from my email. The lady who called me was very friendly and seemed to listen to my concerns.

Yes... yes I did send it to all the execs in the chain,.... but again.... they're definitely friendly but I don't think they care at all..... Yes they listen but as long as it doesn't interrupt their revenue flow I'm not sure it matters.... Deluxe resorts at WDW were great for us while it lasted ... (1998 to 2016 for us) but they don't care AT ALL.

Yes... yes I did send it to all the execs in the chain,.... but again.... they're definitely friendly but I don't think they care at all..... Yes they listen but as long as it doesn't interrupt their revenue flow I'm not sure it matters.... Deluxe resorts at WDW were great for us while it lasted ... (1998 to 2016 for us) but they don't care AT ALL.
I understand your frustration. I am still hoping that if enough people email that they will maybe listen. Pollyanna, right.....lol

For all of you saying you're going offsite for future trips, how are you getting to the parks considering they charge to park there? Are you AP holders? Are you staying somewhere with a shuttle? Are you just going to pay that parking fee?

AP holder, so no fee to park at the parks if I choose to go that route. LOTS of hotels offsite offer free shuttle buses as well, they just don't run as often as the Disney buses.

It used to be that the Disney resorts charged what I considered to be a reasonable upcharge for the perks of staying on property. I've been going at least once a year for the last decade or so. Disney hotels have had hefty increases in the last 4 years or so, I've noticed, and in addition they keep cutting staff and services at their resorts -- it's become noticeable;housekeeping has been lacking in many areas, not having enough staff at the front desk so you wait in longer lines, and now charging to park onsite if you have a car. Why would I pay $100 (or more) a night when I can stay off property, at a nicer hotel, and get better service besides? Not worth it to me anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter