Parasailing Castaway Cay??

D L and K's Mom

<font color=blue>D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!<
Has anyone parasailing at Castaway Cay??DD is very interested (she is 12 and weighs 62 lbs) wants to tandem parsail with Dad. Has anyone done this? I am very curious as to what you thought. I did see it was offered but did not see a listing for tandem. We are also going to Disney World after so we are wondering which would be better? Thanks in advance.

My husband has parasailed twice now at CC and plan to again this trip. He loves it. I know you can do tandem as he tried to get our DS9 to go with him but he didn't want to. Be aware though it is 70.00 per person !

DH and DD (11) tandemed on CC in January..........they absolutely loved it!!! Yes, it was $70/pp. They strap the smaller on front of the adult. The system on the boat is very sophisticated, so you'll not see anything like they show on America's Funniest Videos:eek: . You're on a 500 foot rope that takes you up about 400 feet. One suggestion.......take 2 disposable cameras with you, one for DH to take up and one for a kind person on the boat to take pics of you going up and coming down. You will not be able to watch from shore because they go way out. We have the best shots.....DH said you can see clear to the ocean floor from way up!!! He said it was more fun tandem than when he went alone years ago. Enjoy!!!:p

DH & I did it in July. We had wanted to go up tandem and we planned to do it that way. Before booking it we made sure that we could, and that we made the maximum weight(350 lbs). So we thought everything was good until we actually got on the boat to go up. Because of the conditions that day, they wouldnt allow anyone to go up tandem. There was even a father and young daughter(I think she said she was 12) and even they had to go up alone.
So, just be prepared that they may not allow them to go up at the last minute. I know I wasnt prepared for that and I was very upset. Had I known that was a possibility I would have been more accepting to the idea. I would think that is not the norm, but it has happened. Good Luck!
Oh and yes, even alone it was a cool experience and Im glad that I did it. ;)

I was very excited to see this thread. A friend and I are both parasailing on CC. Neither of us has done it before.

Do you get wet? Do you take off and land on the boat? How many people do they take out at once?

Great advice about the cameras! Should it be waterproof?

Thanks!
Jodie
:Pinkbounc

Thank you so much for all the great info. I am looking forward to hearing the answers to JODIELYN's questions. I think maybe I will make ressies at CC and then also make them at Disney. That was if we can't dock or the weather is not good DD and DH can go in Disney after the cruise. I am pretty sure you can cancel them up to 48 hours before, but i will have to check.

My daughter told me there were about 10 people on board the boat. You take off and land on a platform on the boat.

As far as getting wet, I remember my husband said that someone who went after him asked to get his feet wet, so as they were bringing him back down, they slowed the boat a bit and he went in to his ankles, then they sped up a bit, he went up, and then they brought him in for a landing on the boat.

As far as taking a disposable camera.....they're nice because they have a strap on them, but the quality of pics above water is not as clear as the regular disposable cameras, I think.

Last April, my DS and DS's 14, 12 and 8 went parasailing at the Contemporary at WDW and loved it. About the same price at CC, I think. You never get wet; they take you on the boat, put up the sail and slowly wire you up the wire to the top. No one was afraid and they even took pictures with the disposable camera. So, wherever you do it, it's probably worth it and wonderful.
A cute picture was when my DH turned the camera as best as he could on himself and DS (on the same tandem) and "shot" their faces.

I did parasailing at CC this past May. They take about 10 people out at a time. I read the hint on this board to take two cameras and it worked out great. I've got the pictures i took from above and then also the ones someone on the boat took of me going up and down. DH tried to film from the upper deck of the Wonder but as someone else said they take you pretty far out.

As for getting wet - not going up or coming down. That was a breeze and I took off from the back of the boat and landed in the same place. However we were the last boat of the day and they were running late. Getting back to the Wonder (they had already called ALL ABOARD while we were still out) they pushed the speedboat full speed and we got soaked from all the spray!

A fun time and I'm glad I did it!

My 13 year old daughter and I went tandem on the 9/28 cruise. It's up to the the captain of the parasailing boat if you can do this or not however. It's based on the weather conditions at the time. When we went, it was fairly windy and it looked like rain was on the way.

I don't like heights but this was as great experience. You take off and land on the back of the boat without getting wet at all. I did ask if they had ever dumped anyone in the water and was told that if a person says they want to get wet, they will drop them so their ankles get wet, and then pull them up again. That sounds really fun to me!!!!

I would go again in a heartbeat.!!!!!

My ds and dd both teens parasailed in June on CC. They loved it. Yes they got wet. Buy one of those cheap waterproof cameras. They did and got pictures of the Magic that were spectacular, postcard quality even for a cheap disposable camera. The angle was down as if taken from a helicopter. I have alot of pics of the Magic but none quite so unique as those my kids took for me!:D Wes

Tony,
Thanks for posting the pictures! I am so so excited! I really cannot believe i signed up to do this!

Will have a friend with me parasailing too... so we will trade cameras...

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

The pictures are fantastic. DH loved them and is even more excited:bounce: DD saw them and her comment was, "I didn't think you went up that high" :earseek: I am pretty sure she will still go though. Thanks again for the great pictures and the great explanation on how things work!!!

Wow! This sounds wonderful. Can you book this ahead of time (meaning before boarding the ship) or will I have to wait? If I can book this ahead, how far in advance can I book? It it the same price ( appx $70) If I do this alone? Lastly, does anyone know if there is a max weight restriction for a single rider? I would absolutely do this on my February cruise.:bounce:

KarenT

you can book it sixty days out from your trip. You will get a shore excursions packet in the mail. It is 70.00 per person so if there are two people it would be 140.00. I believe the weight limit was around 230 pounds something like that maybe it was 300? Anyhow it was a considerable amount.

I believe the maximum weight is 350, but for some reason I cant remember off the top of my head. I made sure to check beforehand and I know DH & myself were definitely well under it and I even allowed for a few extra lbs by the last day of the cruise. So, 350 does sound about right.

... and it states 375 lbs as the maximum. I am Pooh size, but thank goodness, a far cry from 375 so I WILL be parasailing in February. WooHooo! Thank you for all of your help and info.

KarenT

I was just going to post 375. I looked at the brochure we got and thats what it says. I think I may have thought 230 at first because before I lost all my weight I was 220 and just made the regulated amount.

I did this at CC last new years. I am scared of heights but thought its now or never. The boat before me had a grandmother, probably in her 70's and she loved it. On my boat we had kids as young as 11 and they loved it. I did the 2 camera thing and it was great. When I was up there I couldn't wipe the grin off my face it was so fantastic. After about 5 minutes I looked down at the boat and got a little scared but it was soon over and I wished I could go again. Cruising again Dec. 2003 and hoping DW, DS and DD will join me. Incredible feeling of floating.
Tony

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter