Parents of the Class of 2019

Last college visit is done, and we have a decision:

upload_2019-4-23_22-52-14.png

San Francisco it is! I had a feeling this was going to be how it went, and sure enough... DD wasn't wowed by Bryn Mawr. We ended up having to cut our trip shorter than I'd originally planned, but DD felt like she saw enough. It didn't feel connected enough to the city for her, though there is a train into Philly, and the bi-co/tri-co arrangement made it feel less like a women-only environment, which was the main appeal of Wellesley in her view. Which is a mixed blessing - USF is going to cost us more, but I'm more confident of their programs in both of her fields of study. But it is nice to have the decision made at last!

Making a decision was a bright point in a tough week. My FIL passed away unexpectedly last week, and DD is taking it fairly hard. They were really close and she knew this was likely to be her last Easter at home, so she was supposed to be cooking with him on Friday and Saturday and making a really big deal of it. He passed in his sleep on Thursday night. So Easter was a mess - MIL didn't feel up to company, with all of the arrangements to be made and well-wishers stopping in to check on her, so we had the holiday here. I never host, so it was entirely improvised and ended up being a nice time but not the big "last holiday living at home" that DD was planning, and she's so stressed about missing school next week for the visitation and funeral with the AP exams coming up so fast. But the girls seem to be leaning on one another, and we did end up doing her last (or not - she still wants a few shots with her bunnies) senior picture shoot yesterday as scheduled, which I think was a nice break for her since we did them in a park she really loves and went out for a nice dinner afterwards. Fortunately this is our spring break week, so she's got a few days of breathing room before she has to get back to the grind.

Aww Colleen, so sorry to hear of your FIL's passing. Sympathy to you, and your whole family. And that's great, your DD found the school for her.

My DD wanted to be in a big, in the city school. Well, she got her want. Not the city she first thought, was an okay site visit, but a great school for her too, and now dorm and room is picked, as well as meal plan. Best part, to me, is it is a quick train ride home, rather than a 6 or so hour drive. And yep, AP exams are on the horizon too. Her break ended yesterday, and a sorry looking kid got up, and will get up for the next 6 or so weeks, before a mid June graduation.

We're not sure what to do about a computer yet, either. The university bookstore sells computers (they also offer tech support and, if you buy through them, they offer a loaner computer if they have to keep yours.) The bookstore has a chart where they say which models are recommended for each program. For his program (business), they've got a checkmark next to every model -- mac & pc, higher-end and lower end. Does that mean that the lower end models will get him through all 4 years?! I don't want to buy more computer than he needs, but I want to get one that will last all four years.

We're a Mac family. I have used a Mac at home and work since the early 1990s. I don't know ANYTHING about PCs, so I'd sort of rather have him get a Mac, but the Macs are more expensive than similarly equipped PCs.

Graduation for us isn't until May 31st, but Senior Finals are the week before, so there basically is a whole week of nothing between finals and graduation. They have a practice and there's baccalaureate mass, but our son is basically done mid-May, especially with some of his classes not doing a final because they're taking AP Exams instead.

DS told me last night he applied for a summer job at the new math tutoring place that just opened up. He's been talking about it for awhile and knows a couple people who are already working there. He thinks even though he's not crazy about kids, he'd be happier doing this than working at a fast-casual restaurant like he did last year (although, honestly, it was fine and we assume he could go back if he wanted to). They are not open on Sundays and he doesn't even know if they have evening hours but I bet they do. So hopefully that will come through for him. I just wonder how we got to this point in the year SO quickly.

Last edited:
Vent. Long. For those that maybe have an older DS too.

I feel like DS is not with the program as:
He is so chill he will get to go to a 4 year college- prob without debt.

My mom says DD was like me in HS. Studied for As; top 10. Completes homework before last due date. Studied for test, finals-although DD did not study before her senior year. And DS is like my brother; never cracked a book and has done very well in life.

DS feels; As Bs fine - currently 79.07 is AP calc. Sat for Great Expectations test without reading all of it and he does not have that grade yet. Last week thought quiz for AP stats-surprise unit test but he got a B so he is good with it. English finished reading book at 11pm Cranked out paper at midnight. Studying for Spanish placement test for college on his own -each day- when he thinks of it.

I did not go to 4 year college but I think you need to be on top of projects.

I know he was in after school schol bowl, show choir at the same time and now the play.

He did, I feel, really well on ACT, got accepted to same college DD, good rating in the states. So I get the vibe he feels-it will still be easy- his choice of study physics. Because he has I believe the highest ACT for his class I think he is smug- like I got this.

Yes I have talked with him.

We decided Sunday they can have the 2008 car at college for next year-DD will drive DS doesn’t enjoy driving. I have not even shared that-he does not roam far from home that is not school related. DS won’t care that there is a car for activities. DD wants the car.

He has earned $500 of the last $1000 he needs for the $ we said he needs for 4 years of college. He doesn’t ask for money he spends prob less than $20 a month. His group of friends come to our house,

We bought college IL plan years ago. And then continued to save for room and board. DS received all but fees in scholarships offered to him-no room or board money was given for the school he picked. college IL will give us money back due to scholarships. And that will be used to pay for first years room and board. That is huge. I tell him if his grades are good for college-I believe he can continue to receive all 4 years. Again I feel like he does not verbally tell me how good this deal is.

He is a good kid, has chores ect. Mowed 3 lawns this weekend for spending money. He does what is requested just at his tune. Argggggg. Are boys like this???? I read on here how appreciative others boys are, mine. Hmmmmm.

We are not cash rich, I budget for everything after I was done paying for bbsitters, I put that money towards college.

DS just sent me a screen shot of his AP calc grade, he now has a B. His teacher said everyone did really bad on the last test so she was waiting to put in the grade, but DS was one who did well on the test. He just text he got A for that test.

Last edited:
Aww, I'm sorry you're having a tough time.

For what it's worth, my husband describes himself similarly to how you described your son. He had a rude awakening when he got to college, but he got it together and ended up doing very well.

My son didn't work very hard freshman and sophomore years of high school. (Not horrible... but "was fine" with Bs and an occasional C when he could've gotten As with only a little bit of effort.) He got himself into gear starting in junior year and was able to get into the colleges he hoped to attend, but I think he's kicking himself at some of the scholarships and opportunities that some of his friends are getting. If he'd done his best all four years, he might have had those options, too. I hope he's learned his lesson and will hit the ground running in college.

However, I absolutely do NOT think he fully comprehends what an investment we are making in his education. For him it's just a natural progression: elementary > middle school > high school > college. And maybe I was the same... but I don't think so. I was the first in my family to attend and although my parents always presented it as "when you go" (never "if..."), I do think I realized that it was a big opportunity that not everyone gets. I'm not sure I'd say that my son is "appreciative" of the opportunities he's getting. It's more like "he's doing his part, and we're doing ours" and this is what is supposed to happen. Perhaps it's partially because almost everyone in his high school is on a college-prep path.

I am thankful that he's found an area of study that he's interested in that I think will lead to a career... so hopefully he's on a good path.

@mjkacmom Congrats on the scholarship! Renewable ones are the best! I just got my USPS Informed Delivery email and there is a letter to DD from one of the local scholarships...I don't know if they mail rejection letters or just the winner?? It's not big but it's one that I won as a senior so that would be cool. Will have to wait till she gets home.

@Gumbo4x4 My girls prefer Mac, but DD's college provides a PC laptop. For a while she was complaining because she's used to a Macbook from her HS, and she wouldn't have the free laptop over summers. Then decided she doesn't spend that much time on her laptop so it didn't matter. We have an older Macbook at home and DD20 spent some time recently cleaning her old stuff off of it and fixing issues so DD17 can take it if she wants.

@Colleen27 Sorry about your FIL that's really rough.

At accepted student day for Clarkson all the student panels for Aeronautical Engineering told the kids not to get a MacBook because some of the required software didn't work well on Macs.

My DD17 could have purchased a laptop through her school which would have meant free repairs for the 4 years but it wasn't a very good deal and DD really wanted another laptop that was much lighter. It was relatively expensive but she never asks for anything so I got it for her. When she was home for Thanksgiving her freshman year the screen died.:headache: It was covered under the warranty but I had to buy her a new laptop to use while her expensive one was being repaired-She didn't it back until early February. Thankfully no problems with her expensive laptop since. DS19 is now using her "temporary" one but of course he doesn't like it. I will let him pick out what he wants for college. Clarkson does not offer a purchase program. Wish they did!

Sorry about your FIL, Colleen27.

We haven't really thought about a laptop yet. DS has a cheap-ish HP that he got year before last, and it is okay. We will probably wait and see what his program requires before we buy anything else. DH is a Mac person and DS is not, but it may come down to what he needs more than what he wants.

He has one more scholarship application to fill out, with a deadline of May 4. We thought he was done with those, but I found this one yesterday and it is local. I'm going to try to push him to do it over the weekend. He is tired of filling them out, and I understand that, but it is short and he is just going to have to do it. He is right around 50% of the costs for his first year covered, and I'd like to see him have more than that. It isn't a deal breaker, but we are likely going to have to take loans for part of it, and every $1000 he gets is $1000 I don't have to pay back. He will likely get 2-3 $500-ish scholarships from his school as well, those are presented at graduation and I don't think he knows they even exist; the kids don't apply, they are chosen by the administrator and teachers.

The pictures came in for the tri-fold board for his grad table, so I guess I need to get started on that.

I was looking at the calendar for something for DS15 a few minutes ago, and I realized that graduation is one month from today. Gulp! I knew the date, I knew it is coming but that seems like such a short amount of time!

So Dd was informed that she has been awarded our school’s county athletic female scholar award. It’s a big deal, fancy dinner, but it’s the same night as senior night for track, and NHS inductions, and she’s the president and has to give a speech. The coach is going to talk to the AD to see if she can miss the dinner (it will save $100 for DH and I not to attend). I don’t know how it will play out (I actually hope he says okay, as it’s her last senior night).

Colleen27--so sorry about your FIL. And while I know this would be a sad occasion no matter what, I especially feel for your daughter and the impact it will have as she faces both the challenges and the happy events that the end of Senior Year brings.

I haven't had much time for Dis'ing lately due to a work situation, but I am thrilled for all of your kids' college choices! And all the roommate, dorm choices, etc. that follow--so exciting!!

I have been wanting to update, but she was still visiting and I knew there would be no college choice made till close to May 1st decision day. We just got home from Stanford's Admit Weekend. WOW! I was so impressed. I tried to remind myself that they were "putting on a show" for the entice the kids, but there was just such a creative energy, exchange of ideas, and true love of learning. We had a great time. As part of the program, prospective students and parents could attend a number of "Masterclasses" taught by Stanford professors. I was so blown away by the classes that I attended--I told my kiddo that I want to go back to school and take classes from those professors. LOL However, I think the hard part as a prospective student at Stanford would be looking around and saying "ummm...how did the pick me--that student wrote two physics textbooks before he was 15--yikes!!!" Also, they use abbreviations for everything--HoCo, RoCo, ProFro, FroSoHo, and on and on. I could not keep it straight.

That was her last admitted student's event--went to Rice , Vanderbilt, Princeton, Cornell (including getting stranded on the way in the Chicago airport due to a storm cancelling all flights out to Syracuse ☹️), and Stanford. She also attended scholarship competition weekends at UTAustin and SMU in March before she knew she got in to Rice, Cornell, Princeton and Stanford. She really liked all of them, which made the decision even harder! It has been a long journey for her, but in the end, she has been blessed with some great schools to choose between. In the end, it has come down to Rice (her "first love" school), Stanford, and Princeton. She hasn't pushed the button yet, but I think she has made her mind up. So...I'll be back in a day or two to update.

We put down the deposit on UDel, the campus is beautiful with lots of amenities, so much to do, the campus butts up to a Main Street with tons of shops, restaurants and bars. The honors program gives her access to nice dorms, first pick at classes, smaller classes, and more interaction with professors. We stayed overnight before decision day, and she went to a party with a dance friend and didn’t get back to the hotel until 2:30 (which actually happens at home so no surprise). I think it will be a good fit. She just found out she got the local Italian American scholarship for $1250 (and a breakfast at a country club fir us), she applied for 40 local scholarships, but has received 2 of the biggest.it feels good to have the decision finally made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter