Parents of the Class of 2019

Yesterday, I dragged DS to an event hosted by a fairly local news station for the valedictorians of all of the schools in the viewing area. He didn't want to go, but he did, and I'm glad he went.

Final scholarship application submitted this evening--I thought he was done, but we came across another local one last week.

18 pics submitted for the graduation slideshow.

Printed the pics for and started on the tri-fold photo board for his party and graduation table. I need to go buy another board, this one is full and I haven't put any soccer pics on yet.

3 more weeks of classes for the seniors and then 2 days of senior exams. DS is working hard not to have to take any exams, but it could go either way in 2 of his classes.

It is coming fast!

Did anyone else's DD or DS wait until May 1st to pull the acceptance and deposit trigger?? As of 1:30am, DD hit the accept button. She's going to STANFORD!!!!!!!!!!!

*we are not night owls and are normally not up this late, but I was at work until 1:00am finishing up a project before I go on medical leave tomorrow and she was waiting up when I got home because she wanted to do it together. I thought it was kind of sweet.

It was so hard for her to turn down Rice--the first university she fell in love with. But all the declines are done too now. Whew, what a looong journey this college application and decision process has been.

Congrats to all the parents---we made it!!!

Nope, my DD did not wait until today. It is nice to know where she will be in the Fall. I am still having a hard time with it. LOL But exciting times. Focus for us, is now on the prom. We do prom late, for some reason.

Congrats to your DD going to Stanford, MerissaAndMomL.

Yep, almost a month from now, I will not longer have a kid in primary education. Time does fly.

Great to hear of all the kids' choices, and graduation plans.

Nope, my DD did not wait until today. It is nice to know where she will be in the Fall. I am still having a hard time with it. LOL But exciting times. Focus for us, is now on the prom. We do prom late, for some reason.

Congrats to your DD going to Stanford, MerissaAndMomL.

Yep, almost a month from now, I will not longer have a kid in primary education. Time does fly.

Great to hear of all the kids' choices, and graduation plans.
Dd went with a friend to a prep school prom, hers isn’t until the second week in June.

Yesterday, I dragged DS to an event hosted by a fairly local news station for the valedictorians of all of the schools in the viewing area. He didn't want to go, but he did, and I'm glad he went.

Final scholarship application submitted this evening--I thought he was done, but we came across another local one last week.

18 pics submitted for the graduation slideshow.

Printed the pics for and started on the tri-fold photo board for his party and graduation table. I need to go buy another board, this one is full and I haven't put any soccer pics on yet.

3 more weeks of classes for the seniors and then 2 days of senior exams. DS is working hard not to have to take any exams, but it could go either way in 2 of his classes.

It is coming fast!
Does he go to private school? Dd’s bff does, and gets excused from exams if she has over an 86 average. Dd has finals in AP classes after taking the AP exams, there are no exemptions from finals.

I can't believe it's May guys. 29 days until graduation. Next week he starts getting signed off by all his teachers and gets his cap and gown. Friday is the deadline to hand in all the college acceptances/scholarship offers and high test scores for the graduation program and the seniors are supposed to dress to reflect what they're doing next year (I bought him a UMd t shirt right after he decided). He found out he got the theme "Arts and Activism" for his living and learning community. Not sure what that means, exactly, but we'll find out. Everything is in full swing and I'm starting to get emotional again. For awhile I was ok. Sigh.

My son decided on Miami of Ohio at the beginning of April, so we've had a chance to live with it for a while, and I am really excited for him. Less excited that he will be "so far" away (but it's not far compared to many of your sons and daughters, so I'll shut up now!)

He has 2 AP tests next week (the two that he expects to be the hardest for him).
Senior awards ceremony will be 5/7.
"Senior finals" are on Tuesday, 5/14 and I think most seniors are done after that except for mandatory graduation practice on 5/17. (I think he only has 1 or 2 finals. Classes with AP exams don't include a final. And his calculus teacher (not an AP) told them that if they have an A average after the last unit test, which is this week, they won't have to take the final. DS has a solid A, so he's not expecting to have to take it.)
However, my son will have 2 more AP exams that week -- on the 15th and 16th (days off for most). He doesn't expect those to be too difficult though, and he'll only have to go for half days.
There is an optional senior picnic on the 15th, which he'd be late to due to the AP English Language exam. I think most of his friends are also in AP Lang, so I'm not sure if they'll all go to the picnic after the test, or if they'll do something on their own.
A senior breakfast and mandatory grad practice on 5/17, then graduation on the 19th! Aaack!

Last night was the last regular track meet of the season and senior night. We were originally predicted to have great weather for it, but the forecast changed at the last minute. It ended up being in the low 50s, misty, with a brisk wind. Brrr. But it was still nice. DS got a PR in the 800m and tied his PR for the 1600m, so it was a nice way to end the year. (He says he's not too sorry for track season to end. It was always more of a "way to stay in shape for cross country season" than anything else and there will be no cross country season next year... although he is planning to join the non-competitive running club at his university.)

Last edited:
We had senior night for soccer last night. It was in the 40s, ranged from misty to steady rain, but fortunately wasn't very windy. DD had wanted friends to come, and a few hardy souls did. Our soccer games are mainly only attended by parents. We didn't win but DD played well.

Photo boards are done- she wanted to wait for her graphic designer sister to come help but actually DD20 did very little. DD17 arranged pictures and I was the glue dot applicator. We did two tri-folds and it turns out I had very few actual high school age photos printed. I guess it's more interesting to see the little kid ones anyway. We left some photo sets to be displayed in another fashion- first days of school, drama performances, and a selection of DD sleeping! We ordered lots more prints that didn't fit and we'll scatter those around the tables for people to peruse if they want. I've started to purchase food for the reception and my sister is getting me into Sam's Club on Sunday.

We have a vacation planned second week of June and I can hardly even think about that. After graduation I'll try!

Does he go to private school? Dd’s bff does, and gets excused from exams if she has over an 86 average. Dd has finals in AP classes after taking the AP exams, there are no exemptions from finals.

He does. They have to have all A's for the year in the class to be exempt.

My DS is hoping to be exempt from most of his finals as well. They have to have an A average for the term and no more than two absences. 1/2-year electives are never exempt, though.

And he got the letter yesterday - he got the Lodge Scholarship!! :) We find out at the awards ceremony Friday how much (it varies depending on how their fundraiser goes) but estimating by what my niece got a few years ago, it should be really helpful!

My DS is hoping to be exempt from most of his finals as well. They have to have an A average for the term and no more than two absences. 1/2-year electives are never exempt, though.

And he got the letter yesterday - he got the Lodge Scholarship!! :) We find out at the awards ceremony Friday how much (it varies depending on how their fundraiser goes) but estimating by what my niece got a few years ago, it should be really helpful!
Congrats to your DS! :cheer2:

He does. They have to have all A's for the year in the class to be exempt.
My DD would be thrilled for that. They actually have a deal where they can skip finals if they meet the criteria. But it doesn't apply to honors, AP or dual credit classes. So pretty much nothing that matters.

Imagine my shock and amazement when my son came to me and said that he is actually going to Prom. o_O:D He's going stag, so I assume his group of friends finally talked him into going - I think there's only one or two actual couples in the group, so the rest of them are probably also buying individual tickets and going as one big group. Today was the last day to buy a ticket - Prom is next Friday.

As far as senior finals go at his school - they are the week of May 20th and in many cases, while there technically is a final, in many classes (especially the AP ones), the teachers make them ridiculously easy so they can say they gave a final, but in the grade scheme of things, they know it doesn't matter.

They have the last week of May completely off - except for baccalaureate mass on May 29th and graduation being May 31st. :)

Congrats! This is such an exciting time seeing the scholarships roll in.

Earlier this spring, DD did mock interviews at school and one place really liked her and needed summer help and gave her an application. She turned that in a couple weeks later (to the front desk, not the lady who interviewed her) and put down a start date of 5/20. It's not a place that would get lots of applications- not one of the big teen employers- and she has experience so she figures she'll get it. But she hasn't heard from them. They may not be concerned yet since it's a while before she can start, but it is getting closer and she needs to know if she needs to look elsewhere. I'm wondering if she should contact them and ask if they received her app?

Bj, I would have her contact them, saying she applied and was excited about working there, and was wondering if there was anything else she needed to do.

I hope she gets a yes or no soon, so know where she is working this summer.

Good thing for me, my DD is once again working at a summer camp.

Thanks, I like your wording and will suggest that.

Funny thing is, right after I posted that, I got another job lead for her. (I think she can do both if they both work out.) She volunteered for the Chamber of Commerce last fall and still does social media for them. She had wished she could work for pay this summer but we figured it wasn't in the city budget. I was in there on an errand this morning and chatted with the director and it came up she just got approval for paid part time help for summer. I told her DD was interested and then texted DD to get a hold of her soon. This is one of her possible career paths so I'm excited and hoping she's a shoo-in with her foot well in the door already.

The other job is housekeeping at the local historic boutique hotel which has a lot of community involvement and she's interested in the travel industry. She has a lot of cleaning experience from working at summer camp last summer and cleaning my office building for 1.5 years, so she should be a good fit for that too.

She could go back to work at summer camp this year, but decided she'd like to be home for her "last kid summer".

Tonight after soccer we will have a talk about following up on both of these.

That would be awesome! Dd would be thrilled to skip finals, especially the AP ones she has to take a month after AP exams.

My DD would be thrilled for that. They actually have a deal where they can skip finals if they meet the criteria. But it doesn't apply to honors, AP or dual credit classes. So pretty much nothing that matters.

That would have been great--several (3 or 4?) classes had finals for DD-her last day was Tuesday. Then "senior signing day" was yesterday and senior picnic was today. Tomorrow IB tests begin for the next 3 weeks. DD has one AP test Monday, then IB tests Weds and Thursday next week. The two weeks following, she has IB tests Mon/Tue/Thurs/Fri, including Friday of graduation practice and convocation. It's crazy, really. She has study sessions that are mandatory as well so she's in and out for the next 3 weeks and already stressed. I keep trying to remind her that she's been accepted to college and that her college really doesn't care about her IB tests (unless she absolutely does super well on all of them, there's no advantage to IB classes v AP classes for credit). At this point it's pride, I suppose.

She has to wear a white dress for graduation and refuses to go shopping for something she'll never wear again so my mother just ordered one and is sending it-DD is much more reasonable with my mom than with me! I haven't even begun to debate what she'll wear to convocation. She wore her go-to black dress already for the county academic award ceremony so it will have to be something else. I'm really ready for all of this to be over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter