Parents of the Class of 2019

Aw... I am so sorry @PollyannaMom . I'm picking my son up tomorrow and he's definitely having mixed feelings (and honestly, I think they're only "mixed" because he doesn't want to hurt my feelings by saying he's not ready to come home. He says "I'm looking forward to seeing you guys, but...." Thankfully, no girlfriend in the mix (at least, not that I've heard of) but most of his friend group is from out of state, so he's not sure when he'll see them again. :( Hopefully classes will resume after Easter (the current plan), but we'll see...

My son's school is holding classes online as a test today. No word yet if they will move that way completely yet and I'm not sure what that would mean for his chemistry and physics labs and the research lab he works in. He made the financial decision to attend our local university and live at home, so that is not a concern. Spring break is another week out for him. I'm just hoping this starts to turn around so I don't need to postpone his already postponed graduation trip another year.

DD's boyfriend is from here (still in HS) but it's not much of a consolation for having to stay home at least another week because he's still 28 miles away and always so busy with school/work/ECs/family. So she'd rather be at college with her friends and see him occasionally than sit home and still only see him occasionally. Supposed to go out tonight though, finally!

I'm glad her school hasn't already made the call to go online all the rest of the semester, still holding out hope they can return for part of it.

My son's university has just "called it." The rest of the semester will be online and they want them out of the dorms by 3/27. We're going to go down and pick him up tomorrow. I talked to him on the phone. It's been a long time since I've heard him sound so sad. He's not ready for it to be over.

My son's university has just "called it." The rest of the semester will be online and they want them out of the dorms by 3/27. We're going to go down and pick him up tomorrow. I talked to him on the phone. It's been a long time since I've heard him sound so sad. He's not ready for it to be over.

Our son's school has not told anyone they have to leave the dorms (or, in our case, go get his stuff), but they have now said that students do not have to return to school this semester. That somehow, all remaining work for the semester will be able to be done online. Still not sure how that works in the case of one or two of his classes, but we'll see.

So Dd and her boyfriend drove 2 hours here just to learn they need to get all of their stuff out by next week. He’s going to stay here tonight, and they will drive back down tomorrow with the minivan. His parents will meet them their with their vehicle, and then they’ll drive here and her boyfriend will drive himself home. She’s crying, all of her friends are crying, dd17 and ds17 will now online school - I’m crying!!!!

Well my Dd was supposed to come home by train tomorrow but called me crying that she didn’t feel comfortable riding the Long Island railroad to penn station then Amtrak home cause of being exposed to so many people.
So I have decided to go pick her up an bring back as much stuff as I can. The college hasn’t said they can’t come back from spring break yet but I figured I would get a jump on it if they do. It also didn’t help Dd anxiety about the situation since her boyfriend went home today.

Well my Dd was supposed to come home by train tomorrow but called me crying that she didn’t feel comfortable riding the Long Island railroad to penn station then Amtrak home cause of being exposed to so many people.
So I have decided to go pick her up an bring back as much stuff as I can. The college hasn’t said they can’t come back from spring break yet but I figured I would get a jump on it if they do. It also didn’t help Dd anxiety about the situation since her boyfriend went home today.
Such a scary time. My DD has to head back tomorrow for the one work shift she didn't get covered. She's not staying overnight though. Just working her shift and heading home (unless someone picks up the shift. I'm just glad people picked up the rest of her shifts).

I'm just happy (knock on wood) that so far she's staying healthy. For anyone who didn't read the other thread, I drove out to pick her up spur of the moment Wednesday night when her roommate was diagnosed with the flu and pneumonia and decided to stay (in spite of classes also being suspended for now).

And this evening final word that the rest of the semester will be online. Not sure how that will work for DD. Dorms remain open so she still has a job. She wants to come on back for the rest of the year but she also wants to keep the job next year. I guess she'll has a lot to figure out. Still not sure what I think about all of it.

DH is driving down to get DS today. Classes are online for now and the students have to be out of the dorms by tomorrow (at first they were given a choice to stay or go, but now everyone has to go). School said they will assess the situation in early April to decide if in person classes will resume and the dorms will reopen, or if it'll be online at home for the rest of the semester. DS is packing up all of his stuff, but is so sad about it.

My DD20 was doing a semester in Dublin and was supposed to be there until May 3. Her program was cancelled Thursday and she's flying home tomorrow. She is devastated. She was having the time of her life in Ireland. The part that's hardest for her is that the cancellation was so abrupt. One minute they're told classes would be online but they can stay, and the next minute they're told they have 3 days to pack up and leave the country.

But I really feel for the high school and college seniors who are missing the best part of senior year and possibly graduation. So sad.

:hug: @mom2rtk. The worry is sometimes the hardest part of being a parent. I hope she continues to stay healthy and gets everything figured out.

And :grouphug: to everyone's disappointed kids! As adults, we've all been through trying times, and have the perspective looking back of it being a short period in our lives. But it really does seem longer to them.

My sons school made the decision yesterday to finish the semester online. He is bummed. He understands why but it stinks that the year is ending this way. He just got home last night for break. We will hear next week when we can go clear out his room.

On a sadder note, we found out yesterday that a fellow 2019 graduate from his high school was killed in a boating accident in Florida while on spring break. It puts all the inconveniences in perspective.

soccerdad72, this was a close friend of the Vasiliauskas family.

Has anyone else found themselves thinking how lucky we are that our kids were class of 2019, not 2020? My niece is a senior this year and this is so hard for her! She's an athlete but spring sports look like they're going to be cancelled completely, senior class trip is off, and they're trying to decide when to make the decision about prom and graduation to balance not cancelling prematurely and potentially unnecessarily with giving parents and students time to adjust their plans.

DD is back in SF and is supposed to be touching base with our aunt about a plan to move her stuff out if she ends up needing to do so on short notice. She was already planning to store the bigger dorm stuff at their house for the summer and flying home with just her clothes, so it is only a matter of figuring out the best way to get things done on short notice if necessary. Right now, though, the university says there are no plans to close campus and that they'll "reevaluate" after the two-week, post-spring break online period, and I'm glad that it seems like cooler heads are at least somewhat prevailing rather than making decisions for the rest of the semester right now.

So, who needs a "people are good" story??

Remember back in September when DS lost his wallet and it was returned? Well, it happened again! (I know, we've got to work on this pattern. :rolleyes1)

But anyway, he thought he lost it in a Wendy's but couldn't find it and assumed someone had walked off with it. Before he could even get anything cancelled, DH got a call from the police department one town over. Apparently, he had dropped it in the parking lot getting back into the car, and someone turned it right in! (He had an emergency contact card in it with DH's number.)

Score one for the golden rule!!

Has anyone else found themselves thinking how lucky we are that our kids were class of 2019, not 2020? My niece is a senior this year and this is so hard for her! She's an athlete but spring sports look like they're going to be cancelled completely, senior class trip is off, and they're trying to decide when to make the decision about prom and graduation to balance not cancelling prematurely and potentially unnecessarily with giving parents and students time to adjust their plans.

DD is back in SF and is supposed to be touching base with our aunt about a plan to move her stuff out if she ends up needing to do so on short notice. She was already planning to store the bigger dorm stuff at their house for the summer and flying home with just her clothes, so it is only a matter of figuring out the best way to get things done on short notice if necessary. Right now, though, the university says there are no plans to close campus and that they'll "reevaluate" after the two-week, post-spring break online period, and I'm glad that it seems like cooler heads are at least somewhat prevailing rather than making decisions for the rest of the semester right now.
Yes! I've said that to myself many times in recent days. So happy they got to have their graduations, proms and final sports seasons as planned without all this uncertainty.

DD has an offer to stay for the rest of the school year (even though classes are online) because they still need desk attendants. A bump in pay and housing compensation. So a good deal. She's thinking about staying. I have such mixed feelings about all of it.

For those that are home but their stuff is still on campus, be prepared to drive and get it.

Check with your school first -- DS's is telling kids who already left *not* to come back. They'll make arrangements at a later date to retrieve their stuff.

Check with your school first -- DS's is telling kids who already left *not* to come back. They'll make arrangements at a later date to retrieve their stuff.
Our schools are giving out frequent information, I’m sure they all are. Kids who didn’t register to be able to stay over break have to make appointments to get their stuff, dd left for break but signed up to stay for break do she coukd come back early if she wanted.

And this evening final word that the rest of the semester will be online. Not sure how that will work for DD. Dorms remain open so she still has a job. She wants to come on back for the rest of the year but she also wants to keep the job next year. I guess she'll has a lot to figure out. Still not sure what I think about all of it.
Dd has a campus job too an was told if she can’t work the rest of semester that she can resign but would still have a job next school year so that was some comfort. Hope yours can be offered something similar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter