Parents of the Class of 2019

U of I sent out email today the rest of spring 2020 year will be online.

They are going to send out email tomorrow to set up schedules to come clean out the students rooms. They are asking limiting it to two people to come to clean up the rooms.

DD gets home from UMASS tonight. Her spring break was last week, we were gone on an 80s cruise but met her in Florida for a day before we got on the ship, she hung out with DH's parents for a few days, got word that things might be hinky and they were going to on-line classes for a few days so flew back to Lowell to be in the dorms and have her books and stuff. Then got word that they're on-line for the rest of the semester. Thankfully her suitemate is local, so her family took DD in and they drove together to get their stuff out of the dorm room early (DD petitioned to get early access as she wasn't a local student, it was granted so her friend could get in as well to clear out her stuff.

UHaul was offering 1 month's free storage for college students, so she put all of her stuff except clothes and the things she really needs into storage for next year. She's really bummed, the labs will be video demonstrations of the concepts, but not anything she can do at home (they aren't going to encourage students to grab a frog from the backyard to kill and dissect, and she's perfectly OK with not having to do it for real!).

We're now waiting to hear on what they're going to do to refund the room and board that was paid for the full semester but only used for the half of a semester.

On a sadder note, we found out yesterday that a fellow 2019 graduate from his high school was killed in a boating accident in Florida while on spring break. It puts all the inconveniences in perspective.

soccerdad72, this was a close friend of the Vasiliauskas family.

I saw Sue's post a day or so ago - I didn't know how it had happened. How tragic. :( :( :(

@KristiMc sorry to hear about the loss of a classmate. We went through that in August and it was very hard for DD.

Last night we worked on DD's next year schedule and she just got done Zooming with her advisor and it all works. Her May class/trip to Colorado might not happen, of course, but that's okay. Just hoping she gets to be on campus this fall!

It's looking like she is on track to finish early so now that's her goal. She has to have an internship as her last thing, so finishing early may just mean she does internship spring semester of senior year instead of the summer after.

Tomorrow she plans to go to campus and get her books for online starting Monday. Not emptying her room yet as they haven't made that pronouncement.

We're heading up to school Saturday to empty out the dorm. They want everyone vacated by April 5th if possible. Online classes start Monday - he had a couple books that one professor asked them to get, so we got an Amazon order put together. Info from professors about how their content is going to be provided is trickling in now.

First confirmed case in DS's college town announced today. It is not a student or faculty member, but it's a very small town where most people's business is focused (even if indirectly) on supporting the university. DS has been home since Saturday, but there's no telling whether he was exposed prior to that. I hope not.

DD got home last night and was online for a class this morning. She said she was a bit disappointed because this semester she was glad to not have any early classes, then she came home and we're 2 hours behind Boston (mountain vs. eastern time) and she's got an early class again!

She moved out, so just needs to send her keys back. Hopefully she can go back out next fall.

Yep, mine was kicked out of the dorms by this past Saturday. Funny, as she had Spring Break the first week in March, and we went to NYC for three days. Took her back that Sunday, then she had a week back and was told to be out that Saturday. I took Friday off, and two SUVs with their seats down, and she signed out if the dorm on Friday night. For this week, she has been doing online classes. While she is happily home, she misses dorm life.

Next year, her and her roommate are renting an apartment at the edge of the campus. Cheaper than the dorms, and I think a cheaper meal plan, as the apartment has a full kitchen, and picky eater was not fond of what her meal credits bought in the cafeteria. At least she can cook and make foods she will eat. Between her food shopping near the school, and online ordering, it still should be cheaper than the meal plan.

Things are still evolving at Mizzou. Initially they were going to allow students to stay if they wanted, which I thought was a terrible idea. I'm guessing the reason they were going that route is that they didn't want to rebate any money. Now they finally sent out notice today that they are refunding 45% of the semester housing and crediting dining credits for future use. And you have to have extenuating circumstances to stay. Dining halls will have carry out only. They have to move out by April 3rd to get their rebates.

DD actually is still considering returning to her job as a desk attendant for a full housing credit rebate for the semester, and a bump in hourly pay. She's still not sure yet. I won't be surprised to find out they cut way back on the number of desk attendants and don't need her. I hope she decides to pass on the deal, but it's very tempting to her since she'll likely be unemployed all summer.

Next year, her and her roommate are renting an apartment at the edge of the campus. Cheaper than the dorms, and I think a cheaper meal plan, as the apartment has a full kitchen, and picky eater was not fond of what her meal credits bought in the cafeteria. At least she can cook and make foods she will eat. Between her food shopping near the school, and online ordering, it still should be cheaper than the meal plan.

I've calculated that DD will save about $4000/year moving off campus next year, even having to pay for a 12 month lease. She is so ready to cook for herself (picky and tired of Union food). We'll get a very small meal plan. Her grocery expense shouldn't be very much.

So yesterday the hammer dropped for DD and her school made the call to make online go for the rest of the semester. Have to move her out by the 29th. She is SO sad and to top it off her BF isn't allowed to see her for now so she doesn't get that benefit of being home, yet. It would really do her good to see him so I would have let them, but anyway. She totally thrives on seeing people and going places so this is very rough. The weather isn't even good for going outside. I've promised her some biking and state parks when it's nice enough.

Yesterday, though, she ALSO got her dream summer job as a Naturalist Intern so there's that to look forward to and she can maybe start early now. But we have to hope that they will be able to function this summer- lots of kids camps and public events. I don't know if they would completely drop her though, her supervisor did a livestream yesterday and she could maybe work on stuff like that. It's AmeriCorps so I don't know how the living stipend will be paid if her time is cut.

The weather is not cooperating for move out. Today Rain, possible hail and tornado warnings. But I made a dash for DS stuff.

A town north of me, is in now shelter in place.

In the dorm, only saw a few people while moving out. Still Had to wait for elevator.
We threw DS fridge and wall pictures in DD room. DS and I took all the stuff off DD walls and boxed up most of her room.
DH could not go today with truck, we will either get DD stuff Saturday AM or tomorrow.

RIT sent out a message from the Provost yesterday that was interesting. Basically, all students are given the option to switch any of their courses to pass/fail and once grades are completed, they're given the option to then revert back to the grade, essentially giving all the students the opportunity to not harm their GPA this semester. I thought that was a pretty cool gesture on their part.

Dd college has gone to online for the rest of the semester an I have to move her out this weekend. She is so sad she really enjoyed college an working on campus. The college has said they will be refunding some our money but not sure how much an they are also going to decide about the meal plan an how to credit that. It’s a sad end to freshman year

Just back from Mizzou where we moved DD home for the duration. She had thought about staying for her desk job, but over time just decided it wasn't worth it. They were told their decisions on whether to stay won't impact their jobs in the fall. I'm glad she's home, but what a wave of mixed up emotions.

2 University employees were diagnosed this week, so all other buildings are closed for thorough cleaning.

I'm glad we got her today. We came back to word that the KC metro area will be on lockdown starting Tuesday.

I'm glad we got her today. We came back to word that the KC metro area will be on lockdown starting Tuesday.

Is that where you live? We move DD out of NWMSU tomorrow. Lots of students from KC there. She will be moving out the same time as her best friend so she can see him once more.

What's keeping her going is looking forward to her internship which could start in a couple of weeks.

Is that where you live? We move DD out of NWMSU tomorrow. Lots of students from KC there. She will be moving out the same time as her best friend so she can see him once more.

What's keeping her going is looking forward to her internship which could start in a couple of weeks.
Yes, that's where we live. It came as a complete shock because our numbers weren't that high. And pretty much no other similar sized city had done a stay at home order yet. I completely understand wanting to be out in front of it, but people are only going to put up with it for so long. It can be detrimental to play that card too late, but it can also be detrimental to play it too soon. It's wreaking havoc for us in so many ways.

But I'm glad DD is home. I let her make her own decisions with all of it, but tried to make sure she had all the information. And thankfully she decided she should be home.

I wondered if your DD was somewhere around here. I'm not shocked she's around lots of KC kids.

Congrats to her on the internship! She's so fortunate to have something positive to look forward to.

Is it a work at home internship? We are on lockdown and hospitals are overwhelmed, predictions are for months of this.

Is it a work at home internship? We are on lockdown and hospitals are overwhelmed, predictions are for months of this.

There could be some remote at first. They are currently working behind closed doors. Otherwise at an office or outdoors with one or two people but eventually it will include public events so of course we don’t know how it will play out. Hoping for the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter