Parents of the Class of 2019

Decisions were released for one of DS's top choices on their portal at midnight. DS was accepted, and was directly admitted to their business school.

Miami OH, I assume? :thumbsup2

My son was still up that night, so we looked around 12:15 - he also got admitted, directly into the engineering school. :)

All his top 3 are now in - he is expecting to hear about Case Western today, but he's more just curious if he'll get in there, not planning necessarily on going there anyways. We hope to have his decision by the end of this week. :)

Miami OH, I assume? :thumbsup2

My son was still up that night, so we looked around 12:15 - he also got admitted, directly into the engineering school. :)

All his top 3 are now in - he is expecting to hear about Case Western today, but he's more just curious if he'll get in there, not planning necessarily on going there anyways. We hope to have his decision by the end of this week. :)

Yep! Miami OH is in his top 2 along with Ohio State main campus (also accepted directly into business school). Still waiting to hear from Cincinnati, which I think you mentioned that your son was also interested in. My son is really conflicted about which of his top 2 would be the best fit for him. They are very different but each has it's benefits and drawbacks. Hoping to get some merit award offers to see if price plays a role in the decision. I'm not sure when those will come. I think he's also hoping to revisit each campus. (I know that Miami has some special events for accepted students. Not sure about OSU.)

Cincy has dropped off his list, although he did apply EA there as well. He spent a week there this summer for an engineering camp and he just didn't like the campus - too much concrete for his tastes, he said. UC's acceptances, I think, don't come out until mid-January, since their deadline was Dec. 1st instead of Nov. 1st.

Cincy has dropped off his list, although he did apply EA there as well. He spent a week there this summer for an engineering camp and he just didn't like the campus - too much concrete for his tastes, he said. UC's acceptances, I think, don't come out until mid-January, since their deadline was Dec. 1st instead of Nov. 1st.

I think we'd need to make another trip back there, too. It was our very first college visit. DS really liked it then and still thinks of it fondly in his memory, but it might be different if we go back now that he's seen some other places. He is intrigued by their co-op program though. And I think you're correct on the decisions. DS got an e-mail from his admission counselor telling him to check the portal after 5pm on 1/18.

Well, 3 of 4 have said yes so far. Waiting for number 4 to respond, but I think DD has already made up mind not going to that not responding one anyway. Now between a state supported University or private one, as both would be a good fit.

I go back and forth with her. At least we can wait until the new year before committing. Funny, her I want to go to that one has now put it on the back burner, and most likely will not go there.

Hope all are enjoying the soon to be winter break.

DS's UNE acceptance came over the weekend, and with a little more scholarship money than we expected - which means he is really happy :hyper:, but also back to being torn. :confused3

Dean's offer is still bigger, and he'd be in the honors program there (smaller, less competitive school), but the majors are totally different (Animal Behavior @UNE or Marketing @Dean) and he just doesn't know what he wants to do.

Mom, of course, made a spreadsheet (tuition, room & board, driving distance...) :rotfl:

Besides the two front runners, he's in at UMass Dartmouth and Bridgewater State, and waiting to hear from UNH.

Got a thin letter from Muhlenberg (hasn’t head back), and it was from the xc/track coach saying they’d love to have her run for them, and to schedule an overnight. One of her bff’s is planning on playing so very there (already did the overnight).

Hello everyone. I just stumbled across this thread. I have an 18 year old daughter who will be graduating high school in May. She has been accepted into one college and is waiting to hear from 3 more. We live in Virginia.
:welcome:

It's a great place to share and vent with others about our kids during this crazy time!

Last night was DD's last Christmas concert. This is one I expect she'll be coming back to watch in future years. Every year at the end, alumni and anyone who wants are invited up to the stage to sing the Hallelujah Chorus with the choir. DD was super happy to have her 3-years-older soprano friend come up and sing next to her.

Georgetown interview went well, he thinks, and one more application is in, so the last one he has to submit is Georgetown. Still have not heard from any more schools, but that's fine. Now it's time for scholarship applications. I just saw on Twitter of all places, that the one for our county is open. More than 50 scholarships with one application. I have heard many of them are small, only $250 or so but hey, it helps, right?
Not sure how much more I will be on here before the new year, so happy holidays everyone!

:welcome:

It's a great place to share and vent with others about our kids during this crazy time!

Last night was DD's last Christmas concert. This is one I expect she'll be coming back to watch in future years. Every year at the end, alumni and anyone who wants are invited up to the stage to sing the Hallelujah Chorus with the choir. DD was super happy to have her 3-years-older soprano friend come up and sing next to her.
Dd’s was Tuesday at the HS, Friday at a church benefit concert (dd15 and ds15 too). They do the same thing with alumni, dd22 chose to study instead and ds20 was still at school.

DD’s ACT scores came back. Math & Science were down 2/1 respectively, but Reading & English were up 4/7 respectively. So, her composite improved 3 points & it puts her in a much better scholarship position as she was previously below the cutoff for several she’s seeking.

Earlier in the day, she took a call from Western CO bumping her scholarship from $8,000 to $15,000 annually and there’s a possibility of an additional $6,000 from the Spanish dept. Theyve been very accommodating in so many ways too. Just a shame it’s 900 miles from home & not so easy to get to. Otherwise, they would be running away with this.

On the flip side, she’s having to jump through all sorts of hoops to even get a visit scheduled at North Central. And Drury is dragging their feet a bit as well.

DD’s ACT scores came back. Math & Science were down 2/1 respectively, but Reading & English were up 4/7 respectively. So, her composite improved 3 points & it puts her in a much better scholarship position as she was previously below the cutoff for several she’s seeking.

Earlier in the day, she took a call from Western CO bumping her scholarship from $8,000 to $15,000 annually and there’s a possibility of an additional $6,000 from the Spanish dept. Theyve been very accommodating in so many ways too. Just a shame it’s 900 miles from home & not so easy to get to. Otherwise, they would be running away with this.

On the flip side, she’s having to jump through all sorts of hoops to even get a visit scheduled at North Central. And Drury is dragging their feet a bit as well.

Congrats on the scholarship increase! Sorry about the delays on the others.

Today I started the initial Sign up for housing, he got his college offer Friday, I didn't realize he did not accept the offer until Sunday. When the offer for rooming opened today the preferred room was already gone, ah well. I knew from DD the rooms went fast for that dorm. The school has you accept, then you need to wait a day, apply for housing, then you get an email you can apply for housing. Public university. Scholarships announced Feb.

He did receive an email today for the college 5.5 hours away he was a finalist for the chancellors and president scholarship which would give him more money off; as other posters said its not just the price, it's a fit for the student. Public university.

College 3: same distance from home: offered $14000 off each year and for this year $11000 grant so it would be reasonable but if the grant was not renewed that would be of course an increase. Private school.

DS' ACT composite went up 2 points, but I think he needed 3 for the next merit scholarship level. We are on Christmas break now, so he will be starting on applications for the endowment scholarships for the school he has chosen.

Case Western is irritating some folks - originally, they said admission notifications would go out last night at 8pm. Last night at 6pm, they sent an email saying they were delaying by a day. :headache:

Congrats on the score increase!

I think the ones that are out in the middle of nowhere do those things to entice you to put up with the travel hassles. We've come across some but ultimately decided not to put up with the travel since we have a reasonably good deal closer. Western CO looks cool, definitely not showing it to DD!

DD’s
Congrats on the score increase!

I think the ones that are out in the middle of nowhere do those things to entice you to put up with the travel hassles. We've come across some but ultimately decided not to put up with the travel since we have a reasonably good deal closer. Western CO looks cool, definitely not showing it to DD!

Yes, it’s not a particularly prestigious school, in an awkward place, and has a VERY high acceptance rate. I’m sure they’re trying their best to grow & some kids will be the beneficiaries :)

CWRU came back with a rejection last night - not terribly surprising, as it was a reach school for him. Sounds like most of his friends, many who had better test scores and GPAs, also got rejected, so oddly enough, he feels better about that.

Hoping to sit down this weekend and go over all the options and make his selection before Christmas. My money (literally) is still on RIT to be his choice, but it's hard getting any thoughts out of a 18 year old boy. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter