Parents of the Class of 2019

CWRU came back with a rejection last night - not terribly surprising, as it was a reach school for him. Sounds like most of his friends, many who had better test scores and GPAs, also got rejected, so oddly enough, he feels better about that.

Hoping to sit down this weekend and go over all the options and make his selection before Christmas. My money (literally) is still on RIT to be his choice, but it's hard getting any thoughts out of a 18 year old boy. :p

Yes, it is! I'm sorry about the rejection, I'm sure it is disappointing even if it was a reach.

...Sounds like most of his friends, many who had better test scores and GPAs, also got rejected, so oddly enough, he feels better about that.

Actually, it's perfectly logical, and he sounds like a pretty insightful kid. :thumbsup2 Our feelings tend to come from relative, rather than objective, data. - It's why we can make the exact same amount of money but feel "poor" if our neighbors make more and "rich" if they make less. (I have a pet theory that it's one of the reasons social media depresses people; someone always has, or is doing, something "better"...But that's a whole thread on it's own.)

...it's hard getting any thoughts out of a 18 year old boy. :p

So true!!

DD heard from 2 more of her safely schools and was accepted to both. One offered her a small scholarship, the other quite a bit more. We should find out her other 2 safely schools by mid Feb, as well as 2 target schools but it's nice to see acceptances and offers. Hopefully this will not preclude her from filling out her last 2 applications but if it does then that's on her. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season :santa:

Ugh. DS was born in Russia (but is a US citizen), so we had to register for Selective Service by mail. Apparently only guys who are born in the USA are able to register for Selective Service online. We got DS's selective service confirmation/card in the mail, so I know he's registered.

Last week, we got a letter from the financial aid office of one of his schools saying that they couldn't verify his Selective Service registration, and needed us to send proof of registration, which we did. Then, on Friday, my son got an e-mail from another school, same thing. Yesterday, I called the selective service administration (I know, I probably should've made DS do it, but he was at school) to try to figure out what was going on. The guy I spoke to was very nice. The problem ended up being a typo in their system from when someone had to manually type in what we sent through the mail. It's apparently fixed now, but I can see from our mail "informed delivery" that we're getting a letter from the financial aid office of another school today. I assume they also couldn't verify his selective service.

We have proof of registration, but... what a pain in the rear.

One of the schools was a lot easier to deal with than the other so far though. One sent a letter saying "Here's what counts as proof. Here's where you should send it." The other one sent him an e-mail telling him that there was something he needed to look at in the portal. The portal said he needed to send proof of registration (but not what counts) to the Financial Aid office, but did not give an address, or anything... so we had to look that up separately. DS said "if everything's going to be this hard over the next 4 years, maybe I don't want to deal with this!"

Congrats to all the accepted students! I'm jealous because DS's app are all RD so we are in for the long wait.

Soccer dad-sorry about CWRU but it sounds like he has some great options. We really liked RIT on the visit and it's one of DS's apps too.

Bjscheel-DS's last orchestra concert was a week ago. He also played the choir concert and DD18 was one of the alums, same song. I hate all these lasts!

Gumbo-congrats on the ACT increase, that's fantastic!

DS's letter today *wasn't* about Selective Service after all. It was his merit scholarship offer -- and it was higher than we anticipated! :)

Congrats on the merit scholarship!

Your selective service story reminds me that when I was 21 I received a hate mail from them for not registering.
It was annoying and irritating because 1) it had taken them 3 years? 2) I was inactive ready reserve in the Navy, having been sworn in 2 months prior so I was already in the Armed Forces 3) I was (and am) female. So I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with their idiocy. (I think I had to send a copy of my birth certificate stating I was female registered mail-ugh).

Question about registering for selective service: How does one know when and where to register? Do they send something in the mail?

Question about registering for selective service: How does one know when and where to register? Do they send something in the mail?
Ds20 got a letter stating he didn’t register, I have no idea how they know about this. One day someone in a military uniform showed up at my door asking about dd22 (her name is one letter from being a boys name). It was weird.

We’re looking at housing options now. Was a little surprised a hot plate isn’t permitted in the dorm room. In my day, that was pretty much all we WERE allowed.

We’re looking at housing options now. Was a little surprised a hot plate isn’t permitted in the dorm room. In my day, that was pretty much all we WERE allowed.

A lot of them now do permit microwaves, but in my day we didn't get hot plates, but could have an electric kettle, which mean I learned how to make mac-n-cheese in a coffee pot! I know for Alabama, they actually have minifridge/microwave combinations in their dorm rooms, don't even need to bring one!

A lot of them now do permit microwaves, but in my day we didn't get hot plates, but could have an electric kettle, which mean I learned how to make mac-n-cheese in a coffee pot! I know for Alabama, they actually have minifridge/microwave combinations in their dorm rooms, don't even need to bring one!

Yes, we can do microwave/fridge. But, I know DD gets her late night pasta cravings LOL

Hey all,
I have been a lurker on this thread for awhile so I apologize in advance if this has been asked Dd has been accepted to two schools both offering scholarships we have filled out the FAFSA and my question is when will we be told about the financial aid an what we qualify for to determine which school will offer the best package? Thanks for any insight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter