Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I'm sorry housing for next year isn't working out for some of you. My daughter got last choice this year and was really bummed but she's made it work well enough. I'm hoping for a better outcome for next year.

I think sophomore year pick is later this month.

We're a little down tonight. Housing for next year is on a random lottery system. It doesn't matter when you put your deposit in (as long as it was before the deadline). Dates and times for housing selection are randomly assigned. There is a newer sophomore-only dorm that has double-doubles (two bedrooms that share a bathroom and small communal space). There is one apartment complex that allows sophomores. You need a group of four to apply for either of those. My son has a group of four. Every single one of them was assigned last day for selection which is tomorrow. As of now, both the sophomore-only dorm and the apartments that allow sophomores are full. There are 28 triple rooms left in the regular, old dorms. (I think that's it. I think that the doubles are gone, too, but he wasn't completely clear on that.) One of the boys in his group lives close enough to commute, so he'll probably do that. The other three are hoping that all of the triples aren't gone before their times come up tomorrow. I know that it will be fine in the end no matter what happens, but he was really hoping for a different arrangement next year. So, we're taking a moment to express disappointment and frustration before getting on to making the best of it. :) I think that whichever boy has the earliest time tomorrow can secure the triple for all three of them. I don't know how early that time is, though. My son's is one of the very last.

That stinks- my daughter really really wants a apartment style dorm with a single bedroom- they come single, single, double- and found 3 other kids that it would work with, two want to share a room and the other wants the other single- but its a random lottery system and the BEST number of the group is 6800- my daughters was 8000+ so I don't think it will be a good choice for any of them. Sophomores must live on campus too so can't even look at off campus housing.

My DD had been slacking off on her sorority responsibilities but no more! She had a night out with her "Big Sister" and "Grand Big" (I think it was an intervention) and she is now back on track. They apparently give out "merit points" to attending certain things associated with the sorority. The merit points of the girls who want to room together are added up and are used to determine their placement on the list to pick their room location. She doesn't want to let her roommate down (even though she's not sure who it is) and she wants the BEST room of course. It's a challenge now so she's all in.

That stinks- my daughter really really wants a apartment style dorm with a single bedroom- they come single, single, double- and found 3 other kids that it would work with, two want to share a room and the other wants the other single- but its a random lottery system and the BEST number of the group is 6800- my daughters was 8000+ so I don't think it will be a good choice for any of them. Sophomores must live on campus too so can't even look at off campus housing.

It's rough when they have a plan and then the lottery just doesn't work. I thought that at least one of the four in his group would pull a number other than the last day. They did get a room today for three of them, and the fourth is going to commute from home. At least it's done for this year. Maybe for junior year he'll have a car and can look off-campus.

Ugh! Sorry to everyone having housing issues. Fortunately, DS is all set for next year. He will be in a 'suite' which is essentially 2 doubles connected by a living room area. The foursome will have their own bathroom. He had intended to stay with his current roommate, but there was a slight snafu. They are not together, but each was able to become part of another foursome. They are in the honors dorms so it's a smaller pool which is nice. Both freshman honors dorms are your standard doubles, but all suites and apartments for sophomores and up. Housing is guaranteed all 4 years which is nice. DS may choose an apartment senior year. The food is excellent, so even many people who live off campus buy a dining plan.

He'll be taking the Peter Pan bus home tomorrow for spring break. It will be nice to see him!

Ds needs to get going on his housing plans. He wants to move off campus and I'm not sure if roommates have been chosen yet.

Ds needs to get going on his housing plans. He wants to move off campus and I'm not sure if roommates have been chosen yet.

Even if we could get her a place off campus next year it is to late- January is when people started looking and signing leases for this coming Sept- its nuts!

Even if we could get her a place off campus next year it is to late- January is when people started looking and signing leases for this coming Sept- its nuts!

Can she get on a waiting list for off campus housing? Ds did that last year in March and got in within 2 weeks.

This year he signed lease for his apartment next year in February. He and our current freshman will share a 2 bedroom in the same complex.

Can she get on a waiting list for off campus housing? Ds did that last year in March and got in within 2 weeks.

This year he signed lease for his apartment next year in February. He and our current freshman will share a 2 bedroom in the same complex.

Sophomores have to stay on campus, can't move off until 3rd year so she is stuck.

Update -My DD didn't get another roommate so she has the room to herself which she is happy but I'm sure gets lonely. She's not really talking to her bath mates(they are the reason her old room mate left). Just one of the bath mates girls is rude and the other girl (the foloower)acts different when they are together. The follower is nice when the rude girl isn't around but DD said she's tired of trying to be nice and nolonger goes out of her way to say hi or go eat with them. I guess if rude girl wasn't around then the others would invite dd to eat but if rude girl was around they wouldn't. DD will say hi if they say hi but if they don't she doesn't. She finally started seeing their true colors. I'm glad she has found other friends to go eat with and she might room with one. The other group of girls don't party, drink or do other crazy stuff.

DD finds out next Friday if she gets RA position so we are in limbo about housing. We paid the housing deposit but they don't get to do the final pick until june (I think).
I just paid housing and meal plan and I only have one more housing and meal plan payment to pay and I'm done for freshman year. whohoo!!!!!!!!

At my kids' schools, students start arranging housing for the next year in OCTOBER!!! I remember being shocked when DS needed us to put down a deposit on an apartment for 2nd year when he'd only been in college for a couple of months. DD and her freshman roommate (who is also now a sorority sister and close friend) decided to try to get a unit in the closest apartment building to campus. It also happens to be one of the most economical places too, so it is a hot commodity. The complex does not do regular waiting lists. The kids literally have to line up at 5:00 on Friday night and sleep in the parking lot to get their names on the list. They were number 10 on the list and were very worried. When the complex made the phone calls 2 weeks later, the #9 kids didn't answer their phone, so DD's group got the last apartment. They intended to keep it for the next three years, but then sorority rush happened. DD wants to live in her sorority house junior year and was hoping her current roommie/sorority sister would want to also. The other 2 apartment mates are not in sororities. Her roommie said she didn't want to live in the sorority house, and if my DD did, then they'd replace her with another friend who would take over DD's apartment lease. DD said that would be fair, but she wanted to move back in for senior year. Her roommie said no - once you're out, you're out. DD is kind of bummed, but I told her not to worry about it NOW. A lot can change in 3 years!!!!

We're a little down tonight. Housing for next year is on a random lottery system. It doesn't matter when you put your deposit in (as long as it was before the deadline). Dates and times for housing selection are randomly assigned. There is a newer sophomore-only dorm that has double-doubles (two bedrooms that share a bathroom and small communal space). There is one apartment complex that allows sophomores. You need a group of four to apply for either of those. My son has a group of four. Every single one of them was assigned last day for selection which is tomorrow. As of now, both the sophomore-only dorm and the apartments that allow sophomores are full. There are 28 triple rooms left in the regular, old dorms. (I think that's it. I think that the doubles are gone, too, but he wasn't completely clear on that.) One of the boys in his group lives close enough to commute, so he'll probably do that. The other three are hoping that all of the triples aren't gone before their times come up tomorrow. I know that it will be fine in the end no matter what happens, but he was really hoping for a different arrangement next year. So, we're taking a moment to express disappointment and frustration before getting on to making the best of it. :) I think that whichever boy has the earliest time tomorrow can secure the triple for all three of them. I don't know how early that time is, though. My son's is one of the very last.
That is disappointing! Hope they get the triple!

My DD can stay in her current room. She's hoping a friend of hers who is an RA gets assigned to a suite dorm. It would be 2 double rooms sharing a bathroom & living area. The RA would have a single so it would just be 3 of them. I really hope it works out for her but she'd be ok staying in her current room too.

We drove up Friday to get her. She brought a commuter friend home with her. She was anxious to get home yesterday to her BFF from home who's going back to school today so she drove nearly 300 of the 360 miles. She's staying with my SIL (more room, better location) and has lots of things planned with the friend she brought home so I'm not sure how much we will see her.

Half of my DDs scholarship is tied to her living on campus so it would much more expensive to live off campus. Luckily I don't think she has any desire to live off campus.

My daughter has to stay on campus until senior year but can file an appeal to move off junior year.

She's hoping for a single next year or at least her own bedroom in a suite. I told her I'd be willing to sweeten the pot for the other girls so she can get her own room. She just gets anxious if she doesn't get time to herself. I get that because I'm the same way.

She'll actually have junior status after 1st semester next year since she entered with 19 credits. She'll have to see if that means she can move off campus.

That is disappointing! Hope they get the triple!

My DD can stay in her current room. She's hoping a friend of hers who is an RA gets assigned to a suite dorm. It would be 2 double rooms sharing a bathroom & living area. The RA would have a single so it would just be 3 of them. I really hope it works out for her but she'd be ok staying in her current room too.

We drove up Friday to get her. She brought a commuter friend home with her. She was anxious to get home yesterday to her BFF from home who's going back to school today so she drove nearly 300 of the 360 miles. She's staying with my SIL (more room, better location) and has lots of things planned with the friend she brought home so I'm not sure how much we will see her.

Thanks! They did get the triple. I do feel badly for the one that will now commute instead of living on-campus with them, but I guess he's fine with it. My older two went to a school that had very little housing for anyone except freshmen, so they were out looking off-campus by October of their freshmen years. Figuring out who you want to live with after only a month or so of school was strange. That was a shock to us then, and this is different for us now. My co-teacher's daughter is at Oswego, and she and her roommate are applying to stay in their room for next year.

I go pick him up for Spring Break on Friday. It will be great to have him home for a week, and he's looking forward to a week of not sharing a room all the time.

Went to Boston to see my daughter on Friday- spent the day with her and her boyfriend. Went to the aquarium and then to Fire & Ice for dinner. Brought grandma along with me so she could see my daughters dorm and meet the boyfriend. Grandma was horrified at the size of her dorm room LOL- its a double and its still half the size of her bedroom here she had all to herself LOL. Now wont see her until April 26th when school ends.

I picked my son up on Friday for Spring Break. He's home all week and doesn't seem to have too many plans. Right now he's fighting a cold with a bad sore throat, so I hope that he starts feeling better before his break is over. I love having him home! I predict this week will go very quickly.

My daughter went back yesterday. I feel like I barely saw her while she was home. We did spend Friday together so that was nice. We're going down to see her for part of Easter weekend so that will be nice. She's also coming home for the weekend in the middle of April and for almost a week in early May. Her school has a break between classes and exams so she'll come home to study. She can't deal with people getting really stressed about exams so having to live in an environment like that for a week won't help her do well.

Hope everyone is enjoying or has enjoyed time with your kids. I can't believe the year is almost over.

I got my daughter Friday afternoon. We spent the afternoon shopping. That was pretty much the end of it. She's been with her friends ever since. Glad she is having fun though! She is just getting over being sick for over two weeks while at school. I had a crazy idea that she would get some rest while home and get back to school refreshed. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter