Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Brought DS back yesterday. This was the first time I wasn’t sad about it and then that thought made me sad. Lol! Honestly, it wasn’t the best week. Don’t get me wrong, it was great to see him, but he was so bored. DH, DD and I had such busy weeks and the high school friends that he might have hung around with weren’t home. I told him that I thought he should travel next spring break, whether on a mission trip or for fun.
I can’t believe we are 3/4 of the way through freshman year!

Brought DS back yesterday. This was the first time I wasn’t sad about it and then that thought made me sad. Lol! Honestly, it wasn’t the best week.
I can’t believe we are 3/4 of the way through freshman year!

I thought I was the only one who felt that way.:rolleyes1 My DD brought a commuter friend home with her so she wasn't bored but she wasn't all that nice either.... She must have said 100 times how she doesn't live here any more and would never live in MA again and couldn't wait to get back to school.....

I'm glad she is adjusting well and has found a new "home" but enough already-you've said it-now time to think about how that makes everyone here feel when you say it over and over.

I got my daughter Friday afternoon. We spent the afternoon shopping. That was pretty much the end of it. She's been with her friends ever since. Glad she is having fun though! She is just getting over being sick for over two weeks while at school. I had a crazy idea that she would get some rest while home and get back to school refreshed. lol

OK she just woke up and seems to be sick again. Her cough never really left and now she has a low grade fever. Normally I wouldn't suggest she see a dr. but this is going on a long time now and I def. don't want her to be sick when she goes back to school. We have an urgent care close by that I might take her to. She is in the middle of starting with an "adult" dr. and so technically she doesn't have a doctor yet. She aged out of her ped. and we just haven't seen the new dr. yet. (couldn't get an appt. until May!).

I'm sorry that people are not having the best spring breaks with their kids :(. I think it's probably more common than all the FB posts about happy returning children lead us to believe.

OK she just woke up and seems to be sick again. Her cough never really left and now she has a low grade fever. Normally I wouldn't suggest she see a dr. but this is going on a long time now and I def. don't want her to be sick when she goes back to school. We have an urgent care close by that I might take her to. She is in the middle of starting with an "adult" dr. and so technically she doesn't have a doctor yet. She aged out of her ped. and we just haven't seen the new dr. yet. (couldn't get an appt. until May!).
I would take her in. I had the same thing happen to me (sick, better and then cough back and low grade fever) and I ended up with pneumonia.

DD's break was early (Presidents week in Feb), so none of her friends were home. She spent a few days with us and then spent a few days at Vassar visiting some friends.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way.:rolleyes1 My DD brought a commuter friend home with her so she wasn't bored but she wasn't all that nice either.... She must have said 100 times how she doesn't live here any more and would never live in MA again and couldn't wait to get back to school.....

I'm glad she is adjusting well and has found a new "home" but enough already-you've said it-now time to think about how that makes everyone here feel when you say it over and over.

My daughter says that too- "I miss Boston" "I can't wait to get back home"- meaning Boston.... I know she loves it there and her boyfriend and all her friends are there now and she is independent there so I do get it but yea, I don't want to HEAR it!

Housing pick was this week and she made out better than we thought, she did have to break away from 2 of her potential housing group of 4 and go in as just 2 and the got a economy (SMALL) 2 bedroom apartment with 2 single bedrooms, a bathroom and a kitchen but no living room. Not ideal but better than having to have a room mate in the room with you and a meal plan. If they don't have a kitchen in their room they must have a meal plan- so this year the dorm and meal plan were 15,500- next year because she doesn't need a meal plan the dorm will be 10,200 so that leaves her the rest for food and no way is she going to eat 5,300.00 in food in the 32 weeks she is there.

80D3E8A7-D70A-44F2-A463-311D786F118E.jpeg

Well, I had 12 whole hours before she left for her boyfriend’s cabin for the weekend as usual. Yippie!

Above are the poor dogs waiting to be let into her room while I become chopped liver.

Last edited:
My DD came home this past Saturday. She didn't get RA and she is ok with it. I told her when she applied if its meant to be she will get it and if not then not. I told her the free housing and meal plan would have been nice but it ok. I think she will be busy and able to explore more things next year like clubs, hanging out with friends, making new friends and just having fun. She will be in an apartment with 3 other girls. She already plans on rooming with a girl in the same program she is in. She also mentioned another girl that's in the same program. I guess the girl lives in the dorms but was planning on just commuting next year but want to live on campus. She doesn't want to live with 3 strangers so DD was going to see if she wants to room with her and her friends since they are all in the same program and have same personalities-no crazy party girls. I really hope they all room together. Hopefully they find a 4th girl. They have the same glasses but have 1-2 different one so that might be a good thing-lol!

Monday and Tuesday we had Dental and doctor appts. Today DD hung out with one or her good friends and she will hangout with another friend tomorrow.

DD went back yesterday. We hungout, did some shopping and took her out to dinner. I was so tired today that I stayed in bed all day. I had been sick and over it but still feel run down.Today I finally got to rest and felt like I was sweating in my sleep but now feel re energized.

I called DD today and she said she slept and ate that all she did all day-lol!

Hopefully I get to mail out her Easter package tomorrow.

I brought my daughter back yesterday. Well honestly I didn't see too much of her. I was glad she was with her friends but she only stayed home one night all week. She'd then sleep all day and then go out all night. lol. Anyway, she actually didn't seem too happy going back. I think she had too much fun while she was home. Right before spring break she decided to break up with her bf who is in the military. I have to say I was very very surprised! Not sure if she is coming home for Easter next weekend or not. She is going to see what others do at school and will let me know by Wednesday.

We dropped ds off yesterday. I've already received the "I hate my roommate" text this evening. It's probably nothing and just him venting, since there were no additional details. Overall, he could have a much worse roommate (and he knows it), but there are some things that the roommate does (like opening the window and turning on the fan when it's in the 30s outside) that drive him up the wall, and they don't seem to communicate well.

I wanted to share this as a PSA. A Facebook friend sent her son to Cabo for spring break. She shared with me that she was not comfortable with him going and I assured her he would be safe. Cabo had a couple bumps but really not a whole lot more dangerous than her home of NYC.

I was wrong.

Her son and a fraternity brother were rounded up and detained by local Cabo police who took all their money and their shoes and demanded more money still. A girl saw them being taken and went to a local bar to find help from an adult. She noted that they had Wisconsin tees on and mentioned that in her description. One of the men at the bar was luckily a Badger Dad (his DD a student there) and took 5 hours out of his vacation to negotiate a release of the boys at his own personal expense. My friend’s son won’t leave his hotel room now he is so scared that he will be detained again.

These kids did nothing wrong except to be young American tourists with relativity deep pockets.

If your kids are considering Cabo for spring break next year, I recommend that they steer clear. If you can’t trust law enforcement in a community you can’t trust anyone.

Robinb: so scary! Thx for posting.

My (young) freshman niece wanted to go with her friends/Mexico , mom said no way, flew her down here to Grab some sun before returning back to school.

My ds off to law school in fall.
My dh keeps reminding me ...( each time I moan about his bathroom or make an Xtra or special meal)
, I’ll be weepy when he goes off...
Yup, not sure it’s gonna be any easier for law school, for me, than it was for undergrad lol

I wanted to share this as a PSA. A Facebook friend sent her son to Cabo for spring break. She shared with me that she was not comfortable with him going and I assured her he would be safe. Cabo had a couple bumps but really not a whole lot more dangerous than her home of NYC.

I was wrong.

Her son and a fraternity brother were rounded up and detained by local Cabo police who took all their money and their shoes and demanded more money still. A girl saw them being taken and went to a local bar to find help from an adult. She noted that they had Wisconsin tees on and mentioned that in her description. One of the men at the bar was luckily a Badger Dad (his DD a student there) and took 5 hours out of his vacation to negotiate a release of the boys at his own personal expense. My friend’s son won’t leave his hotel room now he is so scared that he will be detained again.

These kids did nothing wrong except to be young American tourists with relativity deep pockets.

If your kids are considering Cabo for spring break next year, I recommend that they steer clear. If you can’t trust law enforcement in a community you can’t trust anyone.
Thank God for that Badger dad!!!! It really does take a village!

I have an update on what happened to my FB friend's son.

What happened is that a woman from Kansas was in the area with her own kids and saw the cops (federal police) throw the two kids to the ground and handcuff them. They said that they didn't do anything wrong. Kansas Mom went up to the kids and asked their names and found them on Facebook. She found another kid in a Wisconsin hat and asked if they knew the boys who were arrested and he said he knew their frat was there. Another man (Badger Dad) overheard the conversation and went to the police department to get the kids out of jail. The cops took all the kids' money, their shoes (!) and their sunglasses. They then demanded more money from Badger Dad.

Three cheers for Kansas Mom and Badger Dad! My friend's son is still not home, but he's at least safe where he is now.

So yeah, stay away from Cabo. My DD just said that she was interested in going to Mexico next Spring Break and I said "Nope!". I know she wants to go there because the drinking age is 18. Since that's the reason, maybe I'll send her up to Canada next year instead, LOL.

I have an update on what happened to my FB friend's son.

What happened is that a woman from Kansas was in the area with her own kids and saw the cops (federal police) throw the two kids to the ground and handcuff them. They said that they didn't do anything wrong. Kansas Mom went up to the kids and asked their names and found them on Facebook. She found another kid in a Wisconsin hat and asked if they knew the boys who were arrested and he said he knew their frat was there. Another man (Badger Dad) overheard the conversation and went to the police department to get the kids out of jail. The cops took all the kids' money, their shoes (!) and their sunglasses. They then demanded more money from Badger Dad.

Three cheers for Kansas Mom and Badger Dad! My friend's son is still not home, but he's at least safe where he is now.

So yeah, stay away from Cabo. My DD just said that she was interested in going to Mexico next Spring Break and I said "Nope!". I know she wants to go there because the drinking age is 18. Since that's the reason, maybe I'll send her up to Canada next year instead, LOL.

That is terrifying! Fortunately, my son has shown no interest in Spring Break trips so far (and neither of the older two went on any, so there is no precedent set).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter