Pete's Dragon

Which version of Pete's Dragon do you prefer?

• Total voters

Bill007

Mouseketeer
I just watched the remake of Pete's Dragon this evening. When I saw it at the theater I was sort of lukewarm on it but after watching it again tonight I loved it. The instrumental score was great but I didn't care as much for the vocals. The cast was also great, especially Oakes Fegley. I also love the original 1977 film. It has many great and memorable songs and a great cast. Now I'm not sure which I prefer. I'm curious as to what other Disney fans think and why they chose the particular version they like best.

Last edited:
It's hard to say. It's been a while since I watched the original Pete's - I've had it for some time just haven't gotten around to revisiting it. I did see the new version in theaters and thought it was quite good. I like that it's different - it's better than the remakes that are exactly the same. It was a tad predictable, but I think it was a good, family feel-good movie with a lot of heart.

The original does have the songs though and that'll always make it the more recognized classic.

I love the original movie, but probably just for nostalgia at this point. Having watched a few scenes, its very much of its time, with pretty rough animation, cheap 70's production values, etc. If I was watching it for the first time today I don't think it would resonate.

I was honestly surprised with how well done the remake was. Especially how gently it tells its story. It doesn't shy away from Pete's backstory, but doesn't overdo it either. And in this age of superheroes/comic-book movies dominating, it takes its time and allows the movie to breathe.

It was also nice to see an actual PG movie that wasn't animated. There has been a small string of them lately. I wish they would make more, but it seems like box-office poison.

It's hard to say. It's been a while since I watched the original Pete's - I've had it for some time just haven't gotten around to revisiting it. I did see the new version in theaters and thought it was quite good. I like that it's different - it's better than the remakes that are exactly the same. It was a tad predictable, but I think it was a good, family feel-good movie with a lot of heart.

The original does have the songs though and that'll always make it the more recognized classic.
Agreed. As with The Jungle Book enough was new to make it refreshing. Not at all like The Lion King or most of the others.

No, they aren't. But then again they were just 'background' songs and not part of the plot.

Yeah, I don't really recall it having songs really. It's more like a soundtrack really compared to the musical nature of the original.

The original! Nothing can beat Helen Reddy, Jim Dale, Mickey Rooney, Red Buttons and SHELLEY WINTERS....and those great Kasha and Hirschhorn songs!

Candle on the Water is one of my all time favorite songs. I do love the original. That being said, I also like the new one. I didn’t know much about it before I saw it, and I’m glad that I didn’t. So it did surprise me in some ways. So I guess my actual vote would be I prefer the original, but also like the new one. But since that isn’t an option, I picked the original.

Like I said, I love both but probably prefer the original since I love the songs and it holds some nostalgia for me. I even have a personalized, autographed picture of Sean Marshall which holds a special place in my Disney memorabilia collection!

Attachments

• 100_6917.JPG
    100_6917.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter