Photo sharing: Zoos

Now for some REALLY CREEPY CRAWLEYS

3603771861_5c2dd6c6f7_b.jpg

Okay I was doing alright until I got to this post. :scared1:

Good job with these though. I remember my daughter ate a lolipop with a cricket in it once- I think she stopped before she got to the 'good stuff' though. ;)

Okay I was doing alright until I got to this post.

Good job with these though. I remember my daughter ate a lolipop with a cricket in it once- I think she stopped before she got to the 'good stuff' though.

Its one of those shock and awe photos LOL
I can't always take photos of the pretty stuff LOL

This entire trip was a challenge for me (being a newbie to photography) all of the bugs were behind glass BUT unlike fish aquariums, which have lots of lighting, these aquariums did NOT have very much lighting at all (bugs are mostly night time critters) I was begging for even a tiny bit of light as the place has nowhere to set up a tripod so I had to do this hand held. Throw in the million fingerprints and smudges on the glass (along with dew as some bugs have high humidity requirements) ~ it was TOUGH! I ended up throwing my flash on but put it down to the minimum and held the lens as close to the glass as I could. It was a REAL challenge for this new photographer ... that one pic of hubby eating a mealworm ...errr I got the willies just cropping it :rotfl2:

Haven't made it to the insectarium yet. Did you do the Bug Awards movie? I'm curious how it compares to A Bugs Life.

Haven't made it to the insectarium yet. Did you do the Bug Awards movie? I'm curious how it compares to A Bugs Life.

Yeah we did it ~ EXTREMELY dumb... does not hold a candle to bugs life. It wasn't in 3d or any special effects. It was just a cartoon about certain bugs and their jobs on a regular old projector. :confused3

Yeah we did it ~ EXTREMELY dumb... does not hold a candle to bugs life. It wasn't in 3d or any special effects. It was just a cartoon about certain bugs and their jobs on a regular old projector. :confused3

Thats a shame. It was supposed to be a 4D type film with similar effects to A Bugs Life or Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

great job shooting some pretty disgusting photos and from the looks of it,
Andrew Zimmer has nothing on your family( that "bizarre foods" guy):lmao:

the Toledo Ohio zoo had a special bug exhibit last yr. the lighting was awful (semi darkness like with the bat exhibit) and no way i was brave enough to be getting close enough to take shots up by the glass of spiders and roaches. really gross thing was in the Cleveland rainforest last yr they were working on the hissing cockroach exhibit and you could see some loose "backstage" in the room behind the exhibit...like what would keep them from getting out front? and the thought of a 3 inch long cockroach climbing up my leg ...yuck big time!!! so now i stay away from all walls in there and don't sit down to watch the movie:rotfl:

Over Labor Day weekend, we took a day trip into the city and one of our stops was Lincoln Park Zoo. Here are a few photos.

668465926_fmeMc-L.jpg

668339954_rkJ4g-L.jpg

668288367_w9XMv-L.jpg

668224896_7ksNb-L.jpg

668314286_UDDim-L.jpg

These are nice! I can never get decent pictures at the zoo. :(

I love the Rhino! Nice eye contact on that one too!

Great shots!

One from my last trip to LPZ

June%202009%20022_640.jpg

Very nice lion shot! I love the lighting. We were there when the zoo opened and left about 2pm, so I had pretty harsh lighting most of the time we were there The lions weren't very cooperative at all. I don't even know where the Mr. was and all Mrs. did was lay around. I went back to that exhibit a couple times, but this is all I got.

668446718_RKYyf-L.jpg

Very nice lion shot! I love the lighting. We were there when the zoo opened and left about 2pm, so I had pretty harsh lighting most of the time we were there The lions weren't very cooperative at all. I don't even know where the Mr. was and all Mrs. did was lay around. I went back to that exhibit a couple times, but this is all I got.

668446718_RKYyf-L.jpg

Thanks, it was first thing in the morning when the park had just opened. Great time for photos!

I was trying out my new to me 80-200 lens. I like it just sure wish it was AF because I'm not nailing(or close as usual) it as well manually. They had Sigma one that was f/2.8(this one is 4.5 and really old style and manual) but it ended up being Minolta then we found another in the case of used but it was Canon. RATS!!

The lion and lioness snoozing, well the lioness was curious about something stuck her head up. Missed the Lion standing with his face to us by second because I couldn't get the lens through the bars good when I adjusted because it was distorting the bottom he was back down in a matter of seconds. :(

4446550227_3f415416f8_b.jpg

Two of the different baboons
I love this one because he reminds me of Rafiki my fav from Lion King
4446550687_487de8ebe1_b.jpg

has some smudging and glare it was shot through glass

This guy(or girl I'd never know) wasn't through glass but was a little out of focus from manually focusing. :( I can't wait to go back may even take a trip alone so I can take photos without dragging kids along.
4446550427_48c2db77c3_b.jpg

Giraffe
4446550983_dc0efbd976_b.jpg

I was really enjoying having a zoom finally. Its definitely sold me on the usage. I was even loving a couple snap portraits I took with it. ;)

Tiger
4447326016_2735d89635_b.jpg

Every time I've been to this zoo he/she is always by that wall. Its hard because the sun is bright on the forground and he/she is in nice shade.

Spider Monkey
4446550807_52a8d6fbb3_b.jpg

Sting Ray
4446550827_219ddf9dc5_b.jpg

And the Rhino will be last one. If you made it this far thanks. :)
4446550741_bcc0a4c08b_b.jpg

Very nice! I enjoyed looking. Have fun with the new lens! :goodvibes

(BTW - I think the tiger is a he :))

Nice shots, I love the first one of the Tiger and the one of the Giraffe's. I think you are doing a great job;).

These are very nice!! Would you mind if I printed the baboon one for my class? My kids are OBSESSED with baboons since a little one (only hearts club kind) came to visit our class.

Thanks for looking.

I don't mind at all funkychunky. Let me know if you want a full size. :goodvibes I guess I did post these quite large already though. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter