• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Picking up tickets early..

Agreed, but CF has not said in a defacto way that this isn't correct. Interested to hear 1st hand experiences since this "change" was communicated.

Well, he basically did.

The only info that tickets cannot be picked up early

has come from a memo

that did not go out

to the CM's who would be able to give guests their tickets early.

All of the pot-stirring in this thread has come from

CM's who cannot control

whether guests can get their tickets early.

Kind of like sending a memo to the "cafeteria ladies" saying that first graders should not be given new reading books.
It has no affect on the outcome.

Here is my situation. Our vacation with free dining is for Nov 27th - Dec 4th. This gives us 7 days in the park. We went ahead and added the 8th day to our tickets. We have booked a room only reservation at our resort for Nov 26th. One way or another I will get my park passes on Nov 26th. We will be paying for 3 (x 4 people) meals out of pocket that day in the park so they are definitely getting their money.

I am paying for 8 days and just choose to enter a day before my free dining package instead of a day on the back end to keep from taking my child out of school for another day. If anything, Disney is making out better on the deal since we are going to have to pay for our meals by arriving early instead of on the back end where they would pay for the meals with the free dining offer.

How could anyone think this would be double dipping?

Since your dining credits expire at midnight after checkout (or something like that), you couldn't pay for the meals with the free dining credits if you were tacking on on room-only/park ticket days at the end. But you probably don't have to worry about using them up on the last DDP day before catching a flight or whatever...

But is is really the same to Disney either way - They can either get the $8+ of revenue per day, early or late - or not. I would think that of people arriving a day early and booking room only would likely NOT go to a park if they had to pay $85 instead of $8, which would mean lost potential revenue, potentially lost to another park - if I'm going to pay $85 to go to a park for 1 day, I'll go to Universal. Disney wants to keep you on property.

Since your dining credits expire at midnight after checkout (or something like that), you couldn't pay for the meals with the free dining credits if you were tacking on on room-only/park ticket days at the end. But you probably don't have to worry about using them up on the last DDP day before catching a flight or whatever...

But is is really the same to Disney either way - They can either get the $8+ of revenue per day, early or late - or not. I would think that of people arriving a day early and booking room only would likely NOT go to a park if they had to pay $85 instead of $8, which would mean lost potential revenue, potentially lost to another park - if I'm going to pay $85 to go to a park for 1 day, I'll go to Universal. Disney wants to keep you on property.
I think what the previous poster was saying is that the days after their checkout are not blacked out, so if they arrived on their FD check in day and stayed longer on the back end, they would have the same number of park days as they would with their front end split stay, but Disney would give them FD where they are paying OOP for meals since their extra days are on the blacked-out front end

Well, he basically did.

has come from a memo

that did not go out

CM's who cannot control

Kind of like sending a memo to the "cafeteria ladies" saying that first graders should not be given new reading books.

While you are correct in every sense of the word, I will still wait for a concrete answer. CF did not say, point blank, that I can still pick up my tickets 3 days early. That is what I need to read in order to make a reservation. I travel in 2 weeks.

Well, he basically did.

has come from a memo

that did not go out

CM's who cannot control

Ok, I don't think the CMs who don't control whether guests can get their tickets early are pot stirring. I believe that they are giving the information they are told in their role. MUCH like phone CMs say that the holiday parties begin at 7 but in reality we know that park operations allow guests to enter at 4. The phone CMs are most likely trained to say that and not to deviate from the script.

The reservations CMs have been told to say this now and even if it comes to not be true, they certainly can't chance saying something that is not in their script as allowable. I totally understand the reservations CMs and travel agents on this thread who are only going by the information that they have been given this week. To blatantly tell people otherwise would not be a good move on their part, job wise.

This is like many areas of Disney where one division makes the plans but another carries out the plan how they see fit.

Liz

Ok, I don't think the CMs who don't control whether guests can get their tickets early are pot stirring. I believe that they are giving the information they are told in their role. MUCH like phone CMs say that the holiday parties begin at 7 but in reality we know that park operations allow guests to enter at 4. The phone CMs are most likely trained to say that and not to deviate from the script.

The reservations CMs have been told to say this now and even if it comes to not be true, they certainly can't chance saying something that is not in their script as allowable. I totally understand the reservations CMs and travel agents on this thread who are only going by the information that they have been given this week. To blatantly tell people otherwise would not be a good move on their part, job wise.

This is like many areas of Disney where one division makes the plans but another carries out the plan how they see fit.

Liz

Eh, it came off as pot stirring. They're not on the job right now, one such poster appears to have lied (or at least REALLY stretched the truth) about procedures, and in general wasn't exactly pleasant about the whole situation.

Nope.

Just remove the "room" part of the equation, and look only at the TICKETS.
After all, the tickets are what are being picked up.

If a guest purchases a UT 5-day ticket (it is discounted and Disney has already made it's fee from that transaction,) and at any point during his trip he wants to add "3 days" to that ticket, Disney will happily allow the upgrade for the cost of $8 per day.

Same scenario as above but, this time the guest shows up 3 days before the trip was originally planned. Disney would still upgrade the ticket for 3 more days at the same price. Nobody is injured, Disney gets its money... Happy all around.

This is a perfect explanation that this doesn't appear tied to where you stay, for us to buy extra tickets, and other profit based push.

Ok, I see what you are saying, but it's not the same thing. The tickets are required to be purchased with the package with the free dining. They can still be upgraded after pick up, you just can't pick them up early, because they are tied to package dates. They wouldn't want you to be on a room only discount and then be able to add $8 upgraded tickets to the rest of your free dining package. It doesnt make fiscal sense for them.

It doesn't effect me personally and I am not condoning this new enforcement of policy but I get why they are doing it. TDO seems to be on a belt tightening kick the past few months, it really makes me wonder what's next?

No, this doesn't appear to have anything to do with the CRO policy. See Robo's examples.

I can totally see why Disney is doing this. Since this wasn't something you could do at the resort, the resort CM's weren't really trained in it. When we picked up our tickets early (which, BTW, I would have NEVER thought would be allowed in the first place until I read a thread on the DIS), we were issued them at DHS before we checked in. Then, we went and checked in at POP-where we had a one day room reservation, but we had to go back the next morning and re-check in. When we did so, they handed me my KTTW card, WITH the tickets. I had to tell them that we had already picked up our tickets, and she was confused and had to ask someone else how to reissue room keys without the tix. I can imagine plenty of people would keep that information to themselves.

Now, in this technology age, I would think this is an easy fix, but apparently the computers don't talk to each other when this is done, or at least didn't on my reservation.

...I had a different experience. Last year the resort CM knew I had picked up my park tickets prior to checkin and combined the remaining portion of my package together like a pro.

The process was so well executed, the potential for duplicated tickets never-ever crossed my mind.

No. Picking up FD credits early? Absolutely.

Isn't that interesting. Someone who works directly with tickets isn't getting any sort of advisory about this...

If this truly is happening, it would again be an example of customers getting punished for CMs not doing their jobs well. The CMs should be checking for this, and if they don't know it can happen, that means they aren't trained properly. A disney problem being put onto the guests...

Now I don't like that "fraud" was thrown around so much. There seems to be at least a few simple steps Disney can take to correct their problems with this - including training, improved networking, delayed processing of refunds/cancellations, etc. - without the need for trying to roll over ALL guests in the process.

Just when I'm feeling confident that I can pick up tickets early, I get this from my travel agent.

"I also want to mention that we are getting the following information when we speak to CMs at Walt Disney World about obtaining tickets Before Package Starts:

Several CMs have stated and we have verified through Guest Services that clients will NOT be able to retrieve/separate ticketing BEFORE their package begins. The CMs said they’ve changed their policy on this, and even a supervisor at Guest Relations will NOT be able to do this.

I want you to be aware that this is the caution we have been advised to relate to our clients."

Thankfully, I'm not going for a few more months and I'll be able to see if people are able to pick up their tickets early despite what CMs on the phone are saying.

Now I don't like that "fraud" was thrown around so much. There seems to be at least a few simple steps Disney can take to correct their problems with this - including training, improved networking, delayed processing of refunds/cancellations, etc. - without the need for trying to roll over ALL guests in the process.

Maybe there really hasn't been fraud with the early pickup of tickets. But maybe the Disney loss control squad is looking for areas where they THINK there is potential for it down the road. There was another thread just recently from Cheshire Figment about a change in policy about adding days on the back end of the ticket......... to minimize fraud. I haven't kept up with that thread recently, but it did strike me as odd that someone could add days and sell the ticket since there is a finger scan in place. Regardless, that thread coupled with this issue and the statement from my own booking agent by phone (unsolicited) has me still a little uneasy about this. I guess I'll keep 2 ADR's for that night........ one inside the park like we want, and one outside the park as a backup. Or I'll check out Universal.

. I guess I'll keep 2 ADR's for that night........ one inside the park like we want, and one outside the park as a backup. Or I'll check out Universal.

I'm with you. Disney can let me pick up the tickets I have paid for and I will gladly shell out OOP money for 2 TS meals, or I will look into Universal as a back up plan. I personally think if Disney follows through with this that it will hurt them financially rather than help them.

I'm with you. Disney can let me pick up the tickets I have paid for and I will gladly shell out OOP money for 2 TS meals, or I will look into Universal as a back up plan. I personally think if Disney follows through with this that it will hurt them financially rather than help them.

I will with our family. We were going to stay 3 additional nights at the front end of our reservation and have paid for 2 additional park days. All together, it will cost Disney more than $600 from our family if I don't get confirmation within the next few days that I can pick up the tickets early.

For us, no worries. We can spend that money at Universal. We will not pay full price for more tickets to WDW. So, it will start costing them money in two weeks (when we go).

When you call Walt Disney World, unless you really know a direct number, you will get one of two offices.

The Disney Reservations Center (DRC) includes Walt Disney Travel Company (WDTC), Central Reservations Office (CRO), Disney Dining, and some other lesser known information lines. To the best of my knowledge the DRC locations are in the International Drive area, Tampa, Houston, Salt Lake City and somewhere in North Carolina. There may be more. Some of the people working at the DRC call centers may never have been to either WDW or DL (or both).

The Main Switchboard (407-824-2222) is also where all calls to Disney Resorts go if you are dialing the phone number on the back of your reservations form. Also that is where calls go if you dial the Operator from your room, and possibly even calls to the Front Desk. The Main Switchboard people will, if asked, also identify themselves as Guest Services. They can put you through to any number on WDW.

At both DRC and MS they have access to a computer which has lots of Guest Information and it is very well organized. Actually, all CMs who have access to a terminal, or who even can access "The Hub" from off-site, have access to this Guest Services information. I will often open an extra window when I am responding to people and go into The Hub for the latest official information.

The people at DRC and MS do not deal with upgrades, partially used tickets, or problems related to tickets. They do not know all the rules. The people at DRC can sell unused tickets; the people at MS don't deal with tickets at all.

The people who work in the ticket booths at the Parks or in Guest Relations at the Parks (and this includes TTC, the Water Parks, and GRO in DTD) deal with ticket upgrades and unusual problems on a daily basis. I would not say that someone you talked to on the phone lied to you, but just they were attempting to answer a question when they really did not have an answer.

In this particular instance I won't feel the least bit bad for holding 2 ADR's, neither of which requires a CC hold. And I won't feel bad choosing to ditch both if the mood strikes me.

So Cheshire Figment, you'll let me know where you'll be working on 12/10, right? ;)

Thanks again for all you do here.

So Cheshire Figment, you'll let me know where you'll be working on 12/10, right? ;)

Thanks again for all you do here.

:lmao: yes, and let me know where you are on 9/30 :thumbsup2

I so believe you Cheshire Figment, trust me I really do.. but I guess I still just feel a bit leery telling my clients that "yes, you can pick up your tickets early". I hope you understand that and by no means do I think you are lying AT ALL. I guess I am just really stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. I want to save my clients $$, but I can't say, yes you can get them early..

When you call Walt Disney World, unless you really know a direct number, you will get one of two offices.

The Disney Reservations Center (DRC) includes Walt Disney Travel Company (WDTC), Central Reservations Office (CRO), Disney Dining, and some other lesser known information lines. To the best of my knowledge the DRC locations are in the International Drive area, Tampa, Houston, Salt Lake City and somewhere in North Carolina. There may be more. Some of the people working at the DRC call centers may never have been to either WDW or DL (or both).

The Main Switchboard (407-824-2222) is also where all calls to Disney Resorts go if you are dialing the phone number on the back of your reservations form. Also that is where calls go if you dial the Operator from your room, and possibly even calls to the Front Desk. The Main Switchboard people will, if asked, also identify themselves as Guest Services. They can put you through to any number on WDW.

At both DRC and MS they have access to a computer which has lots of Guest Information and it is very well organized. Actually, all CMs who have access to a terminal, or who even can access "The Hub" from off-site, have access to this Guest Services information. I will often open an extra window when I am responding to people and go into The Hub for the latest official information.

The people at DRC and MS do not deal with upgrades, partially used tickets, or problems related to tickets. They do not know all the rules. The people at DRC can sell unused tickets; the people at MS don't deal with tickets at all.

The people who work in the ticket booths at the Parks or in Guest Relations at the Parks (and this includes TTC, the Water Parks, and GRO in DTD) deal with ticket upgrades and unusual problems on a daily basis. I would not say that someone you talked to on the phone lied to you, but just they were attempting to answer a question when they really did not have an answer.

Not to be rude, but again you post without saying, in a de facto way, that we CAN still do this. Since this reflects a change, have you called anyone that has worked in the last few days to check?

Not to be rude, but again you post without saying, in a de facto way, that we CAN still do this. Since this reflects a change, have you called anyone that has worked in the last few days to check?

He said he has checked the Hub and there have been no advisories posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter