Politness Discussion

MBTigger

Designated Bouncer
At the end of today's podcast Pete and the group discussed about how visitors should consider being polite to the cast members who work hard to make your Disney experience possible.

To help with that end, I might suggest a phrase to use when you have no idea what else to say to a cast member. Perhaps actual CM's will correct me - but I like the following phrase..

"Thank you for making the magic"

Would CM's enjoy or be upset by hearing this phrase? It is just an idea that could be shot down, but at the very least THINKING about how to be thankful is a good exercise in itself. Put alternate ideas or Love / Hate below... But I thnk it is good to at least THINK about the people working for your vacation (like the fact that they are PEOPLE).
MB

At the end of today's podcast Pete and the group discussed about how visitors should consider being polite to the cast members who work hard to make your Disney experience possible.

To help with that end, I might suggest a phrase to use when you have no idea what else to say to a cast member. Perhaps actual CM's will correct me - but I like the following phrase..

"Thank you for making the magic"

Would CM's enjoy or be upset by hearing this phrase? It is just an idea that could be shot down, but at the very least THINKING about how to be thankful is a good exercise in itself. Put alternate ideas or Love / Hate below... But I thnk it is good to at least THINK about the people working for your vacation (like the fact that they are PEOPLE).
MB
That's wonderful, and I have used something along the lines of that same phrase/thought through the years. And I'm quite sure it is appreciated - people ALWAYS appreciate when you "see" and appreciate them - especially in jobs that rarely get that!

I have actually made it my mission to positively recognize, and compliment (either to the person themselves, or their boss/es, or both) MUCH more the last few years - and especially those that rarely receive "attaboys". I think I have caught quite a few by surprise, and I KNOW I have made many more grateful to be appreciated, and touched. And at the end of the day - the one I've made the MOST happy by all this? ME!!! :)

The first "signature" in my tag line below kind of spells the feeling, and my actions, out in words. :)

Last edited:

Years ago, I waited in line at city hall at MK. When it came to my turn, I said to the CM, I don't have a problem, I just wanted to wish you a good day, keep up the good work and spread the joy. CM gave me a big smile and reach across the counter to shake my hand.

Made me feel good for taking the time.

Folks I know Pete didn’t intend anything but the slip of words was so funny in context I lol.

Pete: “....also later on we are going to discuss how people treat cast members.”

Also Pete: “here I want this, I don’t care if you have to break character, either break character or I will break your neck.”

Lol. I was thinking the same thing. That the topic was ironic given what he was saying about trying to get a soda at GE. However, he's not wrong that they need to read people. You can quickly tell if someone is into it or not.

Folks I know Pete didn’t intend anything but the slip of words was so funny in context I lol.

Pete: “....also later on we are going to discuss how people treat cast members.”

Also Pete: “here I want this, I don’t care if you have to break character, either break character or I will break your neck.”

I literally pointed that out in the YouTube comments I was like uhhhh...?

I personally don’t rely on cast members to make or break my vacation.

Do you know where this and that is?

How much is this?

Would you mind taking a photo for us?

That’s 95% of my interactions and they all end with please thank you and I appreciate it.

We LOVE how the amazing CM's at Disney! They are worth their weight in gold. Maybe it's the perma-grin on my face as I walk around...or maybe it's the pixie dust fart cloud that surrounds me but CM's always seem to be happy to see us and are exuberant and fun. We please and thank you them to pieces and love to engage and interact with them in genuine ways.

I went up to the Cookie Num Num stand in DHS on our last trip and was so excited to try one as the stand had been closed on our previous trip. I must've looked like a kid on Christmas morning standing there as I ordered, and the 2 CM's chatted with me for a bit about how our day had been and wished me happy birthday (I had a button). Then as I went to tap to pay, the Cm smiled and said "Happy birthday!" again with his eyebrows raised. I was like say whaaaaaaaaaaa?? For real????? He might as well handed me a gold brick! I was so excited and thankful! Off to guest serviced to let them know what great CM's they've got!

We are always polite to the CM’s but I do make an extra effort when I see the blue name tags. I do not know if this program still exists but the blue tag means that they are a Legacy member. To become a Legacy you have to be nominated/selected by the other CM’s. We learned about it on one of the backstage tours. I saw one at Kona Cafe a couple of years ago and when I congratulated her on being a Legacy, she just grinned from ear to ear.

I totally agree w/going to a Disney park with an attitude of appreciation and kindness. At some point during each day we're in one of the parks (usually at DL resort), we stop by City Hall (DL) or the Chamber of Commerce (DCA) to put in a thank you for a CM who we encountered that day. So with my kids, we turn it into sort of a scavenger hunt to find and select a great CM.

Honestly, it's my favorite part of the day. Sometimes when I go into City Hall, you can tell that the plaid CM had just before me had to deal with a frustrated or angry park guest. And the look on the CM's face just totally transforms when I say that I'd like to leave a thank you for a CM.

The CMs we've left thank you's for have ranged from custodial CMs, ride operators (there was one amazing Jungle Cruise skipper once who was totally outstanding), CMs at quick service restaurants who clear the tables, parking lot CMs, security CMs, etc.

I think even just consciously increasing, pleases, thank you's, good mornings, ect. makes a huge difference. So often positive Cast Members are wishing Guests a magical day as they leave the park and get ignored. Even just saying Thank You, or Good Morning as you scan into the park is something positive. My point basically is, don't treat Cast Members like they are invisible. Especially the ones who really have the Disney magic.

I constantly see looks of disbelief, or even "What did you say to me?" and are in defensive mode, and then catching themselves when I speak politely, or give compliments to people in my every day life. People just are not used to getting treated graciously and kindly anymore, or having strangers give them a compliment. It's sad. But I love to transform suspicion and disbelief into grateful surprise and smiles. :) A lot of people think that's sappy, corny. and "old school" but I really don't care.

I definitely try to make it a conscious effort to be more friendly and outgoing in WDW than I ever am at home. Those cast members put up with so much and so many are so young. I know what it was like working retail so there's no way I'd ever be rude to them. Last trip someone at Cheshire Cafe gave me a free bottle of water because my hubs was getting overheated and I went to her seeking out some free tap water. That bottle helped him so much! I hope she knows my awkward five thank yous were legitimate gratefulness and I filled out a survey about her later!

On top of that I'm thinking of ordering a shirt that says something along the lines of "I won't break the magic" because I heard SO many adults my age saying things in line like "She's not really Cinderella, this is just for a picture." or "That's just a person in a suit." Like lady, the five year old behind you in line can hear you! Don't do that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter