Poll.......Anybody getting the spam 'Congratulations, you won.....!' popups??

Are you getting these 'Congratulations, you won whatever' popups?

• Yes, but just on this site and on any device

Votes: 106 21.4%
  • Yes, on this and other sites and on any device

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Yes, but just on this site and only on cell phone/tablets

Votes: 314 63.3%
  • Yes, on this and other sites but only on cell phone/tablets

Votes: 38 7.7%
  • No, not getting these popups on this site or any other sites

Votes: 31 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I finally turned on enough ad blockers that it is now blocked. Took more than one.

They are. But the ads on most websites are "provided" by a monetization service that lets websites make a bit of money off the traffic through their site. The scam and intrusive ads are usually 'packaged' to look like a legitimate ad to the computers that serve them out to the various websites. There's usually an algorithm that gets smarter at preventing things like that from getting through as more and more complaints get registered. And eventually a website using this ad revenue service will get fed up and turn them off.

For as long as this particular intrusive ad has been plaguing DisBoards, I'm surprised they haven't commented out the code that lets these ads in.
Bottom line that I take away, they don't care that their users are annoyed by them. If they did, they'd fix it

Setting up your solution is WAAAAAAAY over the top for any casual computer users. Super users need set ups like that. Heck, my place of employment is tech based service provider for businesses and even we don't have such an elaborate set up. Too many easier ways to solve issues.

Setting up your solution is WAAAAAAAY over the top for any casual computer users. Super users need set ups like that.
It seems that way. It's one of those things that's far more complicated to consider or to explain than it is to actually do. Start to finish it takes about 20 minutes to set up and the instructions walk you through the process step by step. But it's certainly not for everyone.

On the other hand it does improve the network internet performance when used, and by blocking those ads it blocks a significant exposure to malicious code. And by denying those companies the "click-thru"on those ads it robs them of the revenue and perhaps the ad servers will have to get a little more picky about who gets to ride along.

It shouldn't take such steps to keep malicious and dishonest ads off a website. All I know is I went from getting that pop up often to getting it never, overnight.

I finally had to turn off Java for this site and that stopped it. I can't watch videos here though. I just get a black box.

I don't even bother from my phone. I also get them quite a bit from my computer. It's extremely annoying.

I started getting these yesterday and it continues today. Both on my ipad and iPhone but (knocking on wood) not on my desktop so far. Only on the Dis.

Yes, they know. Posters have been complaining about it for months.

I'd feel better if one of them would just out right say, "we know, but we won't fix".........

I understand why they won't, but boy is it annoying.

I was getting them on my iPhone every time. I deleted history, deleted the bookmark from my home screen, typed in the address and re-saved it, rebooted phone.

It seems to be working ok. For now.

I was getting them on my iPhone every time. I deleted history, deleted the bookmark from my home screen, typed in the address and re-saved it, rebooted phone.

It seems to be working ok. For now.

Key word......

Good luck!

Let's be honest... assuming they're getting SOME kind of $$ from this, why fix it? Everyone complaining about it is still obviously posting, so therefore visiting the site. If posters start "voting with their wallet" and not visiting the Dis, maybe they'll make a change.

Total nightmare, I can't click on anything without getting the redirect popup.

Is there anything we can do to bring more attention to this?

Letter writing campaign?

Open letter to the editor?

Walk out?

Eat in?

Hunger strike?

Comment section of YouTube on the Disunplugged videos?

@Dan Murphy is there a way to reset the poll? I have to believe that the problem has really ramped up since May. I didn't start having it until last month, now I get it all the time. It would be interesting to see how it's "evolved"....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter