Poll for parents of HS 2017 grads

Since starting college, my freshman has....

• Changed majors

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Changed roommates

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Changed schools

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Failed out and come home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is content with all of the above

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters

Tinijocaro

DIS Veteran
Please select as many as apply to your freshman. Might be nice to see in a poll, the changes many of our kids are already making.

DS changed majors. He actually decided over the summer that he wanted to change but had to meet with his advisor once school started. Since it was a related field, there weren’t any issues with his schedule.

Watching, even though I have a 2016 grad and now a 2018 grad.

My 2016 grad started at community college, so he had to change schools. He just started in Jan at his 4 year school. He didn't technically change his major, but he honestly thought he was heading in one direction, and ended up choosing a specialty within that direction.

I have 2 college freshman (twins). One got a roommate from hell. The school knew because they did a phone interview with DD over the summer and the roommate is in some special program. So DD looked for someone to switch with...even girls in triples and nobody wanted to switch when they found out who the roommate was. A girl DD knew ended up as a solo when her roommate dropped out so DD was going to move in there. She happened to be the teammate of other DDs roommate so they switched up and my two DDs ended up together.

Otherwise they are fairly content. No changing majors. They aren't fans of the dining hall food. And it's up north in the mountains with cold and snow. But one DD is in a firefighter program and loves loves loves that. Both also play a sport there and they aren't all that into it. It's a lot of work and they're not sure they will continue. Other DD actually applied for transfer next year. Wish both would because they are currently 8 hours from us but would be 30 minutes if they went where DD applied. But it's probably good for them to go different paths.

Well my youngest graduated highschool in 2017 so I opened the thread, only to see the assumption that all HS grads go to uni and the questions is really about college freshman of 2017, so I am not answering the poll, but I'll answer below for what DS19 is doing.

DS19 started an apprenticeship in September. It's a 3.5 year program with 25% class time and 75% in the factory. The first 4 months are probationary and either the company or the apprentice can call it quits or make changes, etc
That period ended at the end of December. DS loves what he is doing and wants to stick with it and the company was also happy to keep him on---so he is likely to stay pout for the duration now.

As is typical here for apprentices, DS lives at home---but he is making friends in the program and goes out with them or firends from highschool most weekends.

Last edited:
My daughter was hard set on a major when she started but I thought she'd stay on a math related path. That doesn't seem likely but she's really excited about the direction she's heading and had a wonderful 1st semester academically.

Roommate wise she hasn't done as well. Her initial roommate swapped to be nearer friends. My daughter was fine with that and really enjoyed having her own room. She got a new roommate right before finals. She's less than thrilled and will try to swap. If there isn't a,better option she'll deal with it.

Besides that she's loving school. For that we feel very blessed.

My daughter thought a certain major was what she wanted but she hadn't declared it. Then going into this coming semester she officially declared a different one. Well over the break she started to panic and didn't want it. So over the weekend she dropped most classes and picked core classes until she has more time to think about what she wants. I really did not see this coming. Overall she likes school and did great. Her roommate is another story. Too long to go into but she was acquainted with this girl and they requested each other. Things really started out well but on the very last day of finals they had a falling out. This girl got a job where my daughter works over the break (of all places) so that has been awkward. My daughter was interested in switching rooms if she could but this girl said the same so now my daughter is just hoping that girl leaves. I've heard so many roommate stories over the last few months and I was always thankful my daughter didn't have issues. School starts in about two weeks so I'll see what happens.

I don't have a 2017 HS grad, but I was interested to see the poll. Unfortunately, the poll was set up to allow viewing the results only after voting. So I voted.

I put content with all of the above. DD19 is at community college doing a graphic design program that will be a complete degree in 5 semesters, no transfer. She had some gen eds in HS, so she is taking nearly 100% graphic design. If she were to change major/program she would have to start all over but this is definitely the major for her. She is in apartment style living with 3 roommates that are fabulous and her new best friends.

She misses her cats and us, but is home frequently. It's so good to know each time she leaves us that everything at school is fantastic.

I'm not a parent but an aunt.
My niece has changed living arrangements for the second semester which is starting on January 22nd.
She wanted a kitchen area so she will now be in a co-ed suite.
She made the Dean's list and has no plans to change her major of criminal investigation with a minor in forensics.
She'd really like to be in the FBI.

My DD is on the fence about her double major (Marketing and International Studies). She is thinking about changing to Econ and Political Science. Lots of classes overlap within these 4 majors, so she hasn't actually changed anything officially. I "think" the change may have been bandied about because she wanted to find a way to get out of Calculus (she dropped it last semester). I told her Marketing had tons of job possibilities and encouraged her to keep it. I just talked to her again today, and she's going to suck it up and take Calc this semester. Now she's thinking Marketing and Political Science maybe?

Grades first semester were good - 3.57 (Dean's List).

Roommate situation is GREAT! They decided to get an apartment and live together again next year with 2 other girls on their hall. They also just pledged the same sorority.

Social Life is really good as well. She's made tons of new friends, gone to parties and football games, formed study groups. She just successfully completed Sorority Recruitment and got a bid to the house she fell in love with during the first round.

There was one small bump - a run in with the campus police - but it was minor, and they treated it as a teachable moment. She just has to keep her nose clean from now on.

Overall, we are happy and she is happy!

Last edited:
My son graduated in 2016. He went to college for the first year. He hated it but stuck it out both semesters His roommates were awful. A very bad influence. He came home most weekends to get away from them..He decided that he did not want to major in communications. He decided not to go back for Fall 2017. He wanted to figure out what he wanted to do. After working a for 8 months at a dead end job. He choose to go back this semester. He has been back one week and he said that his new roommates are much better. His classes and professors are great. It is a totally difference experience. His still is trying to figure out what he wants to major in.

My dd is a 2016 graduate and when she registered for CC she was going to major in computer science. By the time she attended (was doing dual enrollment with classes at the HS) she had switched it to general studies so that she can concentrate on fulfilling requirements for a zoology major, which the CC doesn't offer. She just got accepted into the University's zoology program. I don't see her changing that, it seems to be her calling.

My DD's roommate quit school 10 days after they moved in for orientation. She loved having a single, so we shared the cost of a single supplement for this semester.

She is in a sport, and is keeping up on studies and just waiting for the outdoor portion of T/F. She isn't the greatest at the indoor events.

All in all, she is enjoying the experience.

My dd decided to take the year off and work before starting nursing school. She had a job working at an assisted living facility but unfortunately hurricane Harvey shut it down for about 4 months. She will be starting school in the fall, possible some summer classes. She decided to not go back to working because she doesn't want to work and go to school . For the first year anyway. She'll go to the local college and live at home. At least at first :)

My DD changed majors and changed roommates. She’s still pre-physical therapy but with a different, less intense major. She is also moving into a single dorm room in a different dorm because of girl drama on her floor last semester.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter