Pop Century Room Renovations

I went ahead and booked POP - last year I got FD in June but stuck with ASM - which as we got a King room worked out but the multi bus sharing got old - and I just like POP more. I initially thought let me book a Preferred room then changed my mind, Preferred Pool rooms aren't available for booking as of November - so odds are they may expect the renovations to have moved to that area - the room that is being done as a test based on photos is a standard so i switched my res to standard. Can't wait for someone to go and update the progress. I have family friends there now but they aren't Disney crazy like me so didn't go hunting down info. Even when I asked o_O

:rolleyes1
I went ahead and booked POP - last year I got FD in June but stuck with ASM - which as we got a King room worked out but the multi bus sharing got old - and I just like POP more. I initially thought let me book a Preferred room then changed my mind, Preferred Pool rooms aren't available for booking as of November - so odds are they may expect the renovations to have moved to that area - the room that is being done as a test based on photos is a standard so i switched my res to standard. Can't wait for someone to go and update the progress. I have family friends there now but they aren't Disney crazy like me so didn't go hunting down info. Even when I asked o_O

Don't you mean ex-friends! :rolleyes1

I have stayed at Pop twice before and have an upcoming stay in August 2017. Both stays I was placed in the 60s and I am hoping for a repeat this time. I am really hoping that they won't have gotten to the 60s by my dates. I would hate for the rooms to be blocked out for my stay.

I have stayed at Pop twice before and have an upcoming stay in August 2017. Both stays I was placed in the 60s and I am hoping for a repeat this time. I am really hoping that they won't have gotten to the 60s by my dates. I would hate for the rooms to be blocked out for my stay.
That's exactly how I feel. I don't need a renovated room, I just hope to be placed in the section I want.

I'd like to get a refurbished room. I tend to be nervous about bed bugs so there would be less chance they'd be there. I have a prefered room reserved for 6 nights in Sept. I was hoping to have in the 50s nearer the food court and near a smoking station. I have 2 adult daughters that are challenged and one is blind also. So I don't want to have to worry about the older one going smoking while I stay with the younger one. Hopefully the 60s or 50s will be done then What would be a good room to request when I arrive?

I'm not too sure what to recommend @Linda55443 as I am going in September also and am fully prepared that the 60's and 50's rooms probably will not have been touched yet. I'm basing this on where they started the renos and expecting them to move around the resort clockwise. I could be completely wrong about this. Only time will tell and then closer to our dates we'll have a better idea of what rooms to request/suggest.

Well now I am torn. I kind of want a renovated room, because having the coffee maker in there would be SO nice. We always eat breakfast in the room before hitting the parks. I'm also going with a group of 9, split across 4 rooms. I'm in the room with 3 single gals, so having a queen and a full would make sleeping arrangements nicer. BUT.... I don't want to stay in the 90s or 80s section. Aren't they furthest from the food court and bus station? I was planning to request rooms on the upper 2 floors of the 60s buildings for us, for lake views, ease of access to AoA and to the food court and bus station. Our trip is May 6-13. I guess I'll just keep following this thread to see pics and updates from everyone on how far renovations have gone!

Well now I am torn. I kind of want a renovated room, because having the coffee maker in there would be SO nice. We always eat breakfast in the room before hitting the parks. I'm also going with a group of 9, split across 4 rooms. I'm in the room with 3 single gals, so having a queen and a full would make sleeping arrangements nicer. BUT.... I don't want to stay in the 90s or 80s section. Aren't they furthest from the food court and bus station? I was planning to request rooms on the upper 2 floors of the 60s buildings for us, for lake views, ease of access to AoA and to the food court and bus station. Our trip is May 6-13. I guess I'll just keep following this thread to see pics and updates from everyone on how far renovations have gone!

I bring a small travel coffee maker, if that helps. It was only $15 from Amazon. It's a Black & Decker single cup maker. Used it a few times now.

Not likely renovated rooms will be available by then, from what I've read.

If you buy the coffee maker, they take #1 filters (I got them at home). I had the maker shipped direct a while ago to the resort, but brought filters from home. I need my coffee before I get dressed!

I'm with the PP who speculated that, since the started with the 90s building, they would logically go clockwise - I would say south-to-north, but I think we're saying the same thing. Early on, I think someone said 20 days per room. Doing a wing at a time, so I'm translating as about 3 weeks per wing - 2 months per building... but if they're not opening new rooms till June, my thought may be totally wrong...

Anyway, unless they start jumping around randomly as to which buildings they work on instead of going in order, I can't see them reaching the 60s by August. Sounds like they may well be in the 80s. Besides, if I were Disney, I'd rather have the 60s closed around Jan-Feb when there is less demand on the pool area.

I just want the 70s open (done or not) next February.

We also have to keep in mind that we still don't know if all the rooms are even being fully renovated- if some see more of a refresher than full redo some may take less time - either way dying for someone to arrive and check things out as the initial set of rooms should be done by now

Just booked POP this weekend for a mid-August trip...very excited regardless! It will be our first stay at POP. One adult, two 11 year old boys - and I really want a refurb room regardless of area. It's so much easier for one to sleep on the Murphy (which he loves the idea of) and one to sleep with me in a Queen. I'm also excited for the POP restaurant options and the dedicated buses. This is only my second "modern" trip to WDW (the others being in '83,'84,'94 and '97). Last year we were pixie dusted to the Boardwalk - talk about raising your kids' expectations for this trip!

Got mine February 21 for an April 2 stay. Guess now that it has actually started they are giving guests more notice.

February 2017

Dear Family,

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us at Disney’s Pop Century Resort!

In an effort to continually enhance the Guest experience here at the Walt Disney World® Resort, we often refresh our offerings and atmosphere. In preparation of your upcoming stay, we wanted to make you aware of a Resort refurbishment taking place during your visit.

While we are working our magic, it is possible you will see or hear work in progress around the Resort and requests for specific buildings may not be possible to accommodate. Though some disruption may be unavoidable, depending on your location, we are making an effort to minimize the impact on your experience. As a result, noise should not be heard from your Guest room until after 9:00am daily.

Please know that we are working to ensure that your stay is both comfortable and enjoyable. If you need assistance with your reservation, please contact your original booking agent as listed on your confirmation letter.

7GsJhxBBy0MB65f-Pc7ao62_IrAG9MUTKvC9Y0pRpGztAQTz1J9Iwk8KVSxLt0QRP828PNIkKb_LN1qI7zg0DZw7=s0-d-e1-ft
If you booked your stay through Walt Disney World Resort or have general questions, please call 407-939-7805 between the hours of 7:00am-11:00pm (ET).
7GsJhxBBy0MB65f-Pc7ao62_IrAG9MUTKvC9Y0pRpGztAQTz1J9Iwk8KVSxLt0QRP828PNIkKb_LN1qI7zg0DZw7=s0-d-e1-ft
If you booked your stay through Disney Vacation Club®, please contact Disney Vacation Club Member Services at 800-800-9800 or 407-566-3800 between the hours of 9:00am-7:30pm (ET) Monday through Friday or 9:00am-5:30pm (ET)Saturday and Sunday.

Wondering how if anything at POP has been uncovered on your recent arrival - and also jealous you are there having what one can only assume is a blast :)

Wondering how if anything at POP has been uncovered on your recent arrival - and also jealous you are there having what one can only assume is a blast :)

Pardon typos I'm working off phone. Actually decided five days real vacation meant no computer.

Today was first day we were at resort when they were working. (Windows are covered.) Left DHS .... crowds. Parks are very busy, which we expected.

We are in 50's ... 24+ POP stays and first with pool view .. upgrade. Nice at moment .. because pool is closed.

We walked to building 8. Poor folks staying close it is noisy! Rooms are being emptied fully, walls built above bath, all new wiring, mud etc. they are currently working on ALL FOUR floors of two wings of building. Other wing has guests literally 20 feet from room work. They have gates, rope and signs so you can't get close.

The first floor wing they started on is still not done. Flooring may be in as they were covered in a paper. Did see a wall sconce installed not seen in pictures placed approx where the fridge/coffee station was or to the left. They looked to be rolling other lights in on carts in boxes.

I found a guy in dressier clothes, vest and hard hat - obviously a project manager person and asked questions. He seemed sure but did say, unless they have changed the plan ... cya.

- Will continue to have Accessible Rooms which have their own different plan.
- As far as he knows ALL remaining rooms will be 1 Bed and 1 Murphy.
- He knows of no other table.
- He said the bathroom door is a "barn style" but he also said it will be "telescoping". We talked on about it and only referring to between beds and sink. I know in pictures it looked like some type of a collapse. Didn't talk of bath to shower. I know some think pocket but there is no space for that. Telescoping is likely to be compared to a pocket.

When I asked about table ... he said "While that is the plan for all, (only Murphy table) no furniture has arrived yet so we can't say for sure." When I walked around to the rooms all said were first started I can verify there was no furniture in them.

I don't think we can work on this 20 day schedule right now. The same area that was started 29 days ago appears to still be in the schedule, with no furniture installed per manager and when I looked in they where empty of hard goods.

IMG_7963.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you SO much @HopperFan! Really appreciate the update!

I can't quite picture what kind of door will be between the toilet/bath and the sink areas but time will tell.

Thanks again for your sleuthing!

image.jpg image.jpg
Thank you SO much @HopperFan! Really appreciate the update!

I can't quite picture what kind of door will be between the toilet/bath and the sink areas but time will tell.

Thanks again for your sleuthing!

He was telling me about only where the curtain is now. He said nothing of changing the other one. When I got to room, unless they go accordion there is no room to put normal pocket. My guess would be not much change.

Do to what they are putting in lieu of curtain I could see they had framed out and building "header" at top of current door where now there is nothing,

Pardon typos I'm working off phone. Actually decided five days real vacation meant no computer.

Today was first day we were at resort when they were working. (Windows are covered.) Left DHS .... crowds. Parks are very busy, which we expected.

We are in 50's ... 24+ POP stays and first with pool view .. upgrade. Nice at moment .. because pool is closed.

We walked to building 8. Poor folks staying close it is noisy! Rooms are being emptied fully, walls built above bath, all new wiring, mud etc. they are currently working on ALL FOUR floors of two wings of building. Other wing has guests literally 20 feet from room work. They have gates, rope and signs so you can't get close.

The first floor wing they started on is still not done. Flooring may be in as they were covered in a paper. Did see a wall sconce installed not seen in pictures placed approx where the fridge/coffee station was or to the left. They looked to be rolling other lights in on carts in boxes.

I found a guy in dressier clothes, vest and hard hat - obviously a project manager person and asked questions. He seemed sure but did say, unless they have changed the plan ... cya.

- Will continue to have Accessible Rooms which have their own different plan.
- As far as he knows ALL remaining rooms will be 1 Bed and 1 Murphy.
- He knows of no other table.
- He said the bathroom door is a "barn style" but he also said it will be "telescoping". We talked on about it and only referring to between beds and sink. I know in pictures it looked like some type of a collapse. Didn't talk of bath to shower. I know some think pocket but there is no space for that. Telescoping is likely to be compared to a pocket.

When I asked about table ... he said "While that is the plan for all, (only Murphy table) no furniture has arrived yet so we can't say for sure." When I walked around to the rooms all said were first started I can verify there was no furniture in them.

I don't think we can work on this 20 day schedule right now. The same area that was started 29 days ago appears to still be in the schedule, with no furniture installed per manager and when I looked in they where empty of hard goods.

View attachment 229318
Woo hoo info! Awesome super appreciated chances are in place of curtain will be a door similar to this

Attachments

• IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 99

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter