Popcorn kernel stuck in my throat! UPDATE ~ It's Gone!! p. 8

maybe a Water Pik assist in freeing it?
I'd try that...but my dentist says be careful with those things, sometimes they can do more damage than actually solve a problem. Assuming our new friend is in the U.S and it's a holiday weekend, maybe even a "Minute Clinic" or some other walk-in clinic might be able to fix you up.

Hi All,

I got a piece of popcorn hull stuck between teeth 9 and 10 and between those 2 teeth there are no space between them. After 3 weeks of trying to remove the popcorn hull via flossing, brushing my teeth and with my tongue the hull gradually went clear in color. The heat from my mouth combined with the heat from hot foods I have been eating stretched the portion of the hull that is facing behind my teeth onto the nearby gum. It has a tight suction feeling on my gum. After struggling to remove it for sometime now, I searched on online and found out that the popcorn hull is made up of cellulose and arabinoxylan. So I thought taking an over the counter digestive enzyme supplement that contains cellulase ( an enzyme that breaks down cellulose) would breakdown the hull stuck in teeth and nearby gum. It didn't go as plan, instead it separated a long fiber from the rubbery sucked on texture in mouth. Anyone have any ideas in helping me remove this popcorn hull from my mouth? Thank you

Welcome to DIS

We know how frustrating this is. I have not had popcorn in years because of getting the hull stuck in my throat or gets all the way up in my gums.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Hi All,

I got a piece of popcorn hull stuck between teeth 9 and 10 and between those 2 teeth there are no space between them. After 3 weeks of trying to remove the popcorn hull via flossing, brushing my teeth and with my tongue the hull gradually went clear in color. The heat from my mouth combined with the heat from hot foods I have been eating stretched the portion of the hull that is facing behind my teeth onto the nearby gum. It has a tight suction feeling on my gum. After struggling to remove it for sometime now, I searched on online and found out that the popcorn hull is made up of cellulose and arabinoxylan. So I thought taking an over the counter digestive enzyme supplement that contains cellulase ( an enzyme that breaks down cellulose) would breakdown the hull stuck in teeth and nearby gum. It didn't go as plan, instead it separated a long fiber from the rubbery sucked on texture in mouth. Anyone have any ideas in helping me remove this popcorn hull from my mouth? Thank you
How about a dental pic? I keep Colgate Wisps around for just this purpose, as well as seeds etc. I have an implant that needs constant attention.

:cheer2:Congratulations Popcorn Kernel Thread. The gift that keeps on giving. You've provided us with years of enjoyment and wise counsel and now you are finally receiving your due. This thread has been mentioned as one of the Top 10 of...2021! :rotfl2: I saw it in this little video that's a pop-up in the corner of my screen (not sure if you all see the same thing).

:cheer2:Congratulations Popcorn Kernel Thread. The gift that keeps on giving. You've provided us with years of enjoyment and wise counsel and now you are finally receiving your due. This thread has been mentioned as one of the Top 10 of...2021! :rotfl2: I saw it in this little video that's a pop-up in the corner of my screen (not sure if you all see the same thing).

View attachment 634123

Too funny!!!

Thank you for sharing. I met MaryJo (@WebmasterMaryJo) many years ago - great lady!!!

Last edited:
:wave2:Shout-out to @WebmasterMaryJo ! Nice to see you on the video but I'd hoped you'd put a plug in for our beloved CB Funny Memes thread. Truly one of the greats of all time. :teeth:

This show was part of the marathon podcast. We were there beginning at 9:30 am, and this was the last podcast (around 7pm, lol). I didn't pick the threads, but I sure enjoyed sitting around the table talking about them. :lmao:

Oh my gosh, I am dying! That is so funny.
My husband took my 8 year old daughter (who was not even close to being alive yet when I started this thread) to the movies and they brought back popcorn. I did think about having some because I do miss it but to this day, I STILL have not had any!
I love this so much.

Oh my gosh, I am dying! That is so funny.
My husband took my 8 year old daughter (who was not even close to being alive yet when I started this thread) to the movies and they brought back popcorn. I did think about having some because I do miss it but to this day, I STILL have not had any!
I love this so much.
Happy New Year, Nikki, thanks for the memories. popcorn::

Hi there..... I have been reading this thread and I have a popcorn kernel stuck in my throat it is probably just below my gland and the worst thing ever!!!! It's literally all I think about all day every second of every day. It happened on Saturday so this is now day 3. I am filled with hope reading these stories, iv tried every single thing mentioned and so far no luck! I am worried now that it is just cut and I'm aggravating it kore so going to try a day of leaving it alone.

Hi there..... I have been reading this thread and I have a popcorn kernel stuck in my throat it is probably just below my gland and the worst thing ever!!!! It's literally all I think about all day every second of every day. It happened on Saturday so this is now day 3. I am filled with hope reading these stories, iv tried every single thing mentioned and so far no luck! I am worried now that it is just cut and I'm aggravating it kore so going to try a day of leaving it alone.

I would for sure go to the doctor... if it's sliced back there it could get infected. This is why I try and resist popcorn, it's one of the sketchiest foods to eat.

I got you over here, Pop.

This thread got a lot more active after my posts. Decided to come back here on a fleeting thought of eating popcorn. Ever since I mentioned I was eating popcorn again, that was apparently the last time. Haven't eaten any since.

Last edited:
I think I just made an amazing revelation. Nikki, you might not have ever had a kernel stuck in your throat. And perhaps neither did I. What we might have had is called Globus Pharyngeus. An irritation or inflammation at the top of the throat that actually feels like a popcorn kernel shell. The fact that it was right after eating popcorn may have just been an incredible coincidence. It's like having a "frog in your throat" experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter