Popcorn kernel stuck in my throat! UPDATE ~ It's Gone!! p. 8

This thread got a lot more active after my posts. Decided to come back here on fleeting thought of eating popcorn. Ever since I mentioned I was eating popcorn again, that was apparently the last time. Haven't eaten any since.

I think I just made an amazing revelation. Nikki, you might not have ever had a kernel stuck in your throat. And perhaps neither did I. What we might have had is called Globus Pharyngeus. An irritation or inflammation at the top of the throat that actually feels like a popcorn kernel shell. The fact that it was right after eating popcorn may have just been an incredible coincidence. It's like having a "frog in your throat" experience.
Welcome back, Z. Maybe you have something there. :scratchin

I had popcorn last week for the first time in years because I am so afraid of the thin yellow flake layer getting stuck up in my gums. Really missed it :teeth: I had no problems but it will be a while before I attempt it again. (I have bad gums/recessed/pockets ?)

I had a popcorn husk stuck in my throat for almost seven weeks. It just went away two days ago. Thank God. The anxiety was almost intolerable. Probably should've went to the doctor, but I kept putting it off after reading so many stories about that not helping. This thread was too funny not to reply to. Haven't had popcorn since and most likely never will.

I created an account just for this thread.

I've had a piece of popcorn husk stuck in my throat for years now. It's annoying as heck, and slightly affects my breathing and voice. I originally went to the doctor, and then ENT, and neither could find anything. The ENT mentioned the next steps would be exploratory surgery, but I kind of put the issue on the back burner because other things popped up, and trying to do anything about it was really expensive.

I have some fairly decent health insurance now, so I'm hoping I can get it taken care of the beginning of next year.

Let everyone be warned, never "finish off" a bag of popcorn by tipping it into your mouth. Lol...

After over a week of going through the same thing you did, I finally found this thread. I have never had such relief from just knowing you managed to get the popcorn shell out. I woke up in the middle of the night a few days ago and felt something in my mouth. It was a popcorn shell. I thought that was it. It's been a week since then, and it turns out I have a second shell stuck in my throat. 🫠 I can tell its a shell and not a scratch because it has shifted from the right side to the left and back and forth. Anxiety is through the roof, but I have hope!

Welcome to our web, er, I mean popcorn kernel thread and the DIS. :wave2:
images

After over a week of going through the same thing you did, I finally found this thread. I have never had such relief from just knowing you managed to get the popcorn shell out. I woke up in the middle of the night a few days ago and felt something in my mouth. It was a popcorn shell. I thought that was it. It's been a week since then, and it turns out I have a second shell stuck in my throat. 🫠 I can tell its a shell and not a scratch because it has shifted from the right side to the left and back and forth. Anxiety is through the roof, but I have hope!

Welcome to the DIS, Jerry. This thread has helped many and comes back from the dead every so often when people get the dreaded kernal stuck in their throats. Good luck to you.

Go into the mirror and stick your tongue out as far as possible with a flashlight in your hand to shine in mouth, mine felt like it was stuck in the throat but was actually stuck on the very very back of the tongue!

Welcome to the dis popcorn help department, Jerry. This is really a full service forum. Good to see you. Let us know when you get your relief. @NikkiLovesWDW!'s thread here has helped so many people here over the past 12 plus years. I bet you'll be the next.

Welcome to the dis popcorn help department, Jerry. This is really a full service forum. Good to see you. Let us know when you get your relief. @NikkiLovesWDW!'s thread here has helped so many people here over the past 12 plus years. I bet you'll be the next.
:earboy2:Come for the home remedies, stay for the unsolicited parenting advice, financial planning, interior design consultation and daily poll results that will help you recognize when you are, or are not, a weirdo. Specialized help tailored to your personal circumstances is always available - just ask. :rotfl:

I did start eating popcorn again..........until something gets stuck in my throat or up in my gums again. :smooth:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter