Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Sue, Venomhatch, and Andre for the well wishes. My son hurt his hand by getting his finger infected. It swelled up pretty nasty and we had to take him to ER to get drained. He plays in the youth symphony here in KC and was suppose to try out for all state this weekend while we were gone. Now we are just trying to battle whether or not he will be ok and if its ok to leave him. He has two sisters which are very responsible but one can't help of thinking of worst case scenarios. We are two days out now and if we should cancel we would have to do it today and take penalities as tomorrow its my understand that one day out you forfeit the entire amount. We also have plane tickets that we would forfeit as well. It's his thumb that blistered up pretty bad and he's now on two medications and resting it off. I'm trying to pray about it to help with the decision. It seems like its always something.

Only 49 more days for us. Getting more and more excited. We made our final payment today. Can't wait to see POR for myself. I keep hearing all these lovely things about it. :tink:

Only 49 more days for us. Getting more and more excited. We made our final payment today. Can't wait to see POR for myself. I keep hearing all these lovely things about it. :tink:

We paid ours off today too!!! POR has become our second home....I hope you have a magical trip!

Why no Holiday activities yet, Andre? Is that normal?

Yep, normally they are on a separate activity sheet. See previous years' sheets at http://www.portorleans.org/recreation-schedules.php for an idea of what they tend to do.

For example, for 2012:

POR-Rec-2012-Xmas.jpg

Andre

Thanks Sue, Venomhatch, and Andre for the well wishes. My son hurt his hand by getting his finger infected. It swelled up pretty nasty and we had to take him to ER to get drained. He plays in the youth symphony here in KC and was suppose to try out for all state this weekend while we were gone. Now we are just trying to battle whether or not he will be ok and if its ok to leave him. He has two sisters which are very responsible but one can't help of thinking of worst case scenarios. We are two days out now and if we should cancel we would have to do it today and take penalities as tomorrow its my understand that one day out you forfeit the entire amount. We also have plane tickets that we would forfeit as well. It's his thumb that blistered up pretty bad and he's now on two medications and resting it off. I'm trying to pray about it to help with the decision. It seems like its always something.

:sad2: oh no!! I know it's a worry leaving him, but if his sisters are responsible, I think it's ok to go. I'm sure you'll be checking in with them daily, to make sure all is well! And if you have other family in town, or a close friend who they can contact while your away would prob ease you some.
I hope you go and have a great trip :goodvibes

Yep, normally they are on a separate activity sheet. See previous years' sheets at http://www.portorleans.org/recreation-schedules.php for an idea of what they tend to do.

For example, for 2012:

POR-Rec-2012-Xmas.jpg

Andre

Ah, gotcha. I only had last year's for reference, when we were there, and it was incorporated in the main calendar. I guess we wait. We Disney fanatics are not a patient bunch!

Thanks again for posting. No one else seems to have it up at all. I may, or may not, have been stalking a few sites. Just sayin'. :rolleyes1

I have come to these threads so many times for help with answering questions or just to get excited about our stays! I have to say that we have been blessed by being able to stay at many of the resorts around Disney, including the GF, WL, etc., and POR and POFQ have been where, overall, we have found the nicest, most welcoming CMs. :goodvibes

I have never made any special room requests, however this year I am going to give it a try. My DH pinched a nerve in his neck while demonstrating a roll block while volunteering as a coach for our DGS's football team. :eek: (DH forgets he is 60, LOL) So, while he is somewhat improved (I thought we might have to cancel for awhile there) he is still on a TENS unit and feels :headache: by the end of the day.

When I booked our reservation, the only category available to us was Garden View. I would certainly be willing to pay the upgrade for preferred or whatever is necessary to make him more comfortable, but have gotten nowhere with the nice folks at Central Reservations. (Nothing else available with the free dining package we have.)

Aside from the fax request, is there a better way to go about this? I am afraid to just hope for the best with this particular situation. My DH will be a trooper and not complain, but we will all be worried about him. There are 5 of us so we need a room in the AB section.

I have come to these threads so many times for help with answering questions or just to get excited about our stays! I have to say that we have been blessed by being able to stay at many of the resorts around Disney, including the GF, WL, etc., and POR and POFQ have been where, overall, we have found the nicest, most welcoming CMs. :goodvibes

I have never made any special room requests, however this year I am going to give it a try. My DH pinched a nerve in his neck while demonstrating a roll block while volunteering as a coach for our DGS's football team. :eek: (DH forgets he is 60, LOL) So, while he is somewhat improved (I thought we might have to cancel for awhile there) he is still on a TENS unit and feels :headache: by the end of the day.

When I booked our reservation, the only category available to us was Garden View. I would certainly be willing to pay the upgrade for preferred or whatever is necessary to make him more comfortable, but have gotten nowhere with the nice folks at Central Reservations. (Nothing else available with the free dining package we have.)

Aside from the fax request, is there a better way to go about this? I am afraid to just hope for the best with this particular situation. My DH will be a trooper and not complain, but we will all be worried about him. There are 5 of us so we need a room in the AB section.

Unfortunately, Disney noticed a few years ago, with the moderate resorts, how they could charge for what was once a requested category. Unfortunately, unless you give up free dining to book preferred, you are not going to be able to upgrade unless there is a low attendance that week.

Unfortunately, Disney noticed a few years ago, with the moderate resorts, how they could charge for what was once a requested category. Unfortunately, unless you give up free dining to book preferred, you are not going to be able to upgrade unless there is a low attendance that week.

Well, the good news is that I called this morning to the Central Reservations number on a unrelated accounting issue, and I said, "hey, while we are on the phone, can you check something for me?" and the very nice woman was able to upgrade us to the preferred location--so maybe attendance is low, but either way I am happy, since only yesterday I was told there were no other categories available. Just goes to show that polite persistence can reap results. ;)

I am hoping this helps my DH-- and also helps him change his mind about POR, which he says he doesn't like much ( I know! Blasphemy! LOL) because of the inconvenience of everything. Last time we were "way" in the back (I'm sorry, I just don't find the walking from any point in the resort that big a deal) but one bummer was that our room was right by a smoking area and so that meant not being able to open windows, and the smoke came in through the A/C.

He's a big Deluxe resort guy, and that's fabulous--but to me I would rather go more often while the grands are young rather than every three years to stay at the $$$$$ deluxe resorts.

Oh well. He is entitled to his opinion. As long as I still get my way, that is. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter