Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would have to check (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) but I don't believe there are any pool view rooms on the third floor.

There are four Pool View Royal Rooms on the third floor of Oak Manor, at the end of the central section.

Andre

We arrived at POR today. We sent a fax and got the perfect room. We are in the bayou section, building #18 ground floor. Short walk to the bus and even shorter walk to the food court. We are maybe 70 ft from the quiet pool. There are only 2 of us and we got a trundle bed room for the week. I like having it because the room seems bigger without the dresser and the TV is mounted on the wall. I don't know when they did the remodel but the room looks like it couldn't have been long ago. Everything from the curtains to the tub surround looks brand new. We have stayed here before, but I have to say this is the most pleased I've been with a room here. We are big WL fans, and other than resort location, I am just as happy with the resort. Thank you to the CM's at POR for taking such good care of us, especially those on the DIS that take their free time to guide us through the process of preparing for a POR vacation.:banana:

Good luck! I am hoping for pixie dust too! I do have a garden view, but I would love to be near the river if possible.

We paid for Garden view and got building 18 today. Really nice. When we checked in we told the CM we would rather get our requests if they are doable than get a room that was ready right away.

This is what I was thinking we might do. Why the view upgrade though? I was thinking it wouldn't matter since we won't have a balcony, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for the feedback :)

We do the view upgrade for location, convenience and quiet. Royal rooms for general location, riverview or poolview will keep you a bit closer to the footbridge. We actually even prefer riverview in Parterre as it is closest to POFQ and quieter do to being on the end of the resort while still being close enough to the main building. If you check out the portorleans site or touring plans and look at the maps you can see what I mean.

We've never stayed in the Royal rooms but I upgraded when the Spring Discount was offered. It was the only rooms available and still saved me $200 over the standard room I had booked. My DD is going to be trilled, we didn't tell her we upgraded. Even though she's 15 she is still a Princess at heart. I totally forgot it wouldn't have a ceiling fan. My DH has to sleep with one for the noise. I reminded him of this last night. Luckily we are driving but we're bringing my middle child's wedding dress and youngest's bridesmaid dress too. Not sure we'll be able to fit fan too. I'm going to have to look for a small fan. At home we sleep with a ceiling fan and an osculating fan. We loved having the ceiling fan for the stay in POR and POFQ in 2010 and 2012.

We've never stayed in the Royal rooms but I upgraded when the Spring Discount was offered. It was the only rooms available and still saved me $200 over the standard room I had booked. My DD is going to be trilled, we didn't tell her we upgraded. Even though she's 15 she is still a Princess at heart. I totally forgot it wouldn't have a ceiling fan. My DH has to sleep with one for the noise. I reminded him of this last night. Luckily we are driving but we're bringing my middle child's wedding dress and youngest's bridesmaid dress too. Not sure we'll be able to fit fan too. I'm going to have to look for a small fan. At home we sleep with a ceiling fan and an osculating fan. We loved having the ceiling fan for the stay in POR and POFQ in 2010 and 2012.

I believe people have mentioned there are phone apps with fan noises....

Why the view upgrade though? I was thinking it wouldn't matter since we won't have a balcony, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not sure why people have this thing about needing a balcony to make a view from a window worthwhile. The view is right outside your window, and right there to experience the moment you open the door. Yes, there may be a common walkway outside - but the way the resort is laid out you won't get much foot-traffic going past, especially on upper floor rooms.

As views from a window go, I'd happily pay a bit extra for these:

POR-MB-2013-0004_forum.jpg

POR-MB-2013-0881_forum.jpg

Andre

Where would I go on property to ship a pkg home? Do they provide flat rate boxes/tape?
Will be staying for the first time at POR soon!

Where would I go on property to ship a pkg home? Do they provide flat rate boxes/tape?
Will be staying for the first time at POR soon!

Fulton's General Store will help you ship a package home, but I don't think they provide flat rate boxes - I think it may just be standard rate..... I have brought a few flat rate boxes from home for small things and they have helped me do the rest.

Andre - I have to agree about the entire "angst" thing over not having a balcony. I have had some wonderful rooms, out of the way or riverview on the end with only four rooms and plenty of space to get to them.

With the indentation of the doors, I have often pulled my chair out and sat in the walkway - not disturbing others.

I would rather pay $200.00 a night than $400.00 a night just for a balcony I may only use about an hour or two a day.

Now cruise ships are different, because while you are sailing, it is wonderful - you get full use out of it.

I would rather pay $200.00 a night than $400.00 a night just for a balcony I may only use about an hour or two a day.

See, that's why I don't understand people who say it's not worth it to stay at AKL unless you pay for the savannah view. There are plenty of public areas to view the animals, and how long do you stay in your room anyway? I booked a standard room there back in 2003 when they had a 7 nights for the price of 4 deal, and while I did get upgraded to pool view (even had a little bit of a savannah view off to the right), I was totally OK with booking standard in order to save money.

I'm not sure why people have this thing about needing a balcony to make a view from a window worthwhile. The view is right outside your window, and right there to experience the moment you open the door. Yes, there may be a common walkway outside - but the way the resort is laid out you won't get much foot-traffic going past, especially on upper floor rooms. As views from a window go, I'd happily pay a bit extra for these: Andre

Those are beautiful views! Fingers crossed I can snag one!

Those views do look GREAT! This is our first trip that we have really stayed on-site. From the looks of it the resort looks great. We got one of the Royal rooms with the spring deal too.

Just curious about this (I have my room booked already anyway and dinner reservations) but I went online to check again what the difference between a standard room (what I've booked) and a garden view room was, and I noticed there is no rooms available in any category for the days I'll be at POR. Does that mean that the whole of POR is booked for the 3 days I'm there?(2 thru 5 of May) or is it just a computer glitch type thing. I'm booked and happy with my room and was just curious.

We do the view upgrade for location, convenience and quiet. Royal rooms for general location, riverview or poolview will keep you a bit closer to the footbridge. We actually even prefer riverview in Parterre as it is closest to POFQ and quieter do to being on the end of the resort while still being close enough to the main building. If you check out the portorleans site or touring plans and look at the maps you can see what I mean.
OK that makes sense, thanks!

I'm not sure why people have this thing about needing a balcony to make a view from a window worthwhile. The view is right outside your window, and right there to experience the moment you open the door. Yes, there may be a common walkway outside - but the way the resort is laid out you won't get much foot-traffic going past, especially on upper floor rooms.
I suppose that's true; but we aren't really the type to hang out in the room and look out the windows; normally the drapes stay closed anyway when we're in there because we're either getting ready or going to bed. My husband and I like to sit and have a glass of wine in the evenings on the balcony if we have a room with one, but I don't see us being comfortable doing that leaning on a railing outside our room, especially since our kids will be in the room. Just a personal thing I guess. I can't say I've ever tried it though, so we might surprise ourselves!

we did that just over a year ago and we were pixie dusted to building 14--preferred room. It was about 3 min to food court and 4 min to buses. It was awesome. I am sending some pixie dust your way. :)

This is exactly what happened, it was wonderful!

what building is that view from? I am guessing its from Magnolia?

Those particular views were from Oak Manor 9240/9239 (we had two connecting rooms that trip).

My husband and I like to sit and have a glass of wine in the evenings on the balcony if we have a room with one, but I don't see us being comfortable doing that leaning on a railing outside our room, especially since our kids will be in the room.

You might find you still do that, as there is a slightly angled recessed area outside the rooms which allows you to bring the room chairs outside without blocking the walkway. I quite often see people sitting out in the evenings, sipping a glass of wine and watching the world go by.

Unless you happen to get a room near a central main stairway, there really isn't that much foot-traffic along each specific part of the walkways (especially the upper ones) as there are access paths all around the buildings so people don't need to walk past very many rooms to get to their destination - especially in the Alligator Bayou section.

Not the most elegant of photos, but this gives you an idea of the space:

POR-AB-2008-6574_small.jpg

Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter