Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might find you still do that, as there is a slightly angled recessed area outside the rooms which allows you to bring the room chairs outside without blocking the walkway. I quite often see people sitting out in the evenings, sipping a glass of wine and watching the world go by.

Unless you happen to get a room near a central main stairway, there really isn't that much foot-traffic along each specific part of the walkways (especially the upper ones) as there are access paths all around the buildings so people don't need to walk past very many rooms to get to their destination - especially in the Alligator Bayou section.

Not the most elegant of photos, but this gives you an idea of the space:

POR-AB-2008-6574_small.jpg

Andre

Oh wow! Yeah that's great, I had no idea that space was there! I just get more excited about this place all the time. Thanks for sharing that :)

If we want to stay at FQ and go to see Yehaa Bob one night, do the resorts connect to be able to drive from one to the other? Or is it close enough to walk over and do they connect? I am insisting that the family goes to watch!

If we want to stay at FQ and go to see Yehaa Bob one night, do the resorts connect to be able to drive from one to the other? Or is it close enough to walk over and do they connect? I am insisting that the family goes to watch!

There is a walkway along The Sassagoula River that connects Riverside and French Quarter, and it's very easy to get from one resort to the other. The walk is about 7-10 minutes(? I walked it, but didn't time myself), and it's so scenic!

If we want to stay at FQ and go to see Yehaa Bob one night, do the resorts connect to be able to drive from one to the other? Or is it close enough to walk over and do they connect?

As has been said, it's definitely walkable in 10-15 minutes - as long as it's not pouring with rain it's a very nice stroll, especially in the evening.

You could drive of course if you want (still staying within the Port Orleans grounds) and that might be worth it if your room is at the far end of POFQ - if you don't plan to drink of course.

Andre

I just booked our second trip to Walt Disney World and our first time staying at Port Orleans Riverside. I am really excited as it looks like a great resort. I am traveling with:

Me -40
DW - 36
DD - 16
DS - 12
DD - 7

We will not have a car. What do you think is the one thing that could be an issue as this resort if we didn't know it ahead of time? Thanks for any help you can give me.

What do you think is the one thing that could be an issue as this resort if we didn't know it ahead of time?

Room location would be my vote for one single thing that makes the biggest difference. If you get assigned a room right out at the furthest edges of the resort, it can be quite a hike back and forth from your room to the main areas, food court, etc. OK, so it won't be more than 6-7 minutes maximum, and it's a pleasant walk anyway, but if it's pouring with rain it can seem a lot longer! So requesting a room closer to the middle of things might be a good idea.

Some people may say the buses, but I've honestly never found them a major problem - apart from coming back from the parks immediately after fireworks/park closing. Try to avoid the bus queues at that time if you can (loiter in the park for a bit longer, get a drink or an ice cream and sit and watch the sheep :) ).

Andre

Here now, well got in 5 days ago but wifi is iffy in my room. In a Royal Room in Oak Manor! Got all my room requests :thumbsup2 awsome room assignors, even down to a corner room.
Although this is our 5th stay here, we've never had a Royal Room! I feel like a kid, I'm constantly pushing the headboard button :rotfl:

Weather was pretty chilly yesterday, and today was a cold start. But warmed up mid day.

There were 2 tour groups here for a few days. I think they left yesterday but didn't affect us at all. Rarely saw them, and when I did they were very well behaved.

Made adr for Boatwrights this week, must try the shrimp & grits!

Mike great pic!! As always. I wish mine were as good, your composition is so well done.

I'm not sure why people have this thing about needing a balcony to make a view from a window worthwhile. The view is right outside your window, and right there to experience the moment you open the door. Yes, there may be a common walkway outside - but the way the resort is laid out you won't get much foot-traffic going past, especially on upper floor rooms.

As views from a window go, I'd happily pay a bit extra for these:

POR-MB-2013-0004_forum.jpg

POR-MB-2013-0881_forum.jpg

Andre

This is just a few doors down from where we are now. Love that view!!

Just changed my reservation from Pop to Riverside :cheer2::. I'm traveling solo from Feb 27 - Mar 3. This will be my 2nd stay at Riverside so I'm counting the days :hourglass until my arrival. Yay!!!!

Room location would be my vote for one single thing that makes the biggest difference. If you get assigned a room right out at the furthest edges of the resort, it can be quite a hike back and forth from your room to the main areas, food court, etc. OK, so it won't be more than 6-7 minutes maximum, and it's a pleasant walk anyway, but if it's pouring with rain it can seem a lot longer! So requesting a room closer to the middle of things might be a good idea.

Some people may say the buses, but I've honestly never found them a major problem - apart from coming back from the parks immediately after fireworks/park closing. Try to avoid the bus queues at that time if you can (loiter in the park for a bit longer, get a drink or an ice cream and sit and watch the sheep :) ).

Andre

Thats our rule as well. Either leave before the fireworks, which we rarely do:) So we will do some shopping or find a seat with a snack and watch everyone rushing to the exits to stand and wait for transportation, and that includes buses, boats and monorail.

We've never stayed in the Royal rooms but I upgraded when the Spring Discount was offered. It was the only rooms available and still saved me $200 over the standard room I had booked. My DD is going to be trilled, we didn't tell her we upgraded. Even though she's 15 she is still a Princess at heart. I totally forgot it wouldn't have a ceiling fan. My DH has to sleep with one for the noise. I reminded him of this last night. Luckily we are driving but we're bringing my middle child's wedding dress and youngest's bridesmaid dress too. Not sure we'll be able to fit fan too. I'm going to have to look for a small fan. At home we sleep with a ceiling fan and an osculating fan. We loved having the ceiling fan for the stay in POR and POFQ in 2010 and 2012.

If I'm not mistaken, and Andre can correct me if I am but I believe that the resort actually has some box fans available if you ask.

If I'm not mistaken, and Andre can correct me if I am but I believe that the resort actually has some box fans available if you ask.

Actually, I have no idea on that one, it's not a question I ever thought to ask as we just use the provided air con. They might have fans to loan out, but I can't confirm one way or the other.

Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter