Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

The Boeing MAX planes in SW’s fleet are still grounded, so they’ve had to shuffle their schedule. They’re offering the option to switch as both a good will gesture and perhaps to help balance demand.
Is it likely my “red banner” flight will be cancelled? I am flying at the end of September no on a Max 8...

Is it likely my “red banner” flight will be cancelled? I am flying at the end of September no on a Max 8...
I don't think so. I think flight cancellations have been few and far between considering the number of flights SW handles in a day.

We have mid-Sep flights booked and I'm not at all concerned about them being cancelled.

Hard to tell if they will be back in service anytime soon. there are 148 parts that need to be changed out. Software needs upgraded, investigators need to agree on a cause for both crashes which can take along time, FAA has to sign off as to if it is airworthy, and pilots need to be trained. In the event your flight gets cancelled they will move you to another flight.

Of course our flight is 9/3 (the first day they are on the schedule) and it’s on a Max. I haven’t purchased yet since I fear outright cancelation vs different plane. Guess it’s time to start looking at MKE instead of MDW to get a night nonstop. Sigh.

This is probably a dumb question but how can you tell what type of plane your flight is?

I know it's usually cheaper to fly on a holiday versus the day before or after. Has anyone flown on Memorial Day? Were the rates cheaper than waiting until after? Planning a trip for 2020 and debating about flying on Monday, Memorial Day, or waiting until Tuesday morning after. Of course, Southwest won't release flights for next year for ages, and I'm getting ready to book my resort.

I know it's usually cheaper to fly on a holiday versus the day before or after. Has anyone flown on Memorial Day? Were the rates cheaper than waiting until after? Planning a trip for 2020 and debating about flying on Monday, Memorial Day, or waiting until Tuesday morning after. Of course, Southwest won't release flights for next year for ages, and I'm getting ready to book my resort.
I'm not sure this is the case. I just put my regular route (Buffalo-Orlando) into the SW fare calendar and when I look at all of the holidays for the remainder of 2019 (4th of July, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day), the only day that the fares are less expensive on the actual holiday is Thanksgiving. In all other cases the fares are less expensive before and/or after the holiday. Personally, I would not book my trip around flying on the holiday as I'm not convinced you'll find the fare to be less.

On the other hand, it does appear that Tuesdays are often less than other days. You might want to look at the existing fare calendar for your flight's airports and see if you see a trend that might be helpful.

I haven't flown on Memorial Day, but I don't think you'll see much of a price break considering a lot of people will use that day to fly back from wherever they went for their 3-day weekend. I think Thanksgiving and Christmas tend to be more holidays that people would much rather be at their destination than traveling on.

So Southwest nightmare out of BWI yesterday. We had 11:00am flight scheduled and received a text from SWA at 4:32 am informing me flight was cancelled and directing me to reschedule online via a link they provided. Link did not work just kept giving me an error message and directing me to call SWA. So called SWA spent 14 min on hold and by time agent answered most flights were no longer available finally she was able to get us on a 2:00pm flight. So get to airport 2 hrs early. tSA pre check line is closed! Notice huge piles of luggage piled up in several places and then hear that due to flooding on lower levels of airport the auto belts that move all the luggage are not working. Flight is late loading and then after everyone has boarded plane they inform us that plane can’t leave until luggage is loaded and so we sat on plane about 45 min waiting for them to get luggage out to plane and loaded. BTW I was told the plane was cancelled due to “mechanical difficulties” then met a family whose flight had also been cancelled due to “mechanical issues”. Then on Magical express bus there was a family whose flight out of BWI had been cancelled and they were told they would have to fly out of Regan Natl Airport so they drove there and now their car is parked there and their return flight is coming back to BWI.

So Southwest nightmare out of BWI yesterday. We had 11:00am flight scheduled and received a text from SWA at 4:32 am informing me flight was cancelled and directing me to reschedule online via a link they provided. Link did not work just kept giving me an error message and directing me to call SWA. So called SWA spent 14 min on hold and by time agent answered most flights were no longer available finally she was able to get us on a 2:00pm flight. So get to airport 2 hrs early. tSA pre check line is closed! Notice huge piles of luggage piled up in several places and then hear that due to flooding on lower levels of airport the auto belts that move all the luggage are not working. Flight is late loading and then after everyone has boarded plane they inform us that plane can’t leave until luggage is loaded and so we sat on plane about 45 min waiting for them to get luggage out to plane and loaded. BTW I was told the plane was cancelled due to “mechanical difficulties” then met a family whose flight had also been cancelled due to “mechanical issues”. Then on Magical express bus there was a family whose flight out of BWI had been cancelled and they were told they would have to fly out of Regan Natl Airport so they drove there and now their car is parked there and their return flight is coming back to BWI.
TBH this sounds a lot like a BWI issue not necessarily a SWA issue though it sounds like it wasn't a good experience traveling yesterday :( (though the link not working def. sucks when you're needing it to!)

Mechanical difficulties can be the actual descriptor for a particular plane and it can also be used to cover a wider variety of issues. It's possible they cancelled your flight because they needed the plane for other passengers who could have been stranded or otherwise inconvenienced by the flooded airport but I wouldn't expect an airline to announce that to the passengers of the flight that was cancelled.

Recently my husband told me of the huge backup at LAX due to a power outage that happened the day before. He said it was an absolute zoo at the airport even moreso than normal with people for sure people having spent the night at the airport. Luckily he was flying out when things were starting to get back to normal.

My husband just flew back on Memorial Day but unfortunately I can't give you good advice on it because he doesn't book his tickets when he's traveling for business months and months before.

For Memorial Day I know he booked a bit earlier than normal maybe 5 or 6 weeks out rather than the normal 2 weeks or so out and that was because pricing was getting quite high.

It's really hard to guess for you unfortunately but I do agree with others in terms of holidays Memorial Day isn't quite the same as flying back on Thanksgiving or Christmas. I wouldn't want to personally chance some travel delay (especially during wintertime) for Thanksgiving or Christmas but a travel delay (at least a normal one) wouldn't be the end of the world if flying on Memorial Day so I'd be more likely to fly on that day and avoid flying on Thanksgiving or Christmas if I could.

Does anyone know why SW would change a flight number but keep everything else the same?

I got a message that there was a change to my flight and all that changed was the flight number. The departure and arrival times are the same. :confused3

There have been reports that there were so many families on a flight that the gate agents did not do family boarding

Fly multiple times a month and have witnessed this but it's been around a year since the last time. Even though I board early I still hear them call out family boarding will be after A.

We would be flying out of MIdway too! Normally we fly out of O'hare, so it's all going to be new to me if we fly Southwest.

Depending where you are at in the area you might want to check out MKE. It's a breeze to get through and cheaper parking ($4/day off site at the Crowne Plaza).

Guess it’s time to start looking at MKE instead of MDW to get a night nonstop. Sigh

Personally MKE is a great airport although if you live right by midway I could see the issue.

Does anyone know why SW would change a flight number but keep everything else the same?

I got a message that there was a change to my flight and all that changed was the flight number. The departure and arrival times are the same. :confused3
I believe they have been doing this, due to the MAX 8 situation.

I got an email with the exact same change to one of my flights. I don't believe my flight was on a Max either.

Travel journalist Peter Greenberg is saying not to expect the MAX back in the air till early 2020.
yep. I've heard and read of others predicting that too. I keep the page (link) as an open tab on my laptop that I refresh at least daily. I have seen the date pushed back and expect more of those updates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter