Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

9000 points is a lot of points. I think you get more bang for your buck if you pay the $85.

I just looked online and a $99 trip would only cost me 5,515 points. Paying cash for TSA PreCheck is definitely better than paying for it with points.
They are many out there who have hundreds of thousand of RR points sitting in their accounts (I know someone like that). They are those who fly on the more expensive BS fares for business travel and have A+ status; their balances continue to build, as they don't fly on points. The More Rewards selections offer ways for them to make use of those points. In the past, when I had a sizeable RR balance and elite status, I cashed in points for Disney gift cards and was happy with my transaction.

There are also those who have no travel planned, before their points expire. The More Rewards options work for those customers, as well.

Cashing in points for something other than flights is not for everyone, but there are those who make good use of the option.
I agree with both of you.

Points-wise SWA isn't very good IME with these types of things meaning redemption (including transfering and purchasing of points) on non-flights. That said it will def. work for some who just don't want to pay cash for whatever reason.

Maybe they only have 9,000 pts (or roughly that) and feel it's more worth it that way or yes maybe they have a ton of points to burn. That said my husband has 305,000 RR PTS in his account and counting and even though he's got points to burn we're hoarders and wouldn't see the value paying for TSA Precheck with points because we'd rather use that 9,000 towards a flight in the future. But again I do think there are people who would see the value in it :)

Just got an email from SW about a sale on buying points. However, every time I price out the amount for points versus how much the flight costs, it’s way cheaper to pay cash. For instance, a flight that costs 9,700 points would be $178.50 to buy 10,000 points with the 35% off sale. The flight only costs $148 paying cash though.
Is this typical?

Just got an email from SW about a sale on buying points. However, every time I price out the amount for points versus how much the flight costs, it’s way cheaper to pay cash. For instance, a flight that costs 9,700 points would be $178.50 to buy 10,000 points with the 35% off sale. The flight only costs $148 paying cash though.
Is this typical?
Yes - purchasing points are never a good value, unless you need a small number just to top off your points balance to purchase a ticket.

Does anyone know the current price of Early Bird Check In for your flight? I am flying Buf to MCO during President's week break . I am currently anticipating the flights to open for Feb 2020 and am curious about what to purchase. Over the summer it was $25 per one way to purchase EBCI for my wanna get away flight from BUF to MCO and another $25 returning. I am flying over a high demand time and have a funny feeling that the Wanna Get Away fares will be blocked. If I purchase the Business select (because Priority seating is included) would be cheaper vs. Anytime and purchasing EBCI? TIA

Does anyone know the current price of Early Bird Check In for your flight? I am flying Buf to MCO during President's week break . I am currently anticipating the flights to open for Feb 2020 and am curious about what to purchase. Over the summer it was $25 per one way to purchase EBCI for my wanna get away flight from BUF to MCO and another $25 returning. I am flying over a high demand time and have a funny feeling that the Wanna Get Away fares will be blocked. If I purchase the Business select (because Priority seating is included) would be cheaper vs. Anytime and purchasing EBCI? TIA

I would count on EBCI being $25 each way, until they raise the cost again.

If you want to purchase WGA tickets, I suggest that you purchase on August 15, when the schedule is supposed to be extended into March 2020 (subject to change, as Southwest always says). There are those who sit at their computers before dawn, waiting for the extended schedule to be released for booking.

BS and Anytime fares are extremely high in cost and not worth booking just to get a better boarding position. Usually, you can purchase upgraded boarding positions (quasi BS) at the gate for about $40-$50, subject to availability. That will assign you A-1 - A-15.

It can vary from $15-$25 per person per way as SWA went to dynamic pricing on EBCI not too long ago-I believe factors such as demand for EBCI and route play into the costs.

It does appear anecdotally here on the Boards $25 is the more common amount.

We fly from Buffalo to Orlando a few times a year. EBCI to Orlando is always $25.

Friendly reminder that Southwest Airlines next schedule release is expected to occur on THIS Thursday August 15th.
  • This schedule release was pushed back twice in early July (it was originally supposed to occur on July 10th). Currently SW is offering flights through 1/5/20 and this release (when it finally occurs) will take their schedule out to 3/6/20.
In my experience, flights typically go “live” between 7am and 9am Eastern. The last release actually did not go live on the main search screen until 9:20am Eastern.

Friendly reminder that Southwest Airlines next schedule release is expected to occur on THIS Thursday August 15th.
  • This schedule release was pushed back twice in early July (it was originally supposed to occur on July 10th). Currently SW is offering flights through 1/5/20 and this release (when it finally occurs) will take their schedule out to 3/6/20.
In my experience, flights typically go “live” between 7am and 9am Eastern. The last release actually did not go live on the main search screen until 9:20am Eastern.
I've been waiting for this release myself! It did give us another month to earn SW points, so that was a bonus. I'm hoping they release closer to 7am. Has anyone had any experience with them releasing earlier than 7am?

I've been waiting for this release myself! It did give us another month to earn SW points, so that was a bonus. I'm hoping they release closer to 7am. Has anyone had any experience with them releasing earlier than 7am?
I have flight confirmations from the March 15th release that were emailed to me at 6:20am.

What is the best way to search on release day? Assuming you should login first, and then search from the main page? I've had trouble in the past getting the flights to appear depending on which screen I start from, so hoping to learn from others who may be more frequent users.

What is the best way to search on release day? Assuming you should login first, and then search from the main page? I've had trouble in the past getting the flights to appear depending on which screen I start from, so hoping to learn from others who may be more frequent users.
In the past we've found that they often update the fare calendar first so you may wish to look there first.

On the main page, click here:

On the next page enter your 2 airports. Personally, after that I just click 'Search' and scroll over to see what months are displayed. I've found in the past that I can see new flight openings here and get to those flights when I can't find them by searching the regular way.

Hope this helps!

In the past we've found that they often update the fare calendar first so you may wish to look there first.

View attachment 425653

On the next page enter your 2 airports. Personally, after that I just click 'Search' and scroll over to see what months are displayed. I've found in the past that I can see new flight openings here and get to those flights when I can't find them by searching the regular way.

Hope this helps!
Thank you!!

View attachment 425653

Hope this helps!

Good advice! Thanks!!!

I changed my flight to an earlier time and it dropped my EBCI. It didn't alert me it was going to change anything and I just happened to see a statement about buying the A1-A15 so I called about that. They said it was because I changed the flight and the refund was already processed that day. I could buy the EBCI again but it would be today's date and not from the 2.5 months earlier when I originally booked. I passed.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm wondering if I call back and talk to a supervisor can they back date the EBCI or would I just be told the same thing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter