Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Yesterday I was looking at options for our trip and was given the ability to change my flights within 30 days at no charge. Today when I went to make the change I'm no longer given that option and need to pay the difference in fare. Does anyone know why that option could have disappeared?
The banners come and go, I would keep an eye out. If it’s too close to your trip , maybe call and see if they can help you out?

Yesterday I was looking at options for our trip and was given the ability to change my flights within 30 days at no charge. Today when I went to make the change I'm no longer given that option and need to pay the difference in fare. Does anyone know why that option could have disappeared?
This issue pops up here very frequently. Here is the last time the matter came up on this thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/post-all-sw-questions-concerns-etc-here.2500174/post-61957386

It looks like the red or gray banner (which offers to change a confirmed reservation to within a 30-day window, at no additional cost) mostly appears between Friday-Sunday, or over a three-day period. So, again, if you are seriously thinking of taking advantage of the offer, don't delay; otherwise, it might change to a "Now you see it, now you don't" scenario. Of course, if bookings continue to increase, we don't know when or even if the offer will reappear this year. So far, Southwest has consistently been posting the offer, for different upcoming months.

My August flight has already been changed once and now I see it is listed as “unavailable.” Does anyone know if this means the flight is cancelled or sold out?

We will be cancelling our September trip. I've never outright cancelled a flight without immediately switching to a different flight in the future. How does one cancel a 'wanna get away' flight? Do we get travel funds to use on a a future flight?

We will be cancelling our September trip. I've never outright cancelled a flight without immediately switching to a different flight in the future. How does one cancel a 'wanna get away' flight? Do we get travel funds to use on a a future flight?
You can cancel and you'll get travel funds in that amount for a future flight...however, I believe the travel funds will expire 1 year from date of purchase, not one year from your September flight dates.

You can cancel and you'll get travel funds in that amount for a future flight...however, I believe the travel funds will expire 1 year from date of purchase, not one year from your September flight dates.
what happened to travel funds being issued a date of Sept 7, 2022?

It's totally up to you but if your flights are after Sep 7, 2020 it might be advantageous to wait and cancel your flights later as I'm almost positive Southwest will eventually extend the Sep 7, 2020 cancellation extension date as many people are not comfortable travelling yet.

It's totally up to you but if your flights are after Sep 7, 2020 it might be advantageous to wait and cancel your flights later as I'm almost positive Southwest will eventually extend the Sep 7, 2020 cancellation extension date as many people are not comfortable travelling yet.
Good point! Our flight is shortly after Sept. 7th, so we can wait. Are you still hopeful for your trip? We're both Canadian, and have the same worries. We have a hotel reservation that has to be cancelled before the end of June in order to get a refund, so we have to make a final decision within the next 2 weeks. :(

Lucky for us our WDW trip is 9/8-12 and with the new cancellation policy we can wait up til the last minute! ( or 5 days prior if you count our back up UO trip!!!! Lol)

Good point! Our flight is shortly after Sept. 7th, so we can wait. Are you still hopeful for your trip? We're both Canadian, and have the same worries. We have a hotel reservation that has to be cancelled before the end of June in order to get a refund, so we have to make a final decision within the next 2 weeks. :(
We are fully expecting that we will need to cancel our trip eventually but for now are holding onto hope that it will somehow still happen. Our trip begins Sep 12 so I'm hoping the flight cancellation date is extended as I don't think we currently qualify for the Sep 2022 extension if we cancel our flights.

Like you @CJK we normally immediately switch to new flights but this time will be different with all the unknowns including border closure, travel insurance, possible quarantine once home, etc. not even including will I feel safe going to the parks.

Like so many others were taking everything one day at a time.

Reactions: CJK
We are fully expecting that we will need to cancel our trip eventually but for now are holding onto hope that it will somehow still happen. Our trip begins Sep 12 so I'm hoping the flight cancellation date is extended as I don't think we currently qualify for the Sep 2022 extension if we cancel our flights.

If you cancel before September 7th, your travel finds will qualify. Doesn’t matter when you purchased the flight. This is from SW’s Coronavirus info page

DFD1D14E-23F3-491C-A900-670D56C42378.png

My August flight has already been changed once and now I see it is listed as “unavailable.” Does anyone know if this means the flight is cancelled or sold out?

I saw the same thing for one of the dates I’m looking at. Personally I think it means sold out because I have seen sold out flight show new availability after a while. They are limiting the number of seats sold, so more flights may start showing unavailable sooner.

I saw the same thing for one of the dates I’m looking at. Personally I think it means sold out because I have seen sold out flight show new availability after a while. They are limiting the number of seats sold, so more flights may start showing unavailable sooner.
I hope that’s what it is. I see now that the red banner offering me to change the flight is there. Haven’t received any email though.

I just received an email saying you can save 45% on points. Is that a good deal to just help build up points?

I just received an email saying you can save 45% on points. Is that a good deal to just help build up points?

I got this email, too. I was wondering the same thing. Usually it's not a good deal, but this discount rate is high. I've purchased points before if I've needed a few, as the cheapest way to buy a ticket.

I got this email, too. I was wondering the same thing. Usually it's not a good deal, but this discount rate is high. I've purchased points before if I've needed a few, as the cheapest way to buy a ticket.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/buy-southwest-points-offer/
Edited to add - I know that this is not the 30% points deal that he mentioned in January, but I figured that it would help to have his frame of reference on buying Southwest points.

There are fairly recent reports that Southwest will issue LUV vouchers for EBCI on cancelled bookings. I think you have to nicely place the request. Unlike travel funds, the vouchers can be used by anyone, not just by the person named on the reservation.
Hi Shoreward - just wanted to send you a thank you! I did as you suggested, nicely placing a request by email, and today I received a $100 LUV voucher for our EBCI. Really happy, since I know we'll use it when things are less unknown. Sad we had to cancel our trip, but nice to not lose the EBCI costs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter