Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

If you cancel your flights now, the travel funds will show in each person’s RR account, as long as their account number is attached to their reservation. Initially, the expiration date of the funds will show as one year from the date of original booking. However, within about 24 hours, the expiration date will change to 09/07/2022. At that point, you either can elect to convert to RR points, or leave the funds, as is. Note - if you book a trip using funds due to expire on 09/07/2022, but end up cancelling the flight(s), you will no longer retain the 2022 expiration date; the funds will revert to an expiration date of one year, from date of booking.

If you cancel your flights now, the travel funds will show in each person’s RR account, as long as their account number is attached to their reservation. Initially, the expiration date of the funds will show as one year from the date of original booking. However, within about 24 hours, the expiration date will change to 09/07/2022. At that point, you either can elect to convert to RR points, or leave the funds, as is. Note - if you book a trip using funds due to expire on 09/07/2022, but end up cancelling the flight(s), you will no longer retain the 2022 expiration date; the funds will revert to an expiration date of one year, from date of booking.

Thank you for clarifying!

A sort of non-SW question for the SW experts...

Has anyone flown Jet Blue using their points? How does the booking process compare to SW?

I’ve only ever booked SW flights using points before, but JetBlue just started non-stop flights from PHL to MCO, and they’re less points.
Usually I transfer my Chase UR points to SW for flight booking, because I love how I can cancel and still get those points back (as Rapid Rewards points).
I’m thinking of transferring some UR points to Jet Blue to book flights for April, but what will happen if I want to change or cancel? Do I get the points back?
Also, if anyone would like to tell me how JetBlue compares to SW as a flight experience, I’d appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any help or opinions!

Roomier seating, TV screens on every seat back, better snacks. I fly SWA almost exclusively but really enjoy the occasional trip on Jet blue!

Roomier seating, TV screens on every seat back, better snacks. I fly SWA almost exclusively but really enjoy the occasional trip on Jet blue!
Thank you! Do you know that-if booked on points- if I cancel and change, will I get the points fully refunded? I can’t tell bc of the Covid policies listed on their web site what the normal policy is.

Sorry don’t know, I always pay $ for JB flights. Be aware, no free checked bags. When I use JB, it’s carry on only. Not worth it if I have to pay for bags.

Thank you! Do you know that-if booked on points- if I cancel and change, will I get the points fully refunded? I can’t tell bc of the Covid policies listed on their web site what the normal policy is.
Their normal policy, pre-Covid, was to assess a cancellation fee. Unfortunately, it's not like SW.

Their normal policy, pre-Covid, was to assess a cancellation fee. Unfortunately, it's not like SW.
Darn! Still liking them as a back up option, but SW will still be my go-to because of flexibility.

Some interesting things are happening- United, AA, and Delta just made changes to their flight change policies by eliminating fees. So, maybe JetBlue will follow suit.
I saw this! Kind of exciting!

Some interesting things are happening- United, AA, and Delta just made changes to their flight change policies by eliminating fees. So, maybe JetBlue will follow suit.

They are all seriously losing new business to SW. Under the current conditions, people have been changing to SW, just so they don't have to deal with the change fees. Once one of the legacy carriers caved (Delta yesterday) the others had to follow suit as well.

Steve

Bookings using points are always 100% refundable back to your RR account. The taxes, which can't be paid with points, are also refundable; just make sure to check the refund option from the drop-down box. Otherwise, the taxes will be held as a travel fund credit. If your fare goes down in cost, the difference in points will be refunded back to your RR account.

I wanted to chime back in after a rather lengthy absence (aside from one or two comments) from this thread. We haven't had any travel plans for me to use this thread :(

Months ago I posted about our concern for our October 2020 travel funds for my husband. We had a trip in April that used up a portion of those funds. We cancelled that trip (couldn't go to Vegas anyways during that time as it was shut down and we were under a stay at home order in my area) and for the longest time it had the expiration date of October 2020.

When we cancelled our flight we expected the expiration date to stay at October 2020 because it wasn't a newly created travel fund, SWA"s wording was always kinda hard to decipher exactly what it meant; I remember a lot of discussion about that here on this thread when they first released what they would be doing. It took a few months but my husband noticed that one day it was October 2020 and the next day those funds used in April updated with a September 7th, 2022 expiration date.

So that was great!...but we still had a bit of travel funds that had not been used for that April trip that were initially created in October 2019 and had that October 2020 date.

My husband called the dedicated A-list number:
  • The customer service representative confirmed the system was doing it correctly in adjusting the expiration date of the funds used in April because we had a flight booked that we needed to cancel during the window SWA had listed.
  • My husband asked the customer service rep if SWA was going to extend or be able to extend those other travel funds with the expiration date of October 2020. The rep said unfortunately no that wasn't in the plans right now to automatically extend those.
  • In the end we were able to have our other leftover funds with an expiration date originally of October 2020 end up with an expiration date of September 2022 (which we were very happy about though we didn't expect it) as the rep advised us of a way that wasn't official SWA advise nor something that he could advise every single person to do and was only when my husband politely inquired about there being any way. I know I'm awful for posting that teaser but I don't want to start blabbing a work around that SWA hasn't authorized to be published and used by all. I don't want to get us in trouble either. BUT you may be able to figure it out on your own ;) and some posters (I haven't read through the recent pages) maybe have already done it/mentioned it.

We're still debating point conversions.

I think SWA has really tried to be as accommodating as possible here and we would have accepted it if we would have lost out on all that $ but it still would have stung that's for sure.

Well when you need travelers who may be more strapped cash than normal in an environment (COVID-era) that really requires change on the fly you sorta realize that some of those fees you used to charge..may not be the best idea.

I'm not sure though there would have been as much push though if SWA wasn't already existing in this environment with no change fees so probably another win for the "SWA effect" :)

I wanted to chime back in after a rather lengthy absence (aside from one or two comments) from this thread. We haven't had any travel plans for me to use this thread :(

Months ago I posted about our concern for our October 2020 travel funds for my husband. We had a trip in April that used up a portion of those funds. We cancelled that trip (couldn't go to Vegas anyways during that time as it was shut down and we were under a stay at home order in my area) and for the longest time it had the expiration date of October 2020.

When we cancelled our flight we expected the expiration date to stay at October 2020 because it wasn't a newly created travel fund, SWA"s wording was always kinda hard to decipher exactly what it meant; I remember a lot of discussion about that here on this thread when they first released what they would be doing. It took a few months but my husband noticed that one day it was October 2020 and the next day those funds used in April updated with a September 7th, 2022 expiration date.

So that was great!...but we still had a bit of travel funds that had not been used for that April trip that were initially created in October 2019 and had that October 2020 date.

My husband called the dedicated A-list number:
  • The customer service representative confirmed the system was doing it correctly in adjusting the expiration date of the funds used in April because we had a flight booked that we needed to cancel during the window SWA had listed.
  • My husband asked the customer service rep if SWA was going to extend or be able to extend those other travel funds with the expiration date of October 2020. The rep said unfortunately no that wasn't in the plans right now to automatically extend those.
  • In the end we were able to have our other leftover funds with an expiration date originally of October 2020 end up with an expiration date of September 2022 (which we were very happy about though we didn't expect it) as the rep advised us of a way that wasn't official SWA advise nor something that he could advise every single person to do and was only when my husband politely inquired about there being any way. I know I'm awful for posting that teaser but I don't want to start blabbing a work around that SWA hasn't authorized to be published and used by all. I don't want to get us in trouble either. BUT you may be able to figure it out on your own ;) and some posters (I haven't read through the recent pages) maybe have already done it/mentioned it.

We're still debating point conversions.

I think SWA has really tried to be as accommodating as possible here and we would have accepted it if we would have lost out on all that $ but it still would have stung that's for sure.
People are using their travel funds with non-Sep 7, 2022 to book a flight and then cancelling that flight. That gives their travel funds a Sep 7, 2022 expiration date but it needs to happen quickly as currently the offer of extension to Sep 7, 2022 are for those who cancel flights before Sep 7, 2020.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter