Pregnant youtuber denied boarding on Disney Cruise

She was forced to wait outside in the Miami heat with her kids while they sorted out luggage?

She couldn't wait inside the terminal somewhere? She couldn't take her kids somewhere and come back?

We have a friend who is a cop at the port. We were told 2 of the men were threatening the staff and becoming verbally abusive, which is why they were asked to leave the premises. Of course they didn't film THIS. They filmed what they wanted to.

If posters wouldn't vaguely title threads, maybe there wouldn't be as many duplicate threads on topics. Hard to know that "DCL on local news" has anything to do with that story from perusing the thread titles. I was looking for the DIS reaction to this story the other day and it took me a while to find the thread.
Because, shockingly, it is a link to a news story about DCL. So sorry if the title is not up to your standards.

Because, shockingly, it is a link to a news story about DCL. So sorry if the title is not up to your standards.

Excuse me-- I just indicated that a vague title is what led to the OP of this thread starting a new one. He/She may have looked to see if anyone on the DIS was talking about this incident and your thread title didn't register because "DCL on local news" could mean a lot of things-- including a review by a local reporter, maybe you live in a DCL port area and it was local news coverage about an upcoming cruise, etc.
No need to feel personally offended. No offense was meant, just that your thread title was not as specific and leading to this pregnant woman's story as this current thread which is why there are now 2 threads.

Okay, shocker. I am team Disney on this one. Even proud of Disney for enforcing the rules.
1. She is a vlogger and looking for drama
2. She came with a doctor's note saying that she could travel (Indication that she knew there would be an issue. I would go even further and say that she knew going in that she was not complying with the rules but thought she could either get through anyway or get a "great" video.)
3. Makes no sense that the entire extended family would skip the cruise... unless they had ulterior motives.
4. Duh, it's a port, a point of entry, there are armed guards, which is a good thing.
5. Getting so tired of people who think they don't have to follow the rules. If you read the comments on that article, I think everyone else out there is tired of it too.

Okay, shocker. I am team Disney on this one. Even proud of Disney for enforcing the rules.
1. She is a vlogger and looking for drama
2. She came with a doctor's note saying that she could travel (Indication that she knew there would be an issue. I would go even further and say that she knew going in that she was not complying with the rules but thought she could either get through anyway or get a "great" video.)
3. Makes no sense that the entire extended family would skip the cruise... unless they had ulterior motives.
4. Duh, it's a port, a point of entry, there are armed guards, which is a good thing.
5. Getting so tired of people who think they don't have to follow the rules. If you read the comments on that article, I think everyone else out there is tired of it too.

Regarding 3, see also 1. :D

I saw my doctor at 24 weeks and there was NO indication that my pregnancy was anything other than totally normal and completely uncomplicated....until I started preterm labor a week later. A doctor isn't a psychic. He/she cannot know in advance about any complications that might present themselves going forward. My preterm labor pregnancy was my SECOND pregnancy. My first had no complications and baby delivered at term. There was no reason to think the second pregnancy would progress the way it did. I was completely healthy, not overweight, and had no other health issues. I was 27 years old at the time.

I went into preterm labor at 25 weeks. Needed to be hospitalized and put on terbutaline drip for 24 hours. Sent home on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy. Baby was born at 36 weeks after water broke.

Pregnancy is unpredictable for MANY people and cruise lines cannot take a chance that a woman with a viable baby at 25 weeks or later goes into labor aboard the ship. This stuff happens way too quickly for a cruise ship to respond. I luckily lived 5 min away from the hospital. If I had not gone in when I did, I could have gone into full blown labor within an hour and delivered at that point.

I have no sympathy for people who don't do their research and at the very least, read the MAJOR published rules of the cruise they are about to embark on.

I second this. I was 20 weeks pregnant and went into pre-term labor (this was 24 years ago). I was also put on terbutaline to stop the labor. Sent home with it in pill form to take every 4 hours around the clock. Also on bed rest. My little bugger ended up being a week late. Thank God I was close enough to a hospital to get the help I needed or I wouldn't have my beautiful almost 25 yr old daughter. My pregnancy up to that point was completely normal. You never know when something is going to happen. A family vacation - even if it is a Disney cruise is not worth the risk.

I was surprised to understand how much DCL sticks to policy but it sounds like it is an industry-wide standard and she would have been denied if it was on a different line as well. Also I read an article that her biggest issue was the military guy in guns that scared her and her family.... this was supposedly her excuse for putting up a big stink.... I don't buy it and I am glad Disney stayed consistent with policy. Also impressed with the fact that they refunded her cruise even though arguably she lied on the check-in documents.

Funny that this happens to a YouTuber who just happened to be filming and managed to get a huge bump in popularity from the fallout of it, isn't it?

Just reminds me a bit too much of Balloon Boy.

When I learned she was a YouTuber (as mentioned in the article in the other post) I simply refused to give her a single view or click. Though I did go to Local10's FB to read the comments on the article, and that was a fun time LOL. Good stuff if anyone is inclined to peruse. The pregnant woman's brother went on there to make several posts, including saying she was 23 weeks pregnant, not 24...even though someone posted a screen shot of her 24 weeks vlog dated 3/25. Her brother also claimed that they were raising a big stink because DCL doesn't care about their guests, and left people's SSN exposed for others to see. HOW that happened, I don't know, because I don't even recall ever giving DCL my SSN to sail. His complaints, were all over the place.

I'm glad DCL enforced their policies. I wish they'd do the same in the parks, but that's another Pandora's Box that I won't open.

My husband and I cruised when I was 21 weeks on RCCL. I researched the policy before we ever booked the cruise. I did speak to my dr about it and I asked him to provide a note stating my due date and that I was cleared to cruise. I wanted it in case I was asked. He would only provide it if there were no sea days (there weren't). I never needed the letter, but his opinion on it was that cruising with days at sea can make a simple issue during pregnancy become a big one. Shortly after we returned, there was a couple who cruised at 23 weeks (or so they claimed). The baby was born at sea and luckily survived several hours before they were able to return back to the Port of Miami. I remember the dr on the news suggesting that her due date was wrong and she was likely 25-26 weeks. But the baby did have complications and the couple lived in South Florida until they could bring the baby home several months later.

This story is all over FB, too. Apparently she is deleting any negative comments on her Twitter account and her YouTube.

Interesting responses. It simply never occurred to me there would be issues about cruising while pregnant. BUT I also never really traveled during my 4 pregnancies and they were relatively normal for the most part. Just not something that ever occurred to me. But reading the responses totally was enlightening. Of course there are issues! Of course pre term labor would be a big issue! Big ole duh moment for me. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter