Price increase rumors?

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by mshanson3121, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Yassdvclb

Yassdvclb Mouseketeer

I took advantage of the dvc discount for 13 month passes. I don’t know if they do that every year but def nice.

BigRed98 likes this.
  2. gap2368

gap2368 DIS Veteran

no, they have not done this in the last few years at least.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. DisFanDad

DisFanDad Mouseketeer

Attendance is down significantly from what I understood. A couple % drop over the last couple years. The parks are crowded at certain points, and maybe even more crowded than ever at those points (and those points have shifted) but according to the investor calls for the last couple years, attendance is down quite significantly (I mean, a couple % I guess is significant when you are talking about 10s of millions of visits)

I mean, look at the extent of the promotions they have been offering this year, especially over the summer, stuff that hasn't been seen since Sept 11th, or the market crash, not just on rooms, on tickets, on food and merch, pretty crazy deals (though on massively increased prices of course).

But, as is also noted, revenues are up as per person spending has increased more than attendance has dropped off, so fewer people paying more still = $$$ for Disney.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    mshanson3121 likes this.
  5. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

Disney does not release attendance numbers.

http://www.teaconnect.org/images/files/TEA_235_103719_170601.pdf

According to the TEA numbers (closest estimates we have).

2016 MK - 20,395,000
    2015 MK - 20,492,000
    -.5% decrease

Epcot and AK both saw -.7% drops DHS -.5%

Those drops are not very significant.

LSUlakes likes this.
  6. mshanson3121

mshanson3121 DIS Veteran

It's significant when your competition saw an increase of almost 14%. It's also significant when you consider that the last time MK saw a drop was 9/11, and that there hasn't been a decline in attendance across all global parks - which is what happened in 2016, in over a decade. When the major papers (NY Times etc...) are reporting on the attendance drop, yeah, it's significant.

How lasting is the significance? Hard to say. Will have to see what the 2017 numbers were. But as someone else mentioned, given how many promos etc... they were running, I'm guessing they're still trending downward.

SWRdtWD and ColoradoDisneyFamily like this.
  7. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

though, still good to know. We are debating a trip for 2018 and if we know a price increase is coming it would impact when we would make a final call

Though, we may look to get Military Salute tickets so we also have to keep track of that policy renewing or not and when, etc.

crazy4wdw and mshanson3121 like this.
  8. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I always wondered if that could be a strategy - really jack up the ticket price but then lower the max capacity number by quite a bit ... so this way you pay for less days but can get more done in those fewer days due to lower crowds and Disney still makes the same $ (actually, potentially more as if you get more different people they each probably by some souvenirs each trip so maybe even more $)

STLstone and Jimmy Mouse like this.
  9. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I know this is only anecdotal but from reading a lot of reactions to the DCL price increases it seemed like they really jacked up the prices for the popular weeks/sailings (so when schools are out) and not really that much for the "off" season ... which if Disney follows suit for the parks would mean the tiered pricing variance would become even more drastic

SWRdtWD likes this.
  10. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

well, nothing seems to impact MK crowds too much and AK still will get some crowds from Pandora (at least for a bit). I could see EPCOT being hit while they have their construction going on (outside of weekends during F&WF at least)

rteetz and mshanson3121 like this.
  11. rteetz

There was a drop in tourism overall last year I believe so it wasn’t just MK losing out. Universal has been on a steady increase due to their newer additions. However they are still a long long way from catching MK in terms of attendance.

BigRed98 likes this.
  12. mshanson3121

mshanson3121 DIS Veteran

There's been a drop in tourism for years - Disney typically wasn't affected.

13. rteetz

If we see the drop in 2017 then that is something significant but at this point a .5-.7 drop at each WDW park is not very significant.

14. Jimmy Mouse

Jimmy Mouse My other car is the Monorail

Exactly. We would go for 6-7 days instead of 10+ and get way more done if lines were shorter.

15. Keels

Keels The Official Keels of RunDisney

The crowds I experienced on Wednesday at MK, Epcot and DHS were ... different from what I’ve been used to in past years. It was decidedly foreign - and they were not utilizing MBs, but hard tickets for park entry and FP+s (if they even had them). The standby waits were long, but I could find almost immediate FP+s for everything I wanted to ride at those parks. Also, parking lots are way more crowded with traffic headed to I4 and Kissimmee worse than I remember in the past five years at Christmas. So, they’re not staying onsite ...

rteetz likes this.
  16. VFL

VFL Mouseketeer

Less people inside the parks = less $$$$ spent on merchandise, food and water so I wouldn't count on this strategy ever happening. Disney is about making money, not making parks more enjoyable for us consumers (sadly).

mom2rtk likes this.
  17. OSUZorba

OSUZorba Mouseketeer

I think the biggest issue with this idea is that if you completely price the average family out of WDW, it will start to loose a lot of its appeal. Not to the diehard Disney fans, but if it becomes unattainable to 75% of the country, something else will raise up and take its place as the must do family vacation. Once that happens, a decent chunk of the 25% that can afford will start to loose interest.

At the end of the day, a lot of the Disney appeal to the normal family is marketing and brand reputation.

mshanson3121 likes this.
  18. Lothlórien

Lothlórien Many, many trips since 2001

The projection of an increase is not rumor, it is inevitable. Yes, there is a lot closed down. However, Toy Story Land is opening in 5 months, Star Wars is well on its way along with a host of other attractions. The parks are still crowded, restaurants are still full, etc. Today the pricing may not match the offerings, but that is changing and as long as guests are willing to pay, Disney is willing to take the additional money. ;)

19. Fantasia79

Fantasia79 DIS Veteran

I’m in agreement with most posters. Price increase is an annual event (at least for the time being) even if attendance goes down.

We’ll see some substantial upticks leading up to the opening of the new lands, making a serious bump in ticket price something they can justify easily. Coming on the heels of several years of price increase, they can justify a larger bump than annual increase for new lands and reach the ticket price they really want without seeming like a total Scrooge.

20. Brer Chump

Brer Chump Cousin of the great Zen Philosopher Bosho

Disney and the CM Unions are in contentious contract negotiations with Disney’s latest offer being overwhelmingly rejected. The Union wants a $15/hour minimum wage, Disney offered to raise it to $11 from $10 which was rejected. Disney asked for a federal mediator and negotiations will resume in February. The way it looks is that the CMs will be getting a significant wage increase.

I would expect either a price increase after Disney has an idea of what the new contract will cost them, or another year of two price increases. Once in February and another after the contract is ratified and then they would be able to blame the new contract and the unions for the second price increase.

mshanson3121 likes this.
  21. Mikewarp127

Mikewarp127 Earning My Ears

Does Disney typically announce a price increase before it happens, or do they just spring it on you?