Price increase rumors?

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by mshanson3121, Dec 15, 2017.

1. mshanson3121

mshanson3121 DIS Veteran

Just got the Mouse Savers newsletter mentioning the potential price increase. I know they do it every year, but are there any rumors or speculations floating yet about when/what is coming?

2. tlmadden73

tlmadden73 DIS Veteran

They seem to have come every year around February every year.

With two new lands and tons of additions to MK and Epcot coming, and complaints of it "always been crowded" and parties selling out (aka DEMAND IS STILL VERY HIGH) I would expect them to go up every year. Until consumers stop coming, prices will continue to go up. Maybe there will be a balance where crowds taper off due to increased prices, but they obviously haven't seen that for the past 4-5 years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 1-day peak ticket at MK go up near $150/day by the time the 50 year anniversary hits with similar % price increases to annual passes and Magic Your Way tickets.
    (not to mention the always increases (but not really given the publicity of ticket pries) to hotel prices)

marcyleecorgan likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. mshanson3121

mshanson3121 DIS Veteran

Actually IIRC attendance numbers have dropped. But they raised prices so their profits still rose.

SL6827 likes this.
  5. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

Attendance didn’t drop by a lot though. The parks are still very crowded.

6. Skywise

Skywise DIS Veteran

My AP renewal is coming up and I'm debating if I want to renew... I'm thinking this will be a light year until the new lands open up.

MolonLabe, Savagekids and mrswillson like this.
  7. rteetz

Well Toy Story should open around May.

mshanson3121 likes this.
  8. FastPasser.

FastPasser. DIS Veteran

Reports by non official Disney sources saying that attendance was down significantly were exaggerated.
    That's correct. The Themed Entertainment Association's, aka TEA, best estimate is that attendance was down less than one percent property-wide.
    Yes they are and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

9. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw Co-Moderator, Restaurant Board Moderator

This is fairly typical every year. Everyone starts speculating when the next price increase is coming. For most years, the price increase comes in February. Mousesavers always sends out a notice that a price increase is coming.

However, now tickets have an expiration date (I think all tickets purchased now expire at the end of 2018) so making an advance ticket purchase really doesn't save a lot, especially if your purchasing tickets several years prior to your trip.

SWRdtWD, anomamatt and mshanson3121 like this.
  10. Neptune's Fork

Neptune's Fork DIS Veteran

Do they typically match the rate of inflation for that given year?

11. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

Not usually. Tickets and APs typically go up between 3-9% when they increase.

12. Jimmy Mouse

Jimmy Mouse My other car is the Monorail

I would gladly pay $200 a ticket for lower crowds. Even during the "slow" times, the parks are crowded.

13. mshanson3121

mshanson3121 DIS Veteran

No they typically well exceed it ;)

mrswillson likes this.
  14. marcyleecorgan

marcyleecorgan DIS Veteran

It's not a rumor, it's a guarantee...

DoryGirl1963, SL6827 and mrswillson like this.
  15. mj2vacation

mj2vacation I only work to afford my toys and travel!

I went to the MK at 10 last night. It was one of the most crowded feeling nights that I have ever been there, and that includes NYE 1999-2000

16. mrswillson

mrswillson the duck's biggest fan

Rumor? Disney makes this a guarantee. :snooty:

I am waiting to see what increases are coming as our AP renewal date is mid-February. If they go as steep with increases as DCL this year, I can safely say I will not be purchasing again.

17. tlmadden73

tlmadden73 DIS Veteran

From a business perspective, there is no reason for Disney to NOT raise prices. Supply/demand and all. They don't need a pricen incentive to get people in the door.

Though because of increased ticket prices, they may see consumer cutbacks on their more lucrative profit centers - food, merchandise, hotels. I mean . .if prices continue to go higher, I'll still go, but I definitely will maybe cut a day from my vacation, skip a TS meal, stay offsite, etc.

Once the "base" ticket prices are set, then they can adjust prices on other things to "look" good just using sales and promotions on hotels, merchandise, food or events and such. (The Kohls department store mentality).

WDWFan0813 and mshanson3121 like this.
  18. Jeff Laughlin

Jeff Laughlin Tearin' It Up

To me it's interesting how they'd want to price people out of the parks a bit, but not lose on hotel revenue. I guess it works for right now with the construction going on at CB & CS, but when everything is all done along with the Star Wars resort and whatever elsethey add, where do they expect those people to go, Disney Springs? Or is GE and Toy Story Land going to eat up that much people?

mshanson3121 and mrswillson like this.
  19. SL6827

SL6827 Typhoon Lagoon 2018

When TSL and SWars opens up will that possibly draw crowds from the other parks? If you had no interest in going to the studios, could you experience lesser crowds in other parks?

mshanson3121 likes this.
  20. rteetz

Probably when Star Wars opens but I can’t see toy story making a big difference.

PrincessWithABlaster likes this.
  21. SL6827

SL6827 Typhoon Lagoon 2018

Ok, ya Toy Story probably won't make a big difference. I have no interest what so ever in Star Wars, but if by chance it will lure more people to the studios and away from the other parks, that would be nice. I would like to see Toy Story, but not bad enough to deal with those crowds. But I think we are going to take a few years of just resort vacations. Forgo the parks a bit.