• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Primevial Whirl Test Run......DISappointed

DVCDAVE

Took a ride on this ugly attraction on Thursday, March 21st. This is one UGLY attraction that belongs more in a cheap traveling carnival, then at WDW. In fact the surrounding area is U G L Y !! All that seems to be missing is the smell of deep fryers stinking the whole place up. While the ride itself was somewhat OK, the decor of it has a lot to be desired. It is decorated as some sort of time machine with cheap cut outs painted as nerdy scientists operating light tubes and control panels decorated with hub caps from old cars. I am NOT KIDDING !!! I wouldn't suggest running down to WDW for this ride.

One thing I was glad to see, was the AK park was packed, yet no one seem to be in the stupid carnival kiosks around Primevial Whirl. I guess the old addage of voting with our $ will change that area quick if we don't use it, or better yet boycott it.

I saw the ride last week, although it wasn't open yet. I said the same thing-it is ugly. There is nothing charming or appealing about this ride at all. That whole section is such a disappointment. So did the ride spin the whole time? What exactly goes on within the ride? Thanks!

The ride is a roller coaster that will spin from time to time. It seems to like to spin just before corners and through them. Having only riden it once, I hadn't figured out if the spinning part is random or pre-programed. Some of the roller coaster dips and rises are pretty good, but I particulary don't like roller coasters. My opinion on the ride is not based on the fact that it is a roller coaster, frankly I think it just looks cheaply decorated, out of place, and hideous.........They should have built it at Pop Century Resort, NOT AK .

I like the whole "Mom and Pop Attraction" is cute! BTW, Kennywood Park has a spinning coaster wild mouse, they are great!

I don't know if everyone knows this or not, but I'll write it anyway. Dino-Rama is supposed to look tacky and cheap. The whole story of Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama is that Chester and Hester were local land owners (I believe they owned a gas station) at a small town in Anywhere USA when Dinosaur bones were discovered and immediately, scientists began buying up the land and turning the area into a giant dinosaur dig site. They only folks who didn't sell were - Chester and Hester. Instead, they turned their gas station into a huge souvenir shop and capitalized off the folks coming into the area to get a glimpse of all the dinosaur madness. Chester and Hester enjoyed their success and built a carnival type atmosphere called Dino-Rama right next to their shop in Diggs County.

So, what I'm trying to say is. Everything is supposed to look cheap and carnival like because that is what Chester and Hester would do. Everything is very kitschy and bright and bold. I think it themes very well to they area. It is ugly, and that's exactly how it was planned to be. Cut-outs, being able to see the track, the carnival atmosphere... That's what Disney wanted to do in this mini-land.

anim8or 98 wrote:

QUOTE]Everything is supposed to look cheap and carnival like because that is what Chester and Hester would do. Everything is very kitschy and bright and bold. I think it themes very well to they area. It is ugly, and that's exactly how it was planned to be. Cut-outs, being able to see the track, the carnival atmosphere... That's what Disney wanted to do in this mini-land.[/QUOTE]

IMHO, this is a very convenient way for Disney to do something on the cheap. Lets keep an eye on these guys. I anticipate that we will be seeing more and more backstories which support kitschy!

banzai wrote:

I like the whole "Mom and Pop Attraction" is cute! BTW, Kennywood Park has a spinning coaster wild mouse, they are great!

I think this line speaks volumes about what is wrong with this ride at WDW. EVERYBODY HAS GOT ONE OF THESE RIDES!

I guess I should wait until I see in person to pass judgement......Nah. This whole area is the pits.

Your mileage my vary but my kids HATE wild mouse rides. My 8 year old daughter couldn't wait to get on the BG Williamsburg version. Once the ride started she screamed to get off! LOL! I suspect that was her last wild mouse ride. My 10 year old son won't even think about getting on one. Add to that the fact that we don't do carnival games even if....make that especially if, they are sponsered by Disney. I mean, hell, they are getting our hotel/food/park ticket dollar so you'll excuse me if I don't rush to pad Eisner's bonus. In short, our family will likely skip the entire area on our next trip. Shame......

carl
barrel of laughs

All that seems to be missing is the smell of deep fryers stinking the whole place up.

Ah, well then all they need to perfect the theme is to move the McD fry kiosk down about a hundred yards...I guess the stink doesn't waft quite that far.

The biggest problem with the "theme" (I'm using the term loosely) is that they removed many of the things that made the whole "sudden dino dig site" idea believeable. There is no longer the tent structure housing the bones...no paleontologists at work... That was themeing.

Please, please, please let this nightmare be removed!

I did see the MsD fry kiosk, but honestly couldn't smell it that far away. You wouldn't want me to lie now would you ? Then my credibility would be ruined....... This area is hideous really.......this is not what Walt wanted in his parks. More disgusting is the fact that they are parading around celebrating the 100th birthday of this icon, while opening up this ride that goes against everything this icon stood for. What hipocrates, this management team is.

i think the ride looks really fun, and i also think it is really cool that they added two new rides to animal kingdom. would you rather have them not build anything? i have never been on a crazy mouse ride and i can't wait to go on it when i visit in May! :D

would you rather have them not build anything?

Quite honestly, in this case I would have preferred they built nothing. I don't really care for the Dinosaur attraction (aka Countdown to Extinction) that much either! In fact, I'm not really thrilled that Disney wasted all of that space on dinosaurs in the first place. I would have much preferred that they went the mythical animal route instead (a lot more opportunities for imagination!). I can get my cheap dinosaur thrills up the road at Jurassic Park.

Oh yes, while I'm at it, another thing I wish they had not built....Downtown Disney. Ugh...can you say suburban sprawl. Granted, I'm not much of a shopper but I avoid this place like the plague! Honestly I miss the old Disney Villiage Marketplace which had a much more laid back atmosphere.

all IMHO, of course!:D

carl
barrel of laughs

I saw the jpgs and said "UG-LY" but decided not to pass judgement until I saw it in person. Just got back last night and saw both new rides in operation. Yes, the two year old enjoyed Triceratops spin. But coming over the hill and seeing the view of the Oldengate Bridge ruined by Primevil Whirl directly behind it. And you can also see it from the parking lot. As the prior comment said they strived to make it tacky. Well, they succeeded. I thought to myself, it took them a year to build it....now if they would only tear it down! And I agree with another poster, the money could have been better spent working on the mythological section.

Yes, nothing would be much better than this something. I am happy I have photos of the bridge before this went up in the background. I pray this area has the same fate as the Goosebumps thing that was at MGM.

Hopefully we can someday all laugh about this..."Hey remember when they put that horrible carnival thing in Dinoland? Glad that was torn down fast!"

I agree, nothing is better than this hideous eyesore. This is certainly against Walt's idea of entertainment value.

I couldn't agree more. I'd rather see nothing, than see DR there. I can't say too many times how out of place the whole section is. It just plain doesn't belong! :( :( What happened to all the wonderful plans for AK?? What was wrong with "fixing" the Discovery Riverboat ride?? I'm sure SOMEONE could have come up with something clever to add to the ride to make it cute. What's wrong with going ahead with BK?!?! I don't get it. Do they really think we're going to be satisfied with the new edition and not expect anymore? If so, they don't know us as well as they claim to.
And, I also agree about DTD-enough is enough. I miss the charm of the Marketplace, too.

The whole area of Dinoland USA is supose to be themed to America's love of nostalga (and dinosaurs, of course) so it seems that the Dino-Rama area would seem a natural, somewhat poking fun at the tacky roadside attractions baby boomers visited before Walt Disney dreamed up Disneyland. It is just as nostalgic to todays audience as Main Street USA's Model Ts and Penny Arcade was in the 1950s. As for this being a continuous trend in Imaginiring, of course it will. Disney has been creating carnival rides for years (Tomarowland Speedway, Dumbo, Mad Tea Party, and even Disneyland's acclaimed Flying Saucers) and mosy likely will continue. in the years to come. The parks do need a balence of A through E tickets and that includes having some sort of simple or carnival-style rides that until now Animal Kingdom had been missing.

The whole area of Dinoland USA is supose to be themed to America's love of nostalga (and dinosaurs, of course) so it seems that the Dino-Rama area would seem a natural

Hmmmm....I thought Animal Kingdom was supposed to be themed to Animals. Disney seems to be in the process of abandoning the theme here. Heck, if you are going to do a dinosaur section then do some imaginative dinosaur attractions not mid-20th century tourist trap kitcsh.

Don't get me wrong, I think Disney got off to a GREAT start with Animal Kingdom. It is a beautiful park with a great concept. I'm concerned that in their rush to increase attendance they are going to fill this beautiful space with junky, ill-concieved attractions.

If this is a trend then I think it is an unfortunate trend. The theming is out of place. Its kind of like sitting on the beach at the Poly and hearing the roar of race car engines.

carl
barrel of laughs

I plan to really hold off my opinion on the actual rides til we visit in June.
But, IMHO, I do think the problem began with the "theming". The whole idea of "creating a tacky carnival" is just out of place! :(
When they came up with Big Thunder Mtn RR....you are supposed to be riding a mine car through the mines!! YEA! That works.
In Space Mnt......flying a space ship through space...YEA! That works.
On Tower of Terror ......you are in an elevator. YEA! That works!
Even on Dinosaur....transported back in time to when dinosaurs romed the earth!! YEA! That works too!!!
Disney creates the illusion of being somewhere else, some other time.
But the "carnival" idea is just too close to an actual amusement park or carnival atmosphere in order to fit in with being transported in time or space!!!! :(
We all still have these cheezzy carnivals coming to our towns!!!! Every summer they show up, whether we want them or not.
So why would anyone want to go to something they can see at home when the "Corn Festival" is scheduled!!!:confused:

We do want to see it and ride the rides. And I am sure my DD will like Primeval Whirl, she loves "mouse rides". But I am really wondering how this fits in????

I like the idea of Australia-land. Or Artic!!!

Wow, I don't think I've EVER seen so many Disney fans bash a Disney attraction before!! To me that says VOLUMES about this addition.

I'll share a little story with you all.

The last time I was in Animal Kingdom was in December. I was with 3 friends who are big Disney park fans. They grew up with me in Florida and have been going to the parks since the 70's. They now live out of state and only get down once a year. They don't follow Disney like I do, but love the parks just the same. The probably don't even know who Eisner is lol. They also had no idea about Dinorama and I didn't mention anything to them before we saw it (it was also one persons first trip to AK). When walking into Dinoland they just stopped in their tracks. Comments started right away (mind you this was our last stop in AK. We had already been through Affrica and Aisa) and ranged from "Oh my god, this is UGLY.." "What happened here" "This sure looks tacky" "Gee, this doesn't fit with the rest of this beautiful park" "Looks like Disney ran out of money with this part of the park"

So, its not just people on the DIS that feel this way about Dinorama.

I sure wish we had the Dino Tent back instead of this.

"The whole area of Dinoland USA is supose to be themed to America's love of nostalga (and dinosaurs, of course) so it seems that the Dino-Rama area would seem a natural.."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, thats the problem. Chester and Hesters looks like tacky roadside America. They captures that real well there and I though it fit Dinoland nicely, being back out of sight on its own. Dinorama looks like the current Disney Channel zoog stuff. It doesn't have any nostalgiac feeling to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter