Pulse shooter's original target may have been Disney Springs

They just reported on the Today show that the Orlando shooter originally planned to put a gun in a stroller at DS and was scared off by the police presence there. They have video of him scoping it out. So he went to the nightclub instead. Thank God for the police there!

Dear lord....that makes me ill. Just another tragedy far too close to home. Thank goodness for the police in DS.

I remember a few days after it happened hearing something like this. I could be mistaken on where it was said, but I thought Pete mentioned it on the Podcast that a rumor was the shooter was planning something for Disney but changed his mind.
If I'm wrong about the Dis then I saw it somewhere else online bc I remember talking to DH about it.
Very scary and thank goodness for the Police presence. Too bad he didn't get scared away completely. Such a horrible tragedy.

We were in Disney when this happened, and I too, remember some mention of Disney being his initial target. Glad that the police and security presence at Disney Springs made him change his mind. Only wish he had not gone through with it elsewhere. Such a senseless tragedy.

I heard something similar to this around the time it happened. Does make me concerned security wise for Disney Springs. I feel fine in the parks and of course there’s so much undercover security around the resort but it did make me think about Disney Springs hearing this.

Off topic when my sister asked me last May why when we did a resort hop around the monorail and we got stopped at security at every station (me carrying a newly purchased suitcase that I had to open every compartment and be far behind my family) I didn’t have the heart to tell her. I just couldn’t fathom thinking about something that terrible than only happened miles away while I was on vacation

Given that Disney has apparently known for some time that DS was the original target, I'm shocked they haven't done more with security there. They changed DLR to have DTD in the secure zone over a year ago.

Given that Disney has apparently known for some time that DS was the original target, I'm shocked they haven't done more with security there. They changed DLR to have DTD in the secure zone over a year ago.

You are right! This happened almost 2 years ago. We have visited Disney Springs several times since and there is no visible increased security measures. Not saying Disney hasn't increased it in some capacity, but as a guest I haven't been asked to do anything more than park my car and waltz on in like always.

You are right! This happened almost 2 years ago. We have visited Disney Springs several times since and there is no visible increased security measures. Not saying Disney hasn't increased it in some capacity, but as a guest I haven't been asked to do anything more than park my car and waltz on in like always.
I've heard rumors that DS isn't doing as well as they hoped. I hope they aren't hesitant to do what needs to be done to avoid putting people off. They sure haven't hesitated to step things up in the parks and resorts. It just seems so odd that the original target was DS yet they've made visible changes everywhere but there. I'm sure they've stepped it up behind the scenes, but still......

I suspect Disney has been hesitant over to much increased security at Disney Springs for a couple of reasons mostly to due with money, logistics and the possible difference in Florida Law over California laws when it comes to gun legislation. The money aspect is, I am sure Disney Springs with its many different ways to enter would be both a pain to lockdown as well as patrol. Second the Law Enforcement I mostly see at Disney Springs tend to be local law enforcement and not Disney employees, so Im sure there are things that have to be handled there. Also Disney Springs is open to the public and free to walk around, there is no one gate or two gates you have to go to, to gain access and since it has alot of partnerships with retailers who I am sure have large rental bills, Disney prob doesnt want to scare off any of the foot traffic. As people have mentioned Disney Springs isnt making as much profit as Disney hoped. Profit is key to attracting more stores and keeping the ones there paying rent.

Also the gun law part which I will admit I am no expert on when it comes to Florida is quite loose. Florida is a stand your ground state and although Disney has done one hell of a job in pushing back on firearms at any of its properties, I am assuming there are more significant legal boundaries to deal with in Florida than perhaps lets say California. Now again I am not a legal expert nor am I trying to start any type of discussion on Gun Control or anything like that, I am just saying due to the unique situation, size, economy and legality Disney faces in Florida with Disney Springs over Downtown Disney in California their are issues that make the increased security we see at the parks less likely to be seen at Disney Springs.

In saying all of that, I have noticed the last couple of times I went there are more K9 patrols, not sure if that has to do with any particular Disney security strat but just something I have noticed

They have done some additional things behind the scenes that can’t be posted here for obvious reasons, if that makes you feel any better.

I thought about this when we visited Universal a couple of months ago. The security check point was much more thorough than anything Disney does, you can’t even get into City Walk without going through the metal detector. It made me feel safer there and I appreciated that they are making a strong effort to at least appear like a harder target.

I suspect Disney has been hesitant over to much increased security at Disney Springs for a couple of reasons mostly to due with money, logistics and the possible difference in Florida Law over California laws when it comes to gun legislation. The money aspect is, I am sure Disney Springs with its many different ways to enter would be both a pain to lockdown as well as patrol. Second the Law Enforcement I mostly see at Disney Springs tend to be local law enforcement and not Disney employees, so Im sure there are things that have to be handled there. Also Disney Springs is open to the public and free to walk around, there is no one gate or two gates you have to go to, to gain access and since it has alot of partnerships with retailers who I am sure have large rental bills, Disney prob doesnt want to scare off any of the foot traffic. As people have mentioned Disney Springs isnt making as much profit as Disney hoped. Profit is key to attracting more stores and keeping the ones there paying rent.

Also the gun law part which I will admit I am no expert on when it comes to Florida is quite loose. Florida is a stand your ground state and although Disney has done one hell of a job in pushing back on firearms at any of its properties, I am assuming there are more significant legal boundaries to deal with in Florida than perhaps lets say California. Now again I am not a legal expert nor am I trying to start any type of discussion on Gun Control or anything like that, I am just saying due to the unique situation, size, economy and legality Disney faces in Florida with Disney Springs over Downtown Disney in California their are issues that make the increased security we see at the parks less likely to be seen at Disney Springs.

In saying all of that, I have noticed the last couple of times I went there are more K9 patrols, not sure if that has to do with any particular Disney security strat but just something I have noticed
Just curious as to where people are hearing that Disney Springs is not performing as well as Disney had hoped?

I can't find anything online in this regard.

Thanks in advance!

Just curious as to where people are hearing that Disney Springs is not performing as well as Disney had hoped?

I can't find anything online in this regard.

Thanks in advance!
Everything I’ve heard says it’s performing pretty well. A lot of the stores do really well. Obviously some begged than others but overall the expansion has been a success.

Everything I’ve heard says it’s performing pretty well. A lot of the stores do really well. Obviously some begged than others but overall the expansion has been a success.
That’s honestly what I was able to see for myself. Walkways are always crowded at night and some stores are still nightmares navigating all through the people (cough cough Lego, World of Disney). And to be honest we can’t judge all of Disney Springs’ solely on the addition of flavortown. The new stores aren’t eating people like the original tenants but it’s still doing really respectable considering how common some of the stores are...

The parking garages are still the best things to ever happen to Disney Springs. I try not to think about the olden days of my family finding a spot just as much as I try not to think about Disney’s undercover security. There that’s back on topic though I liked that this was going really lighthearted for the subject matter

Disturbing and sad. I guess the bright spot (if there is one) is that the presence of security/police was a deterrent. Albeit temporary in this case.
Personally, I applaud the recent steps by Disney to increase security. They seem to be getting quite a bit of pushback on the daily room check thing but this illustrates that there are already serious security threats. I am all for whatever makes us safer on vacation.

Heres the thing with the Disney Springs rumor about it not doing well. Its is doing fine or even great compared to other outside malls of its size. The dinning portion of it is deff pulling its weight but in saying that, Disney spent alot of money switching it from Downtown to Disney Springs and is charging a high premium per square foot for retail space. Most retail corps tend to base a location both off of sales and foot traffic compared to costs. Since Most if not all the retail stores have to be open from 10am to 11:30 pm which is a longer day then most of these companies other retail locations, they have a higher operating cost for day to day as well as the monthly premium for rental space. I could go on and on about other parts of this, but im sure it would become more like a class and that is not why any of us go to this Board, so in short let me just better qualify my earlier comment. Disney Springs is not doing bad its just not Doing as well as Disney had hoped or the retailers who rent there had hoped for yet. Im sure profit is being made but you know Disney a little bit of profit is never good enough

We were in Disney when this happened, and I too, remember some mention of Disney being his initial target. Glad that the police and security presence at Disney Springs made him change his mind. Only wish he had not gone through with it elsewhere. Such a senseless tragedy.

We were in Disney Springs that night. I checked our pictures, but we left right around 10:00. The timestamp on the security video showing him there that night at 10:05, but he seemed to still be casing.

I certainly wish he'd been spooked out of it entirely like you said.

It occurs to me that whatever steps Disney takes, it can't win. There's been an ongoing thread with a lot of outrage, all about how Disney overstepped its bounds regarding privacy and hotel room searches after the Las Vegas shooter. But at Disney Springs, why isn't it harder to get into? Why isn't there more security everywhere?

It's just a no-win. Everyone views their priorities differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter